What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kenny Golladay, NYG (3 Viewers)

Stealthycat said:
I've went through the rookie WR hype too many times 

WR Sharpe last year the latest way too over hyped rookie  WR's - everyone looks great in camp
Yeah I wouldn't bother drafting him in redraft leagues this year... it he should get on the field in 3wr sets this year..

Whose the corner he faced here?  Cause he separated by like 10 yards here and looked natural.  Only one play in practice sure, but he looks good there.
DJ Hayden. He was beating up on Teez but so was everyone, including Aberdaris

1 HOF WR excelled as a rookie in DET

and that is why you do NOT get all hyped up about a WR like Golladay

or any rookie WR for that matter, because only a few of them hit and in DET not so many at all

Take it to the give up thread. The only thing that makes me hesitate with Kenny g is he is already 24, so he may be at his ceiling, but big fast and huuuuge hands. 
Well I was referring to the Calvin Johnson statement.  Caldwell isn't going to be there for much longer anyway. 

Take it to the give up thread. The only thing that makes me hesitate with Kenny g is he is already 24, so he may be at his ceiling, but big fast and huuuuge hands. 
Agreed but he did have a younger break out age in college so I'm not as worried as I would be if it was lets say his senior year.  His breakout age was 19.8 btw according to player profiler.  

Calvin Johnson before Jim Caldwell arrived, opened up his Herminator playbook, started kicking FGs and losing and made Calvin give up & retire.
Say what? Calvin was good as a rookie, but he didn't dominate. He wad the 3rd most productive WR on the Lions that year. Add to that, Caldwell has taken the Lions to the playoffs 2 of his 3 years as a coach. That is a lot better than any other coach the Lions had during the Calvin era. Calvin had 1500 and 12 in 14 games during his first year with Caldwell so I'm not sure how he was limited by Caldwell. 

Say what? Calvin was good as a rookie, but he didn't dominate. He wad the 3rd most productive WR on the Lions that year. Add to that, Caldwell has taken the Lions to the playoffs 2 of his 3 years as a coach. That is a lot better than any other coach the Lions had during the Calvin era. Calvin had 1500 and 12 in 14 games during his first year with Caldwell so I'm not sure how he was limited by Caldwell. 
Here.  Are you looking for my take?

Dr. Octopus said:
I doubt anyone thinks Golladay is going to "dominate" as a rookie. This is a dynasty thread.
That was a straw man argument as no one has said or implied that.

However, some people think he might have some fantasy appeal this season, particularly if Marvin Jones struggles again as he did after the first few weeks of 2016.

In any event, his dynasty stock has been steadily rising from a 3rd in rookie drafts to as low as the early 2nd in some leagues.

aren't they getting killed along the o-line with injuries right now? If true then I can see where TEs utilization is focused on protection. They need Stafford to be healthy. Golladay might get more opportunities with 3-WR sets as a result.

Because the idiot named Mike Martz was too busy signing and playing AzHakim and ignoring a superior WR.

Caldwell doesn't have what it takes to win in the playoffs. he coaches scared. Would rather take the 3 points and be down 4 than throw into the EZ and tie the game with a TD. He's had 1 good season and has gone downhill since then. 9-7 is nothing to write home about & they were in full reverse at the end of he season.

Faust said:
Let's see if Caldwell has the balls to throw into the EZ. He ignored Calvin so many times it was criminal, all to end up with a FG and a loss. As a new Golladay owner, I sure hope they fire him.

That was a straw man argument as no one has said or implied that.

However, some people think he might have some fantasy appeal this season, particularly if Marvin Jones struggles again as he did after the first few weeks of 2016.

In any event, his dynasty stock has been steadily rising from a 3rd in rookie drafts to as low as the early 2nd in some leagues.
Um, it's exactly what was asked.

Bump for the great first half today, 3 catches for 55 and 2 tds against the Colts.

Probably just about the right time to fire up the hypetrain.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be easy to say "consider who he's playing against" (back up reference) but the types of catches he's made in this game are big time on any level of football. He showed really good concentration and body control. He's trying to win the ball which rookies aren't always apt to do right away. They are used to running freely in college and are bigger and faster than the competition so that they don't need to fight for the ball. He kind of reminds me of a slightly taller Keenan Allen. Lanky but with fluid body control and sticky hands.

I'll say this, between Golladay and this rookie TE Michael Roberts, they will be much better in the redzone this year. Stafford is the real winner and is creeping up my board.

It would be easy to say "consider who he's playing against" (back up reference) but the types of catches he's made in this game are big time on any level of football. He showed really good concentration and body control. He's trying to win the ball which rookies aren't always apt to do right away. They are used to funning freely in college and are bigger and faster than the competition so that they don't need to fight for the ball. He kind of reminds me of a slightly taller Keenan Allen. Lanky but with fluid body control and sticky hands.

I'll say this, between Golladay and this rookie TE Michael Roberts, they will be much better in the redzone this year. Stafford is the real winner and is creeping up my board.
I believe he was going against Quincy Wilson the whole time. Wilson was a 2nd round pick this year and is projected to start. So he wasn't beating up on a great player, but it's no 4th string practice squad guy either. As for Roberts, he stunk. I am sure it will take awhile for him to be ready. TEs are notoriously slow at developing. 

I believe he was going against Quincy Wilson the whole time. Wilson was a 2nd round pick this year and is projected to start. So he wasn't beating up on a great player, but it's no 4th string practice squad guy either. As for Roberts, he stunk. I am sure it will take awhile for him to be ready. TEs are notoriously slow at developing. 
He fumbled twice with one recovered, true. These are pretty common first game rookie year jitters and lessons. However, he jumps off the screen with his size 6' 4" 270, scored 16 TDs last year in college and almost set the record at the combine for having the biggest hands EVER recorded. This makes me a bit giddy at his red zone possibilities. It's early and speculative,but if I were in dynasty, I'd be watching both of these guys closely. I might even take a late round flyer on Golladay in a redraft as a bye week TD prayer.

It would be easy to say "consider who he's playing against" (back up reference) but the types of catches he's made in this game are big time on any level of football. He showed really good concentration and body control. He's trying to win the ball which rookies aren't always apt to do right away. They are used to running freely in college and are bigger and faster than the competition so that they don't need to fight for the ball. He kind of reminds me of a slightly taller Keenan Allen. Lanky but with fluid body control and sticky hands.

I haven't really watched Golladay so the preseason highlights are my first impression of him.

I agree with you about the body control. On his first TD reception he is almost running backwards and he gets position on the ball without losing concentration. The second TD was a similar type of play where the QB is underthrowing him a bit and he is able to box the defender out coming back to the ball.

I definitely thought he looked good on these plays, it is somewhat of a risky throw at the same time though if a defender is able to get in front of him. Making plays like this consistently will earn the QBs trust to take these risks though.

I believe he was going against Quincy Wilson the whole time. 
His second TD was against Tevin Mitchel.

He fumbled twice with one recovered, true. These are pretty common first game rookie year jitters and lessons. However, he jumps off the screen with his size 6' 4" 270, scored 16 TDs last year in college and almost set the record at the combine for having the biggest hands EVER recorded. This makes me a bit giddy at his red zone possibilities. It's early and speculative,but if I were in dynasty, I'd be watching both of these guys closely. I might even take a late round flyer on Golladay in a redraft as a bye week TD prayer.
It's true that his size is imposing as possible red zone weapon but the issues with the fumbling and drops have been something plaguing him all during camp.

I did a draft today which was going on during the game and someone took Golladay in round 16 so he's popped up on redraft radar.

I haven't really watched Golladay so the preseason highlights are my first impression of him.

I agree with you about the body control. On his first TD reception he is almost running backwards and he gets position on the ball without losing concentration. The second TD was a similar type of play where the QB is underthrowing him a bit and he is able to box the defender out coming back to the ball.

I definitely thought he looked good on these plays, it is somewhat of a risky throw at the same time though if a defender is able to get in front of him. Making plays like this consistently will earn the QBs trust to take these risks though.
Now see I don't think QBs trust players with that throw (especially rookies) unless he's proving reliable in practice. 

Now see I don't think QBs trust players with that throw (especially rookies) unless he's proving reliable in practice. 
And some HC's truest even less. John Fox, long gone Jeff Fisher, Marvin Lewis, the clown in Detroit. Golladay should start. Jones is so bland.

On my radar but not expecting much.

In redraft; If he hits early in the season I would try to trade him as fast as I possibly could.  Otherwise he would probably be end of bench roster churn.

When trying to evaluate dynasty value for rookies, one thing I always look for is a steady stream of reports that "player X" stood out, starting in mini camp and running through the preseason. When a player generates a consistent amount of buzz, I take note. 

This would be one of those times I've taken note. Don't sleep on this guy. Don't expect him to start games for you in 2017, but this amount of consistent positive press is attention worthy.

That is a good point and I guess the silver lining related to my observation.

As always I am a Vikings fan, so I am viewing this from a perspective of how will the Vikings defense stop him. Being aware of this tendency could cause defenders to play technique that will allow them to undercut those routes. There is give an take with everything. If the defensive backs play more even with him so they can undercut his route on these throws behind him, then that opens things up for him to beat them over the top.

It is a good skill to have and I agree with you about him already earning trust with the QB and coaches from practice for them to execute these plays.

Aussie Guys NFL‏ @aussieguysnfl 1h1 hour ago

Kenny Galloday hype train in full effect!

Currently taking first team reps on outside with Tate playing the slot. #Lions @DetLionsPodcast

Rotoworld take:

Third-round pick Kenny Golladay worked primarily with the first-team offense for the first time in training camp Wednesday.

To this point, Golladay had practiced primarily with Jake Rudock and the second team. Golladay has outplayed second-team status, and is now getting a long look with the Matthew Stafford group. Beat writer Dave Birkett expects Golden Tate to move to slot receiver if Golladay wins a starting outside job across from Marvin Jones. Golladay remains a better Dynasty than re-draft investment, but it's past time we took him seriously as a 2017 fantasy factor.

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter 

Aug 16 - 8:20 PM

FWIW Evan Silva at rotowold came out with new dynasty rookie rankings today and moved Golladay all the way up to the #2 WR and #6 rookie overall 

SayWhat? said:
And he's got Mike Williams at #12. Not #12 overall, which might make a bit of sense.  At #12 amongst WRs.  Reactionary might be kind.  Silly.
If your dynasty rankings change that dramatically before a single game has been played, what's the point? Seems they are way too redraft orientated if you are going to dock a guy for missing the first month that much. 

Lions homer here and I'm fully on board the hype train. Just dealt Carroo and 2018 2nd for Kenny in one league and Tyrell Williams straight up in another. Over paid in both for now. Hoping these deals turn into steals down the road. 

:wub:

Why is that an ugly offer? Jones is arguably the more valuable player. I can see preferring Golloday (even before this recent news), but Jones was drafted well ahead of him in most rookie drafts.
I'm not a fan of Jones at all, he's a taller Tyler Boyd.  Both of whom I don't like.  He'll have 1 or 2 good seasons I bet, but at best he's Stevie Johnson.  I'd rather take the at best of Golladay who could be a featured #1.  

Users who are viewing this thread