What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kenny Golladay, NYG (1 Viewer)

I'm not a fan of Jones at all, he's a taller Tyler Boyd.  Both of whom I don't like.  He'll have 1 or 2 good seasons I bet, but at best he's Stevie Johnson.  I'd rather take the at best of Golladay who could be a featured #1.  
But your personal dislike of a player doesn't make it an "ugly offer" - it's actually a very fair (if not favorable to you) offer. You acted like the guy offered his 2019 fifth rounder for Golladay.

Golliday looks like a nice player but I would rather have Zones.
In dynasty, I agree.  Golladay looked impressive in his first NFL preseason action, but 2 TDs on 3 preseason receptions isn't going to vault him above Jones on my board.  If I owned Golladay in dynasty, I might actually be trying to cash in on his increased value right now.  Golladay for Mike Williams or John Ross?  Heck yeah!  Golladay for Zay Jones?  Most likely.

What are people predicting for him?

I'll say 450 yds and 4 TDs
I don't have a prediction but I would bet the over. Lions desperately need a red zone threat and we all know Stafford loves him some big strong receivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's still a raw route runner who needs time to get good, but he's got the physical tools to shine against vanilla defenses and second team defenders.  In college he got away with beating up on weak competition and never had to fine tune his skills.  That's not a knock on his work ethic, its just that he didn't have to learn NFL things, he needed to learn college things and he did.

I see him as a solid 2018 player who might flash before then but I wouldn't pay hype prices for him.  Let his current owner take on the risk and the reward of he has a monster season.  More likely his hype will die down when he is ok but not special in year one, his price drops down some like Shepard, Doctson, Boyd, Treadwell, Sharpe, etc, and look to speculate in the off season. If his owner won't budge for a reasonable price, there are other good buying opportunities elsewhere, don't be afraid to move on imo. 

I know next to noting about him, but at 6'4" and with good hands, he may put up unusual numbers for a rookie, like 50-500-9, if he masters catching the fade route. Not a prediction, just saying that folks might get excited by the prospect that he becomes a TD machine.

I know next to noting about him, but at 6'4" and with good hands, he may put up unusual numbers for a rookie, like 50-500-9, if he masters catching the fade route. Not a prediction, just saying that folks might get excited by the prospect that he becomes a TD machine.
Ran a 4.50, was dominant in college (in the MAC) and had a young breakout age. He checks a lot of boxes for a good WR prospect. 

pecorino said:
...and I think you are spot on for not knowing him. The thing people are not considering as much as they should here is the fact that the Lions were void of red zone weapons after Calvin left. Ebron hasn't materialized there yet and I don't even need to mention Tate & Jones. GM Bob Quinn made an obvious effort to address this in the draft and it's no coincidence that Golladay is already sniffing first team reps with Stafford. They need to get acquainted quick because this team needs this type of player and will force feed him at the goal line if he can prove able.

Ebron continues to miss time with his hamstring, which is something that could dog him all season. Kenny G looks like a good bet to see more targets, especially in the red zone. 

Missed that game. Anyone see how he looked. He needs to be on the field ALL THE TIME.
His second TD catch was ridiculous. Ball overthrown in tight coverage. He separated and dove and completely extends himself to haul the ball in.   I thought he had no chance at the ball and yet he caught it cleanly.  He also got several looks at the goal line.  Tate was clearly the go to guy, but the Lions looked like they really like matching Galladay up against shorter defenders in the end zone.  Also like to use him deep.  He won't get a lot of receptions but will get his TD's.  

:thumbup:

:excited:  Still can't trust doofus to put up points until they fall far behind. He'd much rather die in the redzone and kick a FG until he has to score a TD.
Doofus last two years had a QB rating well over 90 and has been well over 4000 yards the last 6 years.  He is certainly better late in the game, but he is one tough ### dude and one heck of a competitor.  Will do anything to win a game.  I am not gonna hate him for winning football games with a relatively talentless team.  

Doofus last two years had a QB rating well over 90 and has been well over 4000 yards the last 6 years.  He is certainly better late in the game, but he is one tough ### dude and one heck of a competitor.  Will do anything to win a game.  I am not gonna hate him for winning football games with a relatively talentless team.  
Not Stafford. The guy that is holding him back. his HC.

Not Stafford. The guy that is holding him back. his HC.
Caldwell is stupid. But he has assembled a pretty good set of assistant coaches.  The Lions have outperformed their talent level during his time there.  Their defense looks better than ever.  Did not care for some of the play calling on offense.  But I don't see Caldwell as holding him back.  He was used effectively today. 

Caldwell is stupid. But he has assembled a pretty good set of assistant coaches.  The Lions have outperformed their talent level during his time there.  Their defense looks better than ever.  Did not care for some of the play calling on offense.  But I don't see Caldwell as holding him back.  He was used effectively today. 
If he was smart, he would just not show up come game time and let JBC run the offense without being reigned in.

So what are the thoughts for this week? Disappeared last week but good matchup. He may be my best option. Anyone starting him?

So what are the thoughts for this week? Disappeared last week but good matchup. He may be my best option. Anyone starting him?
The pecking order by snap count:

Marvin 93.23% (good run blocker/deep threat)

Tate 79.70% (possession & YAC)

Golladay 58.89 (beast)

TJJ 25.56%

By Utilization / targets:

Tate - 16

Golladay & Theo: 10

Ebron - 8

Jones Jr - 7

Abdullah & Other Jones - 4

Fells - 1

Small sample size but that top 7 is exactly what I thought would happen this year. KG is a playmaker, but being a rookie & not the centerpiece, you have to pick your spots. I don’t think this is the week but he will be a RZ force all year so heck why not flex him?

The Lions are #1 in the red zone this year through 2 games; Stafford is 5/5 with 4 TDs.

How do you guys feel about premtively stashing Golladay. Should be back after the bye and Tate is projected to miss multiple weeks?

Did just that yesterday. Thinking about rolling the dice on him this week due to bye week problems, assuming he practices fully all week. Floor is certainly low, but there aren't too many great options out there at this point anyway and you gotta like his upside if Tate is out. 

He is someone I targeted in the draft and didn't get. He's sitting on my WW and due to bye week fills I can only put a claim on him or Corey Davis this week.

Kenny Golladay played 11-of-52 snaps (21 percent) Week 10 against the Browns.

Golladay made the most of his work, catching two passes for 64 yards on three targets, but he ended up playing 18 fewer snaps than T.J. Jones in his first game back from injury. That should change as the rookie gets back to full health, but Golladay is likely to be overvalued on the waiver wire this week.

Haven't seen much of Detroit, but over his last three games he caught 6 of 10 targets for 177 yards - that's 17.7 yards per target and 29.5 yards per reception. Obviously that's not sustainable and a small sample size, but he didn't pad those stats with one fluke game either - 2 catches in every game. Excited to see what he can do with more volume. 

Haven't seen much of Detroit, but over his last three games he caught 6 of 10 targets for 177 yards - that's 17.7 yards per target and 29.5 yards per reception. Obviously that's not sustainable and a small sample size, but he didn't pad those stats with one fluke game either - 2 catches in every game. Excited to see what he can do with more volume. 
Golladay owner here. Former Calvin Johnson owner as well. Don't expect a lot. Caldwell's m.o. is to do nothing in the first half and try and keep it close and then hope to win in the 4th Q. Until he is gone, Detroit fantasy wise is a wasteland in the 1st half and you have to hope the other team builds a lead, forcing Caldwell to let Stafford air it out. If they draft a really good RB and get OL help, RB could be useful in Caldwell's horrible scheme. He's not going anywhere for a long time because he's figured out this approach beats crappy teams and keeps him employed.

Good matchup this week, i'm desperate for a replacement for Cooper. Crazy to start him?
It's a hail mary dart throw right now. He only gets 3 looks a week and most of them are low percentage deep throws. In a PPR, you can do better. If you get bonus pts. for longer TDs he may be able to help there. Keep in mind though that we don't know what Stafford is capable of with that hand injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is everyone sleeping on KG going into year two?

Just two days ago, the Lions GM says he has a "tremendous amount of upside."

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider-short/article-1/Quinn-Golladay-has-a-tremendous-amount-of-upside/a56e4269-b6dc-4b86-9229-c6b9c37f7f76

Nate Burleson: Detroit Lions' Kenny Golladay 'next up' for NFL stardom

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/02/12/kenny-golladay-detroit-lions-fantasy-football/328764002/

I saw somewhere Golden Tate was saying Golladay is a number one but can't find it now...If people are sleeping on this guy, buy, buy, buy!

This guy might be a really good sleeper iyam. Playing with Stafford, had a decent rookie season, and will likely improve as a sophomore. Keep your eye on him.

This guy might be a really good sleeper iyam. Playing with Stafford, had a decent rookie season, and will likely improve as a sophomore. Keep your eye on him.
I don’t think he’s really a “sleeper,” try buying him in dynasty and you’ll find a tough market. With Tate nearing the end of his contract and a qb that is still pretty young despite being around for years his arrow is pointing up. Maybe a sleeper for redraft, but in dynasty he’s hard to acquire.

I don’t think he’s really a “sleeper,” try buying him in dynasty and you’ll find a tough market. With Tate nearing the end of his contract and a qb that is still pretty young despite being around for years his arrow is pointing up. Maybe a sleeper for redraft, but in dynasty he’s hard to acquire.
I wonder how much Tate gets on the open market? Lions should definitely try to keep him though.

This.  He's no "sleeper" in dynasty.  I'd pay a 2nd for him and wouldn't sell for less than a late 1st.

TIM AND MIKE: Minicamp Day 1 observations

Excerpt:

Golladay in stride:
Wide receiver Kenny Golladay was impressive as a rookie last year - 28 catches, three TDs, and 17.0 yards per catch in only 11 games - and he looked like a veteran on the first day of minicamp. His routes were sharp, and he cut and accelerated after catching the ball with power and no hesitation. - Mike O'Hara

I’ve been trying to acquire him and simply can’t. I think you could make a case for him over any of the WRs in this class honestly, so it would likely take something like 1.09. I was turned down for 1.12. 

Users who are viewing this thread