What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sportscenter (1 Viewer)

FreeBaGeL

Footballguy
Just finished a 10 minute segment on the best rap album and discussion of how the NWA made gansta rap mainstream.

Now doing a 10 minute segment with some Mentalist named Oz Pearlman trying to prove that he can read people's minds.

What the hell does any of this have to do with sports?

Just finished a 10 minute segment on the best rap album and discussion of how the NWA made gansta rap mainstream.

Now doing a 10 minute segment with some Mentalist named Oz Pearlman trying to prove that he can read people's minds.

What the hell does any of this have to do with sports?
People still watch SportCenter?

I spent some time with a friend who does espn production. He says that the place is a mess with lots of layoffs and panicking about ratings.

I told him the powers that be had let the "E" in ESPN go to their heads, he says they know but that's all Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't need to be a highlights/news program anymore. There are too many options for that stuff nowadays. That's why they are losing subscribers, more than any recent changes that have happened - which is a media giant flailing to recover the unrecoverable (just like the music industry has done in the last 15-20 years). 

I'm not defending ESPN, just that I understand what they're trying to do. They'll lose, but business behemoths always do eventually through short-sightedness. They were already behind when threw up a pay wall on their web site way back when.

I miss the days when, leading up to the ESPYs, they would air commercials every morning for a different "Sport X play of the year..." to be voted on. 

Since nobody has any reason to tune in for highlights or scores anymore, I guess they had to try SOMETHING.

But between the absurd talking head make stupid arguments shows (The salaries of idiots like Skip Bayless and Steven A Smith make me physically ill) and this abortion re-branding of the 6 o'clock sports center, they're basically making everyone hate them.

They'll totally crap out eventually, and when that happens, i just hope all of their lives sports properties go someplace where i can easily watch them, The only downside to the inevitable fall of ESPN is that we wont get anymore 30 for 30s.

I went from the spring of 2013 to last summer without home internet service, relying on ESPN and a single text pal for updates on all things sport. I cannot tell you what an irritating experience that was and the utter crap i witnessed just to read the crawl.

Less is more

I guess it goes against company expansion and stuff but lots of these companies grow so much they have to fill time slots and the quality of the programming gets thinned so much the content suffers.

Yeah the new 6 o'clock center is lame.  I don't mind the his and hers hosts but just don't like the concept used for sports enter.  Those guys were better in their previous slot.  Big opportunity for them but I think it hurts them in the end

Yeah the new 6 o'clock center is lame.  I don't mind the his and hers hosts but just don't like the concept used for sports enter.  Those guys were better in their previous slot.  Big opportunity for them but I think it hurts them in the end
Ratings are up quite a bit for the 6:00 SC from last year. 

Spoiler: all of you are old and none of you are in their target demo. 

Since nobody has any reason to tune in for highlights or scores anymore, I guess they had to try SOMETHING.

But between the absurd talking head make stupid arguments shows (The salaries of idiots like Skip Bayless and Steven A Smith make me physically ill) and this abortion re-branding of the 6 o'clock sports center, they're basically making everyone hate them.

They'll totally crap out eventually, and when that happens, i just hope all of their lives sports properties go someplace where i can easily watch them, The only downside to the inevitable fall of ESPN is that we wont get anymore 30 for 30s.
I hated the post-Patrick/Olberman clones back in the 90s who thought they were so clever. I've been out of Sports Center's target demographic for 25 years. Now, some of you guys younger than me are. Join the club and congrats on surviving long enough to think you're the first generation to not like it - I wasn't either, as I didn't even have cable until the late 80s.

I like PTI but as soon as Hill and Smith come on, I cannot change the channel fast enough because it's horrible but also depressing.  Depressing because It reminds me SO much of MTV when they started doing game shows, "reality" t.v., news, etc. everything, I mean EVERYTHING except for music!  It just blows my mind. . . and it just blows too.  RIP ESPiN, you had a decent run.

It doesn't need to be a highlights/news program anymore. There are too many options for that stuff nowadays. That's why they are losing subscribers, more than any recent changes that have happened - which is a media giant flailing to recover the unrecoverable (just like the music industry has done in the last 15-20 years). 

I'm not defending ESPN, just that I understand what they're trying to do. They'll lose, but business behemoths always do eventually through short-sightedness. They were already behind when threw up a pay wall on their web site way back when.
Ah, yes. Espn Insider. Charge people for something you can find 20 other places for free minus the opinions and hot takes. Similar to fantasy sites charging for rankings while there's 100's of them out there for free. 

I hated the post-Patrick/Olberman clones back in the 90s who thought they were so clever. I've been out of Sports Center's target demographic for 25 years. Now, some of you guys younger than me are. Join the club and congrats on surviving long enough to think you're the first generation to not like it - I wasn't either, as I didn't even have cable until the late 80s.
Sweet Sassy Molassy!

What really puts them behind is that they're paying 7.3 Billion with a B Dollars for sports rights licenses this year alone. Netflix spends $7B, NBC spends $4.3B, CBS spends $4B, and Amazon pays $3.2B for content a year. ESPN is the biggest spender in all of media for content.

At their current rate of losing subscribers, they will no longer be profitable starting in 2021. Their content costs will be above their subscription income.
Yep. They are screwed. They're locked in for years under these huge contracts. So are the other broadcasters, though they all have other content to offset the losses - this is ALL ESPN has. They're fighting a rear-guard defense similar to the Polish (horsed!) cavalry in 1939. 

ESPN will never be screwed. Or at least, they'll always be less screwed than their competitors over time because they have the most live content. 

40 million people not paying the $5/month anymore will just be replaced by 10 million paying $20/month under new packages.  

ESPN will never be screwed. Or at least, they'll always be less screwed than their competitors over time because they have the most live content. 

40 million people not paying the $5/month anymore will just be replaced by 10 million paying $20/month under new packages.  
Then that 10mm would become 1mm and ain't nobody picking up that slack. 

I'm 33 years old with disposable income. (make decent money and don't have any kids to spend it) If I'm not their target demographic, they're doing it wrong.

What kid of people are shows like The Six supposed to appeal to? (both my brothers are in their 20's and very up on pop culture and neither one can stomach it) Are these really demographics that advertisers are all that psyched about? And are these people really watching commercials? I'm guessing they're probably just checking twitter until they hear Steven A Smith start yelling again.

This just feels like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic to me.

Then that 10mm would become 1mm and ain't nobody picking up that slack. 
You think in whatever the next form of cable TV is, only a million people would pay for access to NBA games, college football (including playoff), baseball, etc? 

I'm not denying the cable TV landscape is changing (it is, and very quickly). But about 99% of all channels will die before ESPN does, including all of their competitors. 

Capella said:

I am younger than most of this board. Pretty much everyone I talk sports with in person of my age range (i.e. the target demographic) routinely craps on ESPN compared to what it was 10 or so years ago.

Sullie said:
I like PTI but as soon as Hill and Smith come on, I cannot change the channel fast enough because it's horrible but also depressing.  Depressing because It reminds me SO much of MTV when they started doing game shows, "reality" t.v., news, etc. everything, I mean EVERYTHING except for music!  It just blows my mind. . . and it just blows too.  RIP ESPiN, you had a decent run.
Good point about MTV.

I'd like to think they started going downhill when they expanded out to Los Angeles a decade ago. It was not so coincidentally around this time that they started to expand more on the "entertainment" portion of their programming.

I am younger than most of this board. Pretty much everyone I talk sports with in person of my age range (i.e. the target demographic) routinely craps on ESPN compared to what it was 10 or so years ago.
I'm not here to defend espn. I've never watched any of their shows, only live sports. All I'm saying is the ratings for the 6:00 SC and the SVP SC are up over their predecessors. 

Phil Elliott said:
MTV and VH1 use to do nothing but play music videos   :shrug:
The funny thing is this episode of Sportscenter spent more time talking about music than MTV does.

ETA: And more time talking about psychic's than a Miss Cleo informercial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capella said:

Young people aren't the target on any basic cable channel, period. 

I had hope for Fox Sports to produce sports news that was just news, no editorials. Nope, the two Canadian guys they put out there are worse than ESPN.

I think there's a spot out there for a sports news network to simply produce sports news without the commentators trying to be funny or cheeky. 

I stopped watching years ago when every episode tried to pull at the heartstrings.  I want a break from that.
I feel like this specifically is more a product of ABC execs overreaching control of ESPN. Same TV station that runs The Bachelor, used to run Undercover Boss, Wife Swap, Extreme makeover Home Edition. You know the shows that have people crying at the end of literally every episode. Can only do that emotion for so long before you just need a break. When ESPN did the My Wish stuff ONE week a year was just enough where it was pleasant to watch but not yet annoying.

One show I seem to enjoy whenever I happen to stumble upon it that doesn't seem to have changed too much despite a new host is the sports reporters on Sunday morning.

Users who are viewing this thread