What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Adam Thielen - CAR (1 Viewer)

LOL, how many Thielens are out there who go unnoticed by major college programs and shuffled off by the NFL? It's amazing what he's accomplished. Its' a credit to the Vikes they just continued to promote talent. The NFL needs more of this.
The Vikings just got lucky that Thielen payed to try out for the Vikings.

Its kind of like when John Randle did the same thing.

I didn't know that. Even more incredible.
Yeah they were not invited by the Vikings or anything. Both players chose the Vikings and tried out for them. Both were impressive enough that they were signed. 

With Thielen he is from Minnesota and a Vikings fan, his favorite player is Randy Moss. So its easy to understand why he chose the Vikings to try out for.

With John Randle he is from Texas. He just liked the reputation of the purple people eaters and wanted to be part of that tradition.

Diggs likely out Sunday. It would be a shock if Thielen doesn't get 12+ targets tomorrow. Will he keep his TD streak going?

Diggs being out, this mystery calf injury and Slay on him a chunk of time all sucked. Plus, Cousins was sleepwalking all game. Perfect time for a bye for them.

Yeah good time for a bye, agreed. Still gotta say, even in his worst week with the circumstances you just laid out, he caught a TD. His floor is remarkable. 

he was limited with a calf/lower back injury in practice. I bit concerning since he just had an extra week to rest. For playoff bound teams, I hope he's 100% weeks 14-16

Adam Thielen (back, calf) was limited at Wednesday's practice.

Thielen seemed healthy before the bye week but apparently he's now dealing with calf and lower-back injuries. Regardless, the fifth-year stud should be fine for Sunday night's game in Chicago. Thielen needs just 53 more yards to lock up his second-straight 1,000-yard receiving season.

Source: Minnesota Vikings on Twitter 

Nov 14 - 5:21 PM

Adam Thielen caught 8-of-9 targets for 125 yards and a touchdown in Week 12 against the Packers.

Thielen got off to another slow start, with his first catch not coming until halfway through the second quarter. He finished strong -- leading the Vikings in receving and scoring a touchdown on a broken red-zone play. Thielen is back to his 100-yard standard after a two-game scuttle. He's a top-10 receiver play for Week 13 against the Patriots.

Nov 26 - 12:02 AM

Price check on this guy. What would you hope get or what would you give in terms of 2019 or 2020 pick?

Price check on this guy. What would you hope get or what would you give in terms of 2019 or 2020 pick?
he is worth more than a single pick. 

It would depend what position in round 1. if we are talking 1st rounders only, I wouldnt take less than a top 4 2019 and 2020 1st

Nobody wants to pay what he's worth. I had one offer Corey Davis straight up. Easy pass. 

I would have no problem paying two 1sts for him. If one is a high 1st I would try a 1st and a 2nd.

You gotta pay the man to lock him up. He's that good. Where the money comes from, as Biabreakable points out, is another story and one I don't know quite well enough. But Thielen has earned his payday.  

Anyone else find it odd that the Vikings are supposed to be a committed run first team and fired their pass happy OC last season and yet have just given big long term deals to a QB and 2 WRs?

Anyone else find it odd that the Vikings are supposed to be a committed run first team and fired their pass happy OC last season and yet have just given big long term deals to a QB and 2 WRs?
Are they really a committed run-first team? One look at the contracts they're doling out and it looks like they want to throw the ball. Maybe that's just the going rate for those positions, though, and really they want to run the ball down other teams' throats.

:shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they really a committed run-first team? One look at the contracts they're doling out and it looks like they want to throw the ball. Maybe that's just the going rate for those positions, though, and really they want to run the ball down other teams' throats.

:shrug:  
They fired their OC mid year and the HC criticized him multiple times last year for not running the ball enough. Once the new OC took over, their average number of pass attempts a game dropped by 12 (small sample size). I feel like the coach has been very vocal about wanting to be a run based team.

They fired their OC mid year and the HC criticized him multiple times last year for not running the ball enough. Once the new OC took over, their average number of pass attempts a game dropped by 12 (small sample size). I feel like the coach has been very vocal about wanting to be a run based team.
Fair enough. Good stat and analysis.

Maybe there's a disconnect between the front office and the coach. There's a lot of money tied up in Cousins and backs that aren't exactly passing the durability test with flying colors. 

Fair enough. Good stat and analysis.

Maybe there's a disconnect between the front office and the coach. There's a lot of money tied up in Cousins and backs that aren't exactly passing the durability test with flying colors. 
I mean I guess they have to spend money somewhere and they haven’t got any good young OL to invest in but it seems like the team is being built to being a pass heavy attack. I think Kyle Rudolph has a top 10 contract for a TE and one of Dalvin’s best traits is as a receiver.

I mean I guess they have to spend money somewhere and they haven’t got any good young OL to invest in but it seems like the team is being built to being a pass heavy attack. I think Kyle Rudolph has a top 10 contract for a TE and one of Dalvin’s best traits is as a receiver.
Yeah, that's sort of why I wrote what I wrote. But if running the ball is what the head coach wants, and the play calling reflects that, then what to say?

Yeah, that's sort of why I wrote what I wrote. But if running the ball is what the head coach wants, and the play calling reflects that, then what to say?
Yeah I agree with you. I think the issue in general is their OL is trash so they didn’t have the protection to throw the ball with success. They probably should draft OL in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

Yeah I agree with you. I think the issue in general is their OL is trash so they didn’t have the protection to throw the ball with success. They probably should draft OL in the first 2 or 3 rounds.
That's what I've heard, but don't know enough about the day-to-day with that to comment intelligently. I remember the year before last with Bradford was really bad and he was basically throwing the ball while ducking out of the way, although his ANY/A for that year was 8.38, so that's not terrible. Maybe it was more narrative than anything.  And Cousins had an ANY/A of 6.48 last year, which seems above average, as the average ANY/A in a given year is 5.35, according to SportingCharts.com.   

I think one big contract has to go. Either by trade or cut.

Rudolph is who I would cut. No idea what their plan is though.
I highly doubt they cut Rudolph. They want him to retire a Viking. They didn't even ask him to restructure this year.

If I had to guess, hate to even say this but looking at team history, they let Everson go and draft a DE in round 1. Then hope to hit on O-line later in the draft. Letting Everson go is not a huge deal with his problems and declining production last year. Drafting D high again when there is a glaring need at O-line is.

I highly doubt they cut Rudolph. They want him to retire a Viking. They didn't even ask him to restructure this year.

If I had to guess, hate to even say this but looking at team history, they let Everson go and draft a DE in round 1. Then hope to hit on O-line later in the draft. Letting Everson go is not a huge deal with his problems and declining production last year. Drafting D high again when there is a glaring need at O-line is.
Yeah I know. Wishful thinking on my part. That would be too easy.

They fired DeFlippo with 3 games left. 

Zimmer said after the season that he mainly did it to see if it would give the team a spark. It didn't really, they beat up on Miami but the whole team didn't play well against the Bears in week 17.

There definitely was a conflict of interest between Zimmer and DeFlippo and that mainly was because they were running the ball well at times but didn't stick with it.

As far as the resource allocation they have Cousins about $7 million more than they would have had to pay Keenum. I still think that was a good decision, or their best option available anyways. Diggs and Thielen earned their contracts making guys like Keenum look good.

They want to be balanced on offense. Kubiak should strengthen the running game but they will still pass the ball obviously with these strengths.

The Vikings have been transitioning from a running team they were with Peterson into more of a passing team in recent years.

Why would they want Rudolph to retire there? He’s been good but never a dominant player. 
It's more about him as a person I think, he has never been dominant but he is a good TE. Front office, coaches all love him and he is involved in the community to a point that there would be legitimate resentment from some fans if he were just let go.

They fired DeFlippo with 3 games left. 

Zimmer said after the season that he mainly did it to see if it would give the team a spark. It didn't really, they beat up on Miami but the whole team didn't play well against the Bears in week 17.

There definitely was a conflict of interest between Zimmer and DeFlippo and that mainly was because they were running the ball well at times but didn't stick with it.

As far as the resource allocation they have Cousins about $7 million more than they would have had to pay Keenum. I still think that was a good decision, or their best option available anyways. Diggs and Thielen earned their contracts making guys like Keenum look good.

They want to be balanced on offense. Kubiak should strengthen the running game but they will still pass the ball obviously with these strengths.

The Vikings have been transitioning from a running team they were with Peterson into more of a passing team in recent years.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with the deals they handed out. Just saying it looks like they should be a pass focused offense. As for Cousins vs Keenum, maybe I’m misunderstanding what you are saying. Cousins has the 3rd biggest QB contract and $84 million guaranteed. No way Keenum was costing anywhere near that.

Glad they locked up Thielen. He works extremely hard for his money and deserves it. A great message for the rest of the team. No matter who you are, even a walk on, you put in the work and play well you're going to get paid. 

I think the league is pretty much a passing league. That's where the money will continue to go. You can still commit to the run, but the market on paying for the run game is just alot cheaper nowadays.

They invested a ton in Kirk. They have to pay for the pieces around him. The OL will obviously continue to be the achilles heel until they find the right guys. It's difficult to pry solid veterans away there so they have to roll the dice on the draft.

As far as freeing cap at one point I heard talk about a draft trade of one of their CBs. I know Zim was critical of Rhodes in the off-season basically criticizing him for getting banged up so much last season and not contributing enough. I'd hate to lose him, would rather say goodbye to Waynes but imagine his cap number is alot bigger. I always hate when Rhodes has gone down in the last couple years because I expect teams to throw all over us.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings/

If I read this correctly, if Rhodes or Waynes is traded before June (click the drop down), Waynes actually provides more cap relief?

Nevermind, can someone educate me how this works? I never have taken the time to fully understand all the cap accounting.

Ilov80s said:
I don’t think there is anything wrong with the deals they handed out. Just saying it looks like they should be a pass focused offense. As for Cousins vs Keenum, maybe I’m misunderstanding what you are saying. Cousins has the 3rd biggest QB contract and $84 million guaranteed. No way Keenum was costing anywhere near that.
IIRC Keenum got $18 million and Cousins got $27 so a $9 million difference not $7.

Point being they were going to have to spend a lot regardless of who they signed. Might as well have been the best QB.

They want to have a balanced offense. They haven't been able to run the ball well enough yet to have that.

Incidentally Mike Clay recently did projections for the Vikings. He has Cousins throwing it 527 times which I believe is too low. He kinda laid the stank on Cousins ging him career low numbers.

cap'n grunge said:
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings/

If I read this correctly, if Rhodes or Waynes is traded before June (click the drop down), Waynes actually provides more cap relief?

Nevermind, can someone educate me how this works? I never have taken the time to fully understand all the cap accounting.
After June 1, players cut count 1/2 their dead money in the current season and the other 1/2 in the next.  It was originally intended to prevent teams from cutting a bunch of guys in December to slam it all on the current year.  Now with unused cap space rolling over it's pretty moot.  Teams can also "designate" one player as a post-June 1 cut but cut them early.  This benefits the player as it allows him to get out there earlier to talk to teams while the good money is still out there and lets the team get the (half) cap relief immediately - win/win.

Just noticed you're asking about trades.

If traded, all pro-rated signing bonus that hasn't yet been allocated to the team's cap is immediately charged.  That's why he's showing $7.2M - 3 years of $2.4M signing bonus prorate.  I don't know  why it would only be $2.4M after June 1 - there may be a specific note that only the current year's pro-rate hits the prior team an the new team assume that liability?  Never heard of it, but the NFL does all kinds of things like this.

Not a lot of talk about Thielen leading up to the season.  He's someone that I'm targeting in most of my drafts.  Was the top WR in fantasy through 8 weeks last year but obviously cooled off after the OC change in Minnesota.  I still think he's a WR1 going for an early WR2 price.  Thoughts on Thielen?

Not a lot of talk about Thielen leading up to the season.  He's someone that I'm targeting in most of my drafts.  Was the top WR in fantasy through 8 weeks last year but obviously cooled off after the OC change in Minnesota.  I still think he's a WR1 going for an early WR2 price.  Thoughts on Thielen?
Adam Thielen had a injury last year and he was not nearly as productive playing through it. I think this had more of an impact on his numbers later in the year than the change of offensive coordinator.

Folks across the fantasy community are downgrading the Vikings passing game based on them running the ball more in the last 3 games of the season. They extrapolate the numbers from those 3 games and conclude that the Vikings will throw the ball less than last season.

There is also a pretty widespread dislake of Kirk Cousins, which is a bit of sour grapes or something about Cousins getting paid a lot of money. I have never seen a QB perform as well as he does yet still be considered a bad QB because of team wins. The worst part of this is that I think Cousins believes in their narrative against him.

Last season Adam Thielen finished as the WR 7 in PPR formats. Despite his late season fall off, he was still only 12 points behind Michael Thomas.

It seems popular right now to fade Adam Thielen. Maybe some people still don't believe in this guy. 

Dalvin Cook has had 14 plus touches in 8 games the last 2 years.  In those 8 games Diggs has 8 TD's,  Thielen has 0.  Granted, that is a small sample size, but it will be interesting to track if Cook stays healthy.

Adam Thielen was featured on Twitter numerous times during training camp and the preseason making ridiculous catches look routine. As long as he stays healthy, he is in line for another near mortal lock to finish as a top 12 PPR WR.

Users who are viewing this thread