What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2019 San Francisco Giants Thread: The Waiver Wire OF Headquarters (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Infield:  You know 'em, you love 'em.   Hoping for a full season out of Joe Panik and average production out of 3B

Outfield:  Jarrett Parker appears to be the sole survivor of the LF battle.  I expect some HRs, lots of strikeouts and a revolving door of left fielders.  I'd like to trade Pence and Span for their 2014 selves but they are what are at this point of their careers.  I guess that'll do if they can stay in the lineup.

Rotation:  Bumgarner, Cueto, good Moore and good Samardzija are formidable.  Bad Moore, bad Smarj and Cain are not.  The starters are the strength of the team and hopefully stay that way

Bullpen:  Melancon in, Romo, Lopez and Casilla out, Will Smith dead.  There's no place to go but up from the second half of 2016.

I'm looking forward of another season of chasing the Dodgers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The obvious off-season areas to work on were the bullpen, LF and the back-end of the rotation.   0 for 3 so far. 

The bridge to Melancon is shaky.  Gorkys, Parker and Marrero are 2 for 38.  2017 Cain looks more like 2013-2016 model than the Cain of old.

Another good start from Cain.  He's earned the turn vs. the Dodgers.

The LF situation is worse than I even imagined it could be.  Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you Bossman Junior Upton or Drew Stubbs or Mac Williamson or Jae-gyun Hwang.  Woo woo woo.

Jeremy Affeldt in the booth was not good.

:loco:

The statement does not provide a timetable for Bumgarner’s return, only that the 27-year-old will be re-evaluated in a week.

Early reports suggest Bumgarner could miss between 6 to 8 weeks, according to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports.

I still think Mac Williamson will end up with the majority of LF ABs.  He's not very good but the bar is buried pretty deep right now.

I can't remember the last Giants player I irrationally hated like I do Chris Marrero.  I know nothing about him other than he's worked hard to get back to the show.  But he's become the vessel for all my frustration about the decade of crap left fielding since Bonds retired.  Even Nate Schierholtz and Fred Lewis weren't as terrible as Marrero.

LF Update

Jarrett Parker

Gorkys Hernandez

Chris Marrero

Aaron Hill

Brandon Belt

Eduardo Nunez

Kelby Tomlinson

Drew Stubbs

Justin Ruggiano

LF Update

Jarrett Parker

Gorkys Hernandez

Chris Marrero

Aaron Hill

Brandon Belt

Eduardo Nunez

Kelby Tomlinson

Drew Stubbs

Justin Ruggiano

Mac Williamson

Mike Morse

Orlando Calixte

In their past 24 games, the Giants' rotation has allowed 58 earned runs in 153 innings----a 3.41 ERA, lowering to an overall 4.26 what had been a 4.85 ERA in the initial 32 contests to open the year.  They've been doing something right.  With a healthy Melancon, I wouldn't count them out of contention this season.

AT&T always makes their pitching look better than it is but that hasn't been the problem. 

They're last in the NL in runs scored and near the bottom in every offensive category.  They have two regulars with an OPS over .700 and one of them (Belt) is batting .237.  I've been whining about their LF dumpster all year but the entire OF has been nonproductiive.  

LF  .205/.257/.288

CF .193/.266/.302

RF  .239/.278/.344

They'll need to stay in Philadelphia for a couple of weeks to get back into contention.

AT&T always makes their pitching look better than it is but that hasn't been the problem. 

They're last in the NL in runs scored and near the bottom in every offensive category.  They have two regulars with an OPS over .700 and one of them (Belt) is batting .237.  I've been whining about their LF dumpster all year but the entire OF has been nonproductiive.  

LF  .205/.257/.288

CF .193/.266/.302

RF  .239/.278/.344

They'll need to stay in Philadelphia for a couple of weeks to get back into contention.
You are right.  And those truly are abysmal stats for the outfield.  Their cumulative OF WAR numbers are MLB's worst by far.

LF Update

Jarrett Parker

Gorkys Hernandez

Chris Marrero

Aaron Hill

Brandon Belt

Eduardo Nunez

Kelby Tomlinson

Drew Stubbs

Justin Ruggiano

Mac Williamson

Mike Morse

Orlando Calixte

Austin Slater

Ryder Jones

I've waited patiently all year for Melvin Upton Jr.  Sad!

The 2017 Giants have been disappointing in every way imaginable.

I've looked at this roster countless times and I have no idea how the Giants fix themselves.  There should be some dead cat bounce next year but they're old and saddled with a mess of bad contracts.  They're looking at another $180M payroll without much to show for it.

Buster will be Buster but Cueto, Samardzija, Pence, Melancon and Belt are all at $17M or more and unlikely to perform like it.  Bumgarner with two $12M team options is their only marketable trade chip but I think you have to hope he's the same old horse next year so he can be moved at the deadline. 

If I squint my eyes and remember the rings, there's still some talent on the roster.  Their rotation could be decent and bullpens come and go.  Brandon Belt is hurt by the ballpark but can be a plus performer if he's healthy.  He's streaky though and will always have some spells where he looks like 2017 Panda.   Panik and Crawford aren't the problem either.  But man that outfield.  Denard Span has no business in CF anymore but he's under contract for another and will probably be out there again next year.  Hunter Pence hitting the career skids is as tough to watch as it was for another beloved, idiosyncratic Giant Tim Lincecum.  There's brave talk about making a run at Stanton but I don't know why he'd want to come here.  Maybe Christian Arroyo and Chris Shaw are ready but I don't see huge potential in either.

I'm willing to buckle down for a protracted rebuilding process but that's not something this ownership group has ever been willing to do.

Too depressed to bother setting up a new thread.  Come commiserate with @bananafish and me.

This was supposed to be the big even-year push for another title with their aging core group.  Maybe it still will but fate hung some crooked numbers up in the top of the 1st.

Fine, he's gonna be a good one.  I will be watching most late NL West games this year and can root for you guys (now that Vin Scully has retired) to help the thread.  

What's our pitching rotation and over under on wins?  Closer?  Base Stealer?  Posey still a catcher, or is he at 1B?  I have work to do!  Tia.

FWIW I loved using Reushel and Krewkow in the original RBI.  

I'm totally drawing a blank about who you're talking about.

It may be :homer:   but the Giants announcers are among the best in baseball.  Seattle's crew is pretty good and the Dodgers are fine except for Charlie Steiner.

Blach/Cueto/Holland/Stratton are pretty blach.  Tyler Beede and Tyler Herb are the other SPs on the 40 man so one of them will get first shot at SP5.  We'll probably see some Andrew Suarez as well.  The best case scenario is that the wheels stay attached until Bum and Smarj are back.

Bullpens are volatile so I'm hoping for the best there.  Melancon has barely pitched as a Giant so I can't really miss him that much.

The Giants don't steal bases.  It could be an effective tactic in the scarce runs environment of AT&T Park but they don't have the personnel to do it.

I'm totally drawing a blank about who you're talking about.

It may be :homer:   but the Giants announcers are among the best in baseball.  Seattle's crew is pretty good and the Dodgers are fine except for Charlie Steiner.

Blach/Cueto/Holland/Stratton are pretty blach.  Tyler Beede and Tyler Herb are the other SPs on the 40 man so one of them will get first shot at SP5.  We'll probably see some Andrew Suarez as well.  The best case scenario is that the wheels stay attached until Bum and Smarj are back.

Bullpens are volatile so I'm hoping for the best there.  Melancon has barely pitched as a Giant so I can't really miss him that much.

The Giants don't steal bases.  It could be an effective tactic in the scarce runs environment of AT&T Park but they don't have the personnel to do it.
Wow, that's kinda bleak.  Hopefully :cough: Chris Shaw brings some new energy before the year is over.  They really don't have a base stealer?  I saw Beede last year since I had him on a team.  

Wow, that's kinda bleak.  Hopefully :cough: Chris Shaw brings some new energy before the year is over.  They really don't have a base stealer?  I saw Beede last year since I had him on a team.  
Cutch should get double digit steals. 

Gregor Blanco had 15 SBs (with only 1 CS) last year in Arizona.  Gorkys Hernandez can run a bit.  But neither is roster worthy in any non-BTTF format.

If America expects a free taco, it's probably going to come from the AL team.

Hold up.  Who is this faBa...WHAT!  The FREAKIN PANDA?  Sandoval isn't retired.  He was why I hated my Red Sox for two years.  Say goodbye to not only free tacos, but chicken and beer too.  Oof!

Sorry, I'm out.

Strictly because of my love of what Eephus has brought to our community over the years.  Much respect.  When Vin Scully retired I needed a new NL team to pull for anyway.  My gramps was a Boston Braves fan, and I grew up on them with TBS, but I can't support a red state team anymore.
Gotcha.  I just figured coming from your neck of the woods it was illegal to not be a Red Sox fan.

Users who are viewing this thread