What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Closer Thread: Bad Day To Be A Blake (2 Viewers)

Ken Giles is having about as strange a year as any closer can have. 

He’s now 15 for 15 in save chances despite a 6 ERA and several meltdowns. 

He is averaging 10k/9, has a 3.3 FIP, a 3 SIERA, and 1BB/9. 

Conversely he has a 12% HR/FB ratio, a 60% strand rate, and has been a victim of some strange fielding plays including 3 catchable foul balls that were not caught and runners later scored in each instance. 

He has some of the best stuff in baseball but he does not handle situations well where he isn’t facing maximum pressure. He has a lot of Jose Valverde in him. 

so, I am pretty competitive this year in all redraft leagues.  I decided to go hitters first 4-5 rounds, then focused on stable closers who would not lose jobs. 

3 of those closers were knebel, osuna, chapman :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana:

Last edited by a moderator:
so, I am pretty competitive this year in all redraft leagues.  I decided to go hitters first 4-5 rounds, then focused on stable closers who would not lose jobs. 

3 of those closers were knebel, osuna, chapman :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana:
Osuna back in the role now.

Off-season closer news

Kyle Barraclough traded to Washington

Brad Ziegler announces his retirement.

Off-season closer news

Kyle Barraclough traded to Washington

Brad Ziegler announces his retirement.
Drew Steckenrider the early favorite to close in Miami. Not sure how useful that info will be in March, much less now.

All the Marlins got back was bonus pool money which I’m guessing is earmarked for Victor Victor Mesa.

Drew Steckenrider the early favorite to close in Miami. Not sure how useful that info will be in March, much less now.

All the Marlins got back was bonus pool money which I’m guessing is earmarked for Victor Victor Mesa.
Steckenrider pitched well to close out the year although a .125 BABIP in Sept/Oct didn't hurt.  He's not arbitration eligible for a couple more years so he not likely trade material either.  Lord knows the Marlins won't spend to bring in a closer.

Ziegler leaves the game with 105 SV.  I like pitchers with funky deliveries and his submarining was death to right handed bats.  He was always a guy I rooted for since he was with the Oaklands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trevor Rosenthal to Washington, presumably to compete with Barraclough for the highest BB/9

Joakim Soria opts out with the Brewers.  He could conceivably end up closing somewhere in 2019.  I stashed him in Serious Biz just in case.

Fernando Rodney staying with the Oaklands (1/$5.25M).  I didn't see this one coming.

Users who are viewing this thread