***Official MSNBC Thread***

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh Squissy

It's actually sort of sad at this point.  

Wow, you sure showed him. Edit: You actually kept going with this, too.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Regardless of whatever concerns people have with her, the presentation of her show is very personable, crediblevand knowledgeable.  Complete opposite of hannity.

Sorry, but just no.  This is revisionist history.

46 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

She won an Emmy for her coverage of the Flint water crisis. That is not revisionist history.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Regardless of whatever concerns people have with her, the presentation of her show is very personable, crediblevand knowledgeable.  Complete opposite of hannity.

Maddow is the best political analyst of my generation.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, tommyGunZ said:

Maddow is the best political analyst of my generation.  

Is this a burner or parody account?

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

I choose the word “presentation” intentionally.  How she presents info and carries herself is very journalistic - not always.

hannity looks like a national enquirer hit job.

• Thanks 1

Don't watch her much any more but one of the things I always admired about Maddow is she'd bring a guest on, summarize the back story to get everyone sort of caught up, and then go to her guest with something like 'Is that all accurate?"

Don't know if she still does that but I think it's an ideal start and wish it was a template copied by everyone else.

29 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Don't watch her much any more but one of the things I always admired about Maddow is she'd bring a guest on, summarize the back story to get everyone sort of caught up, and then go to her guest with something like 'Is that all accurate?"

Don't know if she still does that but I think it's an ideal start and wish it was a template copied by everyone else.

Yes.  She does that all the time. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Maddow is an unabashed liberal which is why guys like rock and Jon can’t stand her, but she’s brilliant and her show is absolutely an attempt to discuss current events from a factual basis.  There are no scandals, no tapes of her unfairly smearing people or rudely insulting guests.  She learned from one of the GOATS (Chris Matthews) while choosing to keep the discourse at a higher level.

I absolutely understand why many conservatives don’t like Maddow. But whenever someone insults her or compares her to Hannity/Carlson, they’re just showing their ignorance.  There is no Rachel Maddow on the right currently.  Hopefully someone will step up.  

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Maddow is an unabashed liberal which is why guys like rock and Jon can’t stand her, but she’s brilliant and her show is absolutely an attempt to discuss current events from a factual basis.  There are no scandals, no tapes of her unfairly smearing people or rudely insulting guests.  She learned from one of the GOATS (Chris Matthews) while choosing to keep the discourse at a higher level.

I absolutely understand why many conservatives don’t like Maddow. But whenever someone insults her or compares her to Hannity/Carlson, they’re just showing their ignorance.  There is no Rachel Maddow on the right currently.  Hopefully someone will step up.  

She pushes conspiracy theories 

• Laughing 1
11 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Chris Matthews....a GOAT?

The same guy who retired cause of (not his first) sexual harassment incident? The same guy who compared a jew winning a caucus to the Nazis taking France?

I'm not sure what your qualifiers for GOAT are, but these do not seem to be the work of one.

51 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Maddow is an unabashed liberal which is why guys like rock and Jon can’t stand her

I never said I couldn't stand her. She's at least the most palatable of the all news honks on cable news. I just can't believe you'd lay such laudatory praise as the "best political analyst" of our generation at her feet. I personally know better journalists, and certainly better analysts. She's got her thing, and that's her thing, but let's be a little parsimonious here instead of your unfettered adulation. It's too much.

12 hours ago, rockaction said:

I never said I couldn't stand her. She's at least the most palatable of the all news honks on cable news. I just can't believe you'd lay such laudatory praise as the "best political analyst" of our generation at her feet. I personally know better journalists, and certainly better analysts. She's got her thing, and that's her thing, but let's be a little parsimonious here instead of your unfettered adulation. It's too much.

She speculated that Putin had a pee tape & was using it to force Trump into withdrawing US troops near Russia. Also,  that Putin installed Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State.

Alex Jones is deplatformed and Maddow is celebrated as an intelligent commentator.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Philo Beddoe said:

She speculated that Putin had a pee tape & was using it to force Trump into withdrawing US troops near Russia. Also,  that Putin installed Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State.

Alex Jones is deplatformed and Maddow is celebrated as an intelligent commentator.

That's not accurate, she asked the question, if we were going to find out that "Russia has something on the new president" but never speculated about the pee tape or Putin installing Rex Tillerson as you so claim, and the YouTube clip posted with the tweet doesn't back that up, despite what it says.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1204913376259907587

I haven't watched Rachel Maddow in years.  Or Hannity, or Joy Reid, or any of these folks.  I feel like I'm a healthier person for it, but it makes it hard to weigh in on which of these people is better or worse than the others.

If somebody wants to tell me that Maddow is the best political analyst on cable news, I guess at this point I have to believe them.  So congratulations to Rachel Maddow for jumping over the world's lowest bar.  Somewhere out there is the world's best "99 pounds and below" linebacker.  I don't doubt that some 90-pound weaklings are better linebackers than others.  But they're not in the NFL and I'm not going to tune in to watch them play.

• Like 4
  • Laughing 1
  • 2 months later...

Senator Ron Johnson has chosen not to get the Covid vaccine, not because he doesn’t believe in vaccines, quite the contrary.  He in fact gets the flu vaccine every year and said so on Tucker Carlson last night.  He said that in this case he chose not to get the Covid vaccine on the advice of his Doctor because he already had Covid and has the antibodies, as verified by a recent antibody test.

Last night on MSNBC Pete Williams played a selectively edited portion of the Tucker interview to show Johnson saying he wasn’t getting the vaccine - without the part about him having the antibodies.  If that’s not bad enough Pete Williams then said “I know really smart educated substantial people who believe him to be a witting or unwitting asset of Russia” as he and a Doctor guest started mocking him like pompous asses. 

I honestly can’t believe what I’m seeing in this country anymore.  MSNBC is a complete rag.

• Love 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

Senator Ron Johnson has chosen not to get the Covid vaccine, not because he doesn’t believe in vaccines, quite the contrary.  He in fact gets the flu vaccine every year and said so on Tucker Carlson last night.  He said that in this case he chose not to get the Covid vaccine on the advice of his Doctor because he already had Covid and has the antibodies, as verified by a recent antibody test.

Last night on MSNBC Pete Williams played a selectively edited portion of the Tucker interview to show Johnson saying he wasn’t getting the vaccine - without the part about him having the antibodies.  If that’s not bad enough Pete Williams then said “I know really smart educated substantial people who believe him to be a witting or unwitting asset of Russia” as he and a Doctor guest started mocking him like pompous asses. 

I honestly can’t believe what I’m seeing in this country anymore.  MSNBC is a complete rag.

Horrible.

5 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

Didn’t watch the segment but Johnson absolutely deserves to be mocked. 

17 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

I almost spit beer out my nose when they had a segment on identifying misinformation online and in media.  

25 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Didn’t watch the segment but Johnson absolutely deserves to be mocked. 

You lost all credibility here by making a statement with no information.. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

Absolutely. It's pure propaganda at this point. Anyone who watches it and believe what they say deserves everything they get.

Stop watching cable new boys and you will be a happier person. I gave it up a year ago.  Been watching my local news and a little WGN America.   The anger and hate factor is dialed down compared to CNN, FOX and MSNBC.

• Like 3
On 3/2/2021 at 8:55 PM, squistion said:

She won an Emmy for her coverage of the Flint water crisis. That is not revisionist history.

Andrew Cuomo won an Emmy for what was later revealed to be a massive cover up from turning NY nursing homes into makeshift death camps. Of course, "cover up" is a bit controversial in that the information was out there far earlier, the MSM just didn't cover it.

I'm not sure Emmy wins should be the litmus of being great at something anymore. Actually, I'm almost sure the Emmys in general will take a hit ( on top of the already current hit against awards shows) over the linkage to Cuomo.

There is a media optics playbook and Maddow runs it to a T. I'll give her credit for that. She knows her audience and everything is curated specifically to cater to them.  She's kind of like Matt Stairs. Stairs carved out a career as a bench bat/pinch hitter and he knew his role, knew his limits and stayed in his lane. He worked on what he was good at and focused on that. Maddow stays in her wheelhouse and within her punching weight.

To understand Maddow, one has to understand someone like Spielberg. Spielberg is actually a very manipulative director. The term "manipulative" is often negative, and most of the time, it's deserved that way, but leading emotions and pushing an audience into a specific corner is a form of manipulation that's socially acceptable. Maddow's show is actually very manipulative, but effectively so. Then again, so is Ben Shapiro. He's manipulative but also good at it, within his core audience. I'm not saying Maddow is as talented as Spielberg, I am saying being fundamental is the core of any real success in life.

Maddow gives structure to those with cognitive dissonance. That's actually not an easy thing to do. It takes skill. I don't agree with nearly all of the time, but I recognize her ability to execute. If you've seen The Handmaid's Tale at all, if you wanted a place like Gilead to work, it would if you had someone like Maddow in front of your cameras. She's not selling a story, she's selling the perception of trust.

She's not as good as me at media optics, but she's got a decent right hook in her arsenal.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, GordonGekko said:

Andrew Cuomo won an Emmy for what was later revealed to be a massive cover up from turning NY nursing homes into makeshift death camps. Of course, "cover up" is a bit controversial in that the information was out there far earlier, the MSM just didn't cover it.

I'm not sure Emmy wins should be the litmus of being great at something anymore. Actually, I'm almost sure the Emmys in general will take a hit ( on top of the already current hit against awards shows) over the linkage to Cuomo.

There is a media optics playbook and Maddow runs it to a T. I'll give her credit for that. She knows her audience and everything is curated specifically to cater to them.  She's kind of like Matt Stairs. Stairs carved out a career as a bench bat/pinch hitter and he knew his role, knew his limits and stayed in his lane. He worked on what he was good at and focused on that. Maddow stays in her wheelhouse and within her punching weight.

To understand Maddow, one has to understand someone like Spielberg. Spielberg is actually a very manipulative director. The term "manipulative" is often negative, and most of the time, it's deserved that way, but leading emotions and pushing an audience into a specific corner is a form of manipulation that's socially acceptable. Maddow's show is actually very manipulative, but effectively so. Then again, so is Ben Shapiro. He's manipulative but also good at it, within his core audience. I'm not saying Maddow is as talented as Spielberg, I am saying being fundamental is the core of any real success in life.

Maddow gives structure to those with cognitive dissonance. That's actually not an easy thing to do. It takes skill. I don't agree with nearly all of the time, but I recognize her ability to execute. If you've seen The Handmaid's Tale at all, if you wanted a place like Gilead to work, it would if you had someone like Maddow in front of your cameras. She's not selling a story, she's selling the perception of trust.

She's not as good as me at media optics, but she's got a decent right hook in her arsenal.

Rachel Maddow won an Emmy for her reporting and coverage of the Flint water crisis in the category of "outstanding news discussion and analysis" against all other journalists/reporters who were elgible, while Cuomo just received an honorary Founders Award for his daily COVID briefings (he did not win an Emmy since this was not a competitive award category). 

Ron Johnson may believe in vaccines in general but he certainly doesn’t seem to believe in the COVID 19 vaccines because he’s been attacking them for months with spurious falsehoods while defending the ignorance of those on the far right who refuse to take it. The interview with Carlson must be viewed in this context. Both interviewer and interviewee deserves mockery and it’s not unfair at all. 

When are we getting the retraction and apology for Rebekah Jones' 400 appearances on this network?

:tumbleweed:

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
45 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Ron Johnson may believe in vaccines in general but he certainly doesn’t seem to believe in the COVID 19 vaccines because he’s been attacking them for months with spurious falsehoods while defending the ignorance of those on the far right who refuse to take it. The interview with Carlson must be viewed in this context. Both interviewer and interviewee deserves mockery and it’s not unfair at all. 

Putting your viewpoint aside for a moment...

The unethical tactics they used shouldn't be celebrated, do you think?

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, identikit said:

It’s obvious that he does. Johnson is a clown worthy of derision, yes, but that doesn’t give the media to be this dishonest except in Tim’s world where the MSM can do very little wrong. It’s pretty comical at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, identikit said:

I didn’t see the reporting in question. If what is being described here is correct then no obviously. But I’m skeptical that’s the case. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I didn’t see the reporting in question. If what is being described here is correct then no obviously. But I’m skeptical that’s the case. 

Love it when you have such a strong opinion on something you didn't even see.

Doubtful you ever will look into it.

Screws up your worldview.

Edited by identikit
  • Like 1
On 3/4/2021 at 2:16 PM, IvanKaramazov said:

I haven't watched Rachel Maddow in years.  Or Hannity, or Joy Reid, or any of these folks.  I feel like I'm a healthier person for it, but it makes it hard to weigh in on which of these people is better or worse than the others.

If somebody wants to tell me that Maddow is the best political analyst on cable news, I guess at this point I have to believe them.  So congratulations to Rachel Maddow for jumping over the world's lowest bar.  Somewhere out there is the world's best "99 pounds and below" linebacker.  I don't doubt that some 90-pound weaklings are better linebackers than others.  But they're not in the NFL and I'm not going to tune in to watch them play.

Seconded.  Why on earth anyone would watch ANY of these shows baffles me.  Utterly baffles me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sand said:

When are we getting the retraction and apology for Rebekah Jones' 400 appearances on this network?

:tumbleweed:

Right after they apologize for letting Avenatti on the network.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, John123 said:

Right after they apologize for letting Avenatti on the network.

They practically had him anointed as the Democrat nominee.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
18 hours ago, ekbeats said:

Here’s the segment in question.  

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/05/12/msnbcs_brian_williams_sen_ron_johnson_sounds_like_a_russian_asset_for_not_getting_vaccine.html

Johnson’s comments weren’t misconstrued or presented in an unfair context.  Your critique of Brian Williams was far more inaccurate and unfair than that segment.

@timschochet

18 hours ago, ekbeats said:

9 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/05/12/msnbcs_brian_williams_sen_ron_johnson_sounds_like_a_russian_asset_for_not_getting_vaccine.html

Johnson’s comments weren’t misconstrued or presented in an unfair context.  Your critique of Brian Williams was far more inaccurate and unfair than that segment.

@timschochet

The bolded is the shoddy journalism.

46 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

@timschochet

Hog wash.  They showed Johnson saying, "People ought to respect other peoples' freedom and liberty and their ability to choose whether to to get vaccinated or not."  That sentence was directly after where he told Tucker the reason he didn't get vaccinated, which they easily could have included.  But they didn't - because they wanted to paint him as a neanderthal when he was essentially doing the right thing based on the latest science and recommendations from his Doctor.   He says after that remark that he is concerned the vaccine is being pushed on children, who aren't in a position of informed consent (legitimate) and that the vaccine is not "fully approved".  That is a 100% correct statement - the vaccine is not fully approved yet, it is authorized as an emergency use measure.

Then they cut back to Williams and his exasperated guest who get their free ticket to act like know-it-all, holier-than-thou, elitist Liberals and make fun of the dumb Republican.  And if that wasn't enough Brian Williams then calls him a Russian asset, which in itself is completely untrue, borderline slanderous, totally irrelevant to what is being discussed, and flat out despicable.  It was a total hit job for Liberals like you to get cheap thrills.  It's everything that is wrong with the media today.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, timschochet said:

Do you ever provide links?  Seriously Tim - how you get away with unsubstantiated claims in here, while requiring everyone else to provide them, is a bad look.  Do better.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

Then they cut back to Williams and his exasperated guest who get their free ticket to act like know-it-all, holier-than-thou, elitist Liberals and make fun of the dumb Republican.  And if that wasn't enough Brian Williams then calls him a Russian asset, which in itself is completely untrue, borderline slanderous, totally irrelevant to what is being discussed, and flat out despicable.  It was a total hit job for Liberals like you to get cheap thrills.  It's everything that is wrong with the media today.

That's Williams' specialty

Amirite?

Edited by identikit
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, squistion said:

Rachel Maddow won an Emmy for her reporting and coverage of the Flint water crisis in the category of "outstanding news discussion and analysis" against all other journalists/reporters who were elgible, while Cuomo just received an honorary Founders Award for his daily COVID briefings (he did not win an Emmy since this was not a competitive award category). 

Thanks for clearing this up

• Laughing 6
1 hour ago, HellToupee said:

Thanks for clearing this up

You're welcome, I couldn't let this GordonGekko falsehood stand unchallenged:

"Andrew Cuomo won an Emmy for what was later revealed to be a massive cover up from turning NY nursing homes into makeshift death camps."

10 hours ago, squistion said:

The general public doesn't make that distinction.

Actor Wes Studi recently won an Academy Award ( Good for him, but not hard to see the woke/virtue signaling component of that decision)

He now has an Oscar. Will the general public, the average movie goer, really make a distinction between how he got the Oscar and why? Did he win one a long time ago for Dancing With Wolves? We don't remember.

In media optics, the first headline kills. Perception kills. And sadly, Andrew Cuomo apparently kills.

That Cuomo has an Emmy devalues the actual award. It now is associated with the coverup and death of those who could not defend themselves. People could not even go to see their dying relatives due to lockdown restrictions. All awards shows are already under fire for the cancel culture/wokeness/non stop political infusion into their narratives.

Split hairs if you wish. Cuomo has an Emmy, there was coverup, people died, the MSM shaded down on the accusations against Cuomo at the time because it helped Biden's election run. That's an ugly stain no matter what side of the aisle you stand.

So Yes, Maddow's Emmy is devalued. ALL EMMYS ARE DEVALUED. Tom Cruise gave back several Golden Globes. He got the publicity and virtue signaling for it, but given the clear long standing corruption, those Golden Globes were now also devalued.

Things tend to lose value when they are associated with sending those who are defenseless, many of whom worked hard their entire lives, some of them in careers that gave public service and also to New York, to their deaths like animals. Herded like cattle to the slaughter.

Perception kills. Your debate skills however don't. Unlike Maddow, you don't understand your own punching weight. Step up anytime, son. If you want some, I've got plenty for you.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, ekbeats said:

Hog wash.  They showed Johnson saying, "People ought to respect other peoples' freedom and liberty and their ability to choose whether to to get vaccinated or not."  That sentence was directly after where he told Tucker the reason he didn't get vaccinated, which they easily could have included.  But they didn't - because they wanted to paint him as a neanderthal when he was essentially doing the right thing based on the latest science and recommendations from his Doctor.   He says after that remark that he is concerned the vaccine is being pushed on children, who aren't in a position of informed consent (legitimate) and that the vaccine is not "fully approved".  That is a 100% correct statement - the vaccine is not fully approved yet, it is authorized as an emergency use measure.

The clip that MSNBC shared didn’t mention Johnson personally refusing to get the vaccine.  You’re the only one who mentioned that; viewers who watched the Brian Williams snipet would not even know that Johnson refused to get the vaccine. 

And yes, Johnson’s comments are irresponsible and warrant the mockery he received from the hosts. We are at a crucial time in which we need as many people vaccinated as possible, and a huge part of the problem is Fox viewers who are not being vaccinated for what essentially amounts to misinformation for political reasons. Johnson providing support for anti-vaxers at this time is dangerous.  

• Like 3
On 5/13/2021 at 4:26 PM, ekbeats said:

It is downright deplorable to suggest that society should not frown upon those putting the public health, putting the economy, putting the defense of this nation at risk by shrugging off the need to get the vaccine that takes this nation out from under the destruction cause by our greatest enemy in a long time.  If Covid was a state invader rather than  microscopic parasites we'd be calling these people draft dodgers and/or be accursing them of  giving aid and comfort.  This is not the moral  or political equivalent of  "People ought to respect other peoples' freedom and liberty and their ability to choose whether to kneel during national anthem."

30 minutes ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

It is downright deplorable to suggest that society should not frown upon those putting the public health, putting the economy, putting the defense of this nation at risk by shrugging off the need to get the vaccine that takes this nation out from under the destruction cause by our greatest enemy in a long time.  If Covid was a state invader rather than  microscopic parasites we'd be calling these people draft dodgers and/or be accursing them of  giving aid and comfort.  This is not the moral  or political equivalent of  "People ought to respect other peoples' freedom and liberty and their ability to choose whether to kneel during national anthem."

Settle down chief.  He didn’t get the vaccine because he had Covid, took an antibody test that that showed he had ample immunity, and was advised by his Doctor that he didn’t need the vaccine.  The fact you didn’t know that is kind of the point of my posts.  You didn’t know that because MSNBC intentionally withheld that useful information from its report. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

Settle down chief.  He didn’t get the vaccine because he had Covid, took an antibody test that that showed he had ample immunity, and was advised by his Doctor that he didn’t need the vaccine.  The fact you didn’t know that is kind of the point of my posts.  You didn’t know that because MSNBC intentionally withheld that useful information from its report. 

good post!

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

Game.  Set.  Match.  

It's like they aren't even reading your posts.  They're so ingrained to just trust the MSM - no questions asked.  It's kind of embarrassing if you think about it, but that's the price you pay for being subservient to them.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Like 2