What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Evan Engram, JAX (1 Viewer)

I wouldnt be so sure. Engram has Jones' eye and Barkley is out. Engram is going to eat. Possible TE#1 material

dirt cheap. I would fall over myself to make that trade, and zero chance I would trade him for that
Barkley being out is a mixed bag for the rest of the team.  More opportunities, possibly, but I have to imagine containing Engram is the #1 priority for the Washington defense now.

Engram could easily go off this week. Collins is good but surrounded by mostly trash other than the DL (when healthy). He's not a guy I would avoid in terms of matchups, and the Giants don't even need to use Engram in a way that would pit him against a SS consistently even if he WAS some sort of matchup nightmare for a TE. Engram can line up all over and take advantage of young inexperienced ILB's, crappy corners, a lacking FS...before ever even having to worry about Collins. Nevermind the fact that Collins is not exactly a perfect guy in coverage anyways. 

Engram is basically the ONE guy this eternally slumping Skins D has to stop, with no Barkley, no more OBJ, no Tate, a banged up Shepard, and a rookie QB...

That's not going to stop him from dominating, most likely. 

Same could be said about Waller and Andrews, but they have been lights out for the most part. Ertz has had big success as the only big threat in Philly. 

Sure, being the top option in that offense means the top defensive target too, but success can (and will) still come. 
I don't see that Andrews has a ton of help on his offense and Waller has Tyrell and Jacobs, which is a lot more than Engram right now.

Evan Engram caught 4-of-7 targets for 54 yards in the Giants' Week 4 win over the Redskins.

Engram was literally being tackled by the Redskins' secondary in the middle of his routes at times. It was evident that the Redskins were making sure Engram wasn't going to single-handedly beat them. For the most part, it worked, but Engram did use his elite athleticism to break free for a big run after the catch. Through four weeks, Engram is on pace for 108 catches, 1,324 receiving yards, and eight touchdowns this season. He's an elite TE1 as one of the centerpieces of the offense.

Sep 29, 2019, 4:35 PM ET

Knee injury. Wth?
Saw that as well -- did that happen in-game?

On one hand, I don't think the Giants practiced to day, so being on an injury report on a non-practicing day may not be as big of a deal compared to tomorrow and Wed if he's limited/DNP.

On the other hand, any ding to our boy is concerning, and it's a short week which compounds healing time and potential availability -- and having to scramble on the wire if he can't go.

Engram seems to be the most likely to play among those who sat out today. Shurmur said the team’s leader with 33 receptions has, “just a little game soreness. We’ll just see how he does as the week progresses.” Shurmur did not know if Engram will practice tomorrow.

https://www.giants.com/news/giants-playmakers-sterling-shepard-evan-engram-land-on-injury-report
Even if he plays I’m assuming this is the player the Pats game plan out of the game.  Almost hope Barkley plays to open it up for Engram? 

9:54 am

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
1m
In addition to WR Sterling Shepard being out Thursday at New England and RB Saquon Barkley being unlikely to play, there’s also a real chance the Giants will be without TE Evan Engram, who is dealing with a sprained MCL, per source. It’ll be a challenge for Engram to play at NE.

9:54 am

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
1m
In addition to WR Sterling Shepard being out Thursday at New England and RB Saquon Barkley being unlikely to play, there’s also a real chance the Giants will be without TE Evan Engram, who is dealing with a sprained MCL, per source. It’ll be a challenge for Engram to play at NE.
2-4 weeks?

I have Walker and Hoech but am not excited about either this week.  Could throw a line for Everett off the wire.

I have Walker and Hoech but am not excited about either this week.  Could throw a line for Everett off the wire.
I'd probably lean Everett. Hock is no lock to play, and goes Monday Night, and Walker has barely played the last 2 weeks. 

I will probably do the same but it feels like a waste of a ww position and like chasing points but watcha finna du?

(RotoWire) Engram (knee) was present for the Giants' practice Tuesday and was seen running routes and participating in individual drills, Dan Duggan of The Athletic reports.

Analysis: Adam Schefter of ESPN relayed earlier Tuesday that Engram suffered a sprained MCL in his left knee during Sunday's loss to the Vikings, clouding the tight end's availability for a Thursday night matchup with the Patriots in Week 6. The fact that Engram was on the field in some capacity Tuesday offers some more encouragement about his outlook for this week, as does the fact that he was wearing a protective wrap over the knee rather than a brace, per Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com. That said, Raanan noted that Engram "didn't look great" while moving around, and the 25-year-old's activity may not even be enough to constitute limited participation in Tuesday's practice. Another update on Engram should be available when practice concludes, but if he can't go in Week 6, Rhett Ellison would be in store for an enhanced role at tight end.

Plethora of TE riches with Engram/Waller and then I have none in week 6. 1-4 and number 3 in points.

Oh FF gods, I hope I enjoyed whatever it was that pissed you off so.

WW fodder here I come.
I'm 2-3 with 2nd most points, and 100 more PA than the next team.  Lost 220-200 one week.

Lamar, Saquon,Cook, DJ, Allen, Lockett, Kittle are my core.....2-3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plethora of TE riches with Engram/Waller and then I have none in week 6. 1-4 and number 3 in points.

Oh FF gods, I hope I enjoyed whatever it was that pissed you off so.

WW fodder here I come.
Same boat in dynasty. I might grab Izzo and hope for a TD. Try not to puke, but Jeremey Sprinkle might be a sleeper vs. Miami if Davis & Reed are still out.

Ugh. Can totally see them resting Engram to heal, and if he plays, can also see that he's out there as a decoy/limited reps.

Would love him to heal for the long term. At same time both options above are preferrable for me having to drop badly needed depth to cover an injured TE not on a bye.

Ugh. Can totally see them resting Engram to heal, and if he plays, can also see that he's out there as a decoy/limited reps.

Would love him to heal for the long term. At same time both options above are preferrable for me having to drop badly needed depth to cover an injured TE not on a bye.
I was able to sell him this morning, something seems fishy with Shurmer's comments, probably not to get embarrassed too badly.

Does NE choose to take away a potentially gimpy Engram, or Golden Tate. 

If he needs a week off to heal this would be the week to do it. But it would totally be the Giants to put him out there at 25% and let him really tear it up

On one hand, Engram was a limited participant in practice. That he was on the field practicing to day is some modicum of good news, I guess.

On the other hand, that he didn't have a travel bag near his locker isn't a terrific sign. That there also wasn't a travel bag for guys like Shepard (who is likely to be out given concussion protocol) and Barkley (who is likely to be out despite Shurmur keeping coy about it) is not making me feel great about Engram's chances.

Most have likely seen this, but Engram has been deemed out for this week.

:sadbanana:

Now I have to drop a lotto ticket I would have preferred to keep to cover. So be it.

In a 14-team league, waivers are thin. Looking at guys like Hunter Henry or Vernon Davis (if either are cleared), Noah Fant, and even O.J. Howard or Ricky Seales-Jones.

The sneaky move might actually be Rhett Ellison, given that he may pick up the slack from both Engram and Shepard being out. But the NE D may have something to say about that.

How are you other Engram owners covering his absence this week?

Now I have to drop a lotto ticket I would have preferred to keep to cover. So be it.

In a 14-team league, waivers are thin. Looking at guys like Hunter Henry or Vernon Davis (if either are cleared), Noah Fant, and even O.J. Howard or Ricky Seales-Jones.

The sneaky move might actually be Rhett Ellison, given that he may pick up the slack from both Engram and Shepard being out. But the NE D may have something to say about that.

Jared Cook for me. Whee?

Rhett Ellison actually did ok when Engram was out last season. Here is what he did in the 4 games that Engram missed.

5 targets 3 receptions 29 yards

3 targets 2 receptions 17 yards

6 targets 4 receptions 77 yards

6 targets 4 receptions 42 yards

Both Engram and Ellison missed game 6 last year.

I know thats not great, but if you have no better options he might be able to do something for your team.

Rhett Ellison actually did ok when Engram was out last season. Here is what he did in the 4 games that Engram missed.

5 targets 3 receptions 29 yards

3 targets 2 receptions 17 yards

6 targets 4 receptions 77 yards

6 targets 4 receptions 42 yards

Both Engram and Ellison missed game 6 last year.

I know thats not great, but if you have no better options he might be able to do something for your team.
Wow, thanks for the insight and data!

Question becomes if Ellison will have a chance against the NE D, as opposed to Vernon Davis v MIA, Fant v TEN, OJ v CAR, Seals-Jones v SEA, or Henry v PIT.

I think Davis has the best upside, but he needs to be cleared first. Also looking at Henry as if he's cleared, could be a great trade chip. 

Question becomes if Ellison will have a chance against the NE D, as opposed to Vernon Davis v MIA, Fant v TEN, OJ v CAR, Seals-Jones v SEA, or Henry v PIT.

I think Davis has the best upside, but he needs to be cleared first. Also looking at Henry as if he's cleared, could be a great trade chip. 
What stinks for Henry is that he's Sunday night and you'd likely have no hedge unless you have Vance McDonald, Hockenson or Graham.

Yeah I would lean towards Davis or Henry if healthy as well I think. Ellison is a blocking TE after all.

Possible Ellison puts up the same numbers as these guys this week though. :shrug:

Good luck with whatever you ultimately decide to do.

What stinks for Henry is that he's Sunday night and you'd likely have no hedge unless you have Vance McDonald, Hockenson or Graham.
If Henry is just starting to practice and albeit limited right now, I see virtually zero chance he's going to get out there this week anyways. I'm warming to the idea of these guys in this order:

1. Vance Johnson (Best shot at a TD)

2. Vernon Davis (If I knew he were playing at Miami)

3. Rhett Ellison (Garbage time vs NE should at least net a 4-45 with the limited WR options)

4. Jordan Akins (probable shootout with KC but does share touches a little too much)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a hole @ TE & tried to move Diggs straight up for Engram, but no go. He wants Juju. I think this is him getting a steal. Am I overthinking?
I would not trade Engram for Diggs. 

Not sure I would do it for JuJu in redraft. Dynasty sure but that's a steal for the team getting JuJu

Izzo. Hoping with Dorsett not suiting up and BB basically putting his faith in the two young TEs by cutting Watson, they might be mixing them a little more into the game plan. Izzo from what I hear is the lesser blocker so should be getting more catches. Anything more than goose egg is gravy.

As other poster said, Vernon Davis/Sprinkle might be a good call if VD is officially in/out

Starting to get more intrugued:

Rhett Ellison posted snap rates of 87%, 98%, 89% and 94% in four games without Engram last season. His combined 13-165-0 line in those performances isn't spectacular, but the block-first TE has at least shown the ability to catch most passes thrown his way. Ellison is more of an underrated play in DFS showdown slates to save salary, as the floor of the Giants Offense makes him an extremely thin season-long play.

Ian Hartitz--- Rotoworld

Evan Engram (knee) took part in Monday's practice.

Engram had little chance to play with the short turnaround in Week 6 (New York played on Thursday night), but a return against the Cardinals in Week 7 seems feasible. Rhett Ellison handled tight-end responsibilities in Engram's absence last week against New England.

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Oct 14, 2019, 12:01 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread