What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Evan Engram, JAX (1 Viewer)

Evan Engram (foot, I.R.) said he doesn't have a "full" Lisfranc injury, but he's undergoing surgery Friday to stabilize the tendon.

Engram was officially sent to I.R. Tuesday and in the end will miss 8-of-16 games this season to injury. Engram was initially diagnosed with a "mid-foot sprain" at the time of his injury in Week 10. That's Lisfranc territory. Engram likely faces a lengthy rehab that will probably sideline him for OTAs and minicamp. The 25-year-old expects to be ready for the start of training camp next summer.

SOURCE: Dan Duggan on Twitter

Dec 18, 2019, 1:08 PM ET

Not sure I can put him in the top 12 dynasty TEs going forward.  He's approaching Jordan Reed levels of injury history.

tangfoot said:
Not sure I can put him in the top 12 dynasty TEs going forward.  He's approaching Jordan Reed levels of injury history.

The context with Reed (in his prime while still producing a lot) was always that his problem was concussions--the fear was that his career could end on any hit. 

Engram having some non-chronic leg injuries is not nearly in the same ballpark imo

The context with Reed (in his prime while still producing a lot) was always that his problem was concussions--the fear was that his career could end on any hit. 

Engram having some non-chronic leg injuries is not nearly in the same ballpark imo
Yes. 

People tend to throw injury prone around way too much and unnecessarily. Reed is a terrible comp, and Engram should not be considered injury prone. 

Not thrilled with a plantar issue - hopefully he opts for the corrective surgery as many who’ve tried to rehab it see a recurrence (from what I’ve seen anyway) but either way he should be a hold in Dynasty. 

I've received quite a few lower offers than I’m willing to entertain for his upside. 

in redraft he’s been brutal. 

It's not a plantar issue. it's similar to a lisfranc. He will be fine; he is in the best hands
That’s right, sorry, my bad. I knew that, just misspoke. 

The only question is if he’s back with the Giants. Rumor recently was that they may not bring him back; which seems insane. 

That’s right, sorry, my bad. I knew that, just misspoke. 

The only question is if he’s back with the Giants. Rumor recently was that they may not bring him back; which seems insane. 
He still has one more year on his rookie contract so I don’t see how they don’t bring him back. I could see not wanting to extend him yet but I think there’s no way they release him while he’s still pretty cheap.

Fine. Eifert. 

Engram can’t stay on the field, he’s fool’s gold. 

Fine. Eifert. 

Engram can’t stay on the field, he’s fool’s gold. 

I suspected someone would bring up Eifert next, as he's really the only good recent example of multiple unrelated foot injuries becoming a seemingly chronic problem for a TE that I can think of. It has also sapped his athleticism to the point that even when healthy he isn't the same guy. 

I would need to see more issues with Engram to make that comparison. 

Evan Engram (foot) said he expects to resume training in the spring.

"It wasn’t a full-blown tear, but it needed some fixing," Engram said of his recent foot surgery to repair a Lisfranc ligament. This timetable at the very least puts him back on the field for training camp if he isn't cleared for the start of OTAs. The 25-year-old averaged 7.7 targets in the only six games he played with Daniel Jones under center, keeping him firmly among the Top 8 at his position (if healthy) heading into next season.

SOURCE: Bob Glauber on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 3:13 PM ET

Evan Engram (Lisfranc surgery) remains in a walking boot.

It has been over two months since Engram went under the knife. He appears poised to miss the entire offseason program. Engram has been one of the best young tight ends in the league when healthy, but he has missed a whopping 13 games over the past two years. The G-Men must soon make a decision on his fifth-year team option, which is guaranteed for injury only. Despite the missed time, we assume the G-Men will pick the option up.

SOURCE: New York Post

Feb 27, 2020, 5:27 PM ET

Yeah the article mentions they tried for Hooper. I'd I'm a 49er fan that leaves me scratching my head unless SF does not plan to extend Kittle after 2020. Then it makes perfect sense why they are looking for a TE now
Yeah not extending Kittle would be head scratching as well though. If they want to upgrade their second te that’s a worthwhile goal. Just seems some other team should be willing to pay more in a trade to make Engram their te1 than SF would be willing to pay to make Engram their te2. Like how Cleveland was willing to pay more in free agency for Hooper as their te1. Or how Hurst got moved because he meant more to the Falcons as a te1 than the Ravens as their 2. 

Yeah that would be less than ideal. You’d think Engram would cost too much for them to acquire as a second Te.
They'll either pay too much or get a bargain because SF doesn't have 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round draft picks.   

They hold the #31 pick in the 1st-round.  The next pick they hold is in the 5th round, pick #156.

I don't think NY would dish him for a 5th so pick #31 might be tempting NY to consider trading Engram.

Caveat would be SF offering future picks since they are thin with picks in this draft.

They'll either pay too much or get a bargain because SF doesn't have 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round draft picks.   

They hold the #31 pick in the 1st-round.  The next pick they hold is in the 5th round, pick #156.

I don't think NY would dish him for a 5th so pick #31 might be tempting NY to consider trading Engram.

Caveat would be SF offering future picks since they are thin with picks in this draft.
Robbing Peter to pay Paul probably isn't a good idea.

I do not think the Giants have picked up Engram's fifth year option yet.  If Giants do not plan on picking up the option, then I can see a trade happening.  Hard to imagine SF but maybe Kittle's torn labrum that he has played through needs attention.  Something to keep an eye on for sure.

If someone is giving up a first for Engram, Giants take that and run.  Think the Giants would have to add a pick going back the other way or like you say future picks rather than #31.

Giants exercised TE Evan Engram's fifth-year option for 2021.

Engram has been a major health liability since being taken 23rd overall in 2017, missing 14-of-48 games, including eight last season and now coming off a dreaded Lisfranc injury. He was still in a walking boot at the beginning of March. Engram is no lock to be ready for Week 1 considering the state of the world we're in right now coupled with his rehab. When healthy Engram has been a very productive pass-catching tight end with a 153-1,766-12 line across 34 games with Eli Manning and Daniel Jones. He's a fantasy TE1 when on the field.

Apr 29, 2020, 9:47 PM ET

Evan Engram (Lisfranc surgery) was shown running in a video shared on Instagram.

The full video can be viewed in the link below. It's the first time we've seen Engram participate in any activity since initially going under the knife in December. It's a positive sign for his outlook as the 25-year-old's participation in training camp remains up in the air. Engram is fittingly being drafted as the TE6 in Best-Ball leagues behind Travis Kelce, George Kittle, Mark Andrews, Zach Ertz, and Darren Waller.

SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Jun 30, 2020, 9:55 AM ET

Engram has a chance to regain his studly status, but he won't be doing it on my team. Let someone else deal with the headache his injury-prone body and inability to play through the dings.

Engram has a chance to regain his studly status, but he won't be doing it on my team. Let someone else deal with the headache his injury-prone body and inability to play through the dings.
I have him in one recent dynasty startup. He was dropping (for good reason probably) so I snagged him and a few rounds later backed him up with the upside of Hurst. I'd I do draft Engram anywhere, drafting what should be a solid TE2 is the plan.

Faust said:
Huh. There are some truck sized holes in the data being presented as reasoning here. The most egregious of these being poor Levine Toilolo aging 5 years per reception in 2019.

The use of 2 TE personnel presented is not very high at all, but using Cowboy Data with a clearly over the hill Jason Witten as the main element of it doesent seem very useful. That shows reasons to be pessimistic about the opportunity rather than the positive it is being presented as.

I would say scrap all of that and start over. 

Coach Joe Judge said Evan Engram (foot) has been doing some on-field work this summer.

Engram isn't yet 100% off Lisfranc surgery, but he did avoid the active/PUP list to open training camp. Judge admits "we'll see" how quickly Engram will be ready to be fully unleashed with his foot. But it's at least notable the tight end avoided PUP. We're unlikely to get many updates on injured players this summer, so we have to take what we can get here. Engram is a legit top-eight fantasy tight end when healthy.

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Jul 31, 2020, 12:45 PM ET

Giants TE coach Freddie Kitchens credited Evan Engram for doing a "helluva job" with physical rehab this summer. 

Kitchens said he's worked with Engram on releases off the line and hand placement. Giants HC Joe Judge said in July that Engram, who avoided the team's PUP list to start training camp after last year's Lisfranc surgery, was doing some on-field work. A healthy Engram could be a nice value in fantasy leagues this year, though fantasy managers aren't getting much of an injury discount. Engram is the seventh tight end off the board. 

SOURCE: Kim Jones on Twitter

Aug 13, 2020, 1:25 PM ET

If you could promise me 16 games from Engram, I think he'd be right there with Zach Ertz for TE4. However, he's arguably the biggest injury risk at the position, so I think somewhere around TE10 is more appropriate. He's missed games every year dating back to his freshman year of college.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could promise me 16 games from Engram, I think he'd be right there with Zach Ertz for TE4. However, he's arguably the biggest injury risk at the position, so I think somewhere around TE10 is more appropriate. He's missed games every year dating back to his freshman year of college.
I hear you. Technically Jordan Reed is still in the league though.

Biabreakable said:
I hear you. Technically Jordan Reed is still in the league though.
Slightly off topic, but I think Jordan Reed could actually be a pretty big part of the 49ers offense this year, at least until Deebo is back. He's a better weapon than almost any of their WR's. 

But yes, I meant of guys who will be drafted in fantasy leagues. I'll be letting somebody else draft Engram this year. I find in mocks I'm either going Andrews early, or Hurst late.

Slightly off topic, but I think Jordan Reed could actually be a pretty big part of the 49ers offense this year, at least until Deebo is back. He's a better weapon than almost any of their WR's. 

But yes, I meant of guys who will be drafted in fantasy leagues. I'll be letting somebody else draft Engram this year. I find in mocks I'm either going Andrews early, or Hurst late.
Reed is a fantastic player. 

I was just sticking up for Engram a bit. Hes not that injury prone.

SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano reports the Giants think Evan Engram can “top 1,000 yards easily.”

Engram is setback-free and practicing without restrictions coming off last year’s Lisfranc surgery. The Giants’ new coaching staff has talked about using him more. A career year for Engram is possible if he stays healthy,  but the odds are against him playing a full season. Engram has missed 14 games since 2017.

SOURCE: SNY

Aug 29, 2020, 11:03 AM ET

I’m having such dejavu to last year when the Giants were saying the exact same thing. The exact. Same. Thing. literally. 

I only invested $26/500 in dynasty but have yet to get even that modest value from Engram.

maybe this will be the year. :shrug:  

I guess these updates explain why I have other owners fishing around for Engram in dynasty the last few days. True to my form, I shall wait for his value to grow before entertaining such offers, which all but guarantees he'll get hurt leaving me stuck with him for another season. Sigh. 

But I remain optimistic for that 90/1000/10 break-out season. :wub:  
He's always had #1 TE in FF upside. Just has to stay healthy.

On a side note would you trade him for Goedert straight up or not enough?

He's always had #1 TE in FF upside. Just has to stay healthy.

On a side note would you trade him for Goedert straight up or not enough?
Not so long as Ertz is vertical, no. And I love Gogurt - had him last year. But not straight up. I'd need a 2nd or something along with him. And then, maybe. EE's upside is just too high if he can stay on the field. 

Poor yogurt. Buried in Philly for 5 years. 
4 years! No chance they extend him right? I own Engram and Goedert in separate leagues. I do think right now it would take Goedert+ to get Engram. But not a lot. I would def take Goedert plus a 2. I think once Goedert gets that divorce from Ertz he immediately jumps into Engram’s range. 

4 years! No chance they extend him right? I own Engram and Goedert in separate leagues. I do think right now it would take Goedert+ to get Engram. But not a lot. I would def take Goedert plus a 2. I think once Goedert gets that divorce from Ertz he immediately jumps into Engram’s range. 
Agreed. Like I said - I'd consider Gogurt/2.x for EE. Depends on where I think the 2nd is likely to be picking though Would have to be an early 2nd. 

There was talk not too long back of extending Ertz - I haven't seen any update to that. it was a month or so back. 

Users who are viewing this thread