What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Curtis Samuel, BUF (1 Viewer)

I'm seeing him going around the 7/8 turn and WR36-40.  He's going right about Christian Kirk range.  
Thats where he probably should go but I am sure your like is like mine, full of Panther homers, so there is going to be that one dude that reaches for him in the late 5th......guaranteed especially if he has a decent next couple of games.   The problem I see with samuel is that he is going to have some crazy good games along with some dudes as there are a lot of pass catching options on the team as of right now.  Hogan, Moore, Cmac, Olsen, and maybe even throw in Thomas as well. 

Curtis Samuel delivered one catch for 13 yards on three targets in the Panthers’ second preseason game Friday against Buffalo.

It was a quiet evening for Samuel, who has been a standout throughout training camp. To be fair, Samuel was playing without Cam Newton, who the Panthers are keeping under wraps. Both of his incompletions came on poor throws from Kyle Allen, who had a dreadful night under center (32 yards on 4-of-11 passing). Considered a trendy breakout candidate in fantasy circles, the third-year receiver will be back at it Thursday for the Panthers’ dress rehearsal against New England.

Aug 16, 2019, 10:53 PM ET

In redraft PPR, his ECR is WR36 behind Watkins, Davis, Gordon (yep), Fuller, but his Consensus ADP is WR41. Fitz, MJJ, Sutton & Westbrook coming off right before him. 

Generally a +5 ADP relative to ECR is the opposite of hype. 

Someone in one of my leagues said Samuel is the next Tyreek Hill.

The hype is out of control
I would love to capitalize on this hype...  but all I get is Bruce Anderson & Hakeem Butler type offers!  

He is my WR4-5 pending James Washington's efforts, but I have been shopping him  

Dr. Dan said:
Someone in one of my leagues said Samuel is the next Tyreek Hill.

The hype is out of control
Tyreek Hill is a bit if a stretch but he is going to have a high end WR2 type season barring injury. 

Maybe he runs said football blog 🤔 
Doubtful. The guy who runs it spends a lot of time watching games(literally recaps every game from the HOF game all the way to the SB) and has a family as well. Plus he plays in multiple high stakes redraft/dynasty leagues himself so I doubt he has much time to frequent the SP :P

He has some really bold rankings(including being very high on Samuel and K.Murray) so that’s how I know Milkman is a reader ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in on him when he was going around the 10th round but he has climbed way too far that it’s unlikely I draft him now. People acting like he is gonna be a WR2 on their team. 

Doubtful. The guy who runs it spends a lot of time watching games(literally recaps every game from the HOF game all the way to the SB) and has a family as well. Plus he plays in multiple high stakes redraft/dynasty leagues himself so I doubt he has much time to frequent the SP :P

He has some really bold rankings(including being very high on Samuel and K.Murray) so that’s how I know Milkman is a reader ;)
What blog?

Not sure how Samuel isn't reasonable at 7/8 round. Just look at the guys going around his ADP (which is 7.06). Dante Pettis, Dede Westbrook (who I like more tbh), Larry Fitzgerald, Geronimo Allison, Sterling Shepard. These are all the guys going off the board in the 8th round in PPR.

I would argue outside of Allison and Westbrook, Samuel has the most upside of those guys going in that range. He's a lock to be the WR2 for the Panthers, he may potentially see more target share than DJ Moore if the reports out of camp are to be believed at all. He runs a 4.3 40 as well, he won't need a large target share to produce anyway, he could very easily put up one of those 2015 Ted Ginn style seasons if Cam stays healthy where he goes off for like 60 receptions, 900 yards and 10 TDs by just taking the top off defenses and letting Cam use his ability to scramble and throw a bomb to him at a consistent enough clip to make him relevant.

Also, I'd say you should look at the first few weeks of the Panthers schedule...

Week 1 - Rams - They were 12th in ppg allowed to receivers last year, probably no different this season, their defense isn't very good in the secondary and their offense requires teams to keep playing chuck it football to keep up. Great matchup.

Week 2 - Bucs- They were 7th overall in ppg allowed to receivers last year and their offense could take another step this season with Bruce Arians in town could be very similar to the Rams situation where you're forced to throw a ton. Elite matchup.

Week 3 - Cardinals - They were middle of the road in ppg allowed last year, but outside of Pat Pete their secondary is nothing special. They probably allow a lot more ppg to receivers last year if they had any form of an offense. Assuming the offense is better this year, they'll stay in more games and keep teams foot on the gas more often. Good matchup.

Week 4 - Texans - Middling matchup, pretty solid defense, but they will put up a ton of points on everyone so again, a deep ball guy can always break through the top of the defense.

Week 5 - Jags - Elite defense, bad matchup.

Week 6 - Bucs again

Week 7 - 49ers - 2nd best matchup for opposing WRs last year, nothing will change this year.

I could keep going, point is, the Panthers have an insanely favorable matchup. It appears Cam should be healthy this year. Both Samuel and Moore could be in line for a big target bump this season. To me, Samuel and Moore basically have equal upside with Moore having a slightly higher floor. The difference being I can get Samuel 2-3 rounds later in drafts. Where as with DJ Moore I'm debating between him and guys like OJ Howard, Evan Engram, Tevin Coleman, Miles Sanders, Mike Williams types. All of whom I would prefer over DJ Moore. With Samuel you're seeing Rashaad Penny, Derrius Guice, Kenyan Drake, Wentz, Brees, Dante Pettis around his ADP and from that group, Samuel probably has the highest floor and arguably the highest upside.

Or they both just like flashy payers - and I'm not criticizing that, it often works out fine (see. Tyreeke Hill or Tarik Cohen). Sometimes there's more style over substance to that approach though. It's not always easy to tell the difference.

Josh Norris @JoshNorris

Summer of 2019, the Curtis Samuel story May 1st to August 20, up 30 spots overall. ADP of 109 to 79. #Panthers

4th on the team in targets (4) while playing 93% of the snaps.  Am I crazy for thinking about dumping him?  
Yes you are, it’s too soon to give up on him. 

Cam didn't seem interested in running so I’d give all the receivers a slight bump moving forward.

If he continues to be 4th in the pecking order during the next 2-3 weeks then it’s time to consider moving on. 

One definite takeaway is that there was a lot of talk of Samuel not only being the 1B to D.J. Moore's 1A, but Samuel possibly overtaking Moore. After Game 1 Moore ran as the clear #1 WR, and he had the tougher CB matchup most of the game.

One definite takeaway is that there was a lot of talk of Samuel not only being the 1B to D.J. Moore's 1A, but Samuel possibly overtaking Moore. After Game 1 Moore ran as the clear #1 WR, and he had the tougher CB matchup most of the game.
Seemed to me Cam was reluctant to throw deep for whatever reason - game plan maybe, idk. Coincidentally Samuels ran deep posts and fly routes mostly the whole game. His 3 catches came on a whip, a come-back and a crossing route, the few plays he wasn't going long. The one time Cam targeted him deep, it was just barely over thrown.

I would say you're right, that Moore will have more targets since he played more possession receiver. If that's the plan going forward, Moore will certainly have more catches.

would not worry about Samuel guys... they will throw deep more often, and Samuel lined up mostly against Talib and Robey-Coleman. Better days ahead, probably this Thursday against them Buc corners

Definitely do not drop.  Not yet.  If would take me at least 4-5 games like this for me to do that.  Trust the process.  He’s a phenomenal talent.  I have him on my bench in favor of ty Williams , Godwin Hilton.  And metcalf or rojo rt now.  I’m taking a wait and see.  I think he can get right this week vs tb.   But I’m ok with him doing that on my bench.  

Because of lockett’s questionable tag with a back injury I am starting Curtis Samuel tonight. Wish I could wait till Sunday but I am hopeful that the Bucs defense and the chip on cam’s shoulder after being harassed by the press will motivate the whole Carolina team to air it out  

I share this not as a who do I start thread but more so people can see what others are facing for their lineup decisions. Good luck all

He’s on my bench tonight.  I want to see it all translate into real points in a real game before I put him back in I think.  

Users who are viewing this thread