What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Curtis Samuel, BUF (1 Viewer)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "teams have been consistently calling" the Panthers about the availability of Curtis Samuel.

It makes some sense after the Panthers splurged on Robby Anderson in free agency and already have D.J. Moore, but there's nothing at all wrong with carrying Samuel as part of the wideout trio, especially when the options behind him are Seth Roberts, Pharoh Cooper, Keith Kirkwood, and a couple others. Samuel could get far more opportunity elsewhere, however, considering Christian McCaffrey and Ian Thomas are also going to command targets. We should see some player trades over the next couple days.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 24, 2020, 11:57 AM ET

Panthers OC Joe Brady said WR Curtis Samuel is going to be “critical to success” for the team’s offense.

“Curtis is going to be critical to success,” Brady said during his conference with media Thursday. “Curtis is a playmaker. He fits the mold of what we’re looking for in this type of offense, a guy that you can utilize all around the field and get the ball in the hands and good things happen. We’re getting the ball in space and I’m excited for him to take the next leap.” Samuel received nine carries (and 11 catches) once Scott Turner took over play-calling duties for his father, Norv Turner, during Carolina’s last four games and it sounds as if Brady has a similar outlook for the fourth-year wideout this upcoming season. D.J. Moore, Robby Anderson, and Samuel may lack consistency on a week-to-week basis for fantasy in Brady’s intuitive offense, but all are expected to reap rewards sporadically throughout the year.

SOURCE: The Charlotte Observer

Jun 19, 2020, 7:22 AM ET

Interesting case with Samuel. He had over 1600 air yards last season. Talent is there as he still works on transitioning to the WR position. He is still young but now entering a new offense in a contract year. Love him as a dynasty hold but not sure we see a big boost with the amount of weapons Carolina has. Matt Harmon (reception perception) has long favored him. Anyone who has watched him on the field have any thoughts?

Interesting case with Samuel. He had over 1600 air yards last season. Talent is there as he still works on transitioning to the WR position. He is still young but now entering a new offense in a contract year. Love him as a dynasty hold but not sure we see a big boost with the amount of weapons Carolina has. Matt Harmon (reception perception) has long favored him. Anyone who has watched him on the field have any thoughts?
What are "air yards"?

These hybrid players are always hard to judge. I think at times he has been schemed very well, particularly in the Red Zone to create mismatches. I'm hopeful the new regime will design plays to use him.

interesting.  So takes away YAC, and adds in target yardage.
Correct. I was trying to find the clip of last years missed opportunities that Samuel had. He had gotten open deep a lot but there were quite a few missed throws. I am curious to see with Robby Anderson in the mix what the staff does with these guys. A very interesting group of skill position players. With this being Samuels last year under contract I think he is a good hold in dynasty, but can’t imagine him being able to really breakout with so many surrounding options.

Adam Levitan@adamlevitan

Teams called CAR in spring trying to trade for Curtis Samuel. Panthers said no. Still just 24 years old entering best scheme setup of career.

======================

Benjamin Solak@BenjaminSolak

If Bridgewater is willing to push it deep (big if) he’s truly in for a monster year

Bracie Smathers said:
Adam Levitan@adamlevitan

Teams called CAR in spring trying to trade for Curtis Samuel. Panthers said no. Still just 24 years old entering best scheme setup of career.

======================

Benjamin Solak@BenjaminSolak

If Bridgewater is willing to push it deep (big if) he’s truly in for a monster year
I love his talent, but have serious reservations about Teddy’s ability/inclination to push it downfield

I love his talent, but have serious reservations about Teddy’s ability/inclination to push it downfield
I'd think that'll be a much bigger problem for Robby Anderson than for Curtis Samuel. Samuel is excellent after the catch, and could be used in a high% RAC role.

I still have no idea why they wanted Anderson so badly. He could be their 5th best pass catcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd think that'll be a much bigger problem for Robby Anderson than for Curtis Samuel. Samuel is excellent after the catch, and could be used in a high% RAC role.

I still have no idea why they wanted Anderson so badly. He could be their 5th best pass catcher.
Former coach for Robby probably played a role.

The Charlotte Observer's Jonathan Anderson reports Curtis Samuel "has not been impressive" during Panthers camp.

Per Anderson, Samuel has "regressed since the first day" of camp. He's been dealing with a bit of a hamstring issue, but it sounds like both D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson have vastly outplayed him in padded practices. Take it for what it is; it's merely practice, but this is a big year for Samuel headed into the final year of his rookie deal. Both Samuel and Anderson project to be fighting for leftover targets behind both Christian McCaffrey and Moore, while reliable middle-field target TE Ian Thomas is also in the mix for looks.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article245382250.html

Curtis Samuel caught 5-of-8 targets for 38 yards in the Panthers' Week 1 loss to the Raiders.

Samuel added another five yards on one carry. If Week 1 is any indication, the Panthers' passing game under Joe Brady is going to spread targets fairly evenly between D.J. Moore, Robby Anderson and Samuel, with each seeing snaps in the slot and creating separation on short and intermediate routes. Samuel should not be considered a FLEX option against the Bucs in Week 2.

- Rotoworld

Curtis Samuel caught 2-of-2 targets for 13 yards in the Panthers' Week 2 loss to the Bucs.

Samuel added four carries for 26 yards, making him the team's second-leading rusher. With D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson both recording at least one 100-yard effort this season, Moore is firmly third in the wide receiver pecking order. He might have spiked weeks in his future, but at the present Samuel is not fantasy viable.

- Rotoworld

anyone else curious about samuel being more relevant w CMC out? 
Seems like something they might do. The 4 rushing attempts he had in most recent game is an indication of that possibility as well.

He had 2 games with 4 rushing attempts last season. Maybe he does that every game while CMC is out?

Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady said he wants to get Curtis Samuel more involved in the team's offense. 

In three years at Ohio State, Samuel logged 171 rushes and 106 receptions, and has five carries through two games this season, creating speculation that he could inherit some of Christian McCaffrey's rushing workload in the coming weeks. Panthers coaches, however, have been clear that Mike Davis is CMC's backup and will serve as the main ball carrier. That doesn't mean Brady can't devise new ways to manufacture touches for Samuel in what will likely be a pass-heavy game script this week against a tough Chargers defense. Samuel is a borderline flex in 14-team leagues this week. 

SOURCE: Steve Reed on Twitter 

Sep 24, 2020, 12:33 PM ET

Curtis Samuel still expects the "bulk" of his Week 3 snaps to come at wide receiver. 

Samuel did play coy with the speculation that he could see an uptick in snaps at running back, only saying he wasn't "going to give away the game plan." OC Joe Brady has talked of the need to get Samuel more touches. Samuel rushed four times against the Bucs and logged 171 attempts in the B1G. The Panthers are going to have to get creative in Christian McCaffrey's absence. Banking on Samuel rushing-game usage seems like an easy path to a letdown, but there is a legitimate possibility it gooses his Week 3 fantasy numbers if you're forced to start him as a WR4. 

SOURCE: Joseph Person on Twitter 

Sep 24, 2020, 5:43 PM ET

Panthers QB Teddy Bridgewater said the team is trying to get the ball into Curtis Samuel's hands more often. 

It's a familiar refrain. Carolina has utilized Samuel on third down and short this season, but he's fourth on the team in receiving through Week 5. “He’s a guy we want to try to get the ball (to) more, and not just third downs," Bridgewater said. "Try to find a way to get the ball in his hands because great things happen.” Samuel, a hybrid player in college, has 15 carries this season for 63 yards. Head coach Matt Rhule said he has "infinite respect for" Samuel. "He does the dirty jobs. He does the odd jobs," Rhule said. It's high praise for a player who has 34 touches on the season. Samuel is nothing more than a desperation flex option in 14-team leagues until his role changes. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Oct 15, 2020, 9:18 AM ET

14 team leagues are weird.

Samuel has had 4 rushing attempts in 3 out of 5 games so far this year but not enough yards for that to make much of a difference.

i drafted him for my dynasty team and have held him this entire time.

I am starting to lose faith however he is only 24.

shrug.

ESPN's David Newton reports Panthers WR Curtis Samuel (knee) is expected to play in Week 6 against the Bears.

Panthers coach Matt Rhule said that Samuel's status would depend "on how he feels" prior to kick-off. Samuel must feel fine if the expectation is that he plays. He's been used as a receiver and a running back for much of the season with Christian McCaffrey on injured reserve. Samuel hasn't scored or topped five catches in a game this year. His positionless skillset is useful to Carolina but makes him a low-floor, low-ceiling option in fantasy.

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Oct 18, 2020, 10:09 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Panthers WR Curtis Samuel (knee, questionable) is expected to play in Week 7 against the Saints.

Samuel has played a minimal role in the Panthers offense with Robby Anderson emerging as the No. 1 receiver and D.J. Moore acting as the field-stretcher. He has 19 catches for 183 yards and an additional 63 yards on 15 carries this year. Samuel isn't worth a roster spot in most fantasy leagues. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 25, 2020, 9:04 AM ET

Curtis Samuel had 1 run 5 yards and a TD 6 targets 6 receptions 48 yards week 7 vs the Saints.

Not bad. 

This coincided with Mike Davis not having a very good game.

Curtis Samuel caught 4-of-5 targets for 31 yards and a touchdown in the Panthers' Week 8 loss to the Falcons, adding three carries for 12 additional yards and a score. 

The receiving score was Samuel's first of the season, but the rushing was his second in as many games. The aerial strike came on a flea flicker where Teddy Bridgewater got just enough air underneath the pass to get it over Ricardo Allen's coverage. The rushing touchdown again came with Samuel lined up as a true running back. He looked like a natural on the 12-yard weave to the goal line. The Panthers are forcing the issue with Samuel since his return from his knee ailment, but there still still aren't a ton of looks to go around behind Robby Anderson and D.J. Moore. Samuel is an upside WR4 you can start in a bye week or injury pinch. There are worse things in fantasy. The Chiefs are on deck for Week 9. 

Oct 29, 2020, 11:58 PM ET

Deamon said:
Benched him for MT when the news came out that he practiced.  FFS.
You arent the only one who is kicking himself this morning.

I had my lineup page open 10 minutes before gametime last night and was rerady to swap him in for darius slayton.

I decided against it for 2 reasons:

1. Unless its for injury purposes, last minute non-injury changes rarely work. I have found that my gut isnt necessarily  the reason im considering the change...its the action i crave.

2. it was a thursday night game and they are so hit and miss.

So, left samuel on my bench. Cest la vie.

Curtis Samuel caught 3-of-5 targets for eight yards in the Panthers' Week 10 loss to the Bucs.

Samuel contributed another three carries for four yards. Very little worked for the Panthers' offense after the first quarter, totaling just 122 passing yards on the game. Still, Joe Brady seems to want to get Samuel a handful of touches per contest, making him a possible FLEX play against the Lions in Week 11 if Teddy Bridgewater is healthy enough to start.

- Rotoworld
@Bracie Smathers maybe rename the thread with his team?

Curtis Samuel caught 5-of-5 targets for 72 yards in the Panthers' Week 12 loss to the Vikings.

Samuel has emerged as an every-week starter in fantasy over the last month, and that could be here to stay depending on the severity of D.J. Moore's lower-leg injury. If Moore's non-contact injury proves serious, Samuel's floor would be far higher even with Christian McCaffrey due back following the Week 13 bye. Samuel has big play potential as a receiver and mixes in as a running back in the red zone occasionally.

- Rotoworld
If D.J. is out for the year gonna be looking at increased volume.

Panthers placed Curtis Samuel on the reserve/COVID list.

Carolina also moved D.J. Moore, DT Derrick Brown, DT Zach Kerr, LB Shaq Thompson, OT Greg Little, and P Michael Palardy to the COVID list with rookie Yetur Gross-Matos and practice squad DT Bruce Hector, the latter two who were designated there during Carolina's bye week. It's unclear whom, if any, among the group tested positive, or if all were simply victims of close-contact tracing. That will likely be announced (aka cracked) towards the end of the week, putting whomever tested positive in doubt for Week 14 against the Broncos.

SOURCE: Alaina Getzengberg on Twitter

Dec 7, 2020, 2:14 PM ET

Rotoworld:

Panthers activated WR Curtis Samuel from the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Samuel spent the last five days away from the team. This puts him on track to play, but Samuel's role may be limited given the missed practice reps. The Panthers also activated DT Derrick Brown and LB Shaq Thompson from the COVID list.

Dec 11, 2020, 12:10 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread