What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR John Ross, KC (1 Viewer)

Pro Football Focus compared Washington WR John Ross to Washington Redskins WR DeSean Jackson.

"This is a fairly easy comparison with both players being similar in size but still being phenomenal deep threats because of their speed. Both use that to their advantage, as corners are forced to play off them to respect that speed," writes the PFF analysis crew. "And like Jackson, Ross is an electric returner on special teams." There are health concerns with Ross (he underwent a procedure on his shoulder in March and has a pair of torn ACLs to his name) but he was one of the most productive wideouts in all the land this past season and is a good bet to be swept off the draft board at some point in the teens or early 20's. 

Apr 15 - 1:28 PM

Source: Pro Football Focus

A West Coast scout for an NFL team indicated that he is not concerned about Washington WR John Ross' attitude.
"He will get emotional on the field when he drops one or when their quarterback leaves an open deep ball short, and I've heard other scouts call it 'bad body language.' I just think he's an edgy player," the scout explained. "He's competitive and shows it. You'll take some attitude when a guy scores as many touchdowns as he does." To put a number on the scoring production that the scout mentions, the 5-foot-11, 188-pounder caught 17 touchdowns in 14 games during the 2016 campaign. The Browns, Ravens, Titans and Eagles have all either hosted Ross for visits or will host him in the coming days. He is a good bet to be drafted within the top-20 and touching near the top-10 is not out of the question.

Source: NFL.com 
Apr 4 - 9:28 PM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline passes along that when running deep routes during Washington's pro day on Saturday, WR John Ross was repeatedly underthrown because he was too fast for the quarterback.
Ross' blink-and-you're-burned speed is apparently just too much for some. Pauline hears that, when he wasn't being underthrown, the 5-foot-11, 188-pound wideout "ran exceptional routes displaying great quickness into breaks and caught the ball well." The potential Day 1 pick will be undergoing shoulder surgery on Tuesday and plans on mostly shutting down his draft process while he rehabs. He figures to continue meeting with interested teams, but it looks like individual workouts might understandably be off the table.

Source: Draft Analyst 
Mar 12 - 3:46 PM

Pro Football Focus analyst Steve Palazzolo believes that Washington WR John Ross could be approaching a top-15 pick.
Palazzolo is of the opinion that Ross' record-setting run of 4.22 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the Combine "will [boost his stock] from late-first-round hype to potential top-15 hype as NFL teams look for the next speedy playmaker on the outside." Results from medical checks on his surgically-repaired knees could be key to him landing in the first round. He will also be undergoing shoulder surgery on March 14.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Mar 7 - 5:51 PM

CBS Sports draft analyst Dane Brugler writes that "[t]he medicals [at the NFL Scouting Combine], not the 40-yard dash, likely will determine whether [Washington WR John] Ross lands in Round 1."

Ross has previously undergone surgeries on both knees and, come March, will have another procedure done to shore up a torn labrum. Thus why Brugler believes that Ross' medical check in Indianapolis could matter more than his 40-yard dash time. Nobody can deny the former Huskies' speed. He recently told MMQB's Emily Kaplan that he has recorded a laser-timed 40 of 4.30 seconds during his Combine training.

Source: CBS Sports

Pro Football Focus analyst Bryson Vesnaver wrote that he was "struggling to find any real weakness for [Washington WR] John Ross."
Ross is a speed merchant who was clocked under 4.30 seconds in the 40-yard dash last spring. He is also an adept route-runner and deceptively strong despite an outwardly thin frame of 5-foot-11, 179 pounds. Mike Williams and Corey Davis have drawn almost consensus opinion as the top two wideouts in the draft, but we like Ross as a late first-round or early second-round gem.

Source: PFF College Football on Twitter 
Feb 9 - 6:58 PM

One west area scout views Washington WR John Ross as an "edgy player" rather than a prospect with "bad body language," as some have described it.
"You’ll take some attitude when a guy scores as many touchdowns as he does," the scout told Lance Zierlein after explaining the bursts of emotion usually pop up after Ross drops a pass or is forced to deal with an underthrown vertical ball. John Ross will receive Corey Coleman and Will Fuller comparisons thanks to his big play upside. The lofty comparison is T.Y. Hilton. Ross' medicals at the NFL Combine will be important.

Feb 8 - 8:47 AM

Washington redshirt junior WR John Ross' injury history includes a meniscus tear in his right knee in 2014 followed by microfracture surgery.
Before the surgery, Ross played out the remainder of the season, from game three to the year's conclusion. "But I was worried if I said something, I probably would have to sit out for the rest of the season." Then Ross tore the ACL and meniscus in his left knee during spring practice, leading to a redshirt year in 2015. Ross took college football by storm this year, recording 1,150 yards and 17 touchdowns on 81 catches. It was easily his best season, which makes sense when considering he played with a torn meniscus in 2014, his last season on the field. Ross recently declared for the draft. It will be worth monitoring his medicals during the draft process.

Source: ESPN 
Jan 4 - 8:36 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmm, seems like they are forgetting someone in the PHI receiving corp......

"they got off to a good start in addressing that need when they landed Alshon Jeffery in free agency. Jordan Mathews and Zac Ertz are options, too, but the team flunked out with Dorial Green-Beckham, a receiver Philly traded for, as well as Nelson Agholor. Ross has the element that the Eagles need to round out a complementary skill corps alongside Wentz."

Hmmmmmm, seems like they are forgetting someone in the PHI receiving corp......

"they got off to a good start in addressing that need when they landed Alshon Jeffery in free agency. Jordan Mathews and Zac Ertz are options, too, but the team flunked out with Dorial Green-Beckham, a receiver Philly traded for, as well as Nelson Agholor. Ross has the element that the Eagles need to round out a complementary skill corps alongside Wentz."
Smith isn't a reason to not draft Ross imo but you're right that he should be included. 

Titans are a better fit than the bills, by far imo.

-OZ- said:
Smith isn't a reason to not draft Ross imo but you're right that he should be included. 

Titans are a better fit than the bills, by far imo.
Torrey Smith is only 28 and provides the exact same role in the offense Ross would.

John Ross' medical history and slight frame is the only downside, but in my opinion it's a big concern. 
If you see a clear top 6 as most seem to, and kamara/Ross/Howard are the next best, team need will probably make the decision if you are drafting today. Ross may offer the most upside of the group, but landing spots will change a lot of perceptions. 

John Ross' medical history and slight frame is the only downside, but in my opinion it's a big concern. 
He's short rather than thin - his BMI is actually the same as Mike Williams (26.7). I generally take BMI below 26.0 to be a warning sign for a WR, and anything above 26.5 to be not worth worrying about.

I currently have Ross as the clear #7 pick, although he could get passed by Kamara or a TE depending how the draft goes.

Greg Cosell's Nuggets Of Draft Wisdom

Excerpt:

5. John Ross' medical history (torn ACL, torn meniscus, labrum tear) and smaller frame might scare off some teams, but Cosell doesn't think a team would need the wide receiver to be a full-time player.

"I think the league has evolved in such a way that you can have a player like John Ross, who doesn't play 70 snaps a game. He can play 40 or 45 snaps and be valuable in multiple ways," Cosell said. "He's more than that as a receiver. He actually has a pretty good sense of how to run routes. He's very good with his understanding of how to set corners up on his vertical routes. You can use him on jet sweeps. You can use him in any number of ways. He's a multidimensional player that provides that vertical element."

Cosell added that Ross is a "way better prospect" than Will Fuller last year. Fuller was selected No. 21 overall by the Houston Texans.

Except that Ross can run a route, can catch, and doesn't suck.  Identical other than that though.
Except I compared the role in the offense being similar. Not the players being similar. Great observation other than that though.

It's possible that Ross averages 900yards/8td a season in his first four years. But if he does I won't describe that as he sucks.

Except I compared the role in the offense being similar. Not the players being similar. Great observation other than that though.

It's possible that Ross averages 900yards/8td a season in his first four years. But if he does I won't describe that as he sucks.
No you didn't. You didn't compare roles; you said HE provides (as in fills) the role. He does not. 

Nice sleight of hand calculating averages from his first four years though. He was so good in his role that the WR starved Ravens let him go and drafted Perryman as his replacement... for that role.

No you didn't. You didn't compare roles; you said HE provides (as in fills) the role. He does not. 

Nice sleight of hand calculating averages from his first four years though. He was so good in his role that the WR starved Ravens let him go and drafted Perryman as his replacement... for that role.
So if PHI drafts Ross they won't use Ross in the same role in the offense that Smith currently fills? Is that what you are saying? I was(and am for that matter) comparing the role Ross would play in the PHI offense to the role Smith will play in the PHI offense.

Call it slight of hand if you wish.... I'll call it simple addition of factual information.

A) Do you think John Ross will have 3500+yards/30+td over the next four years?

B) If he can't produce those numbers will that mean Ross "sucks"?

So if PHI drafts Ross they won't use Ross in the same role in the offense that Smith currently fills? Is that what you are saying? I was(and am for that matter) comparing the role Ross would play in the PHI offense to the role Smith will play in the PHI offense.

Call it slight of hand if you wish.... I'll call it simple addition of factual information.

You're talking on both sides. 

Oz: Smith isn't a reason to not draft Ross
You: Torrey Smith is only 28 and provides the exact same role in the offense Ross would.
Hank: Except that Ross can run a route, can catch, and doesn't suck
You: Except I compared the role in the offense being similar. Not the players being similar. 
Andy: You didn't compare roles; you said HE provides (as in fills) the role. 
You: So if PHI drafts Ross they won't use Ross in the same role in the offense that Smith currently fills?

Yes,  that's exactly what we're saying.  But that's not what it appears you're saying. You seem to be saying they don't need Ross because they have Smith. At least,  that's how it reads. 

You're not following the argument. 

Oz: Smith isn't a reason to not draft Ross
You: Torrey Smith is only 28 and provides the exact same role in the offense Ross would.
Hank: Except that Ross can run a route, can catch, and doesn't suck
You: Except I compared the role in the offense being similar. Not the players being similar. 
Andy: You didn't compare roles; you said HE provides (as in fills) the role. 
You: So if PHI drafts Ross they won't use Ross in the same role in the offense that Smith currently fills?

Yes,  that's exactly what we're saying.  But that's not what it appears you're saying. You seem to be saying they don't need Ross because they have Smith. At least,  that's how it reads. 
Here is what I am saying.

Me: The Philadelphia Eagles needED a deep threat in their offense.

Me: The Philadelphia Eagles signed Torrey Smith to play in the deep threat role in their offense.

Me: The Philadelphia Eagles can draft John Ross as a deep threat WR.

Me: If the Philadelphia Eagles draft John Ross to fill the deep threat ROLE in the offense they will have both Torrey Smith and John Ross playing the deep role in that offense. 

Me: I am comparing the ROLE each player would play in that offense. In my comparison those two ROLES would be very, very similar this season. I think each player would play on the outside and stretch the defense. I am not comparing which player is better. I am comparing the ROLE each would play in that offense.

Me: The Philadelphia Eagles signed Torrey Smith to play in the deep threat role in their offense.

Me: If the Philadelphia Eagles draft John Ross to fill the deep threat ROLE in the offense they will have both Torrey Smith and John Ross playing the deep role in that offense. 

Me: I am comparing the ROLE each player would play in that offense. In my comparison those two ROLES would be very, very similar this season. I think each player would play on the outside and stretch the defense. I am not comparing which player is better. I am comparing the ROLE each would play in that offense.
Except that Ross would keep Smith on the bench or even cut because Ross can actually run a route, can catch, and doesn't suck.

Anyway,  it read to the rest of us like you were saying they didn't need Ross because they have Smith.

:shrug: the same logic can be applied to QBs. Why would you draft a potential franchise QB if you have a QB on your roster?

BoltBacker said:

They don't provide the same role if one sucks and one doesn't. 

BoltBacker said:

Ross, if healthy, would play a much larger role than just running 9's.  Because he doesn't suck.

A) If he has the same competition at WR that Smith had with a comparable QB and he's healthy, yes.

B) Yes, or he was hurt.

An NFL executive believes that Washington WR John Ross may slide in the draft due to his past health issues.

"I could see Ross sliding because of durability concerns It will be interesting to see how he comes out of the combine medical recheck," the executive said. Among the previous injuries that speedster Ross has under the belt, a pair of torn ACLs, plus a surgically-repaired shoulder (he underwent a procedure in March after finishing up with Combine festivities). While the executive in question believes Ross has a chance to slip, the wideout has upward draft mobility into the teens. We don't see him dropping out of the first round.

Apr 18 - 9:22 PM

Ross, if healthy, would play a much larger role than just running 9's.  Because he doesn't suck.

A) If he has the same competition at WR that Smith had with a comparable QB and he's healthy, yes.

B) Yes, or he was hurt.
Well, that's the whole question. His health or lack thereof. 

Andy Dufresne said:
Except that Ross would keep Smith on the bench or even cut because Ross can actually run a route, can catch, and doesn't suck.

Anyway,  it read to the rest of us like you were saying they didn't need Ross because they have Smith.
I guess I don't understand how many targets the outside deep threat is expected to get in that offense. Are Jeffery, Mathews, Ertz, and a cluster of receiving RB's not going to get targets in this offense? 

Just seems like a ridiculous mis-management of resources to me to invest a 3yr/$15mil contract for a guy that won't get on the field AND a high draft pick(1st round?) for a guy that hasn't had much luck staying on the field..... all to fill a role in the offense that, while important, isn't likely to see many targets and have much overall production.

I also don't understand how Torrey Smith is this awful player because he got caught in an offensive ####-storm in SF the past two seasons. If Torrey Smith "sucks" I wonder what descriptor should be used for Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick? I'm guessing the same people running around announcing that they know Smith is just terrible had the exact same opinion of DeMarco Murray....... what, nine months ago? 

I don't see philly signing two WRs to decent contracts fairly early in FA then using their 1st on a wr as well. They have other needs that need to be addressed. 

I guess I don't understand how many targets the outside deep threat is expected to get in that offense. Are Jeffery, Mathews, Ertz, and a cluster of receiving RB's not going to get targets in this offense? 

Just seems like a ridiculous mis-management of resources to me to invest a 3yr/$15mil contract for a guy that won't get on the field AND a high draft pick(1st round?) for a guy that hasn't had much luck staying on the field..... all to fill a role in the offense that, while important, isn't likely to see many targets and have much overall production.

I also don't understand how Torrey Smith is this awful player because he got caught in an offensive ####-storm in SF the past two seasons. If Torrey Smith "sucks" I wonder what descriptor should be used for Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick? I'm guessing the same people running around announcing that they know Smith is just terrible had the exact same opinion of DeMarco Murray....... what, nine months ago? 
Fwiw, I'm not saying smith sucks.  I'm just saying if they think Ross is a future #1 or 2 receiver, having smith on the team shouldn't stop them from taking him.  Totally agree that they have more pressing needs like a Corner or running back. 

I don't see philly signing two WRs to decent contracts fairly early in FA then using their 1st on a wr as well. They have other needs that need to be addressed. 
Jeffrey's contract is a reasonable amount (by NFL standards) and is only a 1 year deal.

Smith's contract is even more reasonable and is essentially a 1 year deal.

The WR situation in Philly is far from settled.

Anyway, it's probably true that it's unlikely that the Eagles draft a WR in the 1st or even 2nd round.

Jeffrey's contract is a reasonable amount (by NFL standards) and is only a 1 year deal.

Smith's contract is even more reasonable and is essentially a 1 year deal.

The WR situation in Philly is far from settled.

Anyway, it's probably true that it's unlikely that the Eagles draft a WR in the 1st or even 2nd round.
Sure, but it's not like smith signed for the vet minimum in training camp. It seems to me that he was on their radar early in free agency. Furthermore, if they draft someone in the first 3 rds I think it sinks Mathews and agholors value (is he still on the team?) rather than smith. I don't think smith is going to tear it up but I think pederson is valuing veteran presence over young upside at this point.

What if Arizona took Mahomes at 13, then traded back into the 1st for Ross?  Give up picks 45 and 77 to jump back in and grab a very talented player who's sliding.

That would give them the giant arm to match with the blazing speed.  

What if Arizona took Mahomes at 13, then traded back into the 1st for Ross?  Give up picks 45 and 77 to jump back in and grab a very talented player who's sliding.

That would give them the giant arm to match with the blazing speed.  
That seems too early for Mahomes. I think it's more likely that they could trade down and take Ross in the first then take Kizer in the second. Same effect (deep ball WR with a big arm QB) but it works a bit better for draft capital. 

That seems too early for Mahomes. I think it's more likely that they could trade down and take Ross in the first then take Kizer in the second. Same effect (deep ball WR with a big arm QB) but it works a bit better for draft capital. 
It seemed like it a couple weeks ago - it's not farfetched now.

I've seen mocks with him in the top 13 a couple times now. I think it's a mistake, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.
The guy passed for 730 yards in 1 game. Some GM is going to lose his #### over that.

Agreed. Yeah it wasn't meant to come across as me saying "this was a stupid post". Sorry @steelers1080 if it came across that way. Building off of his post with another option and my opinion of Mahomes. 

Way to move the goalposts.  It was in no way the question.  Sucking and being hurt are two totally different things. 
Production was the question. Always was. If the goal posts seem like they are moving it's because you're head is spinning. All that matters is what they can actually produce(in what I contend will be a limited role in the offense). Burning money and early draft picks on a small percentage of the offense makes no sense at all. 

I am just curious, what percentage of targets do you think will be left after the RB's, TE's, and Jeffery/Mathews are taken out? Just how much capital should PHI invest in that piece of the offensive pie?

BoltBacker said:
Production was the question. Always was. If the goal posts seem like they are moving it's because you're head is spinning. All that matters is what they can actually produce(in what I contend will be a limited role in the offense). Burning money and early draft picks on a small percentage of the offense makes no sense at all. 

I am just curious, what percentage of targets do you think will be left after the RB's, TE's, and Jeffery/Mathews are taken out? Just how much capital should PHI invest in that piece of the offensive pie?
Ertz is average, the rbs are awful, Jeffery is a question mark, and Mathews sucks in an offence that is very pass happy. Is this supposed to be a negative?

Users who are viewing this thread