What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR John Ross, KC (1 Viewer)

This is madness. He was nigh upon unrosterable 10 days ago, and now you want no less than a 1st?

I haven’t moved him yet because no one in my league will pay a 2nd, but the instant that they will he’s off my roster. 
TBH I would probably take an early 2020 2nd, not sure about a later one.

I was actually buying him cheap all offseason because I thought he had the potential to be this years Tyler Boyd type who everyone gave up on too soon.  I have just acquired him cheaply so I'm not trying to salvage value like some may be.  Maybe I'm still playing with my house money after hitting on free Tyler Boyd everywhere last season. 

My reasoning is a lot of what Rickyg mentioned.  He was hurt a lot and in the Lewis doghouse.  Now he is healthy and has a new coaching staff who seems more competent.  He's also super young and has really elite athletecism. 

I like his draft capital too, but at the same time the Bengals are one of the worst scouting teams in the league, it was a surprise pick, and it only takes one team to draft a player way too high. 

8-10 targets today

5/65/TD, 6/88...I'll take either of those two box scores. If he doesn't make a TD today, think he can still put up double digits in PPR leagues. 

And if you don't get PPR scoring, how could you pass on a guy after 150/2TD, he's worth even more in the short term in non-PPR. 

When AJ returns we can rethink all this but I would ride this guy for the next few weeks, if you happen to own Golden Tate and are waiting patiently for his suspension to be over, Ross is a perfect fill in for right now. 

John Ross caught 4-of-8 targets for 112 yards and a touchdown in Week 2 against the 49ers.

Ross didn’t do much before a 66-yard touchdown on the Bengals' final drive. He broke two tackles on the play and exploded down the middle of the field for the score. Ross had another drop this week, something he's struggled with throughout his career. With A.J. Green likely returning in the next couple games, this isn't a bad sell high spot for Ross. Ross will be an upside WR4 for Week 3 against Buffalo.
So this what you telling me Roto...

Thank Zac Taylor for dialing up a 4th and 10 garbage time 58-yard scoring strike.  Made a big difference on his numbers this week.  Though oddly encouraging in it's own way.

-QG
Yes, that garbage time td saved his day, or the perception and  narrative would be a lot different post game.   I am pulling for Ross big time as a Bengals fan, and love that Zac is giving him the chances, but I'm not sure the stats from these first 2 weeks are indicative of his outlook once Green comes back (assuming he comes back close to 100 percent).   I certainly hope this continues to boost his confidence though. 

Yes, that garbage time td saved his day, or the perception and  narrative would be a lot different post game.   I am pulling for Ross big time as a Bengals fan, and love that Zac is giving him the chances, but I'm not sure the stats from these first 2 weeks are indicative of his outlook once Green comes back (assuming he comes back close to 100 percent).   I certainly hope this continues to boost his confidence though. 
I think even with Green back Ross is always going to be out there as a wildcard threat because of his speed/big play ability.  I see him as being sort of like Alvin Harper was for the Cowboys back in the day.  The target volume may go down a little but I do think he'll still get his fill of 4/108/1 type days - boom or bust.  Plus - the line cannot run block at all.  They tried to have a balanced game plan today but the running game was fruitless.  The way things look we're gonna be throwing 40+ times every week - it's the only way we can move the ball and by the look of things we're gonna be playing from behind an awful lot.

-QG

I think even with Green back Ross is always going to be out there as a wildcard threat because of his speed/big play ability.  I see him as being sort of like Alvin Harper was for the Cowboys back in the day.  The target volume may go down a little but I do think he'll still get his fill of 4/108/1 type days - boom or bust.  Plus - the line cannot run block at all.  They tried to have a balanced game plan today but the running game was fruitless.  The way things look we're gonna be throwing 40+ times every week - it's the only way we can move the ball and by the look of things we're gonna be playing from behind an awful lot.

-QG
Agree; it seems our only chance of moving the ball is via the air, which should at least pad stats for the wrs and Dalton (although he is likely going to take a beating in the process).   I'm hoping Ross continues to show and keep me from having this nervous feeling everytime he is involved in a play.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy and want him involved,  bc I kind of see this as a quasi rebuild year under new coaching , but I suppose the past 2 yrs have conditioned me to hold my breath when it goes his way.   Not to monopolize the thread, but I am still optimistic with Zac Taylor at the helm.   J Williams injury really hurt the offense this year.  The D really disappointed today , but back on topic; you make a good point about the team likely needing to throw a lot while behind this year, which obviously bodes well for fantasy owners of our Wr's including Ross.   I think it might be pretty boom/bust, but I think there are more big plays to come.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross is a guy id never want to start unless I have to but still should be owned. I hate owning guys like that. 

It was not fun but Cinci could not sustain a drive to save their lives all day. I think he will continue to be a must start as long as AJ is out or even 1st game back he won't see all the snaps. Ross scored as strong as anyone who was snatched off the waiver wire this past week. 

That said if you wanted to sell high you wouldn't need to apologize. This is an up n down situation but he still likely is going to have a few more big games. @Buff @Pitt next couple weeks. 

Fantasy football stats to know from Week 2

Excerpt:

5. John Ross leads all wide receivers in fantasy points scored (45.0).

Wait… what?

Is Ross now a must-start heading into Week 3? Or would that just be an overreaction to a small two-game sample? Or, if we left him on the bench, are we moving too slow to embrace the new reality of the 2019 season? These are the sort of questions you’re always going to be asking yourself this early into a new season.

It’s hard to fully trust Ross after his first two seasons in the NFL. He carries good draft capital (a top-10 pick in 2017) and blazing fast speed (4.22 40-yard dash), but he failed to catch a single pass in his rookie season. Last year, he ranked worst of 82 qualifying wide receivers in yards per target (3.62), well below the league-average rate among qualifiers (8.3).

Through two weeks, Ross ranks 13th in air yards (232), seventh in targets (20), first in yards (270), and first in touchdowns (three). So, Ross has been terrific, while also seeing terrific volume. It seems as though he’s locked into “the Brandin Cooks role” in Zay Taylor’s Sean McVay-influenced offense. Even so, it’s unlikely Ross keeps up this pace, but I do think it’s possible he returns mid-range WR3 volume at least until A.J. Green returns from injury. Week 3 will be the real test. He’s probably better left on your bench this week, up against a Buffalo Bills defense that, in each of the last two seasons, has surrendered the fewest fantasy points per game and the fewest fantasy points per target to receivers on deep passes.

I disagree with the idea of benching him this week. I would not bench John Ross until AJ Green is back and fully healthy. Even if Green decides to give it a go in a couple weeks, I don't expect him to look 100% right away. 

Cinci's defense does not look like they can stop a whole lot of teams and Marvin Lewis left the cupboard bare over there. It's likely CInci will have to throw a lot all season so again Ross might see less targets but he seems perfectly capable of breaking big plays plus when AJ gets back it will rotate DBs to double cover him, that leaves Ross one on one vs DB2/DB3 types, this is going to create big mismatches. It's hard to imagine he goes from 270 yds and 3 TDs over 2 weeks to sitting on the bench 75% of the offensive snaps. 

Faust said:
PERFECT example of a phenomena called "recency bias".  Everyone is so indoctrinated into the "ross is a bust" mindframe, that they cannot wrap their arms around how this guy could be lighting up the league rt now.  They are disregarding his college production, draft capital, elite skillset, new coaching staff, new offensive scheme and his role in it...plus the production in weeks 1 and 2.  He's a smallish injury prone guy, but no more than a guy like Marquise Brown...so if you're excited about Brown you should be equally excited about Ross, who is only 23.  His rookie season was essentially red shirted.  His sophomore season he was inefficient on a horrific team but still caught 7 td's, so not a total bust.  His usage was more of a problem than he was.  Context matters 

Sep 17 6:33pm ET

Cincinnati Bengals WR A.J. Green (ankle) broke his silence Tuesday, Sept. 17, in regards to his preseason ankle injury and suggested he will miss more than the six to eight weeks that had initially been reported. 'I don't know where they got the six to eight weeks from. It's going to be longer than that, It's just one of those things that has to heal on its own. When I feel I'm healthy enough to play at the level I'm used to playing, I just want to make sure it's at 100 percent,' Green told the team's website.

Fantasy Slant: John Ross could be locked into nearly 10 targets per game for the next few weeks. This guy is taking some of the heat off of owners of underperforming WRs and there are plenty to go around. 

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports John Ross (shoulder) is expected to miss multiple games.

Ross suffered his injury in the second half of Monday Night Football's blowout loss. It's an injury that an 0-4 team can't have, especially with the depth behind Ross. Tyler Boyd will continue to handle the slot and be the top receiver for Andy Dalton, while 2018 7th-rounder Auden Tate slides into the No. 2 role. When Ross is healthy -- that "could be a month or so" per Garafolo -- he might be the team's third option with A.J. Green (ankle) inching towards a return.

RELATED: 

Auden Tate

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Oct 1, 2019, 6:17 PM ET

Well, he did win me one game after I grabbed him. So at 2-2, can't fault him for that. Back to the wire for thee. Guy just can't get right.

Bengals placed WR John Ross (clavicle) on injured reserve.

Ross can't catch a break in terms of injuries; he'll be sidelined a minimum of eight games before being eligible to return from I.R. Ross left with a shoulder injury this past Monday night and has been diagnosed with a collarbone issue. Ross can now be dropped in season-long leagues. The Bengals signed WR Stanley Morgan off their practice squad to take Ross' spot.

Oct 2, 2019, 1:27 PM ET

Ross just thrown on IR.  That Tate dude gonna do anything?

I appreciate the info because in our league, when a player like Ross hits IR, the owner moves to the front of the pack on the WW.

not sure who I am targeting if anyone but it's great to be able to link this directly into our ongoing league texts and message board, etc...thanks!

John Ross (clavicle, I.R.) has been cleared to practice.

Ross will be one of the Bengals' two designated for return players. He's not eligible to return to game action until Week 14, but this opens his three-week practice window. Ross got off to a scorching start to the season before breaking his collarbone in Week 4. It's unclear how the Bengals receiver room will look come Week 14, but Ross isn't someone to add in fantasy right now.

Nov 13, 2019, 11:52 AM ET

Coach Zac Taylor said that WR John Ross (clavicle, IR) will be active for the team's Week 14 matchup against the Browns.

Ross posted 7-158-2, 4-112-1, 2-22-0 and 3-36-0 receiving lines in Weeks 1-4. He was the overall PPR WR15 during that span. It's unwise to expect immediate WR2 production from Ross due to the potential for limited snaps as well as the new-found involvement of Auden Tate. Still, Ross' field-stretching ability will at least help open up the underneath areas of the field for Tyler Boyd and Joe Mixon among others.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter

Dec 2, 2019, 3:04 PM ET

Bengals activated John Ross (clavicle) from injured reserve.

Coach Zac Taylor has already confirmed Ross will have "a role" on Sunday against the Browns. He'll likely be limited in his first game back, but his team-high share of air yards through the first month of the season obviously prove he can hit even if his reps are initially scaled back. Tyler Boyd, Auden Tate, and Ross figure to close the year in Cincinnati's three-wide sets with Andy Dalton under center.

Dec 3, 2019, 12:23 PM ET

Bengals coach Zac Taylor said John Ross will "have a role" in Week 14 against the Browns.

"We will have to ease him back in," Taylor said. "How much of a role he has? I don’t know if we’ll just start and throw him out there and play him 65 plays. He’ll have a role and he’ll have a spot on the offense moving forward for sure." Ross' 32 targets were second only to Tyler Boyd's 39 in the four games he played before sustaining a clavicle injury, but the former did lead the team in air yards (377) and receiving touchdowns (3) in that limited span. Ross has the skillset to hit even if his reps are managed against Cleveland. Consider him a deep league waiver add slated to face the Browns and Dolphins over Cincy's next 3-of-4 games.

SOURCE: Bengals.com

Dec 3, 2019, 10:24 AM ET

It would be great if we knew what his snap count might look like. But comments like "We will have to ease him back in" are not highly encouraging for this week. 

I think Ross is a fine depth add for teams that are on byes this week and have plenty of bench space and depth to go around.  But you're probably not using him this week.  And you're probably not using him next week against the Patriots.  So this is purely about holstering a magic bullet for that Week 16 championship game against Miami if you feel confident you can get there without much in the way of lineup tweaking.

I think Ross is a fine depth add for teams that are on byes this week and have plenty of bench space and depth to go around.  But you're probably not using him this week.  And you're probably not using him next week against the Patriots.  So this is purely about holstering a magic bullet for that Week 16 championship game against Miami if you feel confident you can get there without much in the way of lineup tweaking.
I think he could hit a home run this week as well but its all about snap count. The Bengals don't have anything to play for, so I doubt they play him without restrictions this week. But all it takes is one 60yd TD which he's had 3 weeks to prepare for. 

TwinTurbo said:
I think he could hit a home run this week as well but its all about snap count. The Bengals don't have anything to play for, so I doubt they play him without restrictions this week. But all it takes is one 60yd TD which he's had 3 weeks to prepare for. 
He was healthy the first two games this year where he put up these numbers

John Ross III PRODUCTION OVER THE FIRST TWO GAMES WHEN HEALTHY

1st game against Seattle:

• 7 receptions  (on 12 targets which he 'apparently' won't get this game)
  • 158 receiving yards
  • 2 receiving TDs
2nd game against San Francisco:

• 4 receptions (on 8 targets which might be a 'tad' high but he could have similar REC w/less targets)
  • 112 receiving yards
  • 1 receiving TD
You are right, it only takes one long TD bomb for him to have a nice fantasy game.  

He is a high risk/reward play but he has been out so long.  If anything pick him up and sit and hold.   I got him much earlier in the season when someone dropped him when he went on IR in dynasty.  I wasn't expecting him back this soon so I'm ...  :popcorn:

John Ross caught 2-of-3 targets for 28 yards in the Bengals' Week 14 loss to the Browns.

It was Ross' first game since breaking his collarbone in Week 4. Ross was in and out of the lineup, as the Bengals eased him back in before Auden Tate left with an ankle injury. Ross should see more run next week against the Patriots but won't be a recommended fantasy option.

Ross only had 3 targets but with the injury to Auden Tate he 'should' be in line for more this week.

The Cincinnati Bengals placed wide receiver Auden Tate on injured reserve Tuesday with a sprained left MCL.
The issue is the Bengals face New England and with Tate out the Pats 'could' match up CB Stephon Gilmore against him but I think they would want to place him on WR Tyler Boyd which would force Dalton to target Ross more since I don't think he would be looking to challenge Gilmore.

John Ross (foot) was a limited participant for Wednesday's practice.

It could be nothing since Ross has only been available for one game since being activated from injured reserve. For what it's worth, he did participate during the portion of practice open to the media. Fantasy players should still try and roster him with the idea of starting him in Week 16 against the Dolphins no matter his status this Sunday against the Patriots.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 3:14 PM ET

John Ross (foot) practiced again Thursday, getting in a "full" session.

ESPN Bengals reporter Ben Baby confirms Ross will play against the Patriots. Ross managed just 28 yards last week in his return from a collarbone injury. He's an easy fade against a Pats secondary that has yielded the second-fewest passing yards per game this season.

Dec 12, 2019, 2:36 PM ET

I have a feeling he is going to light Miami up down here. The winds are kind of heavy or gusty but otherwise it's pretty smooth sailing. 

This could be the hail mary some of you are trying to find right now. 

7/158/2TD

4/112/TD those were Weeks 1 and 2. 

John Ross caught 6-of-13 targets for 84 yards in the Bengals' Week 16 loss to the Dolphins.

Ross only played a couple of dozen snaps in his two games prior to today, but the speedster was on the field a lot more on Sunday -- his 13 targets were a season-high. Ross, quite frankly, should've had a bigger game given all of the usage, but the 84 yards were more than what you could've asked for when plugging him in as a WR4/5 dart throw this morning. Ross will be an upside flex option in Week 17 against the Browns if everyone plays their starters.

Ross Dynasty value? I don't have a good bead on him. Being offered him for Dallas Goedert whom I love as a future elite TE once Ertz isn't around or he moves on (or now as he is basically a WR on a WR wasteland team right now but that is temp to this year). I have good talent and depth at WR so I am not desperate. Where as TE I have a lot of hopes and dreams after average starter in Ebron like Geisiki, Griffin and Hollister. So... where do we see his future value? 

Ross Dynasty value? I don't have a good bead on him. Being offered him for Dallas Goedert whom I love as a future elite TE once Ertz isn't around or he moves on (or now as he is basically a WR on a WR wasteland team right now but that is temp to this year). I have good talent and depth at WR so I am not desperate. Where as TE I have a lot of hopes and dreams after average starter in Ebron like Geisiki, Griffin and Hollister. So... where do we see his future value? 
I'm high on him.  Should get Burrow this year, AJG should be gone, 2nd year in the Zac Taylor system playing the Cooks role, and he just turned 24 - younger than Terry McLaurin. 

I think he's worth a 2nd right now. 

I'm high on him.  Should get Burrow this year, AJG should be gone, 2nd year in the Zac Taylor system playing the Cooks role, and he just turned 24 - younger than Terry McLaurin. 

I think he's worth a 2nd right now. 
Yea, you are high on him. I see your points. Better QB is prob the biggest. Can he stay healthy?

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

Bengals Wide Receivers

• A.J. Green
  • Tyler Boyd
  • John Ross (on the block?)
  • Tee Higgins
  • Auden Tate
  • Alex Erickson
  • Stanley Morgan
  • Damion Willis
  • Michael D. Thomas
  • Trenton Irwin
  • DaMarkus Lodge
7:15 PM · Apr 24, 2020

Bengals declined the fifth-year option on WR John Ross for 2021.

This reality could lead to second-round pick Tee Higgins perhaps finding his way into three-WR sets sooner rather than later. Ross has totaled a pedestrian 49-716-10 receiving line in 24 games since entering the league in 2017. The former No. 9 overall pick has struggled to stay on the field, but flashed serious upside with 7-158-2 and 4-112-1 performances to start the 2019 season. Speed kills, and the man who once ran the 40-yard dash in 4.22 seconds will assuredly get a second chance elsewhere to find a consistent role.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

May 2, 2020, 5:34 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread