What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (3 Viewers)

Please.

Obama saying that "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon" and "Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago" is not the same as calling Kaepernick and others who kneel "sons of #####es" - not even close.

If he had called George Zimmerman, who you defended, a "son of a #####" or something similar, then you would be making an apples to apples comparison instead of applies to watermelons.
Actually it was much much worse. Obama sent a team of lawyers down there who spent over a year trying to drum up civil rights charges they could file against Zimmerman.  All Trump did was put out his usual diarrhea.  

Disagree. Most of them are about sending a message of solidarity against a President attempting to use his position to silence them.
Especially since in one speech, he supports white supremacists and in another he derides black football players for attempting to bring attention to racial injustice.    

Does anyone here have a Venn Diagram illustrating the intersections and separations of "people who wish Kaepernick et al would be so disrespectful during the anthem" and "people who supported Tim Tebow's right to take a knee after his team scored a touchdown."

Disagree. Most of them are about sending a message of solidarity against a President attempting to use his position to silence them.
Right, and for me this is an easy one to "pick sides" on.  One group is peacefully exercising their first amendment rights to protest authoritarian overreach by the president.  The other group is Trump and his supporters.  I'm all in favor of the NFL players on this one.

That said, it is not healthy when concepts like "patriotism" and "free speech" become the intellectual property of one side of the aisle.  The Republicans have had all sorts of success since at least 1988 in portraying the left as at least vaguely unpatriotric.  It would be nice if those of us who think Trump is garbage could find some way of expressing that view that didn't involve amplifying this disconnect further.  

Actually it was much much worse. Obama sent a team of lawyers down there who spent over a year trying to drum up civil rights charges they could file against Zimmerman.  All Trump did was put out his usual diarrhea.  
No. Not even close.

Many in the African American community believed this was a hate crime and asked the federal government to look into and bring charges if justified. Obama had an obligation to do that after the acquittal that many thought was unjust and a miscarriage of justice. The Justice Dept. found there was insufficient evidence to bring any hate crime charges. That is not worse than a public statement calling NFL players "Sons of #####es" - please.

No. Not even close.

Many in the African American community believed this was a hate crime and asked the federal government to look into and bring charges if justified. Obama had an obligation to do that after the acquittal that many thought was unjust and a miscarriage of justice. The Justice Dept. found there was insufficient evidence to bring any hate crime charges. That is not worse than a public statement calling NFL players "Sons of #####es" - please.
He had no such obligation.  The case was an open book and all the facts were known. Besides those lawyers were sent long before the trial even began.  There was not any information that this warranted such an investigation.  It was an abuse of power and it showed Obama most certainly took sides.  

Pats fans booing their players who took a knee.
Tom E. Curran‏Verified account @tomecurran 7m7 minutes ago

Boos and chants of "Stand up!" As the anthem begins with a few Patriots taking a knee in front of bench.

Scattered yells continue during anthem demanding that those kneeling stop disrespecting anthem.

And a cascade of boos as anthem ends.

Right, and for me this is an easy one to "pick sides" on.  One group is peacefully exercising their first amendment rights to protest authoritarian overreach by the president.  The other group is Trump and his supporters.  I'm all in favor of the NFL players on this one.

That said, it is not healthy when concepts like "patriotism" and "free speech" become the intellectual property of one side of the aisle.  The Republicans have had all sorts of success since at least 1988 in portraying the left as at least vaguely unpatriotric.  It would be nice if those of us who think Trump is garbage could find some way of expressing that view that didn't involve amplifying this disconnect further.  
What does the first amendment have to with this? Hasn't the left been screeching for years that companies have a right to fire someone if they say or do something the company disagrees with or that breaks company policy? See ESPN. See Google. Why should the NFL be any different? 

I agree, it would be nice if the left could find a way of expressing their disagreement with Trump that didn't involve burning flags, attacking people, disrespecting military and police, kneeling during the anthem, threatening assassination, calling someone a racist/Nazi, etc.

And :lmao:  at authoritarian overreach. That is a good one.

If players have the right to kneel it is freedom of speech, if the president tweets that they should gets the s.o.b.s off the field then it is not protected?  Not very presidential I agree, coarse, tactless, divisive...If fans get up and walk out, aren't they exercising their rights to free speech?  Or is that not okay?  Trying to figure out what speech is free and what speech isn't.

As for the fans walking out - sure that is a statement, but they have already purchased their overpriced tickets - so the only thing they are hurting is the overpriced concessions they are not purchasing.  Do the players care if the hot dog vendor loses a job?

Yeah. He can be an odd bird.  Not sure where that comment came from. 
:rolleyes:

That analogy has been made dozens of times in the FFA and this forum. It has never called racist before this. So interesting to see you suddenly become PC in reference to a perceived slight to Obama (I guess there is hope for you yet).

Michael Ian Black‏Verified account @michaelianblack 6h6 hours ago

The other thing we could do is stop pretending football games are patriotic events.

Silently taking the knee during the National Anthem IS a forceful way to speak out without disrespecting the flag.

Protest is supposed to make people uncomfortable. That's why my "eat pizza at home and go to bed by nine" protests were so ineffective.

The craziest thing is Trump has somehow managed to make the NFL sympathetic.

So most of the Steelers stayed in the locker room, now they are losing to the worst team in the NFL after playing politics before the game. Anything earth shattering at the other games I missed while at sons practice? Any full teams?

I'm sick of this crap. The Sunday pre-game shows were talking about this non-stop. Which team is planning what type of protest, who tweeted what, who responded to which tweets, on and on and on. Ugh. How about some actual football? Who's healthy, who's playing, etc. 
Blame the President. Had he not gone out of his way at an Alabama campaign rally for Luther Strange to inexplicably raise this issue, you would probably not have heard a word about the continuing protests on the pre-game shows. And I am pretty certain watching the national anthem being played wouldn't have become must see TV before the games as it has today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sick of this crap. The Sunday pre-game shows were talking about this non-stop. Which team is planning what type of protest, who tweeted what, who responded to which tweets, on and on and on. Ugh. How about some actual football? Who's healthy, who's playing, etc. 
I stopped watching pre-game shows years ago.  Not because of this of course, but they're generally terrible.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 39s39 seconds ago

Great solidarity for our National Anthem and for our Country. Standing with locked arms is good, kneeling is not acceptable. Bad ratings!
The conversation we should be having is not about these protests, patriotism and the first amendment.  The important topic which everyone is afraid to touch is the mental health of our chief executive. The media are cowardly for failing to openly address this issue, which at this point has become crucially urgent.

Next year thinking about adding to the scoring  if your player kneels before the game you get -1 points, or +1 points if you so wish.  League vote. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom E. Curran‏Verified account @tomecurran 7m7 minutes ago

Boos and chants of "Stand up!" As the anthem begins with a few Patriots taking a knee in front of bench.

Scattered yells continue during anthem demanding that those kneeling stop disrespecting anthem.

And a cascade of boos as anthem ends.
Stop disrespecting my anthem...as I scream things at you while it plays.

:lmao:

Kaepernick is not playing today. Adjust your lineup accordingly.

What does the first amendment have to with this? Hasn't the left been screeching for years that companies have a right to fire someone if they say or do something the company disagrees with or that breaks company policy? See ESPN. See Google. Why should the NFL be any different? 

I agree, it would be nice if the left could find a way of expressing their disagreement with Trump that didn't involve burning flags, attacking people, disrespecting military and police, kneeling during the anthem, threatening assassination, calling someone a racist/Nazi, etc.

And :lmao:  at authoritarian overreach. That is a good one.
Companies do have that right...on their own.

it becomes a first Amendment issue when the President uses the power of his office to call for their firing.

I'm curious who made the decision to have the Steelers stay in the locker room? If it came from the team, isn't that limiting their 1st Amendment rights? Why would that be any different from a team telling a player to not kneel?

If players have the right to kneel it is freedom of speech, if the president tweets that they should gets the s.o.b.s off the field then it is not protected?  Not very presidential I agree, coarse, tactless, divisive...If fans get up and walk out, aren't they exercising their rights to free speech?  Or is that not okay?  Trying to figure out what speech is free and what speech isn't.

As for the fans walking out - sure that is a statement, but they have already purchased their overpriced tickets - so the only thing they are hurting is the overpriced concessions they are not purchasing.  Do the players care if the hot dog vendor loses a job?
He isn’t a private citizen.

anyine else tweeting it is pretty much whatever...the president advocating for a private business to fire people based on protest is where that changes.

NFL2DF said:
Who is afraid to touch this?

The media, twitter, even our very own political forum here at FBG have been in hysterics for over a year about Trump's mental health.

The real issue not being discussed is CTE. If the media had any integrity or players and fans really cared about black lives then they would be having a conversation about CTE which kills more blacks than the cops.
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread