What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (3 Viewers)

The ones making the biggest deal definitely came out flat or completely blew it like Pittsburgh. Didn't see Bills game did they stay in locker room too? Shady has always been pretty childish, see Chip Kelly. Seahawks personalities have been big on the black power fists in the air and taking it further than most but both teams in that game skipped it. Will be interesting to see if the level of demonstrations continue or if Tomlin and Carroll get the focus back to football. 
Pittsburgh has blowing it in their DNA. Didn't take a protest to make them look bad on the road. Seahawks are shaky with or without.

Bunk.

You guys may not like it but this is winner for Trump. So now you have democrats calling for anthem protests because they hate Trump. Think about that. Trump has pushed them into a corner now where they have to disrespect our country in the troops to protest Trump. And sorry, the majority of people agree with him .
So what does trump "win"?

Are you somehow equating players protesting with success or failure?

Because a lot of the Bills players kneeled and Shady went so far as to call the President an ###hole. And they managed to beat the Broncos who didn't do a lot of protesting.
He is and it's glorious to watch

You guys may not like it but this is winner for Trump. So now you have democrats calling for anthem protests because they hate Trump. Think about that. Trump has pushed them into a corner now where they have to disrespect our country and the troops to protest Trump. And sorry, the majority of people agree with him .
Wait, what Democrats are calling for anthem protests? The only one I am aware of is Donna Edwards, an African American who is no longer a member of Congress. We haven't heard Shumer, Pelosi, or other current Democrats in the House or Senate calling for protests.

Wait, what Democrats are calling for anthem protests? The only one I am aware of is Donna Edwards, an African American who is no longer a member of Congress. We haven't heard Shumer, Pelosi, or other current Democrats in the House or Senate calling for protests.
You just answered your own question. And why does it matter that she's black? 

Which drivers fly confederate flags?
Didn't say any drivers did. However a little more background on the subject from a 2015 article, which shows NASCARs attempt to move away from the Confederate symbol, but was meeting resistance from the fans.

https://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2015/9/10/9299515/nascar-confederate-flag-darlington-south-carolina

NASCAR’s Confederate flag conundrum

[...]

And the "throwback" theme extended beyond what was happening on the track. Throughout Darlington's infield and the camping grounds surrounding the track located in a sleepy town of almost 6,300, there persisted the inescapable sight of a red flag with blue bars and white stars.

The Confederate flag and NASCAR have long been intertwined, the roots of each extending to the Deep South with some regarding both as Southern institutions. For decades the stars and bars were omnipresent at NASCAR races. Darlington's used to label its spring event the "Rebel 400," featured the flag prominently on programs and other advertisements and played "Dixie" during pre-race ceremonies.

Over the years, though, the sanctioning body has distanced itself greatly from the Confederate flag. This summer, following the shooting deaths of nine African-Americans at the hands of a white supremacist inside a Charleston, S.C. church -- two hours south of Darlington -- NASCAR CEO and chairman Brian France called it an "offensive symbol" and said, "we will go as far as we can to eliminate the presence of that flag."

NASCAR attempted to eradicate the flag from the speedway's grounds through a program where fans would turn in a Confederate flag and receive an American one in return. Except despite NASCAR's effort, the flag was quite conspicuous throughout the Darlington weekend. From flags to t-shirts, hats to can coolers, tattoos to pants it was impossible not to turn your head and see the symbol being displayed in some fashion.

At one flag exchange point there were no takers as of Sunday morning and a box of American flags sat untouched. Two security guards were clueless such a swap existed, while another dismissed the idea.

"No one in this crowd is going to give up their Confederate flag for an America one," the guard said. "They already own an American flag. Plus, they think by handing over the Confederate flag would be a form of surrendering in their mind."

Because either NBC didn't want to show a national television audience an event where the controversial flag was being displayed so freely, or event organizers wanted to give spotters a clearer view of the speedway (attendees say both reasons were cited by security, though neither could be confirmed as a Darlington spokesman declined comment), security personnel instructed patrons to take down their flags whenever cars were on the track.

You just answered your own question. And why does it matter that she's black? 
Gee, I dunno, I guess I might expect that it should not be surprising that an African American ex-member of Congress, with nothing to lose, would speak out in favor of Kaep's protest regarding oppression of blacks and other minorities. Wouldn't be shocked to hear Al Sharpton weigh in it too. I suspect high profile members of the African American community might have a bias towards perceived discrimination against blacks.

And actually I didn't answer might own question. You said Democrats (plural) were calling for anthem protests. I was only aware of one person, which would be one singular Democrat, not several or more Democrats as you were inferring.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys may not like it but this is winner for Trump. So now you have democrats calling for anthem protests because they hate Trump. Think about that. Trump has pushed them into a corner now where they have to disrespect our country and the troops to protest Trump. And sorry, the majority of people agree with him .
I would prefer for this not to be correct, but it pretty clearly is.

Gee, I dunno, I guess I might expect that it should not be surprising that an African American ex-member of Congress, with nothing to lose, would speak out in favor of Kaep's protest regarding oppression of blacks and other minorities. Wouldn't be shocked to hear Al Sharpton weigh in it too. I suspect high profile members of the African American community might have a bias towards perceived discrimination against blacks.
Sheesh talk about the bigotry of low expectations.

Didn't say any drivers did. However a little more background on the subject from a 2015 article, which shows NASCARs attempt to move away from the Confederate symbol, but was meeting resistance from the fans.

https://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2015/9/10/9299515/nascar-confederate-flag-darlington-south-carolina

NASCAR’s Confederate flag conundrum

[...]

And the "throwback" theme extended beyond what was happening on the track. Throughout Darlington's infield and the camping grounds surrounding the track located in a sleepy town of almost 6,300, there persisted the inescapable sight of a red flag with blue bars and white stars.

The Confederate flag and NASCAR have long been intertwined, the roots of each extending to the Deep South with some regarding both as Southern institutions. For decades the stars and bars were omnipresent at NASCAR races. Darlington's used to label its spring event the "Rebel 400," featured the flag prominently on programs and other advertisements and played "Dixie" during pre-race ceremonies.

Over the years, though, the sanctioning body has distanced itself greatly from the Confederate flag. This summer, following the shooting deaths of nine African-Americans at the hands of a white supremacist inside a Charleston, S.C. church -- two hours south of Darlington -- NASCAR CEO and chairman Brian France called it an "offensive symbol" and said, "we will go as far as we can to eliminate the presence of that flag."

NASCAR attempted to eradicate the flag from the speedway's grounds through a program where fans would turn in a Confederate flag and receive an American one in return. Except despite NASCAR's effort, the flag was quite conspicuous throughout the Darlington weekend. From flags to t-shirts, hats to can coolers, tattoos to pants it was impossible not to turn your head and see the symbol being displayed in some fashion.

At one flag exchange point there were no takers as of Sunday morning and a box of American flags sat untouched. Two security guards were clueless such a swap existed, while another dismissed the idea.

"No one in this crowd is going to give up their Confederate flag for an America one," the guard said. "They already own an American flag. Plus, they think by handing over the Confederate flag would be a form of surrendering in their mind."

Because either NBC didn't want to show a national television audience an event where the controversial flag was being displayed so freely, or event organizers wanted to give spotters a clearer view of the speedway (attendees say both reasons were cited by security, though neither could be confirmed as a Darlington spokesman declined comment), security personnel instructed patrons to take down their flags whenever cars were on the track.
The sponsors have no say in fans doing something controversial.  They are concerned about their drivers that they pay millions of dollars to for sponsorship.  Stop moving the goalposts

I would be pissed if I was an NFL owner.  Trump has put them in an unwinnable position that has no end in sight.  No matter what they do they are going to alienate a large segment of their fan base.  

The confederate flags flying everywhere in the infield? :shrug:  
Still looking for proof that their fan base consists of a significantly larger portion of bigots? Big accusation to throw out there, we saw a couple confederate flags when the camera panned to the parking lot.....FACT! I just wondered if there was more proof before making such an accusation. 

Still looking for proof that their fan base consists of a significantly larger portion of bigots? Big accusation to throw out there, we saw a couple confederate flags when the camera panned to the parking lot.....FACT! I just wondered if there was more proof before making such an accusation. 
Well that's "a couple" of more than you would see at any other sporting event.

I would be pissed if I was an NFL owner.  Trump has put them in an unwinnable position that has no end in sight.  No matter what they do they are going to alienate a large segment of their fan base.  
It's a no win, the players have them by the balls and these protests are a disfunctional mess where no one is doing the same thing for the same reason except they hate the President who is asking them to respect the country and anthem. What do you do as an owner besides hope the players are ready to move forward soon. 

They made their beds on this one. They play their games in stadiums paid for by American tax dollars and they allow their players to offend those same Americans. Trump just said what people on their couches have been saying for a year.

They made their beds on this one. The play their games in stadiums paid for by American tax dollars and they allow their players to offend those same Americans. Trump just said what people on their couches have been saying for a year.
They don't allow anything...they collectively bargained that with the NFLPA.  Too bad you don't like workers exercising their rights.

No, it just makes him look like a clown. He's the President...not some B celebrity making funny comments on late night TV. Honestly, all this talk about respect or disrespect for the military, how about the disrespect Trump shows for the position of the President of the United States? Another example is how just last week he was tweeting about the low ratings on the Emmys. 

He's a clown and it's embarrassing he's our President.

They don't allow anything...they collectively bargained that with the NFLPA.  Too bad you don't like workers exercising their rights.
Im not sure where it's written in the deal that says players can wipe their asses with the flag but if it's in there than shame on the NFL for not getting a better deal to protect their product.

I’m going to Talladega in a couple of weeks. I'll conduct a scientific poll.  :banned:

Somebody wiped their ### with the flag? The anthem is dumb. The anthem at athletic events is really dumb. And the way people attach whatever meaning they want to the actions of others and a "patriotic" song with music stolen from a Brit and words written by a pro-slave ahole...sad! People should really try to be better and stop just going along with what was there when they arrived. TWOOPS!!!!

What do you think they're doing?
I don't think they're standing up for their American rights. I find that laughable. I think they unfortunately feel like they have a platform to whine for the sake of it and are doing so. That's genuinely where I am with it.  No love and even less support from me. I'm not sure it's possible to support them less.

I don't think they're standing up for their American rights. I find that laughable. I think they unfortunately feel like they have a platform to whine for the sake of it and are doing so. That's genuinely where I am with it.  No love and even less support from me. I'm not sure it's possible to support them less.
You think that people making a statement about racial inequality is "whining"? 

Just go play the game and do what we pay you to do, right? 

Users who are viewing this thread