What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (6 Viewers)

1.Anthropomorphizing the flag is really strange.

2.  Not to put words in anybody's mouth but there are some people/groups that are not proud of our nation right now.

3. Playing the dead veteran card is cheap and easy.  Those people died not for the flag but so that we can live in a nation where we are not compelled to participate in patriotic demonstrations.

4. No idea what the breast cancer point is about.

5.  Why do you assume that none of these players take any actions besides kneeling during the anthem?  

6.  Per your last paragraph:  what changes come about when people stand for the anthem? What organizations have been created?  Something beyond "comroderie".
What changes come about from kneeling for the anthem?  I think we are finding out. And I'm not sure it's all good. 

Did you see my post on Lesean McCoy. Curious what you think about that?

Just today?

I think kaep helped to bring even more national attention to the issue he felt passionate about.

I find it rather disingenuous to try and ask about what all the protests today accomplished as far as change given they just happened.  And most today aren’t about the initial issue...they are a response to the President running his mouth.
So all this crap is just about playing politics?

Your implication was that they should keep their heads down and speak about nothing but football. My point is that they still live in our world, and can speak out about the world they live in. 
My implication was they aren't obligated to protest for your vision of humanity.

As to how they can behave at work. That's up to their employer.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not just today. All the times someone sat for the anthem. Who was helped by that? I'm interested in the results. I haven't seen any. Show me
There have been several national discussions in the issues Kaep raised...pretty much his point of doing so.

What changes come about from kneeling for the anthem?  I think we are finding out. And I'm not sure it's all good. 

Did you see my post on Lesean McCoy. Curious what you think about that?
I was replying to a point of his. If standing doesn't change things who cares if somebody kneels?

I did see the McCoy vid. Personally, I don't care what anybody does during the anthem...unless it prohibits those people who do care from participating (such as talking loudly, blocking the view). And if somebody is so focused on who is standing or kneeling or stretching that's their problem.

So to be clear, the protests during the National Anthem today was against Trump or against social injustice?
Some of both.

social injustice for those who had been doing so already...a show of support of those players and as an FU toTrump for those that joined in today.

Ah, discussions were had. I'm sure that those helped alot

My bad :bag:
What do you want them to do? Demonstrate so they can be pepper sprayed and tear gassed and shoved aside by army surplus tanks?

edit: Or shot to death because in case you didn't hear anyone who had a high profile in the Ferguson unrest has been assassinated and stuffed in cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump?  Yes...he decided to make a crapstorm and that’s what happened.
And did the players that stood in support of those that want to kneel add to this crapstorm? This is like the Trump with North Korea. I ship has sailed on our President acting Presidential, but that doesn't mean we have to stoop to his level. 

I don't know if kaepernick was right or wrong to protest, but he was definitely brave. He risked, and has apparently lost, a multi million dollar career to make a stand for an issue he believed was important. 

I have no problem with people who say it was inappropriate to choose that platform. I have no problem with people who say it was ineffective, although I think that's debatable.  I understand people saying they don't want him on their team, or that they don't want players on their team to use televised NFL games as a platform for causes they believe in.  

I do have a problem with people acting like they've always stood up and taken off their cap for the anthem and never talked to a friend or been handed a beer and set it down, because I've been to games in cities all around the country and there aren't nearly as many people respecting the flag as there are people upset about someone else disrespecting the flag.  

I do have a problem with people acting like standing for the anthem is the issue when they really mean they don't agree with the cause.  And I have a much bigger problem with people doing that and not taking time to understand what the cause is.

And while I understand that people are upset that kaep brought politics to the anthem, I think a lot of right wing folks have pushed their agendas to make it a divisive political issue too. Because I know a lot of left wing people who have a wide range of opinions about this, but it seems like most of the fervently right wing folks i know are marching in lock step on an issue which they themselves weren't that serious until it became political.  Which would be fine, if they weren't also clamoring about kaep and other players making this political.  I find that closed minded and hypocritical.

1.Anthropomorphizing the flag is really strange.

2.  Not to put words in anybody's mouth but there are some people/groups that are not proud of our nation right now.

3. Playing the dead veteran card is cheap and easy.  Those people died not for the flag but so that we can live in a nation where we are not compelled to participate in patriotic demonstrations.

4. No idea what the breast cancer point is about.

5.  Why do you assume that none of these players take any actions besides kneeling during the anthem?  

6.  Per your last paragraph:  what changes come about when people stand for the anthem? What organizations have been created?  Something beyond "comroderie".
If you don't understand the significance of a group saying I want to discredit those who gave their lives so that I can live freely in order to draw attention to myself, when there are literally hundreds of other ways to do it, then you don't get it.  

Do yourself a favor.  Go visit a wounded veterans facility, vets retirement home, or a military base and pitch this cause and educate yourself.  You might learn something about the difference between selfless sacrifice for all versus kardashian-like spotlighting for effect 

And did the players that stood in support of those that want to kneel add to this crapstorm? This is like the Trump with North Korea. I ship has sailed on our President acting Presidential, but that doesn't mean we have to stoop to his level. 
Trump backed the black men into a corner, forced a confrontation for the sake of his base.

I really hope all teams show unity and stay in the locker room while the NA plays.  It would drive ESPN and CBS crazy...

I don't know if kaepernick was right or wrong to protest, but he was definitely brave. He risked, and has apparently lost, a multi million dollar career to make a stand for an issue he believed was important. 

I have no problem with people who say it was inappropriate to choose that platform. I have no problem with people who say it was ineffective, although I think that's debatable.  I understand people saying they don't want him on their team, or that they don't want players on their team to use televised NFL games as a platform for causes they believe in.  

I do have a problem with people acting like they've always stood up and taken off their cap for the anthem and never talked to a friend or been handed a beer and set it down, because I've been to games in cities all around the country and there aren't nearly as many people respecting the flag as there are people upset about someone else disrespecting the flag.  

I do have a problem with people acting like standing for the anthem is the issue when they really mean they don't agree with the cause.  And I have a much bigger problem with people doing that and not taking time to understand what the cause is.

And while I understand that people are upset that kaep brought politics to the anthem, I think a lot of right wing folks have pushed their agendas to make it a divisive political issue too. Because I know a lot of left wing people who have a wide range of opinions about this, but it seems like most of the fervently right wing folks i know are marching in lock step on an issue which they themselves weren't that serious until it became political.  Which would be fine, if they weren't also clamoring about kaep and other players making this political.  I find that closed minded and hypocritical.
I dont think it was a coincidence that he started his protesting right after he got benched.

Is your job in a national spotlight where you can do something to maybe get a conversation going that could create some change to what you see as an injustice?

Can we stop trying to compare an NFL job to what most of the people on this board do?
No, that would be like comparing apples and wa um, lemons

Really? If your television is on you cant miss it. The camera shows all the "protestors" and then on top of that, the announcers point out who sat/knelt before kickoff
Yeah, really.  

If I'm standing for the anthem and I see somebody kneeling or wearing a hat or playing pocket pool I'm not going to let it distract me.

It's not my place to judge how others demonstrate their patriotism.  

It takes two to tango. It was immature by both sides. The winner is the one that starts acting like a grown up.
Seeing how trump is incapable of acting like an adult, let's talk about the players. What would an appropriate response on the part of the players looked like?

If you don't understand the significance of a group saying I want to discredit those who gave their lives so that I can live freely in order to draw attention to myself, when there are literally hundreds of other ways to do it, then you don't get it.  

Do yourself a favor.  Go visit a wounded veterans facility, vets retirement home, or a military base and pitch this cause and educate yourself.  You might learn something about the difference between selfless sacrifice for all versus kardashian-like spotlighting for effect 
Well said. This. 

I dont think it was a coincidence that he started his protesting right after he got benched.
It probably isn't a coincidence. That doesn't mean he didn't risk a lot.  He was a lock to make 8 figures over the rest of his career as an NFL backup, and he might never get paid to play football again. 

Users who are viewing this thread