What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (12 Viewers)

Cardinals have the "unfortunate" timing of the franchise player being Puerto Rican and playing in a city currently not safe enough to host a U2 concert.  Can't be a Trumpian symbol right now.    
Also their archrival seems to have taken the role of pro-Trump MLB team.  Cubs doubled back to the White House for a second visit after Trump's inauguration and Maddon gave this pathetic statement:

“It’s dangerous when folks in our country stop respecting the White House and the seat of the president,” Maddon told reporters at Miller Park. “It’s not a good situation.”

Wasn't it Mnuchin who said yesterday the players should do it on their own time? As if it say that when they play football, they're responsibility is to the fans and owners?
So the police can mace you. Unless you're white with an assault rifle and physically pushing cops, then you don't need to worry. 

timschochet said:
And by right, you really mean reich, ja?
Don't do that. You know better. 
Just FYI, nearly everything Riversco posts is about the impending Nazi revolution.  Anything that happens in politics (in his mind) means that the right is one step closer to winning the civil war and once they do the Nazis will have control of the country.

CBS said their ratings were up for the NFL on Sunday. 
But, but...we have been told for months that the NFL had lost viewers because of Kaep's protest. Jon_mx even gave us two nifty polls to prove it, including one from the infallible Rasmussen.

A lot of people may have just tuned in to see the protests and then stayed on to watch the games. Curious to see the ratings in the next few Sundays.

Also their archrival seems to have taken the role of pro-Trump MLB team.  Cubs doubled back to the White House for a second visit after Trump's inauguration and Maddon gave this pathetic statement:
IMO the Trump-Cubs chummy relationship is proof that Trump hates Obama more than he ever hated Hillary.  The Obamas are southsiders, White Sox territory.  Hillary grew up in the northwest suburbs, mostly Cubs fans.

IMO the Trump-Cubs chummy relationship is proof that Trump hates Obama more than he ever hated Hillary.  The Obamas are southsiders, White Sox territory.  Hillary grew up in the northwest suburbs, mostly Cubs fans.
Trump went claws out after the Ricketts family (Cubs owner) during the campaign

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-donald-trump-ricketts-cubs-0322-20160321-story.html

And added a 'Cubs not run properly' comment

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

So I wouldn't exactly call them 'chummy'

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 4h4 hours ago

An absolutely eye-catching layout from Donald Trump’s favorite newspaper, the failing NY Times:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/912290814210043904
Not related to the Schefter Tweet but something I've been thinking about: Only listing the number of players who knelt does a disservice to what we saw. All 32 teams responded. That was an incredible show of unity from the league's players.   

You've chosen to ignore content by HellToupee. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by Ramblin Wreck. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by knowledge dropper. Options 

:lmao:

Nobody cares who you're ignoring.  The fact you post this troll material shows how thin-skinned you are.  

Please don't do this

Hmmm...

Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta 2h2 hours ago

Trump adviser tells me POTUS is

"winning the cultural war... just made millionaire sport athletes his new HRC."

Hmmm...

Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta 2h2 hours ago

Trump adviser tells me POTUS is

"winning the cultural war... just made millionaire sport athletes his new HRC."
A narrative I've seen on Twitter this morning is that successful black athletes should be grateful for the "privilege" of playing professional sports and being "given" such large salaries for doing so. That still resonates with lots of sports fans (uh, not the above average intellects here at FBGs, though).

Jerry Jones feels "very strongly" players shouldn't protest anthem

Connect the dots, people...

1983 - NJ Generals draft Herschel Walker

1983 - Donald Trump buys the NJ Generals

1985 - The Dallas Cowboys draft the rights to Walker should the USFL ever fold.

1986 - The USFL, led by Trump, attempts to compete against the NFL with the hope that it would force a merger.  As part of this attempt, the USFL files an anti-trust suit against the NFL.  The USFL wins the suit but is only awarded $1.  The USFL folds and Walker signs with the Cowboys.

1989 - The 3-13 Cowboys are sold to Jerry Jones for $140 million.

1989 - The Cowboys trade Walker to the Vikings for 5 players and 6 future draft picks which are used to draft Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson, and Alvin Harper, among others.  

1992 - The Cowboys finish 13-3 and win the first of 3 Super Bowls in a 4 year span.

2017 - Cowboys are valued at $4.3 billion.

2017 - Donald Trump says that players should stand during the National Anthem.  Jerry Jones agrees.

A narrative I've seen on Twitter this morning is that successful black athletes should be grateful for the "privilege" of playing professional sports and being "given" such large salaries for doing so. That still resonates with lots of sports fans (uh, not the above average intellects here at FBGs, though).
Only through the benevolence of rich old white people are these black athletes allowed to accumulate such great wealth.

This thread is no longer about Kaepernick, his inability to be an NFL level QB anymore, and the reasons behind it, so I'll inquire about the above @Joe Bryant 

After giving the discussions from yesterday a read, the responses from both sides were sorta as expected, so these comments stood out to me and left me with a few questions, and as a frequent user of the site, I'd love to further understand. The site belongs and is owned by you guys, so the rules are what you say they are, and I feel that is more than fair. However, the moderation on this site today is as confusing (if not more) to me as it was almost a decade ago. With that being said:

1) Do you feel moderation is always level between all posters? I have no dog in any of these fights, but RBM seems no more of a troublemaker than Bruce Dickinson from all of my observations. 

2) From my standpoint, IRL, if someone called me nuts I wouldn't care all that much, but if someone said that they would nail my wife while I sat and watched in the corner, strong chance we're throwing fists. These two comments are on different levels, but based on the above, it looks like the wife comment got a 24 hour timeout from you (I've gotten much worse for far less, in my humble opinion of course). Do you feel these comments were equally wrong? I quoted BeaverCleaver bc I actually remember this poster telling another owner of the site he was an ####### and to go F himself, so I'm shocked someone like that has any leeway at all.  

3) Is there any favoritism given to specific posters? Similar to my first question.

4) Is there a set guideline to what someone will get for certain comments or is just based on the moderator, his mood that day, and his feeling towards a certain poster?  

If you would like, please feel free to move this to the moderation thread. And again, it is your site, so your rules are what they are and I think that is more than fair, I'd just love an explanation on this.

Thanks!
Curious to hear the answers from @Joe Bryant on this one too

Not sure if anyone posted this yet..

"The irony of President Trump's tweet is not lost when you consider a tweet from businessman Trump four years ago. At the time, he was blasting then-President Obama who said he'd change the name of the Washington Redskins if he were the team's owner because the name is offensive to some Native Americans:

"President should not be telling the Washington Redskins to change their name-our country has far bigger problems! FOCUS on them,not nonsense," Trump tweeted on October 8, 2013"

Fun Fact:

NFL Teams Didn’t Stand For The National Anthem Until 2009

http://dailysnark.com/nfl-teams-didnt-stand-national-anthem-2009/

No NFL player stood for the national anthem until 2009—before then, the players stayed in the locker room as the anthem played. NFL teams got patriotic in recent years because it was good for business. A 2015 congressional report revealed that the Department of Defense had paid $5.4 million to NFL teams between 2011 and 2014 to stage on-field patriotic ceremonies; the National Guard shelled out $6.7 million for similar displays between 2013 and 2015.
Very interesting.  

There is a very good corollary between this and entitlement programs - once they're in place they're wicked hard to stop and quickly become the norm.  (See: ACA)

"The irony of President Trump's tweet is not lost when you consider a tweet from businessman Trump four years ago. At the time, he was blasting then-President Obama who said he'd change the name of the Washington Redskins if he were the team's owner because the name is offensive to some Native Americans:

"President should not be telling the Washington Redskins to change their name-our country has far bigger problems! FOCUS on them,not nonsense," Trump tweeted on October 8, 2013"
There's always a Tweet.

Always. 

Trump went claws out after the Ricketts family (Cubs owner) during the campaign

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-donald-trump-ricketts-cubs-0322-20160321-story.html

And added a 'Cubs not run properly' comment

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

So I wouldn't exactly call them 'chummy'
That was the primary campaign.  They were buddy/buddy in the general. Ricketts donated $1 million, met with Trump during the transition and like I said had his team double back to the White House for a second visit after Trump took office.

LeBron James took a few minutes today to address the press and cut a promo on Trump.  Worth catching the video or transcript when published.  General theme is the President works for the people, not the other way around, and we can't let the President be a person who divides us.

The guy doesn't know what came out of his mouth yesterday. Pure entertainment.

Boycott The NFLLike Page

26 mins · 

We salute captain Alejandro Villanueva for his unquestionably Patriotic service to this country, and we respect his decision to stand for the national anthem. Just as it is our freedom to kneel to raise awareness for racial injustice, it is his freedom as an American to stand.

But while conservatives spent all of yesterday weaponizing his picture to undermine players who decided to #TakeAKnee, what they will NEVER mention is that Villanueva supports everything that Colin Kaepernick fights for:

"I will be the first one to hold hands with Colin Kaepernick and do something about the way minorities are being treated in the United States, the injustice that is happening with police brutality, the justice system, inequalities in pay."

Not a single kneeler yesterday used their protest to disrespect veterans, but please, continue to try to pit us against each other, you "sons of #####es."

The more you know. ✊?

#TakeAKnee #BoycottNFL

Boycott The NFLLike Page

26 mins · 

We salute captain Alejandro Villanueva for his unquestionably Patriotic service to this country, and we respect his decision to stand for the national anthem. Just as it is our freedom to kneel to raise awareness for racial injustice, it is his freedom as an American to stand.

But while conservatives spent all of yesterday weaponizing his picture to undermine players who decided to #TakeAKnee, what they will NEVER mention is that Villanueva supports everything that Colin Kaepernick fights for:

"I will be the first one to hold hands with Colin Kaepernick and do something about the way minorities are being treated in the United States, the injustice that is happening with police brutality, the justice system, inequalities in pay."

Not a single kneeler yesterday used their protest to disrespect veterans, but please, continue to try to pit us against each other, you "sons of #####es."

The more you know. ✊?

#TakeAKnee #BoycottNFL
It's incredible how there are so many Republicans/Trump supporters who believe things that are so easily proven to be wrong.

Patrick Hruby and others have interesting data on how racial perspectives affect the college "amateurism" issue as well.
Happy to hear Hruby and co. have formally researched the topic.  Sadly unsurprised by the results.

I live a short drive from Lawrence, KS.  It is, umm, "frustrating" to hear the alumni and boosters praise the financial health of the athletic department out one side of the mouth and grumble about how ungrateful the revenue sport athletes are that they get a full scholarship, free housing, free meals, free clothes, yet feel entitled to extra money.

Another sweeping generalization.

Then again, only a quarter of US citizens can name the three branches of government, so anything is possible.
Don't know how sweeping it is. After all, these are the same people who voted for and support a pathological liar. Safe to say if they believe the easily proven lies he spouts forth on a daily basis they are believing plenty of other blatant lies as well.  

Happy to hear Hruby and co. have formally researched the topic.  Sadly unsurprised by the results.

I live a short drive from Lawrence, KS.  It is, umm, "frustrating" to hear the alumni and boosters praise the financial health of the athletic department out one side of the mouth and grumble about how ungrateful the revenue sport athletes are that they get a full scholarship, free housing, free meals, free clothes, yet feel entitled to extra money.
Poll results vary substantially by race. White respondents favored the retention of amateurism at a level 15-20 points higher than black respondents.

Users who are viewing this thread