What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (7 Viewers)

It's interesting when you look at our President's tweets this morning and see the percentage of likes to anything else.  You have to be blind or in a complete echo chamber to not comprehend the fact he is saying what many Americans feel right now.  
Yes because counting Twitter likes is super scientific. None of those likes could've come from phony accounts.

Gotta love the conservatrolls who blast players for making a "spectacle" of themselves for kneeling and at the same time criticize them for not doing more.
Please don't call the "other" side trolls without a specific quote to support what you're saying. Thanks. 

It's interesting when you look at our President's tweets this morning and see the percentage of likes to anything else.  You have to be blind or in a complete echo chamber to not comprehend the fact he is saying what many Americans feel right now.  
Is anyone denying that a lot of Americans agree with the stuff Trump says?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't call the "other" side trolls without a specific quote to support what you're saying. Thanks. 
Right because the likes of Sean Hannity and Tomi Lahren were speaking out with real concern about inner city violence before it became a useful cudgel for them .

Right because the likes of Sean Hannity and Tomi Lahren were speaking out with real concern about inner city violence before it became a useful cudgel for them .
Correct. A quote with why you disagree or what your point is will always be better than the generic "troll" used here. Thanks.

Hillary lost get over it.   I'm sure you are following her every breath on her whirlwind book tour. 
I don't think anyone cares about Hilary anymore.  She was a terrible candidate just like Trump and I have a feel most of her votes came from people who refused to vote for Trump.  Just like a lot of Trumps votes came from people who refused to vote for Hilary.  What a freaking mess.

hi, i'm new to sports

trying to decide on an NFL team to follow.  but if there's one thing i cannot stand it's disrepect. i don't allow it in my office, in my personal relationship and especially not at home. if my children aren't properly respectful to me in a way that i deem sufficient you better believe they pay the price. i demand respect and i get it. if my wife doesn't show me the proper respect in the form of having a hot meal on my table when i get home from the office.. you better believe i make her understand the consequences of not showing me the proper respect.

given the clearly disrespectful displays of not properly respecting America in the way that America deserves respect, you can see how difficult it is for me to pick a respectful team that respects America in the way that i respect all things that respect me.

i assume all you fans chose your NFL team based on the level of respect they show to your community, each other but especially to America. 

what i'm troubled by is the news that NFL teams only started standing on the field during the national anthem in 2009. clearly they did not respect the flag, America and all that she stands for prior to 2009 but i know the league has been around longer than that (right???).

how could so many fans make a decision on which teams to follow when it was not possible to gauge the levels of respect shown to old glory by the players on the field? for all you knew, 2 or 3 guys may actually respect the Chinese flag more since prior to 2009 we had no way to publicly know who respects respect enough to stand on public display for the national anthem. that's just a dangerous slippery slope that i can't respect.

for all i know maybe 10 - 12 guys didn't respect the flag before then but at least they respected America enough to understand that they had better stand for the flag before a sporting event after 2009.

when i'm coming back from showing my family who's the boss in this house, and my wife is rubbing my feet while i eat a hot meal at noon, i expect that the 53 players on my favorite team and all the coaches show an understanding that they should smile and act polite when they are told to. that's the least they can do so that i feel better about cheering for them.

hell, they don't even really have to respect the flag. but they damn well better stand there and show the rest of the world that they do or when we get home by god there is going to be hell to pay. they'll learn to show respect one way or another if it kills me.

so, what i'm asking is, how can i choose the right team if some of the players, coaches and staff were with the organization prior to 2009 when i can't be sure that they showed proper respect to America, publicly, before then? i couldn't live with myself if i rooted for someone that embarrassed me in public like that.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  57s57 seconds ago

More

The NFL has all sorts of rules and regulations. The only way out for them is to set a rule that you can't kneel during our National Anthem!

The only way out of what? Your twitter crosshairs?

Anything to deflect from yet another healthcare failure I guess!

Don't tell the out of touch posters here that.  They think this is a 50/50 issue when its really 70/30.  

As someone who does not agree with the kneeling,   I feel like the Cowboys did it well and "properly"   :shrug:
Does it make any difference to you that kneeling began specifically because a Green Beret and Kaepernick discussed it together and settled on that as a respectful way to say what he wanted to say?

it is pretty sad to me that we have a horrible tragedy in the pacific right now a failure again at healthcare a president who is about to have his guy lose in south carolina family members of the president conducting official business on private emails and a very real showdown going on with north korea just to name a few things happening right now and the one thing that our president cares about is players kneeling to protest inequality towards minorities after he called white supremecists and nazi supporters very fine people brohans i think that speaks volumes about what donald trump is and stands for and what it says is nothing good take that to the bank bromigos 

Does it make any difference to you that kneeling began specifically because a Green Beret and Kaepernick discussed it together and settled on that as a respectful way to say what he wanted to say?
I think most people that hate it have already made up their minds.  Apparently symbols are very, very important.

So we'll see if time has run out to avoid civil unrest.  Trump hit the left with haymaker on sunday.  Trumps goal seems to be to mold the white middle class into a fighting militia.   We get one or two incidents where fans come down on the field and theres an encounter between them and the players.  If the players physically tackle the fans, all hell will break loose and there will be a riot.  The next weekend they either try to beef up security or cancel games.  But at that point the militia movement will have grown substantially. 

The other question is:  how do you beef up security when the ststed goal offthe protests is to criticize cops.  The cops might join in and beat up the players. 

Will be interesting to see if protests slow after this weekend. This weekend should have accomplished the ultimate goal people claim they are looking for of " bringing attention to the issue". There won't be more attention on it than this past weekend. I think the longer it carries in with protests during the anthem instead of moving forward with working to a solution it will just get uglier and uglier for the NFL. If it carries on with varying protests up until the proposed Veterans Day weekend boycott this is going to be ugly. 

You can say that the majority of American states voted for the current President, but not the majority of Americans.  
I can comfortably say on 11/8/16 a majority of the people that own property, buy things, build things and invest in things that voted were overwhelmingly in support of Trump. 

Don't tell the out of touch posters here that.  They think this is a 50/50 issue when its really 70/30.  
Can you link to any poster claiming this is a 50/50 issue?

We're arguing right and wrong, not popular and unpopular. Civil rights marches and sit-ins were unpopular in the early 1960s, and by the end of the decade the numbers were flipped (link). Gay pride parades and calls for legalizing gay marriage were unpopular as recently as ten years ago, and obviously attitudes about the LGBT community have also changed a lot (link). 

Progressives always win in the end. It's right there in the name. And they almost always do so by forcing their way into the national conversation in ways that many people initially don't think is appropriate or helpful.

I honestly don't know how the American public views these respectful protests about law enforcement discrimination and Trump's divisiveness today. Maybe you're right and it's 70/30 against them.  But I'm pretty sure that at some point the people who oppose them are gonna be in pretty much the same position that the people who opposed the civil rights movement and the gay rights movement are in now.

I can comfortably say on 11/8/16 a majority of the people that own property, buy things, build things and invest in things that voted were overwhelmingly in support of Trump. 
I'm curious how they all feel about their decision now?  I honestly don't know.  Are they happy or disappointed?  Are they no longer supporting him or are they going down with the ship?

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  57s57 seconds ago

More

The NFL has all sorts of rules and regulations. The only way out for them is to set a rule that you can't kneel during our National Anthem!

The only way out of what? Your twitter crosshairs?

Anything to deflect from yet another healthcare failure I guess!
Healthcare Week and Infrastructure Week were a bit of a disaster, but he's really learned his lesson for Kneeling Week. On message AF.

So we'll see if time has run out to avoid civil unrest.  Trump hit the left with haymaker on sunday.  Trumps goal seems to be to mold the white middle class into a fighting militia.   We get one or two incidents where fans come down on the field and theres an encounter between them and the players.  If the players physically tackle the fans, all hell will break loose and there will be a riot.  The next weekend they either try to beef up security or cancel games.  But at that point the militia movement will have grown substantially. 

The other question is:  how do you beef up security when the ststed goal offthe protests is to criticize cops.  The cops might join in and beat up the players. 
Hey, you forgot the mention the nazis winning and the civil war.

Is that because of @Joe Bryant saying he didn't want any nazi shtick here?

I'm curious how they all feel about their decision now?  I honestly don't know.  Are they happy or disappointed?  Are they no longer supporting him or are they going down with the ship?
Everyone I know would still vote Trump over Hillary without hesitation.  Look at how she handled losing.  Ran worst campaign in recent history and blamed everyone else.  Zero leadership skills.  

The stated goal is... PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME, OR MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY!

Will be interesting to see if protests slow after this weekend. This weekend should have accomplished the ultimate goal people claim they are looking for of " bringing attention to the issue". There won't be more attention on it than this past weekend. I think the longer it carries in with protests during the anthem instead of moving forward with working to a solution it will just get uglier and uglier for the NFL. If it carries on with varying protests up until the proposed Veterans Day weekend boycott this is going to be ugly. 
People don't think the "protests" are because of what Donald Trump said? They should have ignored him apparently if people want the protests to slow. How about the president stops wasting his time on what the NFL is doing for crying out loud. Or maybe he can give his ginned up take on the National League playoffs next?

Everyone I know would still vote Trump over Hillary without hesitation.  Look at how she handled losing.  Ran worst campaign in recent history and blamed everyone else.  Zero leadership skills.  
I'm actually fine with her not being President and I have no idea if she would be doing better than Trump.  I feel she would be though as she is much more experienced that him but it doesn't matter anymore.  I'm not sure you want to use leadership skills as a comparison since comparing zero to zero doesn't do any good.

Users who are viewing this thread