What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (5 Viewers)

Not sure why they are so conservative with him. If they wanted to be conservative they should've kept Alex smith in there.
In the 'right' scenario, SF can afford to be conservative all game. If they are forced to lean on the pass, Kaepernick has a higher upside. That's why you won't see a lot of pass attempts but it's also why the switch was made. That's a crude and simple summary but relatively accurate.
They use the threat of the run more than the threat of the pass with either QB.

Not sure why they are so conservative with him. If they wanted to be conservative they should've kept Alex smith in there.
In the 'right' scenario, SF can afford to be conservative all game. If they are forced to lean on the pass, Kaepernick has a higher upside. That's why you won't see a lot of pass attempts but it's also why the switch was made. That's a crude and simple summary but relatively accurate.
They went deep a few times. Randy dropped a perfectly thrown flea flicker in the end zone. Wasn't exactly a conservative call.

They went deep a few times. Randy dropped a perfectly thrown flea flicker in the end zone. Wasn't exactly a conservative call.
Randy was held on that play. Defender was pulling on his right arm and Moss still almost came down with the ball.

Smith's pass attempts under Harbaugh usually are around 25 per game. There are spikes in attempts in certain games where the run game is sputtering or they were behind (Kaep last game against STL went over 30), and the difference of the offense relies upon how they can disguise the run in certain sets with Kaep being a threat of the run. Kaep is still adjusting to the short ball game in the pass, and he throws a bit hard on short passes. They key difference is that Kaep can throw deep and accurate on the run, and in the pocket, and can slide around and make tough throws because of his strength. This game wasn't as conservative as it looks on the basic stat line. It isn't that conservative with Smith in it, it's just that Smith plays a conservative ball game. But they still keep the attempts under or around 25 when they have a lead. The big reason why is that they have a creative run game that again uses the threat of the run more than the threat of the pass. That's what is accurate.

Randy was held on that play. Defender was pulling on his right arm and Moss still almost came down with the ball.
Still wasn't a conservative play call, and neither is a read option.

So against the 20th ranked defense...

- the 49ers couldn't really move the ball and scored their first TD on a special teams gift from Miami.

- the 49ers converted only 20% of their third down plays

- Kaep was sacked 4 times.

...this type of QB play sounds familiar. I know, they won and I should be happy (I am), but still waiting for that break out game to match the hype.

'butcher boy said:
So against the 20th ranked defense...- the 49ers couldn't really move the ball and scored their first TD on a special teams gift from Miami.- the 49ers converted only 20% of their third down plays- Kaep was sacked 4 times....this type of QB play sounds familiar. I know, they won and I should be happy (I am), but still waiting for that break out game to match the hype.
Aside from the rushing touchdown, this wasn't terribly different from an Alex Smith performance. But you can't dismiss the rushing touchdown. Alex has some mobility but nothing like Kaepernick.

Kaep today - 18-23 for 185 yards passing, 6-53 yards rushing, 1 td rushing, 0-tds passing, 0-ints. Out of the 321 net yards of offense, Kaep was responsible for 238 of them with his arm and legs. He was second in rushing yards to Gore who had 63.
Waiting patiently to see how hornet can spin this to a negative.
What do you want me to say? Kaep did enough to not lose. He played OK. Do you think he played well? They beat Miami and he couldn't move the offense at all. He completed 2 of 10 third downs which is pathetic. Yep, he had a nice completion percentage and had a great late TD off of the read option. Sure it provided some excitement but they only needed a few yards to essentially end the game. The difference is negligible in real life. He didnt complete a pass over probably 15 yards which explains his fantastic completion %. I'm not complaining here, just stating the facts. All in all, they won and that's cool. The next two games will show what the Niners are really made of. If they can keep up with the Pats offense, then that will be a great sign.

So are we starting with him with confidence this week after what the Pats did to Houston???
Sitting him. Starting Palmer.I started Schaub last week at NE in another league where I only needed 11 pts to make the playoffs. He got me 8 as he sat the 4th qtr. I don't know if SF is going to wave the white flag, but the risk is there. Houston was a strong defense too, like SF, but playing in New England in December is like running into a buzzsaw.

So are we starting with him with confidence this week after what the Pats did to Houston???
Sitting him. Starting Palmer.I started Schaub last week at NE in another league where I only needed 11 pts to make the playoffs. He got me 8 as he sat the 4th qtr. I don't know if SF is going to wave the white flag, but the risk is there. Houston was a strong defense too, like SF, but playing in New England in December is like running into a buzzsaw.
I was planning on riding CK this week until I saw the Houston NE game... now I'm very unsure. I have Big Ben as my only other option.

So against the 20th ranked defense...- the 49ers couldn't really move the ball and scored their first TD on a special teams gift from Miami.- the 49ers converted only 20% of their third down plays- Kaep was sacked 4 times....this type of QB play sounds familiar. I know, they won and I should be happy (I am), but still waiting for that break out game to match the hype.
Aside from the rushing touchdown, this wasn't terribly different from an Alex Smith performance. But you can't dismiss the rushing touchdown. Alex has some mobility but nothing like Kaepernick.
simple :thumbup: will suffice

What everyone needs to remember is, Kaep looked like a very talented "project" coming into the NFL. The knock on him was his passing mechanics, accuracy, footwork, etc......IMO, Kaep has been pretty dang impressive with his passing. He's got the arm strength and now, seemingly, the accuracy to make any throw. He will have bumps in the road for sure, but I see him being very successfull in SF. His FF value may be slightly limited due to a strong running game and stout D. But then again, he's gonna get you some rushing yards and TDs.

So everyone thinks that Kaep will be able to keep his composure vs this much improved BB defense? They have only let 1 team get above 20 points in the last 4 games, and that includes the Texans. Andre Johnson could not do any damage against them, and I don't know that SF has a WR of that caliber. Arian Foster looked average against them, AT BEST.

So, I am just curious if this is not another disaster waiting to happen. Kind of like against the Rams

So everyone thinks that Kaep will be able to keep his composure vs this much improved BB defense? They have only let 1 team get above 20 points in the last 4 games, and that includes the Texans. Andre Johnson could not do any damage against them, and I don't know that SF has a WR of that caliber. Arian Foster looked average against them, AT BEST. So, I am just curious if this is not another disaster waiting to happen. Kind of like against the Rams
Foster has looked pretty average most of the year. He's just scored alot of td's to keep up his fantasy value. I am worried because it seems like the 49ers haven't changed the play calling, to me it looks like they are using the same game plan as with Smith. Of course, if Moss catches that perfectly thrown pass, his game would have been much better. I'm now trying to decide between Kaepernick and Wilson, so the last few games have changed my mind about him.

How is Kaepernick getting sacked all of a sudden? He was moon-walking away from free-rushing Saints defenders. :confused:

Are teams now playing him differently? Or is just the effect of studs like Chris Long and Cameron Wake? The Rams and Dolphins (both top 5 in sacks) have much better pass-rushing lines than the Saints, granted.

With Jones back in the Lineup, probably full time this week, or closer to it, it can only help the Pats rush. If they get up on the 9ers early, then watch out

How is Kaepernick getting sacked all of a sudden? He was moon-walking away from free-rushing Saints defenders. :confused:Are teams now playing him differently? Or is just the effect of studs like Chris Long and Cameron Wake? The Rams and Dolphins (both top 5 in sacks) have much better pass-rushing lines than the Saints, granted.
It's worrisome since avoiding sacks was supposed to be one of the things he did better than Smith. He also hasn't resurrected VDs season which was something that was supposed to happen. Honestly, I think defenses are catching on and adjusting after his two good games earlier in the season. Exact situation I was worried about when the switch was made. As it is now, Kaep is basically Alex Smith with the ability to get a long run on occasion and a greater chance of making mistakes.

How is Kaepernick getting sacked all of a sudden? He was moon-walking away from free-rushing Saints defenders. :confused:

Are teams now playing him differently? Or is just the effect of studs like Chris Long and Cameron Wake? The Rams and Dolphins (both top 5 in sacks) have much better pass-rushing lines than the Saints, granted.
It's worrisome since avoiding sacks was supposed to be one of the things he did better than Smith. He also hasn't resurrected VDs season which was something that was supposed to happen. Honestly, I think defenses are catching on and adjusting after his two good games earlier in the season. Exact situation I was worried about when the switch was made. As it is now, Kaep is basically Alex Smith with the ability to get a long run on occasion and a greater chance of making mistakes.
This is so wrong on so many levels that it's great that you have the ignorance to post it. God Bless America.

How is Kaepernick getting sacked all of a sudden? He was moon-walking away from free-rushing Saints defenders. :confused:Are teams now playing him differently? Or is just the effect of studs like Chris Long and Cameron Wake? The Rams and Dolphins (both top 5 in sacks) have much better pass-rushing lines than the Saints, granted.
Kaep in his dropbacks takes more time to go through his progressions and reads because he is looking for deeper throws. The defenses have been taking those away, but with James back there and more possible bubble screens for Crabs, they can loosen the defenses up. The 49ers are adjusting for the injured offensive players that would make Alex Smith struggle, and he was struggling enough at times with them healthy. Kaep also checks the line more than Smith, and does more pre-snap read stuff. The 49ers aren't used to holding blocks longer because Smith would dump off or give up on a deeper play faster and take the sack. They aren't used to a QB who goes through all his progressions.

- the 49ers couldn't really move the ball and scored their first TD on a special teams gift from Miami.

...this type of QB play sounds familiar. I know, they won and I should be happy (I am), but still waiting for that break out game to match the hype.
What everyone needs to remember is, Kaep looked like a very talented "project" coming into the NFL. The knock on him was his passing mechanics, accuracy, footwork, etc......IMO, Kaep has been pretty dang impressive with his passing. He's got the arm strength and now, seemingly, the accuracy to make any throw. He will have bumps in the road for sure, but I see him being very successfull in SF. His FF value may be slightly limited due to a strong running game and stout D. But then again, he's gonna get you some rushing yards and TDs.
:goodposting: Count me as a guy who thought he would be ready in Year 4 of his career. Of course this offense is QB friendly, but he is adding a dimension to it with his natural talent.

You and butcher boy speak the same language. God Bless America once more.

Colin completed 18 of 23 passes. 185 yards. Zero touchdowns, zero interceptions. 8.04 ypa. Now let's go with the last full game Alex played before getting hurt and losing his job:

18 of 19 passes. 232 yards. 12.2 ypa. 3 touchdowns, zero interceptions.

HALLELUJAH!!1!!!!

Colin completed 18 of 23 passes. 185 yards. Zero touchdowns, zero interceptions. 8.04 ypa. Now let's go with the last full game Alex played before getting hurt and losing his job:

HALLELUJAH!!1!!!!
How about his games against NYG, NYJ, MIN, and last season, etc? They even tried to make a lateral into a forward pass in that game.... and Smith is still BENCHED.

Go back to starting your Alex Smith Bandwagon thread, since you crapped the bed in this LOOK AT ME, I'M A 49ER FAN thread who still knows nothing about the QBs on said team he doesn't root for.

ETA: AZ just got 58 points scored against them last weekend. With Russell Wilson posting a classic Smith stat line.

Dare I :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: at your post? Of course I will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now let's go with the last full game Alex played before getting hurt and losing his job:18 of 19 passes. 232 yards. 12.2 ypa. 3 touchdowns, zero interceptions.
Not in this debate but to be fair Smith completed several short passes that went for big gains vs Zona. Tons of check down throws.I dont have a horse in this race but I was pretty surprised Harbaugh benched Alex. Guess if it works he's a "genius" like many have already crowned him as but if it doesnt.. :scared:

I am just going to assume that BB's football wisdom, and Tom Brady's experience are going to render Kaep a little bit ordinary. I can see the Pats getting a lead, and then pinning their ears back to get after the QB. They have been covering very well in the 2ndary, and those linebackers have been above average.

When Tom Brady has been preparing for a month to play my team, then I might get a little nervous. You know BB will have this team ready for these guys, and their predictable system

This is so wrong on so many levels that it's great that you have the ignorance to post it. God Bless America.
And you make such a compelling counter-argument!!! At least it took as many as 16 pages before you resort to personal attacks.

I am just going to assume that BB's football wisdom, and Tom Brady's experience are going to render Kaep a little bit ordinary. I can see the Pats getting a lead, and then pinning their ears back to get after the QB. They have been covering very well in the 2ndary, and those linebackers have been above average.
San Francisco's strength is their running game. Everyone gushes about how the hoodygenius takes away his opponents strength. That would lead me to believe Belichick is going to try and shut down the run and make the young QB beat them. It's up to Kaepernick to find the open man.Talking heads and gurus are all on Belichick's Jock right now. "It's that time of year and the Pats are now the best team in the NFL." Everyone is going ape nuts about the Pats' dominant performance against Houston. Personally, I still think Houston is soft and NE has had issues against smash mouth teams in the past. San Francisco is going to give Tom Terrific all he can handle, and then some. I think this is a close game and don't expect NE to pass down the field and score at will like they did against Houston.I think Kaepernick has a good night against NE, similar to Chicago.

Kap vs NE this week on the road will be the litmus test.
I agree, but I see the Pats as so far and away the best team in the NFL right now, that even an average-decent performance will tell me a lot. The Rams were the first team to really challenge Kaep with a gameplan specifically tailored for him, and he did not play well. I expect the Pats to do the same sort of thing only better.

His first reads are no longer open? I'm not too worried about the regression (it was expected). Now we get to see how he is able to rebound and adjust his game through what is obviously better prepared opponents from having more tape to study.I just hope to goodness that Vic Fangio dials up the heat on Sunday night, instead of selling out for the pass and rushing only 3. Brady will eat SF up alive if they stick with that gameplan.

San Francisco's strength is their running game. Everyone gushes about how the hoodygenius takes away his opponents strength. That would lead me to believe Belichick is going to try and shut down the run and make the young QB beat them. It's up to Kaepernick to find the open man.Talking heads and gurus are all on Belichick's Jock right now. "It's that time of year and the Pats are now the best team in the NFL." Everyone is going ape nuts about the Pats' dominant performance against Houston. Personally, I still think Houston is soft and NE has had issues against smash mouth teams in the past. San Francisco is going to give Tom Terrific all he can handle, and then some. I think this is a close game and don't expect NE to pass down the field and score at will like they did against Houston.I think Kaepernick has a good night against NE, similar to Chicago.
I don't expect downfield passing again. I expect for Welker and Hernandez, possibly woodhead or Vereen to be the focus. The fact remains that the NE defense is not the same now. They have shuffled things around until I think they have found the right mix

His first reads are no longer open? I'm not too worried about the regression (it was expected). Now we get to see how he is able to rebound and adjust his game through what is obviously better prepared opponents from having more tape to study.I just hope to goodness that Vic Fangio dials up the heat on Sunday night, instead of selling out for the pass and rushing only 3. Brady will eat SF up alive if they stick with that gameplan.
Brady kills the blitz. SF absolutely has to continue getting pressure with 4 guys. It's worked against the saints twice, NYG twice (last year), GB and DET (SF stayed in nickel the entire time during these games). If SF has to start blitzing they will be in big trouble.

I don't expect downfield passing again. I expect for Welker and Hernandez, possibly woodhead or Vereen to be the focus. The fact remains that the NE defense is not the same now. They have shuffled things around until I think they have found the right mix
I think the dink and dunk approach is exactly what NE will do. I'm guessing that BB is slightly concerned about what Aldon Smith could do to Tom Terrific if given the time.

Count me in the all in category.

SF did a great job completely taking Graham out of the NO/SF game with their elite LB corp. If Gronk was healthy, would be a different story but I think SF will take Hernandez out of the equation. I know the two have different skill sets and catch the ball differently. Definitely don't see runaway potential from NE side.

Brady kills the blitz. SF absolutely has to continue getting pressure with 4 guys. It's worked against the saints twice, NYG twice (last year), GB and DET (SF stayed in nickel the entire time during these games). If SF has to start blitzing they will be in big trouble.
Good point. The key to this game will be the Smith Brothers. If they neutralize them all day, then it's going to be a long cold night.

I was planning on riding CK this week until I saw the Houston NE game... now I'm very unsure. I have Big Ben as my only other option.
I've got CK and Big Ben as well. Starting Ben.

'drummer said:
'Dr. Awesome said:
'drummer said:

HALLELUJAH!!1!!!!
How about his games against NYG, NYJ, MIN, and last season, etc? They even tried to make a lateral into a forward pass in that game.... and Smith is still BENCHED.

Go back to starting your Alex Smith Bandwagon thread, since you crapped the bed in this LOOK AT ME, I'M A 49ER FAN thread who still knows nothing about the QBs on said team he doesn't root for.

ETA: AZ just got 58 points scored against them last weekend. With Russell Wilson posting a classic Smith stat line.

Dare I :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: at your post? Of course I will.
In your haste to ignore a point and attack a poster, you somehow missed the fact butcher boy was talking about one game. And one game only. Kaepernick has more upside. He's come to a similar point faster. Smith has had bad games. Colin can scramble. Yadda yadda yadda. Doesn't change the fact he was talking about that one game, so bringing up other games is asinine. Which of course is something we've all come to expect from you. Keep up the quality work, buddy.

'lsutigers said:
Count me in the all in category.SF did a great job completely taking Graham out of the NO/SF game with their elite LB corp. If Gronk was healthy, would be a different story but I think SF will take Hernandez out of the equation. I know the two have different skill sets and catch the ball differently. Definitely don't see runaway potential from NE side.
If Graham lined up in as many different places as Hernandez, then I might buy this, but Hernandez is all over the place. I would tend to think that they move him around more than the Saints do Graham

'lsutigers said:
Count me in the all in category.SF did a great job completely taking Graham out of the NO/SF game with their elite LB corp. If Gronk was healthy, would be a different story but I think SF will take Hernandez out of the equation. I know the two have different skill sets and catch the ball differently. Definitely don't see runaway potential from NE side.
If Graham lined up in as many different places as Hernandez, then I might buy this, but Hernandez is all over the place. I would tend to think that they move him around more than the Saints do Graham
It's more about the matchup against the linebackers. Willis and bowman are fast enough to keep up with some of these speedier pass catching tight ends. I think it's more likely that welker goes nuts, SF has problems with that type of slot WR.

I think Kap will have a decent game this week, but NE has been playing so good I dont think its very likely for him to have a 25+ pt fantasy day.

Im rolling with Russell Wilson vs BUF in 1 league and Romo vs PIT in the other. If PIT was healthy Id probably go with Kap, but Romo has been prety damn good for the last month plus and Ike Taylor and Woodley are both out, and their 2nd and 3rd CBs are both banged up and questionable.

ETA: Also sitting Vernon for the 1st time all year in a league where I can start 2 TE's. Despite Myers last game, I still have a lot more confidence in him while also considering VD's matchup.

I think Kap will have a decent game this week, but NE has been playing so good I dont think its very likely for him to have a 25+ pt fantasy day.Im rolling with Russell Wilson vs BUF in 1 league and Romo vs PIT in the other. If PIT was healthy Id probably go with Kap, but Romo has been prety damn good for the last month plus and Ike Taylor and Woodley are both out, and their 2nd and 3rd CBs are both banged up and questionable.ETA: Also sitting Vernon for the 1st time all year in a league where I can start 2 TE's. Despite Myers last game, I still have a lot more confidence in him while also considering VD's matchup.
New England D is one of the worst in the league against TEs, by any measure. If you're ever going to start Davis, now's the time.

Users who are viewing this thread