What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (7 Viewers)

Really? 

A) The first 50 or so pages before this was moved into a politics forum were mainly those of us arguing the talents of the guy in the title. 

B) The last 25 pages have been the same right/left posters (who argue the current hot topic) arguing about who knows what.

Excellent work :thumbup:
The point is, we're talking about it. Along with the rest of the country.

Which is the exact purpose of the protest. To raise awareness.

black/white relations worse off than in 10 years - Maybe.  Or maybe both sides are better at speaking up now.  Good thing.

citizens of the US vs illegals - worse off - It was Trump, not Obama, based his campaign on dividing citizens and illegals.  If anything Obama "improved" things by quietly deporting more people than any other president

rich vs poor - worse off - This divide has been steadily growing for far-longer than 10 years

southern confederate states vs the world - worse off - This wasn't even a known issue pre-Trump

athletes vs fans - worse off - What?

Christians vs muslims - worse off - I think there was something that happened in 2001 that set this one going

gays vs straight - worse off - Are you serious with this one?  I don't credit Obama for it, but gay/straight relations are much better now than they've ever been.

civilians vs police officers - Yes, Obama helped make this relationship worse, by empowering the public to speak up.  That's a good thing

I can't think of anything that's happened in a decade that we can say hey - yeah, we're all closer now in that areas/group. Can anyone? We are a nation divided. 

call it like it is ..... Trump was horrible but the 8 years of Obama this country got worse and worse for racial tensions
I can't do that because I honestly don't believe that.  You can call it that if you want, whether you truly believe it or it just makes you feel better.

Really? 

A) The first 50 or so pages before this was moved into a politics forum were mainly those of us arguing the talents of the guy in the title. 

B) The last 25 pages have been the same right/left posters (who argue the current hot topic) arguing about who knows what.

Excellent work :thumbup:
Are you on FB at all? Or do you consume media of any kind? This is getting a huge amount of exposure, which is pretty much the entire goal of the protesters.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of these relationships are adversarial, or at least they shouldn't be.

Also I think you're wrong on almost all of them, but to pick one obvious one: if you think we haven't made substantial progress on gay rights in the last ten years I'm not even sure what to tell you.
Taking that one step further - those who are the angriest with homosexuals are the people who think they now have too many rights. 

You're smarter than this. This protest isn't accomplishing anything except furthering the divide. The discussion has become about standing for the anthem, the flag, and being a patriot (all of which is useless). 

The accomplishments here are absolutely zero, but carry on.
There's a national discussion as a result of these protests. The President of the U.S. has had to come out and make a statement about it (for better or worse). That's a pretty effective protest. They've called in the attention of a good part of this nation (probably some international attention as well) to what they're doing, with zero violence I might add.

I don't know what you mean by furthering the divide. What divide? What are the sides here? I see some people protesting perceived injustice in regard to how they're being dealt with by law enforcement in this country. What's the other side of the "divide" there? People who think no such injustice exists? Haven't heard much from that group in all this.

There's a national discussion as a result of these protests. The President of the U.S. has had to come out and make a statement about it (for better or worse). That's a pretty effective protest. They've called in the attention of a good part of this nation (probably some international attention as well) to what they're doing, with zero violence I might add.

I don't know what you mean by furthering the divide. What divide? What are the sides here? I see some people protesting perceived injustice in regard to how they're being dealt with by law enforcement in this country. What's the other side of the "divide" there? People who think no such injustice exists? Haven't heard much from that group in all this.
:confused:

Didn't you just point it out in the previous sentence?

How were these protesters going to get their message across to as many people and as loudly as doing it during the anthem? 
off the field media day?

they could refuse to play for a game, forfeit their money that white fans and Trump supporters pay through ticket sales and tv ?

they could quit - why play a game in a nation that's so terrible ?

they could talk about the issues at every presser instead of talking about football

they could band together and create a players platform for political reforms 

but the easiest thing to do, is not stand ... the least amount of work to get the most amount of attention except this time, the attention is so bad is overshadows the cause - completely and utterly 

I don't know what you mean by furthering the divide. What divide? What are the sides here? I see some people protesting perceived injustice in regard to how they're being dealt with by law enforcement in this country. What's the other side of the "divide" there?
The other side is people that want the house pro athletes to shut up and be thankful before they get sent back into the fields

off the field media day?

they could refuse to play for a game, forfeit their money that white fans and Trump supporters pay through ticket sales and tv ?

they could talk about the issues at every presser instead of talking about football

but the easiest thing to do, is not stand ... the least amount of work to get the most amount of attention except this time, the attention is so bad is overshadows the cause - completely and utterly 
To respond to the bolded:

1. I don't recall any of the players saying our country is terrible. The exact opposite has been stated over and over again

2. As soon as they do that, the people who don't like the protests would jump all over them with the "Stick to sports" hoo ha.

Also I think you're wrong on almost all of them, but to pick one obvious one: if you think we haven't made substantial progress on gay rights in the last ten years I'm not even sure what to tell you.
that's not what I said

do you think there is no division still with the LGBTQRSTYS group and traditional family thinkers? the bathroom situation is a great example - for the right to pee in another stall/room, its become a topic that's gathered boycott's and state govt rulings etc

to pee

amazing

off the field media day?

The easiest thing to do is nothing.  Just keep standing and stay quiet.  Speaking up and taking the heat for it is hard.

ok I'm all for that

so .... disrespect tens of millions of American's and alienate a fan base and so many families of veterans etc .......... that's helping ? 
When I go to an NFL game I stand and take my hat off and face the flag during the National Anthem.  At that point I am not looking or caring if someone else removes their hat or if a player kneels or scratches his balls.   I really don't care what they do because I am focused on the flag and how much I love the United States.   If the guy next to me doesn't stand I really don't give a rats behind.

People nowadays are so focused on what other people do and how they should behave and love to judge others.  And our wonderful president is worse than anyone in this regard.   Hey Mr. President:  please do your job and don't worry about what NFL players are doing during the National Anthem  -- you have bigger problems to deal with.

Are you on FB at all? Or do you consume media of any kind? This is getting a huge amount of exposure, which is pretty much the entire goal of the protesters.
You're good at the condescending stuff.

I enjoyed this thread much more when we got to talk about how terrible a QB Kaep has become. 

So you can't name one way in which he was divisive.

Thanks for playing
I'm not going to look for quotes if that's what you want - but the US is much farther divided because of Obama and his 8 years

He was the Great Divider if he was anything 

It's probably been said already but isn't this whole "divisive" criticism just ridiculous to begin with?  I mean, George Washington was divisive, so was Abraham Lincoln, so was Martin Luther King.  We hold them all up as American heroes.  By contrast, Ryan Seacrest is not divisive.
OK that's enough. Ryan Seacrest is an American hero g dammit. Guy has like 3,000 jobs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When I go to an NFL game I stand and take my hat off and face the flag during the National Anthem.  At that point I am not looking or caring if someone else removes their hat or if a player kneels or scratches his balls.   I really don't care what they do because I am focused on the flag and how much I love the United States.   If the guy next to me doesn't stand I really don't give a rats behind.

People nowadays are so focused on what other people do and how they should behave and love to judge others.  And our wonderful president is worse than anyone in this regard.   Hey Mr. President:  please do your job and don't worry about what NFL players are doing during the National Anthem  -- you have bigger problems to deal with.
well said

off the field media day? No one cares.

they could refuse to play for a game, forfeit their money that white fans and Trump supporters pay through ticket sales and tv ?  Hurts them and no one else cares.  Wouldn't come close to the exposure now.

they could quit - why play a game in a nation that's so terrible ?  Same as above and doesn't address the issue.  You obviously don't know the cause.

they could talk about the issues at every presser instead of talking about football  Not enough people watch them and news wouldn't cover it enough.  No where close to the same exposure.

they could band together and create a players platform for political reforms Not a bad idea and should be done but still wouldn't get the same national exposure and many would ignore it.

but the easiest thing to do, is not stand ... the least amount of work to get the most amount of attention except this time, the attention is so bad is overshadows the cause - completely and utterly Seems like the best option.  It's peaceful.  It's simple.  It gets everyone's attention.  No one gets hurt.
These are all things that can be done in addition to what's being done none.  It needed something huge first in order to get the attention though.

I'm not a fan of your list, but this one is without a doubt wrong.  People are certainly more accepting of gays than ever before. (See polls on the support of gay marriage over time, for example.)
To be fair, he's in Arkansas.  Which has somehow gotten worse in the last couple of years as far as state-sponsored discrimination against LGBT citizens.

I don't know, you think so? Care to point it out?
Those that see racial injustice in the application of law enforcement (BLM) and those that don't (most local law enforcement).

There's a reason Kaepernick started his protesting with policemen as pig socks.

Not enough likes for this.

personal responsibility

everything that happens in a Presidency are theirs to own - Obama was the first POTUS to ever continually blame the previous President, I never saw anything like that ever. Disgraceful
Trump throws it back at him and I think it is his way of making a joke like when he said he was inheriting a mess.  

ahhh but doing do offended the other sides ...... its very hard to pander to special groups without offending others

and thus, we're more divided 
So in your opinion Obama should not have done anything to ensure homosexuals received more equality? That would've been better for our country? 

These are all things that can be done in addition to what's being done none.  It needed something huge first in order to get the attention though.
then support the kneelers, you have every right to 

and those of us offended? We can NOT support the kneelers and the NFL and bash them constantly for it

that's our right

and at the end of the day, we're farther apart for it all, not closer as a country and the racial division widens

congratulations to us both huh ?

Well said.  I'm with you on this one.

I'm not going to look for quotes if that's what you want - but the US is much farther divided because of Obama and his 8 years

He was the Great Divider if he was anything 
The "Great Divider" was in office for 8 years, but you can't name a single divisive thing that he did.

I don't think anything else needs to be said here.

that's not what I said

do you think there is no division still with the LGBTQRSTYS group and traditional family thinkers? the bathroom situation is a great example - for the right to pee in another stall/room, its become a topic that's gathered boycott's and state govt rulings etc

to pee

amazing
Of course there are people who want different things, but as I said before: if you think we've made no progress on gay rights in the last ten years or that things are more divisive on those issues than they used to be, you're out of your mind. In 2004 the GOP used state constitutional amendments explicitly banning same-sex marriage as a get-out-the-vote tactic in a presidential election. In other words, conservatives were so opposed to gay marriage that the GOP thought that voting against it would be a stronger motivation to get to the polls than voting for president. Compared to that, fighting over where transgendered people take a leak is a walk in the park..

So you can't name one way in which he was divisive.

Thanks for playing.
I think a lot of us could.  It's part of the job.  Are you suggesting he never did anything divisive?  Maybe you should look up the term before you go down this path??

It is your right to bash the kneelers if that is what you choose to do.

Seems to me, however, that if someone desires a more unified country the response would be to discuss the situation with them and others and work to improve it.

Those that see racial injustice in the application of law enforcement (BLM) and those that don't (most local law enforcement).

There's a reason Kaepernick started his protesting with policemen as pig socks.
:goodposting:

I forgot about the pig socks.  Remember when the hero of the left wore a Fidel Castro shirt?

then support the kneelers, you have every right to 

and those of us offended? We can NOT support the kneelers and the NFL and bash them constantly for it

that's our right

and at the end of the day, we're farther apart for it all, not closer as a country and the racial division widens

congratulations to us both huh ?
I never said that anyone can't be mad or not support players for kneeling.  I do think that they are mad at the wrong thing though and trying to help them understand.  It's not about disrespecting the flag or America and it never has been.

I'm convinced that for a significant percentage of the public, judging the relations between the majority and the minority is based on how loudly the minority is requesting/complaining about equal rights.  If they are silent, relations are great.  If the minority is voicing problems, relations are considered bad.

I'd like to see you prove that - what laws or rules target anyone else ? 
In 2015 your legislature passed a law that prohibited municipalities from enacting legislation protecting rights based on sexual orientation and gender identity.  Your Supreme Court struck down a Fayetteville law based on that Act earlier this year.

I think a lot of us could.  It's part of the job.  Are you suggesting he never did anything divisive?  Maybe you should look up the term before you go down this path??
Thanks, but I'm aware of what the term means.

My post was quoting a post that named all the ways we were apparently divided under Obama, without making the connection to what part Obama played in said division.

The "Great Divider" was in office for 8 years, but you can't name a single divisive thing that he did.

I don't think anything else needs to be said here.
and you can't deny that in 8 years all those things I listed and more are true. 

you can google - search yourself .......... we are far more divided in 8 years of Obama than in the previous 20

Trump might end up making us worse off, or give us all a rallying point and we can all band together and hate him equally maybe. that is the direction he's going 

that's not what I said

to pee

amazing
I deleted my quite agitated response to this.  

Instead: Please explain your acronym here in a way that is not offensive, if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread