What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (6 Viewers)

I knew Trump was one helluva con-man, but if you'd have told me in January that he'd manage to convince a bunch of his sheep to boycott the NFL by September, I'd have said that's a bridge too far even for him.  Kudos.
Eh, it's not like he's convincing them to boycott NASCAR. Now that would be a feat. 

I thought Americans got offended too easily.  Remember all the p*ssification of America talk?  Those same people are now offended by kneeling.  Apparently the tough guys get to tell everyone else what they should be offended about but not them.  :no:
Hard to keep up, but I don't remember him telling anyone they should be offended. You have a link or just putting words in other posters mouths?

No, these protests are before the games start, so it is not being implemented into the game of football and doesn't interfere with one second of you watching the actual game.
No kidding. I can't remember the last time I actually watched the national anthem other than the super bowl.

Green Bay players asking fans to link arms during anthem: 'This is about equality'
That is great that the fans link arms and the players kneel for a minute.

Then the games start, players play, the fans watch and get drunk and check their FF teams score, go back into the parking lot have some more to eat and drink and then go home.  Players get into the Range Rovers and go their separate ways out to dinner and a club. Coaches and ownesr to the country club for dinner and drinks and discuss the win or loss.

What changes on a Monday morning in a Detroit, Chicago, Newark school or neighborhood?

Hard to keep up, but I don't remember him telling anyone they should be offended. You have a link or just putting words in other posters mouths?
I didn't name anyone specifically.  I was referring to a group of Americans.  The ones who are always boasting their national pride and telling people to "Love it or leave it."  The ones who have Facebook pages with thousands of followers that tell us that people get offended to often and are snowflakes.  The majority seem to be the biggest advocates for Trump.

Then the games start, players play, the fans watch and get drunk and check their FF teams score, go back into the parking lot have some more to eat and drink and then go home.  Players get into the Range Rovers and go their separate ways out to dinner and a club. Coaches and ownesr to the country club for dinner and drinks and discuss the win or loss.

What changes on a Monday morning in a Detroit, Chicago, Newark school or neighborhood?
Hopefully a handful of those people actually find a new understanding of what's really going on.  Maybe a few people decide it's time to really make a difference and actually to something.  Just because it's not going to change instantly doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

It's almost as if :shudder: the protesters are trying to bring people together?

Trump just needs to go nuclear on the NFL.  If they want to continue this political commentary, then introduce legislation to take away their antitrust exemption.   

The owners will reign in all this garbage.  

So, the team still kneels before the anthem and stands during the anthem?

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 3h3 hours ago

Spoke to Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys yesterday.

Jerry is a winner who knows how to get things done.

Players will stand for Country!

Trump just needs to go nuclear on the NFL.  If they want to continue this political commentary, then introduce legislation to take away their antitrust exemption.   

The owners will reign in all this garbage.  
How is any of that a good idea and show good leadership?  Why do you want American citizens to be forced to do things, do you hate freedom that much?

So given all that, can you not comprehend that a black athlete would have a different view of what it means to be American? To have a different view of the flag and the anthem?
If love of country doesn't mean anything to a citizen of the United States, I have no use for them. I'm sorry, the love of country is supposed to be strong, Patriotism is supposed to burn bright in a citizen, so much so that you'd die for it. 

So either NFL players don't love their country, or they do and are disrespecting it. Which is it? 

I'm quoting you here, but I am not really directing this at you, since I believe you have no ability to take yourself out of your shoes. But for a second, try to imagine being a black person who has grown up in this country. A country who has a history of treating your people poorly. Your ancestors were stolen from their homeland, and brought here to this country to live under deplorable conditions, literally being owned. Then they were freed in name only, and forced to live as second class citizens for another 100 years. Only then were laws codified to finally make it seem that things were "equal". Most black NFL player's grandparents lived in a society that had separate bathrooms, water fountains, etc. And it's not as if everything magically became right after the Civil Rights Act. Discriminatory housing and employment practices were still rampant, and exist to this day. Urban development in the 60s and 70s moved black people out of neighborhoods and into "projects". And the vestiges of slavery and being second class citizens have placed current day black people at a significant economic disadvantage compared to the rest of American society. And on top of this, they are seeing members of their community being shot without due cause, and there are a million things wrong with how the criminal justice system has treated black people.

I cannot put myself exactly where they are, no more so than they can put themselves where I am or where my family came from. Yes, the country has a dark past, every country does. We've come a long way. the last sentence there is one we fundamentally disagree on 

very very rarely is someone shot without due cause - and a million things wrong with the criminal justice system treatment of black people? there are many white and brown communities in dire straights, many whites and browns on drugs, criminals, poverty, high crime etc. Don't think the problems in the black communities are only for them, they're not. Solve these problems as a COUNTRY, not as individual skin colors please. When you split everyone into groups based on color of skin, nothing good comes from it.

the problems facing the people of the United States - of all colors - needs addressed, absolutely. Using disrespect to our flag and country ? unacceptable 

I literally just asked a black friend about what he thought about it all - and he 100% agreed with me that there are issues that need addressed, kneeling is NOT a way to address them and he's offended as well and won't watch games now. He went further, and said his kids better never think they can kneel as a way to complain about something ... he said he'd bust their a$$ for it. He's absolutely right

Why can't Americans be thankful they live in this great nation without doing what you do?  Why do they have to thank God?  Why do they have to stand?  What if they have their own way that they feel stronger about?  Does that mean they don't love being an American as much as you?
Its called honoring the military, respecting those who've served, Patriotism to this great country and the love of it. 

If you don't get it, you just don't. Some people are like that I guess. 

@Stealthycat At least we have one important thing in common, we like to fish. 
Table Rock lake is fantastic ... we pulled into a dock at 2 pm and in 5 minutes I had two 3 1/2 pounders in the boat and lost 2 more. Could have been an amazing finish if I'd have landed those other two (using finesse baits, small hooks, 6 lb test and deep water, tough fishing) 

Table Rock lake is fantastic ... we pulled into a dock at 2 pm and in 5 minutes I had two 3 1/2 pounders in the boat and lost 2 more. Could have been an amazing finish if I'd have landed those other two (using finesse baits, small hooks, 6 lb test and deep water, tough fishing) 
Lucky.  I've only driven past.  Two weeks ago I spent 5 days fishing in MN.  Was the best year we ever had.

Its called honoring the military, respecting those who've served, Patriotism to this great country and the love of it. 

The flag doesn't represent the military though and I feel too many people get caught up in that.  The flag represents America and as great as we all know it is it still has some flaws.  How about we all get past the outrage and focus trying to improve those flaws?  I think people are too stuck on the wrong thing here.  I get it, everyone got offended but now that your attention was gained lets focus on the real point of the whole protest.

So, they loved the country but had a different view of how it should be run and not only refused to salute the flag but decided to salute a new one. 

Try to find the analogy.  Just try. 
It was a long time ago, a different world, a different time ........... no, I'm not going to forge an analogy between that world, and the NFL players openly and knowingly disrespecting the people and the country. I won't draw it with Trump either, who was wrong in the words he used.

I wonder .... if we had a war start with North Korea tomorrow, how many men would would refuse to go? 20%? 50% ?   They don't love and respect their country enough to stand or to even get on a message board and defend that .......... do you think they'd go to N Korea and lay their lives down for the United States ? 

More and more this country is losing its Patriotism I think. So funny Henry Ford that you want to say the Confederacy was splitting from the USA in its infancy, and that should be offensive, but the splitting you're witnessing right now in the United States is a 1st Amendment freedom and simply an expression of views.

It was a long time ago, a different world, a different time ........... no, I'm not going to forge an analogy between that world, and the NFL players openly and knowingly disrespecting the people and the country. I won't draw it with Trump either, who was wrong in the words he used.

I wonder .... if we had a war start with North Korea tomorrow, how many men would would refuse to go? 20%? 50% ?   They don't love and respect their country enough to stand or to even get on a message board and defend that .......... do you think they'd go to N Korea and lay their lives down for the United States ? 

More and more this country is losing its Patriotism I think. So funny Henry Ford that you want to say the Confederacy was splitting from the USA in its infancy, and that should be offensive, but the splitting you're witnessing right now in the United States is a 1st Amendment freedom and simply an expression of views.
No one is splitting from the USA.  Just expressing dissatisfaction with a thing that's part of it. 

I thought Americans got offended too easily.  Remember all the p*ssification of America talk?  Those same people are now offended by kneeling.  Apparently the tough guys get to tell everyone else what they should be offended about but not them.  :no:
depends on what you're talking about i guess ... there are many levels of offensive things

kneeling isn't offensive to some here, but add a letter to LGBTQ and that's highly offensive isn't it ?

If love of country doesn't mean anything to a citizen of the United States, I have no use for them. I'm sorry, the love of country is supposed to be strong, Patriotism is supposed to burn bright in a citizen, so much so that you'd die for it. 

So either NFL players don't love their country, or they do and are disrespecting it. Which is it? 
False dichotomy.

You can love this country, but still see injustices and inequality that you want to see changed. Expressing that, by silently kneeling and genuflecting towards the flag during the national anthem is not showing disrespect.

If anything would be disrespectful to those and fought and died to protect our constitutional rights, it would be forcing people to make a public display of patriotism and/or punishing them for expressing their right of free speech if they don't.

Mind-numbing times.

Trump can crack jokes about diplomats being expelled from Russia.  He can question the integrity of the FBI and CIA.  These people are on the front line doing dangerous things.  They are as important to our safety as any soldier.  Do you know how we caught Bin Laden?

It's ok to disparage all those people.  But kneeling during the anthem when the POTUS call's you a son-of-a-##### has Joe Plumber in an outrage.

What a dumb-downed country.  No class anymore.
Obama had Fast and Furious, the SS sex scandals, Hillary's emails, Benghazi lies and attempted coverup, the Iran payoff's, the hot mic Obama promises to Russia, the wire tapping of Trump towers before the election, the massive unmasking that was Obama's administration ..... bin Laden wasn't caught FYI and many more things that can be listed.

there is a long term memory problem in the US 

Lucky.  I've only driven past.  Two weeks ago I spent 5 days fishing in MN.  Was the best year we ever had.
I lived in Duluth one summer, fished Brainerd area but especially Chequamegon Bay ... incredible smallmouth fishing (live in Minneapolis one winter too)

Obama had Fast and Furious, the SS sex scandals, Hillary's emails, Benghazi lies and attempted coverup, the Iran payoff's, the hot mic Obama promises to Russia, the wire tapping of Trump towers before the election, the massive unmasking that was Obama's administration ..... bin Laden wasn't caught FYI and many more things that can be listed.

The thing is: 

Trump is actually corrupt, and they knew that when they voted for him. 

I appreciate this as performance art.  A commentary on Trumpism, whereby you say so many things that are so obviously false and ridiculous that your opponents can't hold your feet to the fire on any one of them without getting distracted by the others and throwing their hands up in frustration. Well played.

No, but if he had a choice, he probably would have preferred that to the actual outcome.

The flag doesn't represent the military though and I feel too many people get caught up in that.  The flag represents America and as great as we all know it is it still has some flaws.  How about we all get past the outrage and focus trying to improve those flaws?  I think people are too stuck on the wrong thing here.  I get it, everyone got offended but now that your attention was gained lets focus on the real point of the whole protest.
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

The above is a good reminder of what the Flag means, what it is, the respect it deserves because without that flag, and what it represents, you and I have nothing as citizens. 

Its like the Bible being the word of God, but it isn't God, yet it does represent God and should be respected and honored

Except religion is a choice - every citizen of the United States is under our American flag and if you're a citizen, it isn't your choice but your duty. 

now that your attention was gained lets focus on the real point of the whole protest.
that's the kicker

I don't want to listen to a word any of them has to say. If they think I'm willing to listen to them after they offended me, then they should be willing to listen to Trump after he offended them

True? But they won't, and I won't, for the very same reasons.

As I said, nobody won here, everyone lost

I appreciate this as performance art.  A commentary on Trumpism, whereby you say so many things that are so obviously false and ridiculous that your opponents can't hold your feet to the fire on any one of them without getting distracted by the others and throwing their hands up in frustration. Well played.
I think he's genuine. And there's a lot more like him out there and that scares me.

depends on what you're talking about i guess ... there are many levels of offensive things

kneeling isn't offensive to some here, but add a letter to LGBTQ and that's highly offensive isn't it ?
It's not offensive to me but I'm sure you'd offend their community.

Interesting how it was a former Green Beret who first told Kaepernick about the kneeling during the anthem idea.

I guess he was disrespecting the military when he came up with that idea. Would seem to make sense. 

I'm sorry, the love of country is supposed to be strong, Patriotism is supposed to burn bright in a citizen, so much so that you'd die for it. 
This is simply not true.  Love of country is supposed to be an individual choice.  Patriotism is supposed to be an individual choice.

To say nothing of the fact that genuine patriotic love of country can be expressed in ways you don't approve of or understand.

Do you honestly think that Trump himself gets this at all? I don't seem to recall you being horrified when he disparaged John McCain's service record or attacked the Gold Star Khan family during the DNC. You're outraged over a bunch of 20-something athletes quietly protesting a legitimate issue and were totally OK with a Presidential candidate's blatant disrespect to genuine heros and now that he's President using these protests as a deliberate wedge issue to score political points with folks who don't know any better. Just awful, and another perfect illustration of how we ended up with this clown in the first place.

I appreciate this as performance art.  A commentary on Trumpism, whereby you say so many things that are so obviously false and ridiculous that your opponents can't hold your feet to the fire on any one of them without getting distracted by the others and throwing their hands up in frustration. Well played
I'll call Trump for what happens under his administration, can you do the same for what happened under Obama?

if I can't back up what I say, I'll admit it

Do you honestly think that Trump himself gets this at all? I don't seem to recall you being horrified when he disparaged John McCain's service record or attacked the Gold Star Khan family during the DNC. You're outraged over a bunch of 20-something athletes quietly protesting a legitimate issue and were totally OK with a Presidential candidate's blatant disrespect to genuine heros and now that he's President using these protests as a deliberate wedge issue to score political points with folks who don't know any better. Just awful, and another perfect illustration of how we ended up with this clown in the first place.
So many likes

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

The above is a good reminder of what the Flag means, what it is, the respect it deserves because without that flag, and what it represents, you and I have nothing as citizens. 

Its like the Bible being the word of God, but it isn't God, yet it does represent God and should be respected and honored

Except religion is a choice - every citizen of the United States is under our American flag and if you're a citizen, it isn't your choice but your duty. 
James Fennimore Cooper, are you horrible at analogies.

And it is the Constitution, not the flag that represents what we have as citizens. And the Constitution gives all of us the choice to stand, sit or do anything else that is not otherwise unlawful during the playing of the anthem.

Users who are viewing this thread