What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (4 Viewers)

sigh

I don't think people understand respect and honor anymore. I'm trying to paint pictures here, ya'll just not getting it.

Ok here, I went to a visitation for the father of a dear friend recently. We didn't leave early, we stayed to support the family .... and somehow, the visitation turned into a Catholic ceremony of some kind, with the priest saying hail mary's and such ... sorry, I'm not Catholic, I know nothing about what it was. 

But I sit where I was, my head bowed, I didn't say a word for the 40 minutes it lasted.

I wasn't obligated to, no rules said I had to, no law required it, nobody asked me to. It was the right thing to do, showing respect and honoring the man, the family and what it was all about.

The Anthem is what, 30 seconds? Stand for it, put your hand over your heart, for 30 seconds remember the people that died for this country, for your freedom, just for 30 seconds of the 86,400 seconds of the day, show respect and honor.

Its not that much to ask.
I'm not sure what Anthem you're talking about. Our anthem is about the flag, not the troops.  At best you can argue that kneeling shows lack of respect for the flag.  Voting for a man who insulted POWs shows lack of respect for the troops.

you can protest without offending a whole lot of people

Trump doesn't understand this. NFL players don't understand this. People blocking highways don't understand it either. There is a way to get your points out to people without causing chaos and division because when you do that? Anything you wanted to say get pushed aside and everything that's talked about is what you did.

Trump got China to stop banking with North Korea. Big deal IMO, Obama couldn't get that even .......... and its overshadowed by his idiot words on standing for an anthem at an NFL game
What protest method used by someone expressing an idea you disagree with have you agreed with in the last ten years?

Or why people are protesting.

Trevor Noah asked a good question this week - When is the proper time for black people to protest? 
Well, that's like asking when it's ok for women to speak for themselves.  According to some it's sometime after they get done making them a sandwich.  I wonder if these are the same people upset with the kneeling.  Me thinks so.

I'm not sure what Anthem you're talking about. Our anthem is about the flag, not the troops.  At best you can argue that kneeling shows lack of respect for the flag.  Voting for a man who insulted POWs shows lack of respect for the troops.
Don't forget that the same man says he knows more than the Generals.

What's funny is that someone with such strong feelings for the anthem doesn't even know how long it takes fror most performers to sing it.
You'll have to excuse him. He just gets lost in the moment. Of course it's one of many moments he gets lost in each day, but its the most important one.

Are you going to quit watching games or boycott NFL sponsors if the protests continue?
I am going to stop watching NFL games. I'll read the box scores for FF reasons and that's it and if it continues, I'll quit FF.

I don't need the NFL - its fun to watch, but I don't need it and American's don't need it. Not need - they want yes, but they don't need.

NFL games, teams, owners .... they HAVE to have fans. Without fans, there is no money. 

Offending your fan base is never a good idea. the NFL and Trump did that this weekend IMO

For years I've purposely missed the first few minutes of every football game, mainly to avoid the ads, intros, and now non-eventful kickoffs. And they rarely showed the anthem with some of those ads taking its place. At a live game I am usually still in the bathroom or concession stand, where I am already standing anyways.

I am going to stop watching NFL games. I'll read the box scores for FF reasons and that's it and if it continues, I'll quit FF.

I don't need the NFL - its fun to watch, but I don't need it and American's don't need it. Not need - they want yes, but they don't need.

NFL games, teams, owners .... they HAVE to have fans. Without fans, there is no money. 

Offending your fan base is never a good idea. the NFL and Trump did that this weekend IMO
And if they squashed the efforts another segment of the fanbase would be offended too. You're not capable of realizing this?

For years I've purposely missed the first few minutes of every football game, mainly to avoid the ads, intros, and now non-eventful kickoffs. And they rarely showed the anthem with some of those ads taking its place. At a live game I am usually still in the bathroom or concession stand, where I am already standing anyways.
That's the thing that is really inexplicable. Most NFL games don't even show the anthem so people are being outraged by something they don't even see. It's similar to people protesting a movie they never watched because they heard it's something they should get upset about. Same exact thing here. 

Obviously, this past weekend was different but that was because Trump forced himself into the storyline making it different. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I would like all Americans to do.  Try thinking of it from the other side.  Lets pretend that something is happening to you or family or race or whatever group that you belong to and you are being oppressed.  Not only that but your group is being extorted, beaten and maybe even killed but it goes unnoticed or people just don't want to care.  Now, once you get to that very sad place in your mind try and think of a way to make the world aware of it.  How can you make every see what is going on and get them to know how you feel.

Once you come up with an effective way to get everyone's attention let me know.  Then once we figure that out then we can start working on how we get everyone to actually care about it an try to make some changes.

Okay.  I started a thread for this, but I can ask it here.  What method of protest is perfectly acceptable for people expressing ideas you disagree with?
peaceful, assembled protest that doesn't restrict access to or destroy public and private property.  

peaceful, assembled protest that doesn't restrict access to or destroy public and private property.  
These players are locking arms or taking a knee in a stadium.  It doesn't get more peaceful, less restrictive of access or less destructive of property than what they're doing.  I'm going to need some specifics on this one from the person I'm asking who disagrees with this method.

These players are locking arms or taking a knee in a stadium.  It doesn't get more peaceful, less restrictive of access or less destructive of property than what they're doing.  I'm going to need some specifics on this one from the person I'm asking who disagrees with this method.
You're right. 

As for the person addressed, I thought you were getting back to the other thread. Carry on. My apologies.  

The only thing being destroyed that seems to upset so many people is the status quo. It's the same line of thinking that we get after a mass shooting, when any attempt to talk about gun laws is met with the usual "THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO POLITICIZE THIS!" screeds.

Don't forget all the other sports. NBA, MLB, NHL, college football, - all of them have players who have engaged in some form of protest (usually kneeling) during the anthem. You'll need to drop those too. I couldn't find any in college basketball so you're safe there for now, but I suspect that won't last long.

What if the place were some worked at did something in support of the players, I wonder if some would quit their jobs?

Don't forget all the other sports. NBA, MLB, NHL, college football, - all of them have players who have engaged in some form of protest (usually kneeling) during the anthem. You'll need to drop those too. I couldn't find any in college basketball so you're safe there for now, but I suspect that won't last long.
hmmmmm This has me thinking. @Joe Bryant - any way we could get the national anthem played here before the beginning of each posting day?

sigh

I don't think people understand respect and honor anymore. I'm trying to paint pictures here, ya'll just not getting it.

Ok here, I went to a visitation for the father of a dear friend recently. We didn't leave early, we stayed to support the family .... and somehow, the visitation turned into a Catholic ceremony of some kind, with the priest saying hail mary's and such ... sorry, I'm not Catholic, I know nothing about what it was. 

But I sit where I was, my head bowed, I didn't say a word for the 40 minutes it lasted.

I wasn't obligated to, no rules said I had to, no law required it, nobody asked me to. It was the right thing to do, showing respect and honoring the man, the family and what it was all about.

The Anthem is what, 30 seconds? Stand for it, put your hand over your heart, for 30 seconds remember the people that died for this country, for your freedom, just for 30 seconds of the 86,400 seconds of the day, show respect and honor.

Its not that much to ask.
You can't force anybody to do it

This controversy would not be complete without Steven Seagal sharing his views:

Good Morning Britain @GMB 8h8 hours ago

Steven Seagal has told us he finds the NFL kneeling protest 'disgusting' and 'an outrage'

Full interview: http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/news/steven-seagal-nfl-kneeling-protest-is-disgusting

Hollywood actor Steven Seagal has told Good Morning Britain that he finds the kneeling protest at NFL games 'disgusting'.

Responding to American footballers refusing to stand during the national anthem as a protest against Donald Trump, Seagal said: “I believe in free speech, I believe that everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, but I don’t agree that they should hold the United States of America or the world hostage by taking a venue where people are tuning in to watch a football game and imposing their political views."

“I think it’s outrageous, I think it’s a joke, it’s disgusting. I respect the American flag. I myself have risked my life countless times for the American flag and I don’t understand or agree with this kind of behaviour. I think it’s an outrage.”

This controversy would not complete without Steven Seagal sharing his views:

Steven Seagal has told us he finds the NFL kneeling protest 'disgusting' and 'an outrage'

Full interview: http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/news/steven-seagal-nfl-kneeling-protest-is-disgusting

Hollywood actor Steven Seagal has told Good Morning Britain that he finds the kneeling protest at NFL games 'disgusting'.

Responding to American footballers refusing to stand during the national anthem as a protest against Donald Trump, Seagal said: “I believe in free speech, I believe that everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, but I don’t agree that they should hold the United States of America or the world hostage by taking a venue where people are tuning in to watch a football game and imposing their political views."

“I think it’s outrageous, I think it’s a joke, it’s disgusting. I respect the American flag. I myself have risked my life countless times for the American flag and I don’t understand or agree with this kind of behaviour. I think it’s an outrage.”
Would you say that these events are "Under Siege", Steven?

This controversy would not complete without Steven Seagal sharing his views:

I don't understand why he isn't called "Russian citizen Steven Seagal."

hmmmmm This has me thinking. @Joe Bryant - any way we could get the national anthem played here before the beginning of each posting day?
I dream of a day where the US will be more like the Hunger Games.  Each day would could stand out in a giant assembly area and watch a giant screen with Trump on it while the anthem plays.  Hopefully we will be surrounded by military with weapons to make sure we all stand and sing along too.  Sounds beautiful.

in all fairness who amung us has not thought to themself well wait i want to see what steven segull says before i come to a conclusion and now we have it so i guess the riddle is solved and we can get back to winning again take that to the bank brohans 

can you brohans even imagine if we just said you know what middle east you want trouble here it comes and then bam we just unleash the mother fn kraken that is a combined stealth force of both steven seagull and chuck norris i bet we would have world peace in about 5 days take that to the bank bromigos

its all fun and games making fun of steven seagull until you are on the receiving end of a death dealing xyphroid process kill thrust from old stevies fist lets just say you have all been warned take that to the bank brochachos 

If love of country doesn't mean anything to a citizen of the United States, I have no use for them. I'm sorry, the love of country is supposed to be strong, Patriotism is supposed to burn bright in a citizen, so much so that you'd die for it. 
If you are a citizen of North Korea, are you supposed to love your country too? Love of country is supposed to be earned, not followed blindly. According to you, it doesn't matter what the government is doing, you are supposed to be "patriotic". Honestly, what this really tells me is that you currently see nothing wrong with the current state of the U.S., and those uppity black NFL players should shut up and know their role.

"I believe that everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, but I don’t agree that they should hold the United States of America or the world hostage by taking a venue where people are tuning in to watch a football game and imposing their political views"
They're kidnapping my eyes!!

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
its not the time that's in question - its the methods
no offence catman but the fact that the methods have got you all hot and bothered pretty much tell me that they are one hell of a tactic wildly successful and that the guys on the end of it would be crazy to stop employing it because the truth is look at all the words you have typed about it they are clearly in your head honest and not trying to be a jerk or whatever but it is clearly just working take that to the bank brocato 

tim tebow versus steven seagull who wins in a cage match where the use of only things found in the ring as weapons is allowed take that to the bank brohans 

I don't feel that we're showing enough respect for the fact that Seagal now looks like a cross between Seb Gorka and Dr. Fu Manchu.
:shock:  

Also, found this: https://twitter.com/eaglemcgill/status/912956652025937920/photo/1
i am literally laughing so loud that the other guys around here came in to watch it bam brohan take that to the bank 

Users who are viewing this thread