What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (2 Viewers)

I bet you support participation trophies.
Living in a the "greatest" country, with 300 million other people, and somehow taking personal pride in being the "greatest", without having accomplished anything yourself, is, to me, the very definition of a participation trophy.

IMO, whether or not a country is freaking awesome or the "greatest ever" has absolutely no bearing on one's day to day life.  So its dumb to waste time and resources worrying about it. 

I'm not going to review 97 pages here but can someone explain why this display of unity by the players has to take place during the National Anthem? Why not 1 minute before or 1 minute after? Seems to me that by holding it during the National Anthem they've lost their message and made it about the National Anthem when that could have easily been avoided.

what are we using for the measuring stick?
This is one of my biggest problems with the whole protest thing. Okay, we are kneeling and now in week 7 we are not because things are so much better.  :whoosh:

It is like me saying I am going to hold my breath until people are nice to one another. 

I'm not going to review 97 pages here but can someone explain why this display of unity by the players has to take place during the National Anthem? Why not 1 minute before or 1 minute after? Seems to me that by holding it during the National Anthem they've lost their message and made it about the National Anthem when that could have easily been avoided.
I think a lot of us wonder the same thing. 

1 minute after they're in commercial.

I believe it was to gain as much attention as they could in order to spread their message. If they did it before or after fewer people would care. The fact that it pissed a lot of people off and is all over the media proves it worked. 

This is one of my biggest problems with the whole protest thing. Okay, we are kneeling and now in week 7 we are not because things are so much better.  :whoosh:

It is like me saying I am going to hold my breath until people are nice to one another. 
I meant what measuring stick are we using to determine which country is the greatest.

No, it's kind of like we're going to wear pink gloves and shoes every October. 

This is the saddest part about the protests is that they are just getting more people killed.  Homicide rates will continue to soar and nobody cares (and shhhh nobody can talk about it).

Because it makes you pay attention. 

The whole purpose of peaceful protest is to startle you out of your complacency. It can't be done quietly. It needs to shock, and yes sometimes even offend in order to get you to pay attention. 

This is the saddest part about the protests is that they are just getting more people killed.  Homicide rates will continue to soar and nobody cares (and shhhh nobody can talk about it).
I care. Why can't we talk about it? 

What should be done to reduce black on black homicides, and how do we combine that with reducing police shootings of young black men? I think both are serious problems that need to be addressed. 

Contrary to what everyone is saying, the reason it's during the anthem is not because that's the most visible time. It's much more organic than that. 

It developed that way because CK didn't feel right "standing and honoring America" when there was so much police mistreatment of minorities going on here. So he stayed seated on the bench while others stood for the anthem. 

Then he spoke to a green beret who told him about soldiers "taking a knee" and suggested he do that instead of just sitting during the anthem.

So it has to be during the anthem because the anthem is specifically what he's not standing for. 

After giving it some more thought, here's the worst way the weekend spirals into chaos.  Fans run onto the field to confront the players when they kneel.  The players tackle those fans.  This causes more fans to run onto the field to defend them.  The cops are in the middle of this, and in the heat of the moment and in the confusion, some players tackle the cops.  Then a lvery large number of fans run onto the field to protect the cops.  Games are never played and we have civil unrest.

I'm sure you don't.  Liberals seem content on letting the homicide rates in this country continue to increase.
But the homicide rates would be at 50-year lows if we didn't count 2008-2014.

I'm not saying that it's not a problem, but I really don't understand how protesting homicides equates with "letting homicide rates increase".  What solutions would you like to see that would decrease the homicide rates?  More guns with no regulations on them?

Money doesn't always solve every problem.  Not playing doesn't solve anything. 
Money doesn't solve the police/justice/political system, as they don't have nearly enough money or resources to wholesale change those institutions.

He just couldn't help himself with that red herring.

Users who are viewing this thread