What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (6 Viewers)

If money doesn't solve the problem of not having enough money, what does?
I meant the amount of money (resources) they have doesn't do it.  Maybe owner level money/resources/influence would. We are talking about changing nationwide police and judicial systems.

changing the way people think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why aren't any of these players protesting by not playing, or donating their game checks to the cause?
Maybe because they aren't protesting the NFL and they're there for their teammates.  Maybe they could donate more but this isn't really about the money.

D: wait until the end of the game when your team has a lead and have the most visible player take a knee with the ball in his hands.
That would truly make an impact. If for no other reason than most of those guys are white ;)  

Contrary to what everyone is saying, the reason it's during the anthem is not because that's the most visible time. It's much more organic than that. 

It developed that way because CK didn't feel right "standing and honoring America" when there was so much police mistreatment of minorities going on here. So he stayed seated on the bench while others stood for the anthem. 

Then he spoke to a green beret who told him about soldiers "taking a knee" and suggested he do that instead of just sitting during the anthem.

So it has to be during the anthem because the anthem is specifically what he's not standing for. 
But nobody is talking about that or the very reason they are protesting. The narrative has changed to disrespecting the flag and national anthem. By doing it the way they are, they have completely lost their message. There are other avenues to get their point across.

All this has gotten me wondering:  Why do the white supremacists need to carry their torches and yell racial epithets near the confederate monuments?  They aren't protesting the monuments.  If anything it's counter to their cause of honoring the monuments and all they stand for.

They can protest all they want, but I wish they'd find another time and place to do it.

But nobody is talking about that or the very reason they are protesting. The narrative has changed to disrespecting the flag and national anthem. By doing it the way they are, they have completely lost their message. There are other avenues to get their point across.
Me and you - we're talking about it right now.  Lots of other people are too.

People are trying to deflect and make the protest about the anthem or the flag precisely because they don't want to focus on the real cause. The message isn't being lost, it's being ignored, as it has been with other less provocative forms of protest. That's why they've take a different approach.

People are trying to deflect and make the protest about the anthem or the flag precisely because they don't want to focus on the real cause. The message isn't being lost, it's being ignored, as it has been with other less provocative forms of protest. That's why they've take a different approach.
OK, so the message isn't being lost. It's being ignored. Is the result any different? I just think that it's not the best way to bring about change if you chose a method of protest that allows itself to be so easily manipulated or morphed into something else that allows the message to be lost or ignored. You could have your protest before or after the national anthem or take 1 or 2 minutes before the teams go into the locker room at half and the networks would still cover it and it wouldn't get confused into the National Anthem controversy.

Just curious,Aaron Rodgers came out this week and asked the fans to join in the players protest tonight. When was the last time (or first time) Aaron Rodgers spent some time in the community talking about this?

Would love to continue this discussion but I gotta go to work.

The talking points of "they could make their point more effectively" and "if they're so offended, why aren't they out in the community?" are so disingenuous. 

Both talking points inherently mean you understand what the protest is about.  If you get it, then talk about it. Agree or disagree or have a nuanced opinion. The talking points are just a diversion tactic - pretending to be sympathetic while refusing to actually address the issue. Shooting the messenger instead of dealing with the message. 

OK, so the message isn't being lost. It's being ignored. Is the result any different? I just think that it's not the best way to bring about change if you chose a method of protest that allows itself to be so easily manipulated or morphed into something else that allows the message to be lost or ignored. You could have your protest before or after the national anthem or take 1 or 2 minutes before the teams go into the locker room at half and the networks would still cover it and it wouldn't get confused into the National Anthem controversy.

Just curious,Aaron Rodgers came out this week and asked the fans to join in the players protest tonight. When was the last time (or first time) Aaron Rodgers spent some time in the community talking about this?
It sounds like he just was -- the fans are the community

The talking points of "they could make their point more effectively" and "if they're so offended, why aren't they out in the community?" are so disingenuous. 

Both talking points inherently mean you understand what the protest is about.  If you get it, then talk about it. Agree or disagree or have a nuanced opinion. The talking points are just a diversion tactic - pretending to be sympathetic while refusing to actually address the issue. Shooting the messenger instead of dealing with the message. 
I'd wager that a majority of the people saying things like that or "ok, we need to figure out what the issues are" fully get what the protests are about, they just want to continue ignoring them and maintaining the status quo.

The main problem with the protests, IMO, has always been that there's no specific goal. It reminds me very much of the Occupy Wall Street movement, which I thought was well-intentioned, but seemed to have no specific demands.

The main problem with the protests, IMO, has always been that there's no specific goal. It reminds me very much of the Occupy Wall Street movement, which I thought was well-intentioned, but seemed to have no specific demands.
It was mentioned upthread that the goalsof the Washington march were "Jobs and Freedom". Yet that seemed a pivotal event nonetheless

After giving it some more thought, here's the worst way the weekend spirals into chaos.  Fans run onto the field to confront the players when they kneel.  The players tackle those fans.  This causes more fans to run onto the field to defend them.  The cops are in the middle of this, and in the heat of the moment and in the confusion, some players tackle the cops.  Then a lvery large number of fans run onto the field to protect the cops.  Games are never played and we have civil unrest.
Horse Feathers!

While viewership and maybe cost of ads are going down for the game, the cost of an ad right before the anthem seems should be at a premium right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps you're only hearing that because of who you're listening to
sure, that's part of it, its the same with everybody

I listed to hours of liberal talk radio driving to my bass tournament this past weekend - disagreed with everything they said pretty much, but I did listen

when is the last time a liberal has listened to hours of conservative radio trying to see the other side?

its one reason I love this forum- my view is a minority here, that's a good thing for me, not a bad thing

Just think of all the people who, months ago, would talk through the anthem, or daydream, or eat their food...but now, it's the most sacred thing in the world.  Right up there with God, Jesus, the second amendment, anti-abortion, and NASCAR.

After giving it some more thought, here's the worst way the weekend spirals into chaos.  Fans run onto the field to confront the players when they kneel.  The players tackle those fans.  This causes more fans to run onto the field to defend them.  The cops are in the middle of this, and in the heat of the moment and in the confusion, some players tackle the cops.  Then a lvery large number of fans run onto the field to protect the cops.  Games are never played and we have civil unrest.
you available for kids parties?

in your mind I guess that's the way it appears 
If that were the case, wouldn't I be dismissing you as a troll and putting you on ignore, since we obviously disagree. The guy I was referring to in that post is someone with probably a dozen accounts that has never engaged in any meaningful discussion with any of them. He's obviously here to stir the pot and nothing else, hence the need for so many accounts to dodge the bannings and continue his useless nonsense.

I'm confused now on what the protests are for

are they to bring awareness to issues or to give the middle finger to Trump ? sounds like its in retaliation to Trump now

I was talking to my brother this morning .... it seems in today's world if you want to protest, you pick an action that causes the most offensive, hurts the most feelings, pisses the most people off ......... what a fantastic way to bring unity huh ?

If that were the case, wouldn't I be dismissing you as a troll and putting you on ignore, since we obviously disagree. The guy I was referring to in that post is someone with probably a dozen accounts that has never engaged in any meaningful discussion with any of them. He's obviously here to stir the pot and nothing else, hence the need for so many accounts to dodge the bannings and continue his useless nonsense
I guess I'm overly sensitive because of all the names I've been called.

are they to bring awareness to issues or to give the middle finger to Trump ? sounds like its in retaliation to Trump now

I was talking to my brother this morning .... it seems in today's world if you want to protest, you pick an action that causes the most offensive, hurts the most feelings, pisses the most people off ......... what a fantastic way to bring unity huh ?
Yeah, I mean, those silly black folks who protested at restaurants, they were just looking to offend the white folks right?

What a great way they brought unity by flaring up so much hostility, by making white folks mad...my god, had they no idea how much disharmony they were creating?

perhaps part of the fault lies with the people getting pissed off even though the protest is not affecting them in any way?

Users who are viewing this thread