What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (3 Viewers)

drummer, can I ask a question without an autoschtick reply?Is there any type of game CK can have vs Atlanta to make you second guess if he was the right decision?

drummer, can I ask a question without an autoschtick reply?Is there any type of game CK can have vs Atlanta to make you second guess if he was the right decision?
Obviously you don't understand Drummers history with Smith. Drummer was bashing Harbaugh last season for sticking with Smith when there were better options such as McNabb available. He continued to bash Smiths poor play on a weekly basis as the 49ers won 13 games & won their division. Smith then had very little to do with beating the Saints & everything do do with losing to the Giants. The 49ers lost the NFC Championship game on a fluke turnover & Drummer had been miserable all season #####ing & moaning about Smith. It's funny to hear him patting Harbaugh on the back for making the tough QB decisions this year, when last year he complained endlessly on Harbaughs tough decision to go with Smith as the teams best option. Go 49ers!

Last edited by a moderator:
drummer, can I ask a question without an autoschtick reply?

Is there any type of game CK can have vs Atlanta to make you second guess if he was the right decision?
To the bolded: kinda KYOA here with your redundeschtick. As far as second guessing: I think you're the only one left outside of thehornet who are second guessing the move. I guess the 49er Webzone ain't enough for ya to chew on, so you bring that over here.

Kaep is the starting QB for the 49ers. That's it. Now you can go root for another team.

Obviously you don't understand Drummers history with Smith. Drummer was bashing Harbaugh last season for sticking with Smith when there were better options such as McNabb available. He continued to bash Smiths poor play on a weekly basis as the 49ers won 13 games & won their division. Smith then had very little to do with beating the Saints & everything do do with losing to the Giants. The 49ers lost the NFC Championship game on a fluke turnover & Drummer had been miserable all season #####ing & moaning about Smith. It's funny to hear him patting Harbaugh on the back for making the tough QB decisions this year, when last year he complained endlessly on Harbaughs tough decision to go with Smith as the teams best option. Go 49ers!
You wanna know the very definition of internet stalker? Right here with mcd. Harbaugh won 13 games with Nolan's key players and with defense, along with Singletary's 2 draft picks in the first round of 2010. I have posted many a stat and still post many reasons and such that have shown this. The ones who post stuff like mcd has here are the ones who cannot refute any of what I have posted.These guys are the reason why I never say "we" when it comes to the 49ers.

A 49ers/Giants fan? Seriously?
San Francisco. #### the football team.
Oh good. Never mind. Couldn't fathom rooting for two NFC teams. Or two teams at all.
Good thing to know you're not JT the Brick.
I looked him up, and I'm still shuked.
JT the Brick was and is a NY Football Giants fan who gravy trained the Raiders and became one of Al Davis' lapdogs in order to get a job with them. So he roots for two football teams.
Ah, thanks.

Hahahaha, well this explains a lot.

Hahahaha, well this explains a lot.
This explains it all

I really don't like the 9ers and hate for it to be true, but kudos on finding an obviously super-talented QB and a great coach.That was amazing.Also: The pro game is changing. What happened to "this is a passing league." The QB position is looking to become more run oriented than any time since the 1940's if this keeps up.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
I really don't like the 9ers and hate for it to be true, but kudos on finding an obviously super-talented QB and a great coach.That was amazing.Also: The pro game is changing. What happened to "this is a passing league." The QB position is looking to become more run oriented than any time since the 1940's if this keeps up.
Kaep this last game threw for almost twice his attempts (31) than his rushing (16), but that was due to the game plan with the read option vs. GB. Harbaugh is still gonna try to make Kaep more of a pure passer from the pocket, but he can also switch a gear with Kaep.

'drummer said:
'tjnc09 said:

Is there any type of game CK can have vs Atlanta to make you second guess if he was the right decision?
To the bolded: kinda KYOA here with your redundeschtick. As far as second guessing: I think you're the only one left outside of thehornet who are second guessing the move. I guess the 49er Webzone ain't enough for ya to chew on, so you bring that over here.

Kaep is the starting QB for the 49ers. That's it. Now you can go root for another team.
:lmao:

'drummer said:
'tjnc09 said:

:lmao:
:banned:

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
Harbaugh is the kind of coach that bends his offense to put his players in the best position to win. If the Niners were lucky enough to get Luck, Harbaugh would not be running the pistol, and we'd all be extolling the virtues of a pocket passer.

The thing about Kaepernick that cannot be understated is how much better he is this year. WTH did his accuracy come from?? The offseason reports were middling, at best, then out of nowhere he beasts in the second preseason game, and hasn't slowed down since. Who developed and coached this guy? That is the coach that should get a huge contract - a QB whisperer.

The thing about Kaepernick that cannot be understated is how much better he is this year. WTH did his accuracy come from?? The offseason reports were middling, at best, then out of nowhere he beasts in the second preseason game, and hasn't slowed down since. Who developed and coached this guy? That is the coach that should get a huge contract - a QB whisperer.
It's Geep Chryst, who if Roman leaves for an HC job will probably take over as OC. So you don't want him to leave of you're a 49er fan.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
Harbaugh is the kind of coach that bends his offense to put his players in the best position to win. If the Niners were lucky enough to get Luck, Harbaugh would not be running the pistol, and we'd all be extolling the virtues of a pocket passer.
:goodposting:

It's Geep Chryst, who if Roman leaves for an HC job will probably take over as OC. So you don't want him to leave of you're a 49er fan.
Wow, no, I don't. Not knowing anything else about him, he is a genius for his work on Kaepernick.

He has played well but before we give him his SB ring, lets see him play a game on the road. Green Bay couldn't beat Minnesota in a must win game on the road and they didn't look good against Minny. Green Bay just hasn't been the same team in years past. Atlanta isn't the greatest 1 seed ever, but they have played solid and have all the pieces in place for a SB run. I was surprised at the accuracy of the 49ers QB but will have to see him do it on the road and stepping up in class a bit. Should be a good game.

He has played well but before we give him his SB ring, lets see him play a game on the road. Green Bay couldn't beat Minnesota in a must win game on the road and they didn't look good against Minny. Green Bay just hasn't been the same team in years past. Atlanta isn't the greatest 1 seed ever, but they have played solid and have all the pieces in place for a SB run. I was surprised at the accuracy of the 49ers QB but will have to see him do it on the road and stepping up in class a bit. Should be a good game.
You must have missed the NE game a few weeks ago? SEA was undefeated at home this season so I don't think a probowl team would have won there :semi-sarcasm:And not sure what you mean about the class comment? I assume you're referring to the taunting penalty? That's inexperience (not classless). Talking junk is all part of the game. Remove the spike part of the exchange and you'd have a normal exchange between a WR and DB :shrug:

He has played well but before we give him his SB ring, lets see him play a game on the road.
I'm assuming you mean a playoff game. Because he won against New Orleans and New England on the road, both difficult environments.

I admit he looked lost at Seattle, but that's the only time he hasn't been composed all year. Impressive, if you ask me. I'm not worried about him at Atlanta. Sure, anything can happen, but he's not going to go apoplectic or anything like that.

Wow, no, I don't. Not knowing anything else about him, he is a genius for his work on Kaepernick.
He also worked with Smith last season too. So that's another QB who he has done wonders for.ETA: yeah, it took a Chryst to do that. ;)

'tjnc09 said:
There isn't. Nor could Alex Smith play any stretch of games good enough to convince drummer otherwise.That said, he had the balls to call his shot early on, stood by his arguments, researched the stats to back it up, and generally (so far) has been right. You don't have to be a fan of the delivery, but the content's been pretty pointed.

'tjnc09 said:
There isn't. Nor could Alex Smith play any stretch of games good enough to convince drummer otherwise.That said, he had the balls to call his shot early on, stood by his arguments, researched the stats to back it up, and generally (so far) has been right. You don't have to be a fan of the delivery, but the content's been pretty pointed.
Thank you very much for this post. My delivery may be Ray Ratto like, but from my experience talking Smith, QBs or any 49er football on message boards or blogs, I found that my delivery has to have a distinct purpose to just cut through the hyperbole, hype, as well as purposed arguments just for the sake of one. I'm just posting what is the obvious. I think I've proven my knowledge of the team to the point where it serves everyone here, and I hate to have to defend it all the time.

'tjnc09 said:
drummer could be a pretty good poster if he weren't always looking to pick fights and could learn to be respectful. He's been right on a lot. And wrong on a lot. Like most of the SF regulars who post around these parts. :shrug:

'tjnc09 said:
drummer could be a pretty good poster if he weren't always looking to pick fights and could learn to be respectful. He's been right on a lot. And wrong on a lot. Like most of the SF regulars who post around these parts. :shrug:
I don't have to learn anything. I don't pick fights either. I don't go around and tell other posters not to debate or listen to another poster. I am a poster who had brought more to this thread than the OP, to the point that this thread is always about me instead of the subject because maybe my posts are just that good. Now you, the OP, is falling back into that trap again, and I ain't setting it. All I have been doing in this thread is try to keep the focus on Kaep, even with all of the Smith fans trying to take it away from it. You ain't helping it at all.

I'm doing what you should be doing in this thread, which is post about Kaep. You should thank me for doing all your heavy lifting here.

Now, back to the actual subject of this thread:

Forbes article on Kaep

All it took was one playoff game against the Green Bay Packers for quarterback Colin Kaepernick of the San Francisco 49ers to become a household name across the United States. Kaepernick, who is inked in tattoos and is now known for kissing his biceps (referred to as “Kaepernicking”), threw for 263 yards and 2 touchdowns, but more impressively picked up another 181 yards with his legs for another 2 touchdowns, leading his team to a victory against the Packers.

The playoff win was business-as-usual for Kaepernick, who formally became the 49ers starting quarterback in the middle of the 2012 NFL season after Alex Smith was sidelined with an injury. He has not relinquished the starting role since given the opportunity to lead the 49ers. His accomplishments are praised and his star is growing, but Kaepernick has not “sold out.” Off the field, he has remained low key (by design), which will not be changing any time soon.

“With Colin, in particular, we have purposefully laid low,” explained Shawn M. Smith, PR & Marketing Directing for X-A-M Sports and the marketing agent for Colin Kaepernick. ”We could have done some smaller partnerships last year, but we didn’t want to put ourselves in a position that would take us out of opportunities for this year.”

Smith and her client decided to take the long-term approach and not jump into any partnerships that may include short-term gains at the potential expense of building a worthwhile long-term portfolio. Further, the duo remains committed to only associating Kaepernick with companies, goods and services that meet specific requirements. ”If it’s not directly related to what he’s doing, he’s not super ambitious to be a part of it – he has no interest in doing a big campaign or being on a big billboard,” added Smith. ”I have to move him out of that sometimes, because he’s just football. There are some players who really like to talk about all those other opportunities off the field and really get excited about them, but he’s really not interested in that. His only focus is on football.”

Smith understands that her job is to balance Kaepernick’s desire to remain dedicated to his sport with an interest in growing and protecting his brand. ”Colin knows that I will give him options, but I tell him it’s his business, and if I feel strongly on something, then he will do it.”

Kaepernick has some existing off-field relationships, including a deal with Nike to wear product on the field. He has also taken advantage of booking private signings and selling game worn gear, but as for the longer-term endorsement opportunities, the QB and his representatives will wait. However, Kaepernick and his agent will be in New Orleans for the Super Bowl no matter if the 49ers are scheduled to play or not. His marketing agent says that she will wait until then to establish many relationships with corporate executives.

Whether Kaepernick and his agent desire the receipt of pitches, they are constantly coming, and much more frequently since the win against Green Bay. ”If I am counting memorabilia offers, appearances and product endorsement opportunities, I have received close to 20 offers [for Kaepernick] since the Green Bay game,” said Smith. ”None have been accepted at this point.” Smith does envision Kaepernick eventually associating with companies in particular categories, including a headphone manufacturer, men’s grooming company and an apparel entity. Although, Smith admits that those categories are probably what every other starting quarterback is looking for, as well.

After San Francisco’s 45-31 win over the Packers, Kaepernick told the media, “I don’t want to be categorized.” That was in response to the question of whether he wants to be known as a passer or runner. The same answer could be said regarding the quarterback’s brand outside of the field. His marketing agent explained it this way: “He doesn’t want to do the traditional – what everybody thinks he is supposed to do. He has made that evident with his tattoos and taking part in events that he wants to take part in.”

Shawn Smith believes that her client has done everything right by showing what he can do, unleashing his talent on Sundays and keeping his nose to the grindstone. He has no known skeletons in his closet, appears to have a charming personality and as a result, has a very wide-open slate of opportunities ahead of him.

Meanwhile, Kaepernick and his team of advisors have begun to protect his intellectual property and build his online presence. They have started the process for trademarking the term “Kaepernicking,” along with “Colin Kaepernick,” “Kap7,” and “Kap.” Why the absence of an “e” in the final two applications? Supposedly, that is how Kaepernick has been spelling the shortened nickname his whole life, which his college (Nevada) adopted, as well.

Additionally, CKaepernick7.com is currently under construction. Kaepernick’s agent attempted to acquire ColinKaepernick.com, but the domain owner was asking for $17,000, which led to the determination that the URL is not a necessity at the moment. Smith says she currently has no interest in suing to obtain the rights to the domain name and that she is just focusing on the positives for the time being. Luckily for Smith, there are a lot of positive things for her to be concerned with.
ETA: this settles the nickname thingy too.

'drummer said:
'tjnc09 said:
You wanna know the very definition of internet stalker? Right here with mcd. Harbaugh won 13 games with Nolan's key players and with defense, along with Singletary's 2 draft picks in the first round of 2010. I have posted many a stat and still post many reasons and such that have shown this. The ones who post stuff like mcd has here are the ones who cannot refute any of what I have posted.These guys are the reason why I never say "we" when it comes to the 49ers.
Sorry Drummer, I've actually had you on ignore the whole season. The only time I notice you is when you are quoted & lashing out at posters that disagree with your opinions. I'm not sure what going off on a roll about Nolan & Singletary's players has to do with my post, which you did nothing to refute in your reply. It needed to be said that you were never really on the Kaep bandwagon, but just against the QB that had led the team to a 13-3 record the year before. As a 49er fan, who really enjoyed the Harbaugh led turnaround, it was pathetic to listen to a supposed fan gripe & complain after every win. As you tell others, why don't you find yourself another team.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
:goodposting:
Yeah, Harbaugh is a genius. He invented a system that made Alex Smith look great, with simplified passing trees and easy-to-execute read options. Then he turned the whole team around in a week to run the pistol under Kaepernick. Totally able to work with whatever personnel he's given.

Drummer is the Dennis Miller of 49er fans. I think he knows the names of every person that has worked in the orginization for the past 30 years from top brass to equipment managers, and isn't afraid to reference them.That's not a knock on ya, Drummer. Just saying sometimes I feel like I dont know the team half as well as I think I do when I read your posts. :bag:And to whoever it was that asked if Kaep has a bad game against Atlanta if I'd second guess Harbaughs decision - not at all. This is a different team with Kaep at the helm, and he will only get better, which is bad news for the rest of the NFL. :banned:

I had heard the opposite during the offseason. I remember telling a fellow 9er fan that I had read that Kaep was progressing wayyy ahead of schedule, and when he had that good preseason game I got pretty excited about his future. That was about the time I started to believe that he could beat out Alex going into the 2013 season - I figured if Harbaugh worked that much magic in his first full offseason with Kaep, there was no reason to think he wouldn't be ready by 2013. I guess I underestimated the guru a bit and the rest is history.

'drummer said:
'tjnc09 said:
Sorry Drummer, I've actually had you on ignore the whole season. The only time I notice you is when you are quoted & lashing out at posters that disagree with your opinions. I'm not sure what going off on a roll about Nolan & Singletary's players has to do with my post, which you did nothing to refute in your reply. It needed to be said that you were never really on the Kaep bandwagon, but just against the QB that had led the team to a 13-3 record the year before. As a 49er fan, who really enjoyed the Harbaugh led turnaround, it was pathetic to listen to a supposed fan gripe & complain after every win. As you tell others, why don't you find yourself another team.
"I had a dream that a hamburger was eating ME!" - Jerry Seinfeld.

Purdy from the San Jo Merc on Kap vs. ATL

SANTA CLARA -- I always hate to use technical football jargon. But I must do so in trying to explain the problems that 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick will pose for the Atlanta Falcons this Sunday:

He's going to drive them nutty like the dickens.

I also hate to go out on a limb. All right, that's not true. I do it all the time. And my feeling about Kaepernick is this: The Falcons could not be a better matchup for him, given the alternative.

Conventional wisdom says otherwise. Conventional wisdom says the 49ers should prefer playing at home in the NFC title game. That would have happened had Seattle held on to beat Atlanta over the weekend. Instead, the Falcons pulled it out with a field goal with 8 seconds remaining. Thus, the 49ers are traveling to the Georgia Dome, where it will be loud and difficult.

But so what? Coach Jim Harbaugh, of all people, said it best Monday. Harbaugh was his usual guarded self during his Monday media session. But when someone noted that the 49ers had struggled a bit on the road in domes this season, Harbaugh stated the obvious eloquently.

"We'll have crowd noise," Harbaugh acknowledged. "But the big task will be the Atlanta Falcons and preparing for them."

Exactly. And the reverse is equally true. The Falcons' big task will be preparing for the 49ers. And with the way Kaepernick has emerged -- especially as a postseason factor -- there will be complications for Atlanta.

During his eight games as a starting quarterback, Kaepernick has climbed the status ladder from "Cute New Toy" to "Dangerous Tool" to "Holy Cow, What The Heck Is That?" It's pretty much where he stands right now after his 16 rushing attempts for 181 yards against Green Bay. Kaepernick also passed for 263 yards. His legs were still the trending topic.

Seattle, as a division opponent, has seen those legs before and overcome them. The Falcons have done neither. It means something.

Atlanta has played other running quarterbacks with varying results. Atlanta will watch Kaepernick on tape, and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will develop a plan to stop him. But until defenders get on the field and have to deal with the uniqueness of Kaepernick's size and long-limbed acceleration, it's not quite the same. Green Bay safety Charles Woodson is one of the NFL's best. But even he took the wrong angle by misjudging Kaepernick's speed while trying and failing to prevent his 56-yard touchdown dash Saturday.

Greg Roman, the 49ers offensive coordinator who will surely be a head coach somewhere in the NFL next season, stood in the locker room late Saturday and did not want to reveal too much about the special plays installed for Kaepernick.

Roman did utter that quote, however, about holding an ace card and "waiting for the right time to pull it out."

And why would the 49ers not expose Kaepernick's speed as much before this? Two reasons:

1. Kaepernick's resume in the NFL is still slight. But he owns an extensive one from his college years as a four-year starter at Nevada. If you examine the resume, you'll notice that in general, college opponents did better against Kaepernick the second time or third time they saw him.

Example: As a freshman against Boise State's Broncos, he rushed 14 times for 177 yards. As a sophomore against Boise, he was held to 70 yards in 16 carries. And as a junior, Kaepernick gained only 31 yards on 16 carries against the Broncos. Nevada lost all three games.

As a college senior, Kaepernick finally beat Boise State even though he was held to 45 yards in 10 carries, because he threw for 259 yards and finished the game with a 120.2 passer rating. That's a good sign for the 49ers' future. But right now, we're talking about the problems of a defense seeing Kaepernick for the first time vs. the second or third time. They are considerable.

2. There's no way Kaepernick would have carried the ball so many times in the regular season because no NFL team wants to expose its quarterback to injury and lose him for the rest of the season and playoffs. But now, there is no reason to hold back. For two or three games, he can be turned loose.

Kaepernick had just 14 true "rushes" in the Packers game. The last two were kneel-down plays at game's end. But that's still five more carries than he had during any previous start as a 49er. And now, there's no guarantee he won't carry it more against the Falcons.

Again, conventional wisdom says that's still the wrong thing to do. For years and years, the NFL tried to convert running quarterbacks into pocket quarterbacks. Like some other coaching staffs around the league, Harbaugh and his coaches saw what they had in Kaepernick and rolled the dice. They're doubling down in the playoffs. It surely helps that Alex Smith is waiting in the wings if Kaepernick does get hurt.

"There are some quarterback-driven runs that have been added because our quarterbacks are very good at those, and Colin especially," Harbaugh said Monday. "It's already noted that he's very fast. He's very good at reading and executing that type of offense. So, that's the reason."

It's also why conventional wisdom, in several respects, is having a very bad season. I don't see that changing Sunday in the Georgia Dome.

'tjnc09 said:
I don't have to learn anything. I don't pick fights either. I don't go around and tell other posters not to debate or listen to another poster. I am a poster who had brought more to this thread than the OP, to the point that this thread is always about me instead of the subject because maybe my posts are just that good. Now you, the OP, is falling back into that trap again, and I ain't setting it. All I have been doing in this thread is try to keep the focus on Kaep, even with all of the Smith fans trying to take it away from it. You ain't helping it at all.

I'm doing what you should be doing in this thread, which is post about Kaep. You should thank me for doing all your heavy lifting here.
:rofl: at your sense of entitlement. If I had known I was joining a cult, I would have stopped at the store beforehand to buy my Nikes and applesauce.I simply asked a question about next week. It shouldn't be that hard to write "nothing will" but apparently it is.

'tjnc09 said:
That's all he had to say. Thanks for providing an example of how it can be done.

'tjnc09 said:
That's all he had to say. Thanks for providing an example of how it can be done.
What he is saying is that if you knew how to read a thread, you wouldn't have to ask the question.

'tjnc09 said:

:rofl: at your sense of entitlement. If I had known I was joining a cult, I would have stopped at the store beforehand to buy my Nikes and applesauce.I simply asked a question about next week. It shouldn't be that hard to write "nothing will" but apparently it is.
Don't forget the milk and cookies for thehornet.

I'm happy to be wrong. The stat sheet isn't overwhelming (209 yds), but I'm surprised he didn't have more yards than that. It takes a special player to lead a team to the Super Bowl. But he did it down 17-0 on the road. He played a nearly flawless game. Despite two slow starts in the playoffs, he remained unphased and won both.Whether or not Smith could have done it this year, who knows, but Kaepernick just did it. Even though Ryan had more yards, CK played a better game than him. Ryan had the two turnovers (doesn't matter that SF didn't score off of them) but still had several other questionable throws (the softball to Rodgers in the flat and lob pass deep ball to Jones come to mind). So, congrats, I was wrong but let's hope he has one more spectacular performance left for this season. :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread