What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (2 Viewers)

One more reason to love Andrew Luck

For Jim Harbaugh, it was love at first flight – of the football.

All it took to convince the rookie NFL coach that Colin Kaepernick just might be the 49ers‘ quarterback of the future was a little game of catch. Or burnout.

It happened in the spring of 2011, between the NFL scouting combine and the draft. Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke road-tripped to Reno to check out this Kaepernick kid. They hadn’t met him at the combine and Harbaugh was very curious.

Many experts were super-cool on Kaepernick as an NFL prospect, but Harbaugh had heard a few reports that sounded almost like Bigfoot sightings, and he was intrigued.

Harbaugh’s interest in Kaepernick started at least a year earlier.

Before Kaepernick’s senior year at Nevada he wrangled an invitation to the Manning Passing Academy near New Orleans. The top college quarterbacks are invited and courted by the Mannings (Archie, Peyton and Eli), who roll out the red carpet. Ostensibly, the college hotshots come as “counselors” for the high school kids, but it’s really an NFL showcase for the big guns. Andrew Luck and Terrelle Pryor were headliners that summer.

Kaepernick had to beg his way in. He had to apply and then have Nevada coach Chris Ault write a letter of recommendation.

According to one post-camp blog post on CBSsports.com, “Kaepernick surprised some with his velocity. … Kaepernick is well known for his (college) production … but is viewed by many scouts as a product of Chris Ault’s ‘pistol’ offense.”

If the scouts weren’t impressed, Luck apparently was. He and Kaepernick became pals, and when Luck returned to Stanford, Harbaugh asked him if he’d seen anyone who looked good.

Oh yeah, Luck said. Colin Kaepernick.

Andrew Luck: the Bay Area gift that keeps on giving.

In picking Luck’s brain, was Harbaugh thinking and plotting ahead one year, to when he might be an NFL coach for a team in need of a good young quarterback? Who knows?

Fast forward to the following spring. Harbaugh gets the 49ers’ job, decides Alex Smith will be his quarterback for the present, but what about the future?

That’s when Harbaugh and Baalke head to Reno.

Harbaugh’s M.O. is uber-enthusiasm. Whether he’s meeting a blue-chip prep recruit or a potential 49ers’ draftee, Harbaugh doesn’t do tea and crumpets. He wants to skip the chit-chat and get dirty.

He’s been known to drag a high school kid from his living room and out to the driveway hoop for a spirited one-on-one.

Harbaugh and Kaepernick talked for a while, but Harbaugh wanted to see the skinny kid throw, so they hit the field.

After Kaepernick tossed some passes to Baalke, running routes, Harbaugh threw down the gauntlet.

“I think the first thing that came to mind was, well, number one, the energy he brought,” Kaepernick said later, recalling their first meeting. “He was running all over the field with me, throwing the football around. From the get-go it was just a competition out there, we’re going to see who can throw the most perfect spirals to each other. And then we’re going to see who can be the most accurate throwing through the goalposts from different spots.”

If you think either man was casual about the little games they were playing, you don’t know them.

Harbaugh never plays a game to lose. His over-the-top competitiveness in pick-up basketball games is legendary. For him, there is only one level of competition.

Same with Kaepernick, who was known in high school, seriously, as a hellacious competitor in lunchtime four-square games.

They went at it.

Asked later about their playdate, Harbaugh said that once he got out there, he was just having fun tossing the old rock around, and that Kaepernick seemed to be in the same spirit.

What’s more likely is that Harbaugh – who had already watched a ton of video on Kaepernick, and knew well his college stats and exploits, and knew that many experts were cool on Kaepernick, considering him a small-time, gimmick-offense stat monster – was intrigued and was ready to push all the scouting bull corn aside and make his own judgment.

There’s no way Kaepernick treated the tryout casually. He knew every throw that day might determine whether he’d ever get a legitimate shot at his dream, a chance to play quarterback in the NFL.

After their friendly duel to the death, Harbaugh briefly thanked Kaepernick, jumped into the car with Baalke, and sped away. Harbaugh sometimes dispenses with flowery social graces (ditto Baalke).

A friend asked Kaepernick how the meeting with Harbaugh went.

“I think I pissed him off,” Kaepernick said.

Maybe he did. Maybe that’s why Harbaugh decided this was the guy for the 49ers.

After their friendly duel to the death, Harbaugh briefly thanked Kaepernick, jumped into the car with Baalke, and sped away. Harbaugh sometimes dispenses with flowery social graces (ditto Baalke).A friend asked Kaepernick how the meeting with Harbaugh went.“I think I pissed him off,” Kaepernick said.Maybe he did. Maybe that’s why Harbaugh decided this was the guy for the 49ers.
:thumbup: :lmao:

For Jim Harbaugh, it was love at first flight – of the football.

All it took to convince the rookie NFL coach that Colin Kaepernick just might be the 49ers‘ quarterback of the future was a little game of catch. Or burnout.

It happened in the spring of 2011, between the NFL scouting combine and the draft. Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke road-tripped to Reno to check out this Kaepernick kid. They hadn’t met him at the combine and Harbaugh was very curious.

Many experts were super-cool on Kaepernick as an NFL prospect, but Harbaugh had heard a few reports that sounded almost like Bigfoot sightings, and he was intrigued.

Harbaugh’s interest in Kaepernick started at least a year earlier.

Before Kaepernick’s senior year at Nevada he wrangled an invitation to the Manning Passing Academy near New Orleans. The top college quarterbacks are invited and courted by the Mannings (Archie, Peyton and Eli), who roll out the red carpet. Ostensibly, the college hotshots come as “counselors” for the high school kids, but it’s really an NFL showcase for the big guns. Andrew Luck and Terrelle Pryor were headliners that summer.

Kaepernick had to beg his way in. He had to apply and then have Nevada coach Chris Ault write a letter of recommendation.

According to one post-camp blog post on CBSsports.com, “Kaepernick surprised some with his velocity. … Kaepernick is well known for his (college) production … but is viewed by many scouts as a product of Chris Ault’s ‘pistol’ offense.”

If the scouts weren’t impressed, Luck apparently was. He and Kaepernick became pals, and when Luck returned to Stanford, Harbaugh asked him if he’d seen anyone who looked good.

Oh yeah, Luck said. Colin Kaepernick.

Andrew Luck: the Bay Area gift that keeps on giving.

In picking Luck’s brain, was Harbaugh thinking and plotting ahead one year, to when he might be an NFL coach for a team in need of a good young quarterback? Who knows?

Fast forward to the following spring. Harbaugh gets the 49ers’ job, decides Alex Smith will be his quarterback for the present, but what about the future?

That’s when Harbaugh and Baalke head to Reno.

Harbaugh’s M.O. is uber-enthusiasm. Whether he’s meeting a blue-chip prep recruit or a potential 49ers’ draftee, Harbaugh doesn’t do tea and crumpets. He wants to skip the chit-chat and get dirty.

He’s been known to drag a high school kid from his living room and out to the driveway hoop for a spirited one-on-one.

Harbaugh and Kaepernick talked for a while, but Harbaugh wanted to see the skinny kid throw, so they hit the field.

After Kaepernick tossed some passes to Baalke, running routes, Harbaugh threw down the gauntlet.

“I think the first thing that came to mind was, well, number one, the energy he brought,” Kaepernick said later, recalling their first meeting. “He was running all over the field with me, throwing the football around. From the get-go it was just a competition out there, we’re going to see who can throw the most perfect spirals to each other. And then we’re going to see who can be the most accurate throwing through the goalposts from different spots.”

If you think either man was casual about the little games they were playing, you don’t know them.

Harbaugh never plays a game to lose. His over-the-top competitiveness in pick-up basketball games is legendary. For him, there is only one level of competition.

Same with Kaepernick, who was known in high school, seriously, as a hellacious competitor in lunchtime four-square games.

They went at it.

Asked later about their playdate, Harbaugh said that once he got out there, he was just having fun tossing the old rock around, and that Kaepernick seemed to be in the same spirit.

What’s more likely is that Harbaugh – who had already watched a ton of video on Kaepernick, and knew well his college stats and exploits, and knew that many experts were cool on Kaepernick, considering him a small-time, gimmick-offense stat monster – was intrigued and was ready to push all the scouting bull corn aside and make his own judgment.

There’s no way Kaepernick treated the tryout casually. He knew every throw that day might determine whether he’d ever get a legitimate shot at his dream, a chance to play quarterback in the NFL.

After their friendly duel to the death, Harbaugh briefly thanked Kaepernick, jumped into the car with Baalke, and sped away. Harbaugh sometimes dispenses with flowery social graces (ditto Baalke).

A friend asked Kaepernick how the meeting with Harbaugh went.

“I think I pissed him off,” Kaepernick said.

Maybe he did. Maybe that’s why Harbaugh decided this was the guy for the 49ers.
Very cool story.

The more I read and learn about Kaepernick, the bigger fan I become. I couldn't be any happier I grabbed him as a FA before he was brought into the spotlight. Not sure the passing attempts will always be there, but it sure seems Harbaugh will do his best to keep Kaepernick busy. Kaepernick seems like the kind of FF QB who just generates and oozes points.

The Guardian UK on the Super Bowl matchup

I'm just quoting the Kaep specific stuff here, but overall it's a pretty good read as a whole.

Just like the Ravens offense, not a huge can be learned from the 49ers' regular season statistics. With Alex Smith starting the first 10 games of the year, the 49ers not only had a different quarterback under center, but also a less aggressive offense as a whole and a completely different schematic approach. Having replaced Smith with second year professional Colin Kaepernick, the 49ers offense went from a conservative unit working hard to adequately complement a dominant defense, to an offense that has all the capabilities of blowing out an opponent.

Kaepernick barely played as a rookie and has only started nine games this season. In fact, outside of two quarterbacks forced to start because of injury, Jeff Hostetler and Vince Ferragamo, Kaepernick has the fewest starts of any quarterback to start in Super Bowl history. Theoretically, Kaepernick's inexperience should work against him in this game. However, his track record says otherwise. Kaepernick made his debut in Week 11 of the regular season in a convincing victory over one of the best defenses in the league, the Chicago Bears, on Monday Night Football. A few weeks later, he made his Sunday Night Football debut against the New England Patriots in Foxboro. Kaepernick threw for four touchdowns and had the game wrapped up by the end of the third quarter. He did make a nervous start to his playoff debut, throwing an interception on his first drive against the Green Bay Packers, but after that he led his offense to a 45 point day with four total touchdowns and over 400 total yards. In the NFC Championship game, the Atlanta Falcons sold out to stop Kaepernick from running and keep him in the pocket. By doing that they allowed the rest of the 49ers offense to produce, before Kaepernick threw the offense to a comeback victory in the second half.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What makes the 49ers offense so dangerous, is that even if the Ravens successfully stop the run, Kaepernick has proven capable of connecting with his receivers consistently from the pocket. During the regular season, Kaepernick completed over 62% of his passes for 1,814 yards, with 10 touchdowns and only three interceptions. In the last two playoff games, he has further improved to 63.5%, 496 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. The 49ers may have lost explosive wide receiver Mario Manningham to injury earlier in the season, but Michael Crabtree emerged into a star receiver when Kaepernick came into the offense, a 35-year-old Randy Moss has made a number of receptions in the playoffs and tight end Vernon Davis awoke in the playoffs after slumbering through the regular season.
:banned:

Exactly how has he had a bad game? Remember the pick 6will in GB and the aftermath. Another stupid bump RN.

Kaep played a pretty good game considering. All haters can go jump off a friggin bridge. We have one of the most exciting, talented, young QBs in the NFL today.He will help SF get some rings in the future. :banned: :banned:

Kaep played a pretty good game considering. All haters can go jump off a friggin bridge. We have one of the most exciting, talented, young QBs in the NFL today.

He will help SF get some rings in the future.

:banned: :banned:
I dig the kid and all, but... some rings? Plural?

I think the Niners and Seahawks have an excellent chance to be in this game next year. The Pack, too, if they can get their defense straightened out. Getting playoff games at Century Link Field is ridiculously important to Seattle. They are nasty at home. That division should be fun again.

Maybe hang on to Alex, after all. :unsure:
Jeebus, did you try to win a Skrubs contest on that ##### board again?
Not as far as you know. :football:
Lulz
But I did manage to get a poster I've never seen before in my life to call me a ####### dork.So it wasn't a total loss.
Hey man, mcd did that to me in this thread. Ya gotta be careful dude. I'm sure Huell Howser got many an email because he didn't tell them how bad Mono Lake really smells.

Lulz
But I did manage to get a poster I've never seen before in my life to call me a ####### dork.So it wasn't a total loss.
What can I say, I don't strive to be noticed on this board. Congrats to you.....big guy! :thumbsup:

Lulz
What can I say, I don't strive to be noticed on this board. Congrats to you.....big guy! :thumbsup:
Well, guess what. You're in luck, champ. :thumbup:

Over 10 yards a passing attempt on 28 passing attempts and over 8 yards a carry on 7 carries, had one bad INT but all in all a pretty damn good game.

Over 10 yards a passing attempt on 28 passing attempts and over 8 yards a carry on 7 carries, had one bad INT but all in all a pretty damn good game.
Hell yeah. He made some great throws and almost led a great comeback. The 49ers overall lost the TOP and TO game, as well as the ST's game. They lost on all phases with the exception of the QB, which Flacco was better, and was just a bit more clutch. Hell, I am selling Flacco short. He was fantastic. I may be sad the 49ers lost this game - as at the same time not as sad because I hate the Yorks - but I love Kaep. John Harbaugh and Flacco were just better, and major props to Flacco. I knew some throws before they were released would make big plays for BAL. That's all on Flacco. Congrats!

Kaep made some "rookie" mistakes, but showed a ton of moxie leading his team all the way back. Bottom line is that he got his team within one yard of winning the Super Bowl, and only a great red zone stand (and a questionable uncalled end zone hold of Crabtree) kept him from winning a Super Bowl in his tenth friggin' start.

The kid's got enormous potential as an NFL and fantasy QB. Actually as a Kaep dynasty owner and not a 49ers fan, I'm glad he didn't win last night. Otherwise, he might have just coasted a bit next year with Super Bowl hangover. Now you know he's going to come out next year even more fired up.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has to learn how to manage the play clock and avoid delay penalties and usueless timeouts. Those 2 wasted timeouts really came back to haunt them.

Kaep made some "rookie" mistakes, but showed a ton of moxie leading his team all the way back. Bottom line is that he got his team within one yard of winning the Super Bowl, and only a great red zone stand (and a questionable uncalled end zone hold of Crabtree) kept him from winning a Super Bowl in his tenth friggin' start.

The kid's got enormous potential as an NFL and fantasy QB. Actually as a Kaep dynasty owner and not a 49ers fan, I'm glad he didn't win last night. Otherwise, he might have just coasted a bit next year with Super Bowl hangover. Now you know he's going to come out next year even more fired up.
Biggest mistake I made in my keeper league was dropping SF QB pre-Kaep starting. Give him one more WR and he will pistol-whip most defenses next year.

the loss is on the defense and special teams. the first two possessions SF had two bad penalties. One killed their first drive which gave BAL great field position. The second turned what would have been a FG try into a TD. Horrible way to start. The 109 yard kickoff return to start the second half hurt too I am hoping to get Kap in my league next year. Guy is legit and will only get better which is scary. They need another WR though. Get Moss off the team and get somebody young and hungry.

Lots of things went wrong for the Niners last night and they still almost won the game. Kaepernick has a few growing pains to suffer yet but he was as scary as any QB the Ravens faced all season. Flacco has a gun, Kaepernick a howitzer.

I think if Kaep takes the kind of progressive steps you often see QBs take between their first and second starting year, he is going to be a very fun FF QB to own going forward (and the Niners a very formidable team). I believe he just needs to learn to read defenses and take what is there. Nothing else really. And I would think his HC will help get him there. He might be the type of Qb who, next year, has a FF season very similar to RG III.

And they would've been 11 yards away without a questionable uncalled push off on Crabtree. He's got a lot of potential, but the way he played in a lot of the game showed how/why the reports of his dominance were premature. He has a lot of seasoning to go through before he can be dominant. Next year he won't be such an unknown and teams will be better prepared, he needs to be better prepared. As the #1 going into camp, he should have all the time he needs to improve, if he has the room for it in his noggin. He's a smart guy, but who knows how he'll handle the pressure.

Flacco has a gun, Kaepernick a howitzer.
:goodposting: I want this kid on my fantasy team next year. He can make tough throws and his arm is elite in the NFL. Plus he can scramble and is fast. He'll be hungry next year and more prepared for what he'll face with the experience he got this year. Barring injury I think this kid is a top 5 QB in the NFL very soon.

Just amazing watching some of the throws he made last night, what a cannon. His inexperience still shows but you've got to think he has a bright career ahead of him.

Kaepernick has a bright future ahead of him. SF fans should be thrilled with him, and that Harbaugh made the bold move to him from Smith. That said, I have noticed that he seems to wait for receivers to get open before delivering passes (and I think Simms mentioned this during game). Right now, he isn't anticipating a receiver to be open or hitting a spot, and instead has to see them open. Despite this issue, his arm strength really helps him get the ball to an open recveiver in a hurry and sort of makes up for his lack of anticpation on this front. Between his arm strength and running ability, he has a deadly set of skills that is being well-utilized by Harbaugh and Roman. -My two cents.

Kaepernick has a bright future ahead of him. SF fans should be thrilled with him, and that Harbaugh made the bold move to him from Smith. That said, I have noticed that he seems to wait for receivers to get open before delivering passes (and I think Simms mentioned this during game). Right now, he isn't anticipating a receiver to be open or hitting a spot, and instead has to see them open. Despite this issue, his arm strength really helps him get the ball to an open recveiver in a hurry and sort of makes up for his lack of anticpation on this front. Between his arm strength and running ability, he has a deadly set of skills that is being well-utilized by Harbaugh and Roman. -My two cents.
I distinctly remember a few throws downfield where he was hitting guys in windows, not just focusing on one receiver and waiting for him to get open.He's a work in progress but he can make any throw and create time in/out of the pocket. He's a nightmare for opposing DB's.

I distinctly remember a few throws downfield where he was hitting guys in windows, not just focusing on one receiver and waiting for him to get open.He's a work in progress but he can make any throw and create time in/out of the pocket. He's a nightmare for opposing DB's.
Fair enough. To be clear, I don't mean to imply he can't squeeze passes into tight windows on occasion. Dude has a cannon, he can definitely do that at times. But I see him doing that (on occasion) largely based on superior arm strength vs. anticipation, and typically he appears to wait for a receiver to break open before firing off a pass. -IMO, his arm strength helps him make up for what I see as a lack of antipation and throwing to spots etc. But admittedly, he is a young QB and growing by leaps and bounds, so he seems likely to improve on this front going forward. I like Kaepernick as a QB in his current system. Great for SF and bad news for their opposition.

Kaepernick made some rookie mistakes (I know he's really not a rookie) but I didn't expect him to be this good this soon. He might actually be a bigger star than RG3 or Luck in the next 5 years...

And they would've been 11 yards away without a questionable uncalled push off on Crabtree. He's got a lot of potential, but the way he played in a lot of the game showed how/why the reports of his dominance were premature. He has a lot of seasoning to go through before he can be dominant. Next year he won't be such an unknown and teams will be better prepared, he needs to be better prepared. As the #1 going into camp, he should have all the time he needs to improve, if he has the room for it in his noggin. He's a smart guy, but who knows how he'll handle the pressure.
Seemed to me like Crabtree attempted to push off because he was already being held. Kaepernick played more than well enough to win the Superbowl in just his 10th start, and he was also spectacular in his prior 2 post-season stats. His final post-season stats were

61.3% CMP, 798 passing yards, 9.98 YPA, 4 passing TDs, 2 INT, and he added 264 yards rushing on 25 attempts (10.6 YPC), and another 3 rushing TDs.

So imo, any report by the media saying Kaepernick is dominant is more accurate than any report saying he isn't.

'Time Kibitzer said:
'mad sweeney said:
'zamboni said:

Seemed to me like Crabtree attempted to push off because he was already being held. Kaepernick played more than well enough to win the Superbowl in just his 10th start, and he was also spectacular in his prior 2 post-season stats. His final post-season stats were

61.3% CMP, 798 passing yards, 9.98 YPA, 4 passing TDs, 2 INT, and he added 264 yards rushing on 25 attempts (10.6 YPC), and another 3 rushing TDs.

So imo, any report by the media saying Kaepernick is dominant is more accurate than any report saying he isn't.
You're thinking of a different play. I'm talking about an incompletion on 2nd down. We'll see next year. His stat line for yesterday was actually more impressive than it seemed while watching the game. Now that DCs have a much better sampling of his skill set, he won't be surprising anyone anymore (not that Seattle had even a minute problem with him).

'Time Kibitzer said:
'mad sweeney said:
'zamboni said:

You're thinking of a different play. I'm talking about an incompletion on 2nd down. We'll see next year. His stat line for yesterday was actually more impressive than it seemed while watching the game. Now that DCs have a much better sampling of his skill set, he won't be surprising anyone anymore (not that Seattle had even a minute problem with him).
Does that also apply to Russell Wilson?

Users who are viewing this thread