What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (7 Viewers)

Kaepernick made some rookie mistakes (I know he's really not a rookie) but I didn't expect him to be this good this soon. He might actually be a bigger star than RG3 or Luck in the next 5 years...
There are a lot of fantastic young QBs right now.Kaepernick, Wilson, RG3, Luck, Newton, and Dalton all have room to grow and improve. All could make big noise in the next 5 years.

Kaepernick made some rookie mistakes (I know he's really not a rookie) but I didn't expect him to be this good this soon. He might actually be a bigger star than RG3 or Luck in the next 5 years...
There are a lot of fantastic young QBs right now.Kaepernick, Wilson, RG3, Luck, Newton, and Dalton all have room to grow and improve. All could make big noise in the next 5 years.
"One of these things is not like the others"

"One of these things is not like the others"
I think Dalton belongs in that list. He's not the same style as the others, but I think he's gonna be a good one.

'Dr. Octopus said:
'Time Kibitzer said:
Kaep made some "rookie" mistakes, but showed a ton of moxie leading his team all the way back. Bottom line is that he got his team within one yard of winning the Super Bowl, and only a great red zone stand (and a questionable uncalled end zone hold of Crabtree) kept him from winning a Super Bowl in his tenth friggin' start.

The kid's got enormous potential as an NFL and fantasy QB. Actually as a Kaep dynasty owner and not a 49ers fan, I'm glad he didn't win last night. Otherwise, he might have just coasted a bit next year with Super Bowl hangover. Now you know he's going to come out next year even more fired up.
And they would've been 11 yards away without a questionable uncalled push off on Crabtree. He's got a lot of potential, but the way he played in a lot of the game showed how/why the reports of his dominance were premature. He has a lot of seasoning to go through before he can be dominant. Next year he won't be such an unknown and teams will be better prepared, he needs to be better prepared. As the #1 going into camp, he should have all the time he needs to improve, if he has the room for it in his noggin. He's a smart guy, but who knows how he'll handle the pressure.
Seemed to me like Crabtree attempted to push off because he was already being held. Kaepernick played more than well enough to win the Superbowl in just his 10th start, and he was also spectacular in his prior 2 post-season stats. His final post-season stats were

61.3% CMP, 798 passing yards, 9.98 YPA, 4 passing TDs, 2 INT, and he added 264 yards rushing on 25 attempts (10.6 YPC), and another 3 rushing TDs.

So imo, any report by the media saying Kaepernick is dominant is more accurate than any report saying he isn't.
You're thinking of a different play. I'm talking about an incompletion on 2nd down. We'll see next year. His stat line for yesterday was actually more impressive than it seemed while watching the game. Now that DCs have a much better sampling of his skill set, he won't be surprising anyone anymore (not that Seattle had even a minute problem with him).
Does that also apply to Russell Wilson?
:goodposting: ETA: Well, this is Kaep's thread after all... Besides, teams can have as much tape as they want on someone, the great ones overcome it. We'll find out in 7 short months...

Last edited by a moderator:
'Dr. Octopus said:
'Time Kibitzer said:
Kaep made some "rookie" mistakes, but showed a ton of moxie leading his team all the way back. Bottom line is that he got his team within one yard of winning the Super Bowl, and only a great red zone stand (and a questionable uncalled end zone hold of Crabtree) kept him from winning a Super Bowl in his tenth friggin' start.

The kid's got enormous potential as an NFL and fantasy QB. Actually as a Kaep dynasty owner and not a 49ers fan, I'm glad he didn't win last night. Otherwise, he might have just coasted a bit next year with Super Bowl hangover. Now you know he's going to come out next year even more fired up.
And they would've been 11 yards away without a questionable uncalled push off on Crabtree. He's got a lot of potential, but the way he played in a lot of the game showed how/why the reports of his dominance were premature. He has a lot of seasoning to go through before he can be dominant. Next year he won't be such an unknown and teams will be better prepared, he needs to be better prepared. As the #1 going into camp, he should have all the time he needs to improve, if he has the room for it in his noggin. He's a smart guy, but who knows how he'll handle the pressure.
Seemed to me like Crabtree attempted to push off because he was already being held. Kaepernick played more than well enough to win the Superbowl in just his 10th start, and he was also spectacular in his prior 2 post-season stats. His final post-season stats were

61.3% CMP, 798 passing yards, 9.98 YPA, 4 passing TDs, 2 INT, and he added 264 yards rushing on 25 attempts (10.6 YPC), and another 3 rushing TDs.

So imo, any report by the media saying Kaepernick is dominant is more accurate than any report saying he isn't.
You're thinking of a different play. I'm talking about an incompletion on 2nd down. We'll see next year. His stat line for yesterday was actually more impressive than it seemed while watching the game. Now that DCs have a much better sampling of his skill set, he won't be surprising anyone anymore (not that Seattle had even a minute problem with him).
What do you think?

We'll see next year. His stat line for yesterday was actually more impressive than it seemed while watching the game. Now that DCs have a much better sampling of his skill set, he won't be surprising anyone anymore (not that Seattle had even a minute problem with him).
I think there's some basis to this. At the same time, I think a dual threat QB by definition will have an advantage over a single-threat QB. Time will tell how much that advantage is.One thing to keep in mind is that with a full offseason knowing that Kaepernick will be the starter in the fall, the coaches can draft and build skills around him to complement his own. It should be an interesting 2013 season.

We'll see next year. His stat line for yesterday was actually more impressive than it seemed while watching the game. Now that DCs have a much better sampling of his skill set, he won't be surprising anyone anymore (not that Seattle had even a minute problem with him).
I think there's some basis to this. At the same time, I think a dual threat QB by definition will have an advantage over a single-threat QB. Time will tell how much that advantage is.One thing to keep in mind is that with a full offseason knowing that Kaepernick will be the starter in the fall, the coaches can draft and build skills around him to complement his own.
This is the big thing to remember. This season he was thrown into the fire without the benefit of having a full offseason to work with his WRs, etc. Harbaugh will tailor the offense, playbook, and personnel completely around Kaep and his abilities.Just think about that for a second. Not only will Kaep have an entire offseason as the starter to progress, but the 49ers coaching staff will have a full offseason with Kaep as the starter. We all know about Harbaughs GURU status when it comes to QBs, and now he has his own hand picked guy to work with for an entire offseason.

It should be an interesting 2013 season.
To say the least. :thumbup:

'Dr. Octopus said:
'Time Kibitzer said:

What do you think?
I think it's just something that people say as if it's valid, when in reality it's not. Do you have any examples of QBs that failed in their second seasons after successful rookie seasons because opposing DCs had them figured out?

'Dr. Octopus said:
'Time Kibitzer said:

What do you think?
I think it's just something that people say as if it's valid, when in reality it's not. Do you have any examples of QBs that failed in their second seasons after successful rookie seasons because opposing DCs had them figured out?
There are a lot of examples of QB's who regressed their 2nd year but I don't agree with the 'figured them out' claim - except maybe for Vince Young.

'Dr. Octopus said:
'Time Kibitzer said:

What do you think?
There are a lot of examples of QB's who regressed their 2nd year but I don't agree with the 'figured them out' claim - except maybe for Vince Young.
I agree that some do regress in their second year and maybe Kaep and/or Wilson will, but like you say it won't be because they were figured out (if not in theory all QBs would). I probably wouldn't even agree with Young being "figured out" as he was more just a headcase - but perhaps due to his inconsistent (to be nice) passing skills you may be right on that.

What do you think?
I agree that some do regress in their second year and maybe Kaep and/or Wilson will, but like you say it won't be because they were figured out (if not in theory all QBs would). I probably wouldn't even agree with Young being "figured out" as he was more just a headcase - but perhaps due to his inconsistent (to be nice) passing skills you may be right on that.
Its game planning more than figuring out. He was an unknown quantity for much of the season. The more tape there is of a player, obviously the more Ds can study. I'd say of the two, Kaep will struggle more with Ds adjusting to him because Wilson is better at progressions. A lot of people have mentioned how he's not the greatest at anticipating open WRs and uses his ultimate cannon to overcome that.

What do you think?
Its game planning more than figuring out. He was an unknown quantity for much of the season. The more tape there is of a player, obviously the more Ds can study. I'd say of the two, Kaep will struggle more with Ds adjusting to him because Wilson is better at progressions. A lot of people have mentioned how he's not the greatest at anticipating open WRs and uses his ultimate cannon to overcome that.
Kaep seemed to really lock onto Crabtree and VD. With the exception of the Saints and Seahawks he completed ~60% of his passes to them.

And they would've been 11 yards away without a questionable uncalled push off on Crabtree.

He's got a lot of potential, but the way he played in a lot of the game showed how/why the reports of his dominance were premature. He has a lot of seasoning to go through before he can be dominant. Next year he won't be such an unknown and teams will be better prepared, he needs to be better prepared. As the #1 going into camp, he should have all the time he needs to improve, if he has the room for it in his noggin. He's a smart guy, but who knows how he'll handle the pressure.

What do you think?
Kaep seemed to really lock onto Crabtree and VD. With the exception of the Saints and Seahawks he completed ~60% of his passes to them.
He also had great chemistry with Manningham and Williams before they went down with injuries.

True, On that last goalline attempt on third down, he didn't even see a wide open Delanie Walker in the endzone.

True, On that last goalline attempt on third down, he didn't even see a wide open Delanie Walker in the endzone.
Was Walker the WR on Crabtree's side, but in the end zone? If so, he was not wide open. He only looked open when the tackle was made on Crabtree because the DB on Walker came off of him as soon as the pass was thrown to Crabtree to help make the tackle and not let him score.

Was Walker the WR on Crabtree's side, but in the end zone? If so, he was not wide open. He only looked open when the tackle was made on Crabtree because the DB on Walker came off of him as soon as the pass was thrown to Crabtree to help make the tackle and not let him score.
Check it again. Walker comes off wide open because Corey Graham correctly assumes that the ball is going to Crabtree. Kaep has not yet decided to throw the ball as Graham is coming towards Crabtree and leaving Walker. Walker turns around at goal line with no one within a few feet of him but Kaep has already locked on to Crabtree at the 5. If Kaep recognizes that, easy TD, but instead he has already decided to throw it to Crabtree before the play begins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've become a Kaep supporter, so take this for whatever you want... Greg Cosell this morning on KNBR (Podcast at http://www.knbr.com/...php?page_id=341) said, point blank, that for all the second guessing of the play calls, it was Kaepernick who missed open players on 2nd and 3rd down.

I'm sure this will spark some debate... whatever. it was his 10th start, I'm not concerned long-term.

Check it again. Walker comes off wide open because Corey Graham correctly assumes that the ball is going to Crabtree. Kaep has not yet decided to throw the ball as Graham is coming towards Crabtree and leaving Walker. Walker turns around at goal line with no one within a few feet of him but Kaep has already locked on to Crabtree at the 5. If Kaep recognizes that, easy TD, but instead he has already decided to throw it to Crabtree before the play begins.
I disagree. When Kaepernick's arm is going back to throw, that is when the DB goes away from Walker. Sure, it is easy to say Kaepernick could have pulled it back and then thrown to Walker, but in that time span, the DB could have then covered Walker again. It's like Atlanta's 4th down failure against SF. Some insisted that Gonzalez was open, but he was only open once the pass to Roddy fell incomplete.

I disagree. When Kaepernick's arm is going back to throw, that is when the DB goes away from Walker. Sure, it is easy to say Kaepernick could have pulled it back and then thrown to Walker, but in that time span, the DB could have then covered Walker again. It's like Atlanta's 4th down failure against SF. Some insisted that Gonzalez was open, but he was only open once the pass to Roddy fell incomplete.
The DB is already heading towards Crabtree before Kaep brings his arm back. It's possible that if Kaep takes his eyes off Crabtree and looked Walker that he could have came back but it happened so fast I think it's unlikely.

Bump. Kaep now armed for 2013 with Gore in the backfield, Crabtree and Boldin at WR, and VD at TE. Sprinkle in possibly a little LaMichael James here and there.

I wouldnt sleep on AJ Jenkins either. Near elite metrics and a full year to learn. I think the 49ers might be the team to beat over the next several years.

As an AJ owner, I wish he could 'metrics' his way into getting open and catching the ball, on occasion.
He barely played last season. Harbaugh was grooming him just like with Kaep and LaMike. Be patient.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Not even being active most games to being groomed is reaching here.
That's true, but it's hard to deny his upside with his physical abilities. I'm hoping that he sees a lot more action this year.

As an AJ owner, I wish he could 'metrics' his way into getting open and catching the ball, on occasion.
He barely played last season. Harbaugh was grooming him just like with Kaep and LaMike. Be patient.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Not even being active most games to being groomed is reaching here.
That's true, but it's hard to deny his upside with his physical abilities. I'm hoping that he sees a lot more action this year.
Yeah but the early reports from last season camp was that he wasn't prepared well, and/or had questionable work ethics. He would had seen some play if he was in shape or ready for at least some snaps, especially since the injuries to Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham would had given him a shot to play. Bottom line is, he wasn't 'being groomed' like the poster is saying.

great research above, but really all you need to do is watch the games. Kaep shouldn't be starting and outside of a couple nice plays in a couple games, he doesn't really look like he is going to be a good starter in the NFL. But hey, at least Alex Smith isn't starting anymore :rolleyes:
I am SO gonna bump this post next season.Kaeperflash (for an easy search to find this post)
:blackdot: There ya go.
hi
With Davis out, his only legit receiver today was Boldin (Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Quinton Patton and Vance McDonald were his other options). Not too many QBs gonna look good with that bunch to throw to.

great research above, but really all you need to do is watch the games. Kaep shouldn't be starting and outside of a couple nice plays in a couple games, he doesn't really look like he is going to be a good starter in the NFL. But hey, at least Alex Smith isn't starting anymore :rolleyes:
I am SO gonna bump this post next season.Kaeperflash (for an easy search to find this post)
hi
With Davis out, his only legit receiver today was Boldin (Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Quinton Patton and Vance McDonald were his other options). Not too many QBs gonna look good with that bunch to throw to.
Who's Brady throwing to these days?

hi
You pull out all kinds of weird cards.

hi
Do you comprehend what "not too many QBs " means? It means there may be one or two that could be okay with that bunch...but nobody here would be dumb enough to compare Kaep to Brady...right?

hi
Until the Pats play a legit team, the jury is still out on them. Are they a good team? No clue.

hi
If Kaepernick and the Niners want to be considered elite, they can't get smothered like they have the last two weeks. I know you get mad when people poke holes in your excuses. They had VD last week and he was a non factor even before he got sand in his vajayjay.

hi
If Kaepernick and the Niners want to be considered elite, they can't get smothered like they have the last two weeks. I know you get mad when people poke holes in your excuses. They had VD last week and he was a non factor even before he got sand in his vajayjay.
The only person who is upset is you. Of course, you don't realize it.

hi
Do you comprehend what "not too many QBs " means? It means there may be one or two that could be okay with that bunch...but nobody here would be dumb enough to compare Kaep to Brady...right?
I do comprehend it. The Niners and Kaep are supposed to be elite. If his WRs are weak, then Kaep needs to be better, but he's not.

hi
The only person who is upset is you. Of course, you don't realize it.
:lmao: The words mental and midget keep running through my head when I read your posts.

Users who are viewing this thread