Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

says the guy who is on an internet politics forum while the game is on saying he doesnt want to be bothered by political stuff during the game take that to the bank bromigos 

John Chavez‏ @jchavezfbnm 4h4 hours ago Replying to @realDonaldTrump "Thinking NFL players are 'protesting the flag' is like thinking Rosa Parks was protesting public transportation."

I'm quoting you here, but I am not really directing this at you, since I believe you have no ability to take yourself out of your shoes. But for a second, try to imagine being a black person who has g

On 4/4/2018 at 0:15 PM, Da Guru said:

Saw a recent interview with RGIII and the guy has his head on straight.  Said he was going to keep working hard, forget about the past, and keep his mouth shut and hope he gets a chance to get back in the NFL.  Good for him as he got his chance. Plus he is still young enough.

Sure he does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Saw the Detroit Free Press had a Should Lions Have Signed Kaepernick article, made me glad I canceled my subscription 

This is exactly why teams don`t want the distraction.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Texans decided that kaepernick had a substandard arm That is why they didnt want him according to the owner. 

Greg Rajan‏ @GregRajan 10h10 hours ago

Most disturbing take from the Bob McNair WSJ story may be that #Texans coaches allegedly didn't like how Colin Kaepernick threw the ball, but were copacetic with Tom Savage being their starter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

It is pretty shocking that Savage has apparently leaped frogged over Deshaun Watson as the starter.  

Good to have you back. Pretending not to understand the past tense is the sort of dedication to the troll game these young guns lack.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, squistion said:

Greg Rajan‏ @GregRajan 10h10 hours ago

Most disturbing take from the Bob McNair WSJ story may be that #Texans coaches allegedly didn't like how Colin Kaepernick threw the ball, but were copacetic with Tom Savage being their starter.

Are you saying the CK is a better passer than Savage? Because I'm not buying it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Good to have you back. Pretending not to understand the past tense is the sort of dedication to the troll game these young guns lack.

Posting tweets is still the king of trolling activity on this forum.  Nothing better than posting the most inflammatory statements you can find on the internet, only later to deny responsible for saying that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jon_mx said:

Posting tweets is still the king of trolling activity on this forum.  Nothing better than posting the most inflammatory statements you can find on the internet, only later to deny responsible for saying that. 

See, this is art. The two sentences have nothing to do with each other, I'm really not sure what the second sentence means, and none of it appears to be responsive to my light-hearted crack on you missing the fact that everyone was discussing the Texans' QB decisions last season, not going forward.

New guys, this is how you do it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Posting tweets is still the king of trolling activity on this forum.  Nothing better than posting the most inflammatory statements you can find on the internet, only later to deny responsible for saying that. 

Posting a tweet that expresses the opinion that Kaep is a better QB than Savage is hardly among the most inflammatory statements you can find on the internet (if that triggered you, then you have much larger issues than concern over who is the Houston backup QB)

Oh, and I agree 100% with the opinion expressed, so I am not denying responsibility for posting that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, squistion said:

Posting a tweet that expresses the opinion that Kaep is a better QB than Savage is hardly among the most inflammatory statements you can find on the internet (if that triggered you, then you have much larger issues than concern over who is the Houston backup QB)

Oh, and I agree 100% with the opinion expressed, so I am not denying responsibility for posting that.

But you have posted 4000 of them...we get it. Every angle has been covered 100 times. I think at this point can we all just wait and see what happens?

 

Hello???

Edited by Da Guru
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TobiasFunke said:

Good to have you back. Pretending not to understand the past tense is the sort of dedication to the troll game these young guns lack.

Maybe you should get a better understanding then.

Savage made $690K to be Watson's backup.  Sure, O'Brien started the year with Savage until Watson was ready to play but they paid a high price to get Watson and everyone knew he was going to start sooner rather than later, which turned out to be Game 2.  Was Kaepernick willing to work as a backup for only $690K?  Rumor had it last year someone was interested in him but he wanted too much money to be a backup.  

You probably knew all of this though and are just here to troll jon yourself.  Carry on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Colin Kaepernick Retweeted

KnowYourRightsCamp‏ @yourrightscamp 2h2 hours ago

WOW... via #nydailynews:

The sheriff of a California county with an outsized number of police shootings once said that it was “better financially" to kill suspects than wound them. Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood was looking for an endorsement...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhZo2V2BS4a/

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-deposes-colin-kaepernick-grievance-battle-141658183.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=tw

NFL deposes Colin Kaepernick in grievance battle

After weeks of sitting for depositions in the Colin Kaepernick collusion complaint, the NFL’s powerbrokers will finally get some of their own questions answered as the league’s lawyers are set to depose the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback on Tuesday in New York.

It’s the first witness the NFL has deposed in Kaepernick’s complaint, marking a significant moment in the proceedings. It’s unknown what information the league will be seeking, although a league source familiar with the complaint said the NFL is likely to concentrate on Kaepernick’s mental outlook once he entered free agency in March of 2017, and whether he corrupted his free-agent market through a series of factors relating to football skills, contract expectations and motivation to play.

Among the inquiries that are believed to be on the agenda for NFL lawyers in some form or fashion:

• Whether Kaepernick expected to be signed as a starter once he opted out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers.

• What salary demands he or his representation had in mind early in free agency.

• Whether Kaepernick’s capacity to play diminished due to past injuries.

• How Kaepernick related to coaches or teammates while playing for the 49ers.

• Whether Kaepernick expressed a willingness to continue his professional football career anywhere outside of the NFL.

• Perhaps most pressing (and obvious), whether Kaepernick has ever discovered or been presented with tangible proof that NFL teams or executives sought to eliminate him from playing in the league again.

The deposition is expected to last several hours, and could dive into instances where Kaepernick appeared to make negative proclamations about law enforcement on social media or during practices, such as his wearing of the now infamous pigs in police hats socks during training camp in 2016. Essentially, the league’s lawyers are expected to walk Kaepernick down a path suggesting how he (and not NFL employees or owners) tangibly tainted his value across the league as a quarterback and/or teammate.

While his appearance before the league’s lawyers is a significant marker in the collusion case, a source familiar with the proceedings said it doesn’t signal that an end is near. Indeed, a multitude of league executives, owners and team personnel remain on a deposition list that could stretch far into the summer or beyond, making it conceivable that the collusion complaint could drag into 2019.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 6m

After arranging for Colin Kaepernick to work out for the Seahawks this week, Seattle postponed the trip when the quarterback declined to stop kneeling during the national anthem next season, league sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/984483763882283009

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, squistion said:

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 6m

After arranging for Colin Kaepernick to work out for the Seahawks this week, Seattle postponed the trip when the quarterback declined to stop kneeling during the national anthem next season, league sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/984483763882283009

Meanwhile, the Seahawks' starting DE, Frank Clark, is a convicted felon who also was arrested for domestic violence after the felony conviction (pleaded down to disorderly conduct) and subsequently lashed out on twitter at a writer who wrote an article about it, saying "People like you don’t have long careers in your field. I have a job for you cleaning my fish tank when that lil job is ova @natalieweiner”

 

Anyone who is OK with having that guy on their team but not Colin Kaepernick is a pretty terrible human being.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, B-Deep said:

lol at RG3 being a better QB prospect then Kaep

 

 

 

Not about being a prospect.  They wanted a veteran backup to fit in.  Kappy distraction, Cornball no distraction.  Plus he took a non-guaranteed 1 million dollar deal with no bonus. Very low pay for a vet backup.  Case Keenem made 3 million when he was signed as a backup to Bradford last year.

Edited by Da Guru
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Meanwhile, the Seahawks' starting DE, Frank Clark, is a convicted felon who also was arrested for domestic violence after the felony conviction (pleaded down to disorderly conduct) and subsequently lashed out on twitter at a writer who wrote an article about it, saying "People like you don’t have long careers in your field. I have a job for you cleaning my fish tank when that lil job is ova @natalieweiner”

 

Anyone who is OK with having that guy on their team but not Colin Kaepernick is a pretty terrible human being.

They also released Trevone Boykin two weeks ago for beating his girlfriend.  If a player isn't talented enough, they won't have a job in the NFL.  It's very simple. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Not about being a prospect.  They wanted a veteran backup to fit in.  Kappy distraction, Cornball no distraction.  Plus he took a non-guaranteed 1 million dollar deal with no bonus. Very low pay for a vet backup.  Case Keenem made 3 million when he was signed as a backup to Bradford last year.

IT is not about the money as they did not bring Kaep in.

 

And I think there's a whole lot of people who would argue RG3 was a HUGE distraction to the team in Washington. Kaep has never been a distraction to his team.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Underachievers said:

It's just schtick for him now.   If he really wanted to play he would stop with the lame distractions.

from MLK's mouth to your keyboard.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

They also released Trevone Boykin two weeks ago for beating his girlfriend.  If a player isn't talented enough, they won't have a job in the NFL.  It's very simple. 

Except that the story to which I was replying specifically said they were going to bring Kaepernick in for a workout, but chose not to because he said he'd keep kneeling.  In other words they felt his talent warranted an evaluation but then changed their mind due solely to issues unrelated to his play.

I'm not sure if a willingness to tolerate Clark on your team but not Kaepernick is a Seahawks problem, a fan problem (essentially forcing the Seahawks' hand) or a combination of the two. I just know it's stupid and reflects poorly on the NFL community.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, squistion said:

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 6m

After arranging for Colin Kaepernick to work out for the Seahawks this week, Seattle postponed the trip when the quarterback declined to stop kneeling during the national anthem next season, league sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/984483763882283009

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 31m31 minutes ago

The #Seahawks did postpone a tentatively scheduled workout with Colin Kaepernick, as @AdamSchefter reported. It was not because he said he declined to stop kneeling, tho. The team asked for his plan moving forward on how to handle everything and there was not a firm plan.

#Seahawks brass, John Schneider and Pete Carroll, want Colin Kaepernick to consider how he wants to proceed on everything (not just anthem) and get together at a later date when his plans are formed. Clearly, Seattle has accepted players speaking out for what they believe.

Edited by squistion
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, squistion said:

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 31m31 minutes ago

The #Seahawks did postpone a tentatively scheduled workout with Colin Kaepernick, as @AdamSchefter reported. It was not because he said he declined to stop kneeling, tho. The team asked for his plan moving forward on how to handle everything and there was not a firm plan.

#Seahawks brass, John Schneider and Pete Carroll, want Colin Kaepernick to consider how he wants to proceed on everything (not just anthem) and get together at a later date when his plans are formed. Clearly, Seattle has accepted players speaking out for what they believe.

Much better :thumbup:

Schefter has a much better record for accuracy than Rapoport, but Rapoport's report makes a lot more sense here and I assume is correct.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Underachievers said:

Right?   I distinctly remember him kneeling for the national anthem before each game.   Martin Luther King absolutely detested police officers.

You could say that, from MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech, August 28, 1963:

Quote

There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?" We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

 

Edited by squistion
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Underachievers said:

Right?   I distinctly remember him kneeling for the national anthem before each game.   Martin Luther King absolutely detested police officers.

He was all ab out just shutting up about inequality and collecting a paycheck.

 

pretty much what he is known for.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Much better :thumbup:

Schefter has a much better record for accuracy than Rapoport, but Rapoport's report makes a lot more sense here and I assume is correct.

Charles Robinson from Yahoo doubled down on Schefter's report just a few minutes ago. 

This is obviously a huge topic and has people on all sides ready to fire. It would be kinda nice if reporters didn't treat stuff like this as "scoop" and followed more conventional reporting practices. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Underachievers said:

Right?   I distinctly remember him kneeling for the national anthem before each game.   Martin Luther King absolutely detested police officers.

"I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow cells. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive."

"There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, 'When will you be satisfied?' We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. "

-Martin Luther King, Jr., both quotes from his "I Have a Dream" speech

Conservatives have invented a fictional version of MLK so they can pretend he wouldn't be fighting them tooth and nail if he were alive today. It's a bizarre phenomenon.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.”

 

yeah, i am sure THAT guy would side with the NFL owners and want Kaep to shut up and play football

 

 

Edited by B-Deep
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe this is even being discussed at this point. The answer now is the same as the answer last year at this time.  Kaepernick is simply nothing special and teams don't feel his positive contributions will equal out the negatives of his distraction. Owners would sign the Boston Marathon Bomber if they thought he could help their football team. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Much better :thumbup:

Schefter has a much better record for accuracy than Rapoport, but Rapoport's report makes a lot more sense here and I assume is correct.

I agree.

We have competing versions of what happened and Rapoport's account makes more sense to me too, since if continuing to knell in itself was the deal breaker, they could have inquired about that through his agent before they scheduled the tentative workout. And Kaep has said indirectly (on Twitter) that he intends to continue to knell (in the form of disputing reports last year that he had told potential suitors that he would stand during the anthem).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

I can't believe this is even being discussed at this point. The answer now is the same as the answer last year at this time.  Kaepernick is simply nothing special and teams don't feel his positive contributions will equal out the negatives of his distraction. Owners would sign the Boston Marathon Bomber if they thought he could help their football team. 

The "distraction" argument is nonsense as it relates to player performance, see eg the 2017 Philadelphia Eagles. 

If you're referring to the fact that teams don't want the headache of dealing with fan reaction to signing him, I'd say that is a problem worth discussing considering the sort of behavior fans are willing to tolerate from other merely decent players like Frank Clark.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

I can't believe this is even being discussed at this point. The answer now is the same as the answer last year at this time.  Kaepernick is simply nothing special and teams don't feel his positive contributions will equal out the negatives of his distraction. Owners would sign the Boston Marathon Bomber if they thought he could help their football team. 

I am sure Joe Webb will help the Texans win

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

but hey, we are just talking about a backup QB job. It is not like a backup QB can win games or anything...right Philly?

 

 

I am sure Eric Reed and Kaep are just not good football players anymore.  Adrian Peterson beat his kids nuts bloody with a stick, but at least he did not offend the sensibilities of the owners by protesting oppression. So sign him up! His skills have not eroded.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Underachievers said:

Right?   I distinctly remember him kneeling for the national anthem before each game.   Martin Luther King absolutely detested police officers.

Everybody detests them...that is until we need one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

The "distraction" argument is nonsense as it relates to player performance, see eg the 2017 Philadelphia Eagles. 

If you're referring to the fact that teams don't want the headache of dealing with fan reaction to signing him, I'd say that is a problem worth discussing considering the sort of behavior fans are willing to tolerate from other merely decent players like Frank Clark.

Reporters are never going to interview Clark after practive everyday and report on Clarks every move.  Chris Carter has said it a number of times..teams do not want a backup QB to be the focus. With Kappy it would.  It is not hard to understand.   Sure he is good enough to be a #2..but teams feel he is not worth it.  That is their right.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...