What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (3 Viewers)

We probably discussed it at the time and I'm forgetting, but what is your defense of him doing the work out in a slave T-shirt. That doesn't feel ingenuous or drama-free to me.
It appears that was his commentary on what he really thought of this farce of a workout. If the NFL had been serious about it, they would have given him some sort of advance notice, but they didn't.  And he was not given the option to postpone or reschedule it for a later date.

If you want to play, who cares what NFL intentions were. You use the opportunity to get a shot instead of wearing a slave shirt and moving the workout so many can't attend. You don't thumb your nose at them, call out the owners for being scared, and then wonder why no one wants you.
If you don't think they were serious, why waste yours and everyone else's time and go out of your way to show the drama that comes with you?
It hurts the credibility of claims that he really wants to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
squistion said:
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1274832988203675649

Brett Favre says Colin Kaepernick's willingness to leave his NFL career to fight for social justice reminds him of Pat Tillman's ultimate sacrifice ... and now, he's telling TMZ Sports he thinks both will be remembered as heroes.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/21/brett-favre-colin-kaepernick-pat-tillman-nfl-protest/
Brett Favre @BrettFavre 16h

Including Pat Tillman’s name in the interview on Colin Kaepernick was not a comparison of the two, but a recognition that they both sidelined their football dreams in pursuit of a cause. Pat tragically lost his life, making the ultimate sacrifice, and deserves the highest honor.

https://twitter.com/BrettFavre/status/1275206284112023553

Brett been hit in the head one to many times.
Makes me want to vomit he would mention them in the same breath. Tillman chose to leave to fight for his country. The other idiot wasnt signed because he is terrible and chooses to @@@@ on this country. 

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/49ers-fly-black-lives-matter-flag-at-levis-stadium/2314149/

49ers Fly Black Lives Matter Flag at Levi's Stadium

The San Francisco 49ers are showing their support for the Black Lives Matter movement by flying a flag featuring the BLM slogan at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara.

The flag is lined up next to the California state flag and the American flag.

Both players and executives from the organization have been vocal in their support of the fight against systemic racism and police brutality in recent weeks. 49ers CEO Jed York pledged a $1 million donation to groups working for social change, while wide receiver Kendrick Bourne spoke at a Black Lives Matter rally in the Bay Area.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 52s

From NFL Now:

#Lions new owner Sheila Ford Hamp said she would support the signing of Colin Kaepernick if the football people signed off on it. Detroit already has a fully stocked QB room, but the more owners that support Kap, the more likely it is he gets signed.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1275847663653617667 (video clip at link)
Beat me to it. Martha(her mom and previous owner) stepped down yesterday, and since she's 94, that makes sense. As a Lions fan, I appreciate what Sheila is doing(I don't know if Kaep still has the talent after missing the past 4 years, but nothing ventured, it's not like the Lions have anybody decent behind Stafford), and she's actually following a lead Martha set a few years ago. Back when Trump antagonized the entire NFL, Martha spoke to the team and said if everyone shows unity during the anthem, anyone who came to her with a cause they supported, she would put both her name and money behind it to help them out.

So considering another poster mentioned this thread has an PR and identity problem, I decided to post a few links a couple weeks ago of what Kap was kneeling and trying to bring awareness to. Have a few more:

Valdosta Police sued in excessive force case - VIDEO

Port City Daily: Fired Wilmington cop: “We are just going to go out and start slaughtering them f—— ni—–. I can’t wait. God, I can’t wait.”

In fairness, the 2nd link doesn't have to do with police brutality per se, but the undercurrent of bias that runs thought a lot of these cases of brutality. 

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 52s

From NFL Now:

#Lions new owner Sheila Ford Hamp said she would support the signing of Colin Kaepernick if the football people signed off on it. Detroit already has a fully stocked QB room, but the more owners that support Kap, the more likely it is he gets signed.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1275847663653617667 (video clip at link)
Beat me to it. Martha(her mom and previous owner) stepped down yesterday, and since she's 94, that makes sense. As a Lions fan, I appreciate what Sheila is doing(I don't know if Kaep still has the talent after missing the past 4 years, but nothing ventured, it's not like the Lions have anybody decent behind Stafford), and she's actually following a lead Martha set a few years ago. Back when Trump antagonized the entire NFL, Martha spoke to the team and said if everyone shows unity during the anthem, anyone who came to her with a cause they supported, she would put both her name and money behind it to help them out.
What's to support?  It is almost like these people are admitting there was a blackball agreement to prevent him from playing.

I wish a team would publicly say they want to bring in Kaep as a third QB and scout team QB To potentially sign him to a league minimum contract (maybe with some incentives) if he wanted to come work out / try out. That way we could get a better sense of how eager he is to play. If he says  no dice or suggests that is beneath him, then we would have a lot more to go on in terms of where things stand. 

I wish a team would publicly say they want to bring in Kaep as a third QB and scout team QB To potentially sign him to a league minimum contract (maybe with some incentives) if he wanted to come work out / try out. That way we could get a better sense of how eager he is to play. If he says  no dice or suggests that is beneath him, then we would have a lot more to go on in terms of where things stand. 
Sounds like a good idea in theory, but then the media would crush that team for “disrespecting” him with such an offer and probably also accuse the NFL of suggesting teams make him lowball offers. 

Sounds like a good idea in theory, but then the media would crush that team for “disrespecting” him with such an offer and probably also accuse the NFL of suggesting teams make him lowball offers. 
What do Drew Stanton, Josh McCown, Trevor Siemian, Matt Moore, Brandon Allen, Cody Kessler, and Blake Bortles all have in common? They are all unemployed QB's that have started and won more NFL games than Kaepernick has since 2016. And that's leaving off Cam Newton, who certainly would deserve an NFL roster sport before CK. I left off DeShone Kizer, as he went 0-15 one season in CLE.

Fans and the media can spout whatever they want, but the fact of the matter is Kaepernick hasn't played in 4 years, will be 33, and things didn't turn out well for the Niners in games that he started in 2015-16 (3-17 in those games . . . even if Kaep wasn't totally the reason they couldn't win). Leaving out everything else involving CK, the X's and O's reflect that latching on somewhere buried on the depth chart is the best he could hope for all this time later.

IMO, the league needs to get ahead of things and get TEAM X to make a half-hearted invitation for him to try out (even if they don't really want to) and spin it that they would have signed him for X dollars and he said no or his skills had diminished and they liked what they had better. All the pillow talk from people saying they should have signed him, we aren't opposed to considering him, we'll add him to our emergency contact list, etc. is hollow and comes off as being mostly insincere and not meaning much at all.

I can see where this could happen, but it should be said that he hasn't started a game in years, so to just get handed a starting job probably won't happen.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/25/colin-kaepernick-multiple-nfl-teams-interested-in-signing-qb/

REPORT: COLIN KAEPERNICK'MULTIPLE TEAMS' INTERESTED... In Signing Quarterback

Could Colin Kaepernick's NFL return be as few as a couple weeks away???

The answer could be yes ... because "multiple" teams and at least one head coach have legitimate interest in signing the QB before the start of the season, according to NFL Network reporter Michael Silver.

The plugged-in journalist said on the league's owned NFL Network on Wednesday, "I have talked to one head coach who is absolutely interested" in Kaepernick.

The holdup? Silver says it's all about the coronavirus pandemic ... and the lack of the ability for teams to physically workout Colin for a tryout at their facilities.

"Colin Kaepernick, who has not played since 2016, finds himself in the same situation that Cam Newton and Jadeveon Clowney do," Silver said, "which is a team that would be ready to sign him would want to work him out."

Of course, Kaepernick did famously hold his own workout last year -- which was on video ... but Silver says teams would still like a front-row view this summer before putting pen to a new contract.

The NFL reporter adds, "There could be a chance that something happens when teams are able to get that part of it done."

Unclear when teams will be allowed to host free agents for tryouts ... but training camps do open July 28 -- so seems that date is nearing.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/25/colin-kaepernick-multiple-nfl-teams-interested-in-signing-qb/

REPORT: COLIN KAEPERNICK'MULTIPLE TEAMS' INTERESTED... In Signing Quarterback

Could Colin Kaepernick's NFL return be as few as a couple weeks away???

The answer could be yes ... because "multiple" teams and at least one head coach have legitimate interest in signing the QB before the start of the season, according to NFL Network reporter Michael Silver.

The plugged-in journalist said on the league's owned NFL Network on Wednesday, "I have talked to one head coach who is absolutely interested" in Kaepernick.

The holdup? Silver says it's all about the coronavirus pandemic ... and the lack of the ability for teams to physically workout Colin for a tryout at their facilities.

"Colin Kaepernick, who has not played since 2016, finds himself in the same situation that Cam Newton and Jadeveon Clowney do," Silver said, "which is a team that would be ready to sign him would want to work him out."

Of course, Kaepernick did famously hold his own workout last year -- which was on video ... but Silver says teams would still like a front-row view this summer before putting pen to a new contract.

The NFL reporter adds, "There could be a chance that something happens when teams are able to get that part of it done."

Unclear when teams will be allowed to host free agents for tryouts ... but training camps do open July 28 -- so seems that date is nearing.
We can see where this takes us and what are Kaep's demands . . . Consideration as a starting QB? Paid as a top starting QB? What percentage of the contract is guaranteed? Can he freely kneel and support causes? I am certainly interested to see where things go from here. I have my doubts if he will be will to take a Winston-like role and deal (short-term, low dollars, no chance of playing without an injury to the primary starter, etc.)

What do Drew Stanton, Josh McCown, Trevor Siemian, Matt Moore, Brandon Allen, Cody Kessler, and Blake Bortles all have in common? They are all unemployed QB's that have started and won more NFL games than Kaepernick has since 2016. And that's leaving off Cam Newton, who certainly would deserve an NFL roster sport before CK. I left off DeShone Kizer, as he went 0-15 one season in CLE.

Fans and the media can spout whatever they want, but the fact of the matter is Kaepernick hasn't played in 4 years, will be 33, and things didn't turn out well for the Niners in games that he started in 2015-16 (3-17 in those games . . . even if Kaep wasn't totally the reason they couldn't win). Leaving out everything else involving CK, the X's and O's reflect that latching on somewhere buried on the depth chart is the best he could hope for all this time later.

IMO, the league needs to get ahead of things and get TEAM X to make a half-hearted invitation for him to try out (even if they don't really want to) and spin it that they would have signed him for X dollars and he said no or his skills had diminished and they liked what they had better. All the pillow talk from people saying they should have signed him, we aren't opposed to considering him, we'll add him to our emergency contact list, etc. is hollow and comes off as being mostly insincere and not meaning much at all.
You do know there are also quite a few employed QB’s who have done practically nothing since Kaepernick last played as well right?

Because of potential, something Kappy has ran out of. 
Yeah sure Tony, it's potential.

39 year old Matt Schaub and 34 years old Chad Henne have tons of it. Probably still plenty of upside for 32 year old Alex Tanney too. I'm sure AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman and Matt Barkley are this close to finally showing what they can do. 

39 year old Matt Schaub and 34 years old Chad Henne have tons of it. Probably still plenty of upside for 32 year old Alex Tanney too. I'm sure AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman and Matt Barkley are this close to finally showing what they can do. 
Do any of those backups bring the drama and/or media circus that Kaepernick will?

Well Tanney does, his single game QB rating is higher than Kaep ever did. The other two are veteran back ups, another thing Kappy doesn't have on his resume.  

But, we can drop the act. Hes doesnt want to come back. The probability of complete failure is too high for his ego.  /thread

Do any of those backups bring the drama and/or media circus that Kaepernick will?
And are they demanding the amount of money Kaepernick demands?   No one is going to call Andy Reid a racist if he doesn't play Chad Henne.  If Kaepernick doesn't get the playing time the SJW believe he should then that coach is done.

Blaine Gabbert doesn't have potential and he's the Bucs backup QB. He's been bad his entire NFL career.
Yet the Niners benched Kaep for Gabbert. Go figure. Clearly Chip Kelly’s and SF didn’t really mix, and playing Gabbert didn’t make much sense. He isn’t a starting worthy QB. But at the time San Fran wanted to see what he could offer. 

Yet the Niners benched Kaep for Gabbert. Go figure. Clearly Chip Kelly’s and SF didn’t really mix, and playing Gabbert didn’t make much sense. He isn’t a starting worthy QB. But at the time San Fran wanted to see what he could offer. 
Yep, but at that point in his career he was only 26 and had been on just one other NFL team. It was reasonable to give him a shot considering he was a top 10 draft pick. However, he’s 30 now and has proven he isn’t a quality NFL player. As a Bucs fan, if Tom Brady were to go down from an injury, I’d rather give Kaepernick a shot over Gabbert.

For those who don't know, The Players' Tribune is a media company that provides athletes with a platform to connect directly with their fans in their own words. This comes from retired USWNT member Lauren Holiday, wife of New Orleans Pelicans PG Jrue Holiday.

I’ve Stayed Silent for Way Too Long

Any racism at all, on any level, is worth confronting, and worth exposing, and worth speaking up about. 

Jemele Hill @jemelehill Jun 5

Shorter version: I’m sorry Colin Kaepernick.
Jemele Hill @jemelehill 12:43 PM - 7 May 2009

my FB friends are calling him "Manny the Tranny"...so inappropriate and hilarious.

Looks like one of your favorites on twitter has transphobia.   Several tried to tell you she was a massive joke.

"He has the 4th best INT rate in history. He's 4th, Tom Brady is 5th"

Well, he and Tom Brady both have an INT rate of 1.8%. That is true. Derek Carr has a career INT rate of 1.9% and from what I hear from the national media most people think he should lose his job. Sam Bradford has an INT rate of 2.1% and is only 32yo and I can't tell you how many articles I've read by the national media in the past year moaning about the fact he doesn't have a job in the NFL.... it's just a TRAVESTY. Case Keenam has an INT rate of 2.2% and I hear people all the time site Keenam having a job proves that there is a conspiracy against Kap. Maybe there are several guys on this list that are middling to below average players? I certainly haven't heard many people point to Tyrod Taylor as a likely reason the chargers will go deep into the playoffs and probably win the AFC..... maybe they don't realize he has an INT rate of 1.5% (only Aaron Rodgers is better)! Tyrod Taylor has a better INT rate than Mahomes, after all.

I will admit I'd much rather see Kap sit on the bench anywhere than subject myself to listening to Mike Greenberg talk about anything, but especially anything regarding the NFL. 

Jemele Hill @jemelehill 12:43 PM - 7 May 2009

my FB friends are calling him "Manny the Tranny"...so inappropriate and hilarious.

Looks like one of your favorites on twitter has transphobia.   Several tried to tell you she was a massive joke.
Jemele Hill called Kappy a tranny??

Jemele Hill called Kappy a tranny??
Think it was Manny Ramirez.  Surprised to see someone so politically correct and tolerant of others thinking it's hilarious to call another human a tranny though.  Most of us saw right through her BS immediately.  Others used her tweeting and rants and nonsense to justify things.  Oops

In a Twitter message Saturday, the former San Francisco 49ers player denounced the nation's 244th birthday as a “celebration of white supremacy.”

Along with a video showing images of the Ku Klux Klan, police brutality, slavery and lynchings, Kaepernick wrote: “Black ppl have been dehumanized, brutalized, criminalized + terrorized by America for centuries, & are expected to join your commemoration of ‘independence’, while you enslaved our ancestors. We reject your celebration of white supremacy & look forward to liberation for all.”
He really isn't interested in playing football, is he?

Wait, Kaep hates America too?  

I am going to need a running list - this is the 2nd time today I've seen that posted about somebody.  

Users who are viewing this thread