What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (5 Viewers)

I have a feeling the crowd thought they were going to kneel. When they didn't the boos stopped.
I had a feeling someone here would think that.  I was going to post about it but I actually waited until it actually happened before I posted about it.

Since the Dolphins called kneeling  a PR stunt and will not come out for the NA is telling. Kneeling or sitting will always be divisive no matter how you slice it. 

The joining together just to show unity for 60 seconds at midfield seems very positive and progressive and something everyone can get behind and to move foreword with.
Well not everyone apparently

The Commish said:
Well not everyone apparently
In the context of all the BLM lies, distortion and hate they spew prior to their call for unity,  you are right not everyone wants to bow down and kiss their butts.   They want unity, why not put some names of fallen police officers across their helmets.  That would be a sincere call for unity.   Not some bs moment of silence after 30 minutes of propaganda being shoved in your face. 

In the context of all the BLM lies, distortion and hate they spew prior to their call for unity,  you are right not everyone wants to bow down and kiss their butts.   They want unity, why not put some names of fallen police officers across their helmets.  That would be a sincere call for unity.   Not some bs moment of silence after 30 minutes of propaganda being shoved in your face. 
This "shoved in your face" thing always is odd to me. Did 30 seconds of a moment of silence for a cause many of the players believe in really detract from any part of your enjoyment of the game? I just don't understand. There is nothing "in your face" about locking arms for a moment of silence. Burning down building and looting is in your face. Giving 30 seconds of your time to sit through a cause that means something to someone and being triggered by that I will never understand. 

We have a month in the NFL dedicated to those who have been affected by breast cancer. I haven't luckily and hope I never will, but I take zero offense to anyone using peaceful means or colors as a show of unity and support. That goes for everything... You want to show some support in a peaceful manner for your country, for breast cancer, for rabies awareness, for black lives matter, your flag, your president and it costs nothing more than 30 seconds of my time at the beginning of a football game I really want to see, I say more power to those folks. It affected zero enjoyment of the game. If they wanted to come out and give a moment of silence for the persecution of Donald Trump by the left wing media, I don't care. If that's what some people feel, I support them to exercise that right. 

This "shoved in my face" argument is so bad. Like really bad. 

When they cancel games (NBA, etc) or affect my enjoyment of life in protest for any issue, maybe I'll start to care. But until the NFL players start burning down fields and throwing water bottles and helmets at cops. Let them observe a moment of silence peaceful. It affects your life zero; it affects your life zero. 

This "shoved in your face" thing always is odd to me. Did 30 seconds of a moment of silence for a cause many of the players believe in really detract from any part of your enjoyment of the game? I just don't understand.
The 30 seconds of silence was not the issue.  It is all the other crap wrapped around it.  I was very clear when i explained it before.  

Let's say Fox News and Donald Trump spent 30 minutes spreading propaganda on the evils of illegal immigration.  Then asked a bunch of undocumented immigrants to lock arms with them in 'unity'.  Would it be shocking if the immigrants were upset and booed?  Would that be because the immigrants are against message 'unity' or against all the propaganda they just endured?   

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's say Fox News and Donald Trump spent 30 minutes spreading propaganda on the evils of illegal immigration.  Then asked a bunch of undocumented immigrants to lock arms with them in 'unity'.  Would it be shocking if the immigrants were upset and booed?  Would that be because the immigrants are against 'unity'?  
Not even really sure where you're going there, it's a bit of a non-sequitur. For the record, I wasn't being facetitious when I apologized for missing your point. I do apologize, I think the "in your face" and 30 seconds of silence thing is what threw me off. I'm not good at this lol. It was my bad. I guessed since someone jumped in out of nowhere and asked what alias I am that maybe it came off as sarcastic. It was not. 

Anyway, cheers and enjoy the games today Jon! 

Not even really sure where you're going there, it's a bit of a non-sequitur. For the record, I wasn't being facetitious when I apologized for missing your point. I do apologize, I think the "in your face" and 30 seconds of silence thing is what through me off. I'm not good at this lol. It was my bad. I guessed since someone jumped in out of nowhere and asked what alias I am that maybe it came off as sarcastic. It was not. 

Anyway, cheers and enjoy the games today Jon! 
And i was trying to explain why people were upset.  The NFL is putting out a bunch of pro-BLM rhetoric.  It is being flashed on the scoreboard, displayed in the endzone, blasted across their helmets, this weird new black national anthem, etc.   Then when you are asking for unity, it comes across as now you have to lock arms as if you agree with all the nonsense they just made yoou sit through.  It is like bowing to their power and it comes across as very insulting and demeaning. 

And i was trying to explain why people were upset.  The NFL is putting out a bunch of pro-BLM rhetoric.  It is being flashed on the scoreboard, displayed in the endzone, blasted across their helmets, this weird new black national anthem, etc.   Then when you are asking for unity, it comes across as now you have to lock arms as if you agree with all the nonsense they just made yoou sit through.  It is like bowing to their power and it comes across as very insulting and demeaning. 
I do see what you mean and I do appreciate you explaining it. I think I still stand by my post but as someone who just wanted to watch a football game wasn't talking as deep as you were in your assessment of it. And thats honest to God truth on my part. I just came here to talk football and will probly hang in the Shark Pool from here on out lol. 

Let's say Fox News and Donald Trump spent 30 minutes spreading propaganda on the evils of illegal immigration.  Then asked a bunch of undocumented immigrants to lock arms with them in 'unity'.  Would it be shocking if the immigrants were upset and booed?  Would that be because the immigrants are against message 'unity' or against all the propaganda they just endured?   
This is a really, really strange analogy.

Illegal immigrants are lawbreakers by definition. Football players are not. (Or do you think they are? I guess that would explain your rationale but if that's the case you're posting in the wrong forum.)

Your statement was 100% spot on though.  That's the problem.  People shouldn't have a problem with them showing that unity, but they do.  It's telling.  What's also telling is the lengths people will go to in order to project their fear/hatred onto something like that to turn it into a bad thing.
Before yesterday I would have agreed with this.  However I watched with a couple of friends, we sat far apart, and they were complaining about it too. I was shocked, these guys are 100% NOT racist in any way and I've known them for decades.  There POV was more than ever they needed an escape and just wanted to watch football.  I don't know, FWIW. 

People shouldn't have a problem with them showing that unity, but they do.  It's telling. 
For decades, we had a perfectly fine way for people to show unity: politely standing for the national anthem.

If somebody wants to argue that playing the national anthem before sporting events is unnecessary and a little creepy, I'm in full agreement.  But don't bother with the "They're booing the concept of unity!" thing.  That ship sailed.

Before yesterday I would have agreed with this.  However I watched with a couple of friends, we sat far apart, and they were complaining about it too. I was shocked, these guys are 100% NOT racist in any way and I've known them for decades.  There POV was more than ever they needed an escape and just wanted to watch football.  I don't know, FWIW. 
Pretty sure football happened. 

Pretty sure football happened. 
I drank a lot of vodka so wasn't sure. 

Very telling about the friends you keep...

For decades, we had a perfectly fine way for people to show unity: politely standing for the national anthem.

If somebody wants to argue that playing the national anthem before sporting events is unnecessary and a little creepy, I'm in full agreement.  But don't bother with the "They're booing the concept of unity!" thing.  That ship sailed.
I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you saying that the fans couldn't have been booing the concept of unity, otherwise they would have booed when they were asked to stand?

Very telling about the friends you keep...
I know you are attempting to take a shot but yes I like that they aren't racist in any way.  Thanks.

I know you are attempting to take a shot but yes I like that they aren't racist in any way.  Thanks.
I don't know, The Commish indicated its "very telling" when someone doesn't support that display of unity...I guess maybe he meant he could tell they ate bean dip before kickoff?

I don't know, The Commish indicated its "very telling" when someone doesn't support that display of unity...I guess maybe he meant he could tell they ate bean dip before kickoff?
I really suggest you mitigate the trolling effort to call people racist.  the guy explained his friends motives, but apparently you know them better?

this is uncalled for & I hope you know it.   

adios.

I am the first to admit, I am not up on all the talking points as it's my belief that this stuff is the absolute LEAST of our problems, but I thought they were supposed to be booing the protests.  Either way, I can't understand it.  But, honestly, I have yet to hear a compelling reason why this should be a concern to me, so I haven't spent much time on it.  I am far more bothered by Billy Joe dragging the US Flag around on a pole attached to the trailer hitch of his F350 than this sort of stuff.  

And to play devil's advocate here with the first statement.....I don't think "perfectly fine" is the proper definition for the way we showed unity before.  It might have been for you.  It hasn't been for many others, but they've done it anyway.  Now, they aren't doing it anymore and pushing back.  To be completely honest, I find all this "fanfare" of anthems and flyovers etc to be REALLY creepy...always have outside of the Olympics where it seems completely logical and acceptable....well, not the flyovers...that's never been anything but weird in my opinion.  Complete waste of money if not being done on a holiday meant to show respect to the troops.

I do see what you mean and I do appreciate you explaining it. I think I still stand by my post but as someone who just wanted to watch a football game wasn't talking as deep as you were in your assessment of it. And thats honest to God truth on my part. I just came here to talk football and will probly hang in the Shark Pool from here on out lol. 
Here you go @Maurile Tremblay

The breast cancer thing is an interesting point.

Do those who have a problem with the unity/BLM/player message situations have the same problem with Breast Cancer Awareness month?

The breast cancer thing is an interesting point.

Do those who have a problem with the unity/BLM/player message situations have the same problem with Breast Cancer Awareness month?
They probably don’t, because their wife or daughter may get breast cancer, and they’ll never have to experience being black.

And to play devil's advocate here with the first statement.....I don't think "perfectly fine" is the proper definition for the way we showed unity before.  It might have been for you.  It hasn't been for many others, but they've done it anyway.  Now, they aren't doing it anymore and pushing back.  
Do you really not get how this is the exact same argument that would be offered up by people booing the Unity Sacrament?  I'm kind of blown away by the lack of self-awareness on this particular point -- not by you, The Commish necessarily, but by folks in general

Yes, although admittedly to a much lesser degree because breast cancer isn't political.

This is starting to feel like one of those issues where folks on Side A can adequately explain the reasoning of folks on Side B, but not vice versa. It's as if the "More politics in sports, please" folks have never spoken to people on the other side before.

I hated all the phony baloney salute our troops, week after week, year after year, then of course it comes out that it was all a paid advertisement. 
I hated the Unity Sacrament when they did it the way I didn't like.  I don't understand why a person might not like the Unity Sacrament now.

I hated the Unity Sacrament when they did it the way I didn't like.  I don't understand why a person might not like the Unity Sacrament now.
I can see that just like some don't want the anthem. Personally I'm fine with both as well as BLM. However in my example it was so obvious it wasn't a genuine show of appreciation, it was a commercial.  Sports have played an important role for civil rights in this country.  See Robinson, Jackie. 

Do you really not get how this is the exact same argument that would be offered up by people booing the Unity Sacrament?  I'm kind of blown away by the lack of self-awareness on this particular point -- not by you, The Commish necessarily, but by folks in general
Well that's the heart of disagreement right?  Of course i get that's the argument which is why i said earlier ( i think it was this thread.... maybe not) I'm all for a revised anthem that works for everyone,  but that requires compromise and i just don't see that happening. 

John Blutarsky said:
So I'm new to this board. I joined the night before football and jumped in the assistant coach forum and this is twice you've quoted me when you were zero percent involved in the conversation. There are new users here. @jon_mx and I had a polite exchange very briefly in the Kaepernick thread yet you're here again harassing me. I have never addressed you in a post and Maurile posted the new rule and I have chosen to accept and think it's a good idea. Maybe it's time for you to leave me alone and let me be a part of the community? I'm fully OK w Maurile rules and have followed them since. Worry about yourself is my suggestion. I found the site because Matthew Berry shouted it out on Bill Simmons podcast last week...

(for the record I got an alert? That I had a response here. I haven't opened the forum since Maurile posted his new rule. I'd like it if you left me alone and enjoy my time as a content subscriber. I vow to leave you alone as well and let's shake hands and see you in the SP brother :)

Am I the only one that 1) had to look up what the Unity Sacrament is, and 2) is confused as to how that relates to the national anthem being played at a sporting event?

So I'm new to this board. I joined the night before football and jumped in the assistant coach forum and this is twice you've quoted me when you were zero percent involved in the conversation. There are new users here. @jon_mx and I had a polite exchange very briefly in the Kaepernick thread yet you're here again harassing me. I have never addressed you in a post and Maurile posted the new rule and I have chosen to accept and think it's a good idea. Maybe it's time for you to leave me alone and let me be a part of the community? I'm fully OK w Maurile rules and have followed them since. Worry about yourself is my suggestion. I found the site because Matthew Berry shouted it out on Bill Simmons podcast last week...

(for the record I got an alert? That I had a response here. I haven't opened the forum since Maurile posted his new rule. I'd like it if you left me alone and enjoy my time as a content subscriber. I vow to leave you alone as well and let's shake hands and see you in the SP brother :)
I will always support you.

FWIW I think fans booed (mostly) because they want politics out of their football. 

Thunderlips said:
But what if their daughter marries a black guy and they have black children?  Would they care more about BLM then?
Not sure why that would cause anyone to support a movement associated with so many acts of terrorism.  

This is the correct answer plain and simple.   
I think its true.   But I would reply that some issues are bigger than politics and even football.  And people of all walks of life are going to use whatever platform they have.  I say good for them to speak out when its not always the popular thing to do with some.  I get people "just want football"...but in the end, its a few minutes (and not every game anyway that even shows the anthems or the players during it).

I think its true.   But I would reply that some issues are bigger than politics and even football.  And people of all walks of life are going to use whatever platform they have.  I say good for them to speak out when its not always the popular thing to do with some.  I get people "just want football"...but in the end, its a few minutes (and not every game anyway that even shows the anthems or the players during it).
Whatever happens during the NA does not impact my viewing of the games at all.  To be honest I hardly ever watch the very start of any sport anyway.  

Would you feel the same way if we took 15 minutes before every game to reaffirm Jesus Christ as personal lord and savior?  All Christians would argue that this is a bigger issue than politics and even football, so why not use this platform to speak out?

Or would you find that distasteful and kind of culty?

Whatever happens during the NA does not impact my viewing of the games at all.  To be honest I hardly ever watch the very start of any sport anyway.  
Same here...most things I DVR as we are busy doing something and I join in a bit later.  Then I get to skip commercials and half time (and if its on ESPN can skip any and all Berman)

Users who are viewing this thread