What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (5 Viewers)

Would you feel the same way if we took 15 minutes before every game to reaffirm Jesus Christ as personal lord and savior?  All Christians would argue that this is a bigger issue than politics and even football, so why not use this platform to speak out?

Or would you find that distasteful and kind of culty?
Who is taking 15 minutes to do that with this though?

I have no problem with those that pray before a game, speak or thank God after games and so on.  Are the same people saying get politics out of football also saying get religion out of it when athletes do that?

Would you feel the same way if we took 15 minutes before every game to reaffirm Jesus Christ as personal lord and savior?  All Christians would argue that this is a bigger issue than politics and even football, so why not use this platform to speak out?

Well I do know it seems to bother people when a reporter asks an athlete a question right after a game and they start with "First of all I want to thank my Savior Jesus Christ"  Why?  I don`t know buy probably for the same reasons they don`t want political statements.

If am a believer it is not because an athlete told me to believe.   If I think people`s lives matter it is not because the NFL or any sport says I should.

Am I the only one that 1) had to look up what the Unity Sacrament is, and 2) is confused as to how that relates to the national anthem being played at a sporting event?
For some reason, we* feel the need to have a little quasi-religious service before sporting events.  Traditionally, that service has taken the form of performative patriotism.  We stand up, take off our hat and either sing along with the national anthem or just stand there politely.  Sometimes there's a color guard or a flyover.  There's no real intellectual weight behind this activity -- it's just a little ritual that we perform that reinforces our oneness as a nation or something like that.  It's a public sacrament, or more accurately, a liturgy.  

Now the national anthem no longer serves that purpose, because it's become too divisive.  An obvious solution would be to dispense with the anthem and just get on with it, but instead we've expanded the liturgy to include the national anthem and the separate-but-equal anthem and social justice scriptures on the scoreboard and field and little videos broadcast prior to each game and updates on which players are participating in which parts of the liturgy and impromptu liturgies that folks make up as they go along.  And the folks responsible for this -- who are mostly the same people who thought it was a good idea to turn the national anthem into a lightning rod -- are dismayed to find that people think that this is all silly at best and sociopathic at worst. 

It's a funny reversal of roles.  The "America: Love It Or Leave It" types were all bent out of shape if people didn't follow the patriotism liturgy exactly right, and now the Social Justice types get bent out of shape when people don't play along with their liturgy.  These two groups of people are the exact same personality type.

* I'm using the term "we" here to talk about the US collectively, not necessarily you and me specifically.

Nobody is, because that would be dumb and alienating.  Which is the point, of course.
Even the other...was barely mentioned in the lead in to the 2nd game last night.  And they showed the one anthem only...barely showed the players (I think I saw one kneeling with a hand up).  And the talk was then about the actual game.

This would be worse IMO.  As a believer in Christ, I understand it's a belief and thus a choice which is why we'd correctly label it "dumb and alienating" as you do here.  It's significantly different, in my view, to push a belief on someone than documented fact/reality.  The best argument I've heard for keeping this stuff out of games is people don't want to mix politics and sports.  That's cool.  Get rid of all the ridiculous political faux patriotism tied to sports while we're at it...problem solved.

This would be worse IMO.  As a believer in Christ, I understand it's a belief and thus a choice which is why we'd correctly label it "dumb and alienating" as you do here.  It's significantly different, in my view, to push a belief on someone than documented fact/reality.  The best argument I've heard for keeping this stuff out of games is people don't want to mix politics and sports.  That's cool.  Get rid of all the ridiculous political faux patriotism tied to sports while we're at it...problem solved.
This seems like a classic right vs left difference.  Same way it is puzzling to folks on the right why folks on the left have such a hard time supporting why America is great, folks on the right also have a hard time understanding why folks on the left consider patriotism and displays of patriotism, unity during our national anthem, etc....as fake.   

Am I the only one that 1) had to look up what the Unity Sacrament is ...
I quickly Googled it and saw only references to Catholicism (specifically, the Eucharist).

What does the "Unity Sacrament" mean these days? The pre-game locking-of-arms demonstration?

This seems like a classic right vs left difference.  Same way it is puzzling to folks on the right why folks on the left have such a hard time supporting why America is great, folks on the right also have a hard time understanding why folks on the left consider patriotism and displays of patriotism, unity during our national anthem, etc....as fake.   
I can't speak to the "left right difference".  I don't think of this stuff in those terms.  I know few people who refuse to acknowledge the great things about America.  I know many people who take offense when people point out the places where America could use significant improvement, to the point that if you utter the mere suggestion that we aren't "the best country" their rebuttal is "why do you hate America...you can move" etc etc.  Personally, I have no problem with people being patriotic until their heart's content...go for it.  Do your thing.  Love the country?  Awesome...fly (properly) as many flags as you want!  I can hold that position and the position that these displays at sporting events are completely forced and awkward simultaneously.  I guess I'm saying it's my belief that there is a time and place for each.  So to IK's point above that I was responding to, about keeping sports and politics separate, it stands to reason the way to do that is to keep the politics out of sports all together and that includes these forced events pregame.  Want to flaunt your patriotism, have it it on Labor Day, Veterans Day, Presidents Day, Fourth of July, hell, create a "God Bless the USA Day" for all I care.  In hindsight I'd probably switch out "political faux patriotism" with "forced displays of patriotism".  If you take the time to think about them and get passed the "tradition" of it all, it's a really weird practice.  Literally, the only time I think it's not weird is during the Army/Navy football game and even then my acceptance of it all has NOTHING to do with the game of football.

I can't speak to the "left right difference".  I don't think of this stuff in those terms.  I know few people who refuse to acknowledge the great things about America.  I know many people who take offense when people point out the places where America could use significant improvement, to the point that if you utter the mere suggestion that we aren't "the best country" their rebuttal is "why do you hate America...you can move" etc etc.  Personally, I have no problem with people being patriotic until their heart's content...go for it.  Do your thing.  Love the country?  Awesome...fly (properly) as many flags as you want!  I can hold that position and the position that these displays at sporting events are completely forced and awkward simultaneously.  I guess I'm saying it's my belief that there is a time and place for each.  So to IK's point above that I was responding to, about keeping sports and politics separate, it stands to reason the way to do that is to keep the politics out of sports all together and that includes these forced events pregame.  Want to flaunt your patriotism, have it it on Labor Day, Veterans Day, Presidents Day, Fourth of July, hell, create a "God Bless the USA Day" for all I care.  In hindsight I'd probably switch out "political faux patriotism" with "forced displays of patriotism".  If you take the time to think about them and get passed the "tradition" of it all, it's a really weird practice.  Literally, the only time I think it's not weird is during the Army/Navy football game and even then my acceptance of it all has NOTHING to do with the game of football.
I understand your view and myself also do feel that certain "patriotic displays" are over the top and occasionally uncomfortable.

Should the national anthem be played at sporting events...I dunno it certainly doesn't need to.  What I struggle with is the idea that our national anthem is "political" or that our flag is "political".  Is it played with more fervor when one party holds the presidency?  It should be a symbol of our unity, unfortunately its not and at this point frankly I guess we don't have one.

Non religious man here.......Carson Wentz, Zach Ertz and Nick Foles were three players on the Eagles who really seemed to wear their religion on their sleeves.  On a personal level....that they attributed their success to Jesus Christ during post game interviews wasn't distasteful at all.  It's what they believe. Prayer circles for injured players.....same thing.  If there were a televized pre-game 15 minute service that the NFL decided to implement because an overwhelming majority of their players felt that they owed all to our Lord and Savior....I wouldn't watch  the service.....but wouldn't be offended.  

I understand your view and myself also do feel that certain "patriotic displays" are over the top and occasionally uncomfortable.

Should the national anthem be played at sporting events...I dunno it certainly doesn't need to.  What I struggle with is the idea that our national anthem is "political" or that our flag is "political".  Is it played with more fervor when one party holds the presidency?  It should be a symbol of our unity, unfortunately its not and at this point frankly I guess we don't have one.
Have the same struggle and unfortunately, that struggle grows the more I dig into our nation's history.  In my view, "tradition" shouldn't/doesn't overrule "what's right".  So as I try and learn the different perspectives, I have no problem saying, "damn, that wasn't right...we need to fix that" even if it's at the expense of some tradition people hold on to.  Our "tradition" needs to be self reflection, growth in self awareness and trying to do what's right for the country moving forward.  We'll get things right and we can be proud of them.  We'll get things wrong and not be so proud, but CAN be proud if we work hard to make the wrongs right.

Have the same struggle and unfortunately, that struggle grows the more I dig into our nation's history.  In my view, "tradition" shouldn't/doesn't overrule "what's right".  So as I try and learn the different perspectives, I have no problem saying, "damn, that wasn't right...we need to fix that" even if it's at the expense of some tradition people hold on to.  Our "tradition" needs to be self reflection, growth in self awareness and trying to do what's right for the country moving forward.  We'll get things right and we can be proud of them.  We'll get things wrong and not be so proud, but CAN be proud if we work hard to make the wrongs right.
To your last point, based on where the conversation is today it is certain that there will always be a huge number of people (in a nation of 300M) that are unhappy with something.  Even if you believe America is "great", it certainly is not perfect or close to it (never will be anywhere on this planet).

I think its naive to think that if we can't be proud today of our past (as you say including some things wrong and no so proud...and many good/positive changes to those wrong things) that we will be proud in some future state.  Not gonna happen, forever un-united. 

FWIW I think fans booed (mostly) because they want politics out of their football. 
Maybe that is what they want, but they aren't going to get it. That ship has sailed. If they are disturbed that much and get bent out of shape by a black national anthem, or players having a televised pregame moment of unity, then they should either turn off the game until after the kickoff, or find other viewing options.

To your last point, based on where the conversation is today it is certain that there will always be a huge number of people (in a nation of 300M) that are unhappy with something.  Even if you believe America is "great", it certainly is not perfect or close to it (never will be anywhere on this planet).

I think its naive to think that if we can't be proud today of our past (as you say including some things wrong and no so proud...and many good/positive changes to those wrong things) that we will be proud in some future state.  Not gonna happen, forever un-united. 
Regarding the past, I don't subscribe to "either/or".  It's easily both for me...many things to be proud of, many things not so much.  How it affects your view is driven by your self awareness and understanding of our history.  This is true of any topic.  It's ok to admit there are systemic issues in this country.  That doesn't mean I am not proud of the country overall.  That's simply an area that needs some work.  It's ok to admit that this country probably hasn't been a shining example of humanity in the eyes of African Americans...another area that needs work.  It drives me up a wall to watch people make excuses for or try to downplay things like that.  I simply don't get it.  

Maybe that is what they want, but they aren't going to get it. That ship has sailed. If they are disturbed that much and get bent out of shape by a black national anthem, or players having a televised pregame moment of unity, then they should either turn off the game until after the kickoff, or find other viewing options.
The NFL is smarter than the NBA.  When the money train stops (look at the horrible ratings even when absolutely nothing else was on TV this summer) the NBA will have a completely different tune.  Kind of like them overlooking the Honk Kong stuff while preaching equality here in the states. 

What is the black national anthem?  Who wrote it?  Please tell me Snoop Dogg and I'm all in for playing it before every sporting event.

And :lmao: at unity.

The NFL had a terrible first weekend in terms of viewership
Yes and no. Thursday night and Sunday night games were down about 25-30% but there was competing sports viewing options for the Thursday game (perhaps also Sunday).

There were no preseason games to build momentum on and having empty or relatively empty stadiums didn't help either. And perhaps some of the matchups weren't all that exciting.

On the bright side:

Fox says the Saints win over the Bucs drew a 16.2 overnight rating, which was a four-year high for a FOX NFL Week 1 game.

So let's not write the NFL obituary yet and or attribute it to the intrusion of politics into sports.

If we're being honest, though, we have to acknowledge that it is unusual that the NFL Week 1 games compete with NBA and NHL playoff games.  It is certainly possible that affected the ratings in a negative way.
Thanks for reminding me those were on.  It is weird when i hear those score on the radio in the morning it seems like they are playing X-games.   I used to watch the NHL playoffs as much as possible but have caught maybe one full game total this playoff season.  Maybe 2-3 NBA game in total.

Heard some shrink on the radio saying with COVID and all the turmoil everywhere sports have taken a back seat in peoples lives and people found out in the big picture they really are not that important to them anymore.  Stating that the shutdown for fans was like drugs addict's going to rehab and many found different things to do.  Like anyone who goes to rehab some relapse and return, some never do. Same with the fans.

She might be right.    For my whole sports watching life I could not wait for the first week of college and NFL football.  First NFL Sunday I would not leave the house or I would go to as sports bar.  Last Sunday I played golf at noon and missed the early games.   Got home and cut the lawn and had drinks outside with my wife and another couple with no NFL withdrawal at all.

I am sure I will watch again as watching the Lions lose is a tradition, but I don`t think i will be nearly as rabid as the past.  It has zero to do with anything other than finding better, healthier things to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and no. Thursday night and Sunday night games were down about 25-30% but there was competing sports viewing options for the Thursday game (perhaps also Sunday).

There were no preseason games to build momentum on and having empty or relatively empty stadiums didn't help either. And perhaps some of the matchups weren't all that exciting.

On the bright side:

Fox says the Saints win over the Bucs drew a 16.2 overnight rating, which was a four-year high for a FOX NFL Week 1 game.

So let's not write the NFL obituary yet and or attribute it to the intrusion of politics into sports.
Tv watchers need a warmup?  More people at home more potential watchers?

Thanks for reminding me those were on.  It is weird when i hear those score on the radio in the morning it seems like they are playing X-games.   I used to watch the NHL playoffs as much as possible but have caught maybe one full game total this playoff season.  Maybe 2-3 NBA game in total.

Heard some shrink on the radio saying with COVID and all the turmoil everywhere sports have taken a back seat in peoples lives and people found out in the big picture they really are not that important to them anymore.  Stating that the shutdown for fans was like drugs addict's going to rehab and many found different things to do.  Like anyone who goes to rehab some relapse and return, some never do. Same with the fans.

She might be right.    For my whole sports watching life I could not wait for the first week of college and NFL football.  First NFL Sunday I would not leave the house or I would go to as sports bar.  Last Sunday I played golf at noon and missed the early games.   Got home and cut the lawn and had drinks outside with my wife and another couple with no NFL withdrawal at all.

I am sure I will watch again as watching the Lions lose is a tradition, but I don`t think i will be nearly as rabid as the past.  It has zero to do with anything other than finding better, healthier things to do.
I absolutely agree with this too.  I think people have realized sports just aren't as important as we thought.  Personally, I've cut my sports watching, reading, and following way down over the past 5-ish years.  Nothing to do with the sports (or politics in sports), just have found better, more important things to do.

NFL ratings....I'd imagine local ratings for a local team are comparable and the Prime Time Games are going to take a bit of an initial hit.  

Do those who have a problem with the unity/BLM/player message situations have the same problem with Breast Cancer Awareness month?
Yes, although admittedly to a much lesser degree because breast cancer isn't political.
Counterpoint:

In case you haven’t noticed, there’s lots of pink on display this month, especially in things that aren’t usually pink.  The pink reflects a campaign to “raise awareness about breast cancer”, and I’ve been pondering what about it bugs me the most.

On the surface there’s the fact that it seems women tend to test for breast cancer too often, so that encouraging more testing does net harm. And cancer research has been one of the least productive areas of medical research in recent decades, so donations there may also do very little good. So “doing something” about breast cancer seems one of the least useful causes around.

But I think I’m more bothered by the campaign being less about doing something and more about “awareness”, which translates mostly into social pressure to get other folks to show pink, buying pink products, wearing pink clothes, etc. Much of the money donated goes not to tests or research but to paying celebrities to make more publicity.

Now this social pressure couldn’t really work if it weren’t pretty widely known that showing pink is associated with the breast cancer, which seems at odds with the claim that there is a lack of awareness of breast cancer. Even more at odds is the fact that pink campaigns rarely offer concrete arguments that theirs is an especially worthy cause; it is just assumed that listeners pretty much agree. Really, what fraction of folks don’t know breasts can get cancer, tests might detect it, and academics research it?

But on further reflection, what bothers me most is the underlying politics. Imagine a campaign for exercise awareness. Lack of exercise causes far more harm than breast cancer, and there must also remain a few folks who are not fully aware of this. Yet there would be very little interest in a color campaign for exercise awareness. Same for get-enough-sleep awareness. So why is breast cancer different?

Yes there’s the implicit sex angle in talking about breasts, but you could have a “have sex to get exercise” campaign, or make sexual innuendo about beds in a sleep campaign. And a campaign about testicular cancer wouldn’t be nearly as popular. So this isn’t mainly about sexual innuendo.

One obvious difference is that being anti-breast-cancer is framed as being pro-women. Thus one can insinuate that folks who resist social pressures to support the campaign are anti-women. Since folks fear seeming anti-women much more than seeming anti-health, a breast-cancer campaign can tap into far more social pressure than can an exercise or sleep campaign.

Think pink gets much of its energy by offering a way for folks to be indirectly political; one can seem pro-women, and insinuate that others are anti-women, while only ever explicitly talking about health and medicine. AIDS awareness gets a similar political punch; one can talk only health, yet insinuate that others are anti-gay. Much of medicine is not about health, but about showing that you care, in this case caring about the right political groups.

2 hours ago, squistion said:

There were no preseason games to build momentum on
Oh shoot , that certainly explains it
You edited my quote, making it a partial quote, taken out of context to give a misleading impression of the point I was trying to make.

I didn't say or was I suggesting that it was the only explanation for the lower ratings. As I noted, there were other factors that went into the mix.

Four years ago, Ginsberg called the Kaepernick protest "really dumb".  No wonder she was so popular
https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/14/politics/ruth-bader-ginsburg-apologizes-colin-kaepernick/index.html

Ruth Bader Ginsburg apologizes to Colin Kaepernick after criticizing anthem protest

Washington (CNN)Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said on Friday she was "inappropriately dismissive and harsh" in a recent interview when she said she thought it was "really dumb" for San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and others to refuse to stand for the national anthem.

In a statement released by the court's public information officer, Ginsburg said she had been "barely aware of the incident or its purpose" and that she should have "declined to respond" when asked the question by Yahoo's Katie Couric.

"Some of you have inquired about a book interview in which I was asked how I felt about Colin Kaepernick and other NFL players who refused to stand for the national anthem," Ginsburg said. "Barely aware of the incident or its purpose, my comments were inappropriately dismissive and harsh. I should have declined to respond."

• Love
Reactions: JAA
https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/14/politics/ruth-bader-ginsburg-apologizes-colin-kaepernick/index.html

Ruth Bader Ginsburg apologizes to Colin Kaepernick after criticizing anthem protest

Washington (CNN)Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said on Friday she was "inappropriately dismissive and harsh" in a recent interview when she said she thought it was "really dumb" for San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and others to refuse to stand for the national anthem.

In a statement released by the court's public information officer, Ginsburg said she had been "barely aware of the incident or its purpose" and that she should have "declined to respond" when asked the question by Yahoo's Katie Couric.

"Some of you have inquired about a book interview in which I was asked how I felt about Colin Kaepernick and other NFL players who refused to stand for the national anthem," Ginsburg said. "Barely aware of the incident or its purpose, my comments were inappropriately dismissive and harsh. I should have declined to respond."
Of course. You have to apologize for anything these days.  Backtracking to "I should have declined to respond" clearly shows that.

squistion said:
Colin Kaepernick @Kaepernick7 2h

The white supremacist institution of policing that stole Breonna Taylor’s life from us must be abolished for the safety and well being of our people.

#BreonnaTaylor #SayHerName #AbolishThePolice

https://twitter.com/Kaepernick7/status/1308908426349678592
Wait, I thought defund the police didn't mean actually get rid of the police.  Are people now going to try to change the meaning of the word abolish also?

squistion said:
Colin Kaepernick @Kaepernick7 2h

The white supremacist institution of policing that stole Breonna Taylor’s life from us must be abolished for the safety and well being of our people.

#BreonnaTaylor #SayHerName #AbolishThePolice

https://twitter.com/Kaepernick7/status/1308908426349678592
You really need to watch the documentary Social Dilemma. Actually thought of you while watching it.

Was it served?  Those two white men weren't arrested for starting this it seems.  The officer has no time served after pleading guilty to "simple battery". 

It's a step in the right direction, but not sure justice was served.
Honestly... they didn't get off completely and go right back on the job. That's the closest thing you can get to "justice" in these cases nowadays.

Honestly... they didn't get off completely and go right back on the job. That's the closest thing you can get to "justice" in these cases nowadays.
I agree.  And I'll certainly take it.  As I said, it's a step in the right direction.  In fact, from the officer's standpoint, I think it's about as good as we can expect.  I'm more disappointed in the fact that they never followed up on the two individuals that brought all of this on.  But for their actions, none of this happens. 

I wonder who Kap blames for 99.5% of the black people who are killed every year that are NOT killed by police ?

what institution is that please Kap ... tell us, make us aware .... 

I wonder who Kap blames for 99.5% of the black people who are killed every year that are NOT killed by police ?

what institution is that please Kap ... tell us, make us aware .... 
I would imagine it is the same institution that is responsible for 99.5% of white people who are killed every year that are NOT killed by police.

Users who are viewing this thread