Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty Watch 2017 Rookie & Former Pitt RB James Conner

pghrob

1 minute ago, Doug B said:

It shows "Questionable Wk 1" for Conner if you have him in a CBS league. You're right, that article doesn't mention it.

It might be something weird with CBS's injury designations -- it's too early for Week One designations ... yet everyone on all my league's rosters with an injury is shown as "Questionable - Week 1".

MFL is all Questionable, too. Maybe that's how the NFL is designating it? I don't know. There's no weekly report that I know of.

Conner might be in for a maintenance day, frankly. Nobody seems to know. 

12 hours ago, rockaction said:

MFL is all Questionable, too. Maybe that's how the NFL is designating it? I don't know. 

I noticed also that almost all injury news is incredibly vague, much more so than in the past. It seems to be either Undisclosed, Upper Body, or Lower Body.

If he and Ben stay healthy, he's a top 15 back easily, and possibly top 8. However, I think the odds that both stay healthy is 40%. That said, I've got him across the board because I'm a homer. 

Also, I don't think they resign him before FA, or before his Agent can get #s from around the league, but I think there's a 50/50 chance they resign him if he has a healthy year. Not necessarily on a team-friendly deal, but on a reasonable RB deal. He won't get $$ like Dalvin will, or Cmac did, but I could see them offering something similar to Austin Ekeler, $6-$7 mil a year for 4 years with a 2-year out.

However, if salary cap gets crunched due to reduced NFL income this year, 0% chance they resign him. The Steelers will need that money to sign Watt. 

• Like 2

i never really understood the McFarland love in here by people (person?). Seems like a JAG to me.  Sounds like Snell has the #2 role....

Steelers RB Benny Snell is the "no-doubt No. 2" back in the Pittsburgh backfield after an impressive training camp during which he's shown improved receiving ability. 

This confirms what we've known for a couple weeks. Snell has locked down the backup role behind RB James Conner, who is expected to see a heavy workload in the Steelers' rejuvenated offense. A 13th-rounder in 12-team leagues, Snell is an ideal late-round selection for Zero RB drafters. 

Source: The Athletic

Aug 29, 2020, 1:46 PM ET

Question: What percentage of snaps will James Conner play in 2020 when he is healthy?

Question: What percentage of snaps will James Conner play in 2020 when he is healthy?

Mike Tomlin is on record, year after year, stating that he is a workhorse-back kind of guy. From Willie Parker to Rashard Mendenhall to Le’Veon Bell to James Conner, when he has a guy, he uses him, and he uses him a lot....

During his Pro Bowl season in 2018, under normal circumstances, when healthy, without short weeks, Conner pretty regularly topped 80 percent of the offensive snaps for the game, often hitting 85 or even 90 percent of the workload, for that matter.

But that wasn’t the workload he was getting last season. He only approached 80 percent in two games at the time of the first significant injury against the Miami Dolphins in Week Eight. Prior to that, he had been closer to playing about two thirds of the snaps.

Now, the Steelers have a more experienced backfield, especially with Benny Snell in his second season and in improved physical conditioning. Jaylen Samuels is back healthy, and then you add two speed backs in Kerrith Whyte and Anthony McFarland, at least one of whom will be on the roster, plus the veteran Wendell Smallwood. 

They have the personnel to prevent themselves from grinding Conner into the ground. That doesn’t mean they won’t. But they have enough backs to share the workload.

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Now, the Steelers have a more experienced backfield, especially with Benny Snell in his second season and in improved physical conditioning. Jaylen Samuels is back healthy, 

Samuels isn't very good and should be on the waiver wire in dynasty leagues. 

Edited by JohnnyU

On 8/24/2020 at 3:43 PM, steelers1080 said:

If he and Ben stay healthy, he's a top 15 back easily, and possibly top 8. However, I think the odds that both stay healthy is 40%. That said, I've got him across the board because I'm a homer. 

Also, I don't think they resign him before FA, or before his Agent can get #s from around the league, but I think there's a 50/50 chance they resign him if he has a healthy year. Not necessarily on a team-friendly deal, but on a reasonable RB deal. He won't get $$ like Dalvin will, or Cmac did, but I could see them offering something similar to Austin Ekeler, $6-$7 mil a year for 4 years with a 2-year out.

However, if salary cap gets crunched due to reduced NFL income this year, 0% chance they resign him. The Steelers will need that money to sign Watt. 

Targeting Conner as my #2 RB in round 3. 

Feel like with Ben back the offense is going to be seriously upgraded. Add to that one of the best Ds in the NFL and this ground game is going to get a ton of opportunities.

Injuries can happen to anyone. Grab Snell late. All set.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Feel like with Ben back the offense is going to be seriously upgraded. Add to that one of the best Ds in the NFL and this ground game is going to get a ton of opportunities.

Ill be grabbing snell late myself.  Im not that familiar with him as a prospect.  How is he as a pass catcher? 

12 hours ago, The Finist said:

i never really understood the McFarland love in here by people (person?). Seems like a JAG to me.  Sounds like Snell has the #2 role....

Steelers RB Benny Snell is the "no-doubt No. 2" back in the Pittsburgh backfield after an impressive training camp during which he's shown improved receiving ability. 

This confirms what we've known for a couple weeks. Snell has locked down the backup role behind RB James Conner, who is expected to see a heavy workload in the Steelers' rejuvenated offense. A 13th-rounder in 12-team leagues, Snell is an ideal late-round selection for Zero RB drafters. 

Source: The Athletic

Aug 29, 2020, 1:46 PM ET

Oh yeah and you have to pick up Snell if you own Conner. He's off the radar right now but he could easily be the Steelers #1 RB next year or this year if Conner goes down. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shadrap said:

one of those guys that are always injured.  It's too bad because he is a good football player.

He went at the 2.10 in a FBG draft I was in last night. I was on board early in the summer when he was slipping in the 4th rd, but no way am I getting him at the current price these days.

3 hours ago, Widbil83 said:

He went at the 2.10 in a FBG draft I was in last night. I was on board early in the summer when he was slipping in the 4th rd, but no way am I getting him at the current price these days.

Default rankings drive everything. Right now, my ESPN league has him at #47 overall. Easy pickins' in the third round.

Crossing fingers the dopes at ESPN leave him there.

• Like 1

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly does not expect the Steelers to employ a running back committee. 

"If there was any doubt that coach Mike Tomlin and the Steelers had a running-back-by-committee approach in mind with their running game this year, that all went away on Wednesday," Kaboly observed. The Steelers had been rationing James Conner's summer reps in an effort to keep him fresh, but all signs have pointed to the contract-year back getting another shot at three-down duties. Conner has had trouble staying healthy with such voluminous workloads, but he rather famously reported in the "best shape of his life" this summer.

https://theathletic.com/2040466/2020/09/02/kabolys-10-observations-a-shift-to-game-week-work-puts-james-conner-on-display/

On 8/30/2020 at 10:33 AM, kyoun1e said:

Drafted him last night mid 3rd as my RB2, Snell in the 15th

Wasnt my plan at all but seemed like a good idea at the time 

10 team ppr

23 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I wouldn't totally discount McFarland.  Snell didn't show much last year.

Snell has had a huge camp. I wasn't high on him last year but significant chance he cuts into Conner's workload this year and he's the favorite to start for them next year. Cheap must grab in dynasty imo.

• Like 1

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said James Conner is the team's unquestioned bell cow.

"There is no question about who our bell cow is," Tomlin emphasized. "It's James Conner and he's our primary toter." The Steelers had been rotating Conner's reps in camp not to promote a committee, but to keep the 25-year-old fresh ahead of the regular season. He's had trouble staying healthy with such workloads in the past, but his injury history is already baked into his Average Draft Position as fantasy's overall RB15. Conner could easily reward those ignoring recency bias with top-10 production before hitting the open market as an unrestricted free agent next summer.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Sep 8, 2020, 12:24 PM ET

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said the team will "leave the light on" for James Conner (ankle) in Week 2.

Tomlin added that he doesn't have any "long-term concerns" about Conner's durability, and therein lies the issue with prioritizing Benny Snell on waivers. Much like last year when he battled numerous injuries and was constantly in and out of Pittsburgh's lineup, Conner is expected to fight back and be utilized as the team's bell-cow when healthy — 'when' being the key word. Snell logically offers short-term value, but the Steelers will likely be without RT Zach Banner (torn ACL) and RG Stephen Wisniewski (torn pectoral) for the year. Consider Conner questionable for Sunday.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Sep 15, 2020, 11:17 AM ET

James Conner (ankle) did not practice Wednesday.

As expected. Conner missed the entire second half against the Giants after totaling nine yards on six carries in the opening 30 minutes. The Steelers will "leave the light on" for Conner to play Week 2 against Denver, but the smart money is on him missing that one. Benny Snell was a workhorse back in Conner's absence Monday and will immediately become a volume-driven RB2 against the Broncos.

RELATED: 

Benny Snell

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Sep 16, 2020, 4:05 PM ET

James Conner (ankle) was a full participant in Thursday's practice.

It's a miraculous turnaround for Conner, who missed practice entirely on Wednesday. Although he was entrusted as the team's bell-cow prior to injury in Week 1, it's still plausible Conner cedes touches and snaps to Benny Snell after the latter appeared (much) more explosive off the bench. Conner's designation following Friday's practice will be worth monitoring.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Sep 17, 2020, 4:08 PM ET

Absolute joke he's back practicing already. 

I mean...what kind of a wuss is this guy? So injured he had to leave the game...and then he's back at practice already? On a short freaking week??

Honestly, again...he's either the biggest wuss every or there is something else going on here. On the gameday thread I mentioned that Conner was waiving his arms in frustration after a stuffed run and was even observed being animated on the sideline. I have to wonder if some of this was Tomlin sending a message.

15 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Absolute joke he's back practicing already. 

I mean...what kind of a wuss is this guy? So injured he had to leave the game...and then he's back at practice already? On a short freaking week??

Honestly, again...he's either the biggest wuss every or there is something else going on here. On the gameday thread I mentioned that Conner was waiving his arms in frustration after a stuffed run and was even observed being animated on the sideline. I have to wonder if some of this was Tomlin sending a message.

If you watched the game, it was pretty clear that he wanted back in. Tomlin apparently decided Snell was doing well enough that there was no reason to play an injured running back.  Pretty weird claiming a guy who practiced through chemotherapy while beating cancer is a wuss.

• Like 11

Steelers RB James Conner will play in Week 2 against the Broncos.

He participated in full for the second straight practice and was promptly removed from the team's injury report. He'll play against the Broncos, though it remains unclear if he'll enter the starting lineup as Pittburgh's bell-cow one last time. Benny Snell provided a spark off the bench in Week 1 but can't be considered anything more than a thin FLEX with handcuff upside until Conner's role (or another injury) is unveiled. Both are questionable plays for fantasy until we know more.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Sep 18, 2020, 2:35 PM ET