What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Conner, ARZ (3 Viewers)

How did he look? Stats showed a 3.3 ypc average before the 49 yard run doubled his day. The good news for Conner owners is that Snell didn't get much run.

@pghrob for the love of God rename the thread1!

James Conner rushed 16 times for 116 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 2 win over the Broncos, adding two receptions for 15 yards. 

Conner managed a decent statistical day with a 59-yard run as the Steelers bled the clock late in the game. He had little room to run against Denver, though he dominated backfield duties after missing most of the team's Week 1 game with an ankle injury. Benny Snell saw three carries, fumbling once. Conner is a locked-in RB2 option next week against Pittsburgh.

- Rotoworld
Everyone who paid big bucks for Snell congrats, you have an overly expensive insurance policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we good here?
Lol.

Never in a million years would I have thought that Snell, after a super impressive outing last week, would get only 3 carries. Unbelievable.

So I guess Conner is the bell cow?

So far I'm 0-2 on Conner this year. Started him last week and got screwed and benched him this week and got screwed (although subbed in J. Robinson luckily).

He's back in the starting lineup this week so we're all screwed again.

I don't know about that.  Conner had a nice game, but I have a feeling this could be a hot hand situation.

I would classify Conner has a risky boom/bust RB2 going forward.
:no:

Connor wasn't even a hot hand yesterday.  It took a long run at the end to get him over 100 against a tough run D.   It's obvious that Tomlin likes and trusts Connor more, and Snell fumbling on one of his few touches in the 4th Q, which helped get the Broncos back in the game, didn't help his cause either.

Snell fumbled in week 1 as well but Steelers recovered it, he still got the call after that but Conner was injured by then.

... I'm getting flashbacks to the Rashad Penny/Chris Carson war, only difference was Penny was already getting work as the COP/passcatching back.

I think Conner can safely be flexed in your lineup going forward. Snell is a good guy to have on your bench in case of injury as he proved he can handle the carries if needed.
This. I think I'm going to have to trade the likes of D. Swift or Moss to have Snell as an insurance policy. Hate to waste the space but Pitt has always ran a "bellcow" approach, so Snell immediately becomes a very high floor RB2 if Conner goes out. Given Conner's history kinda forced to handcuff.

I may have to go after Conner in my Dynasty league.  Lost CMC, Barkley and Sutton.  Still field a team of Mahomes, Henry, Hopkins, Lockett, Godwin, Kelce.  Had just traded a bunch of bench guys for Barkley.  Looked great on paper.  Is it worth giving a 1st rounder in 2021 to get Conner?

I may have to go after Conner in my Dynasty league.  Lost CMC, Barkley and Sutton.  Still field a team of Mahomes, Henry, Hopkins, Lockett, Godwin, Kelce.  Had just traded a bunch of bench guys for Barkley.  Looked great on paper.  Is it worth giving a 1st rounder in 2021 to get Conner?
No, not a chance I would do that, even if I was RB unhealthy.  2021 is a very good draft for WRs (Chase, Bateman, Waddle, Moore, and others, and TEs (Pitts, Freirermuth, Jordan)  and at least 3 quality QBs (Lawrence, Fields,  Lance)..  Plus RBs like Hubbard, Etienne, Sermon, Harris, Gainwell and White.

James Conner rushed 18 times for 109 yards and a touchdown, adding four catches for 40 yards in Pittsburgh's Week 3 win over the Texans.

Conner's second straight full game unsurprisingly resulted in his second 100-yard performance of the year. He handled 18-of-32 backfield carries and 22 of the team's 37 running back touches, out-carrying Benny Snell 18 to 7 on the day. It's apparent that whenever the oft-injured 25-year-old is available, he's the Steelers' workhorse back despite Anthony McFarland's and Snell's sporadic involvement. Conner will remain a usage-based RB2 for fantasy in Week 4 against the Titans.

Sep 27, 2020, 3:58 PM ET

No.  The featured RB who gets some goal line touches and catches balls in an offense that is likely to be one of the best in the NFL is not one you want to trade, especially since Connor was likely gotten at good value this year.
What about after he breaks a rib sneezing? 

Anyone trying to move him after two good games?  
Zero interest in the one league I still have him in, most people have given up on him staying healthy and resigning for next year. I sent some offers out and one of the counters I received was a 3rd next year.  :rolleyes:

I’ll continue to hold and hope he can stay mostly healthy.

Faust said:
Conner will remain a usage-based RB2 for fantasy in Week 4 against the Titans.
What does this even mean?  Usage based?  Usage is a good thing, isn't it?  So why is he a RB2 for week 4?  

Is it his weekly performance?  You might be able to stretch and find 12 backs you would start ahead of him against a neutral matchup, but in three games he's left one early with injury and played as an rb1 in both of the others. 

Is it the titans match up in week 4?  They've played 3 games, and allowed Melvin Gordon, James Robinson and Dalvin Cook to get 86 and a td, 120 and a td, and 199 and a td. Conner's last two games he has 121 and a td, and 1409 and a td. It seems like an easy projection - he'll probably have over 100 yards and a touchdown again. 

I can understand calling him an rb2 for rest of season if you're not comfortable starting him, and i can understand trying to sell him after two good games if you're scared of injuries, but calling him a "usage-based rb2" for next week is just bad, superficial analysis.

Was more comfortable with Conner when I THOUGHT I had his clear backup in Snell. Now it seems like you would see a combo of Snell, Samuels, and McFarland if Conner were to miss more time.

Riding Conner. And now probably dropping Snell.

Was more comfortable with Conner when I THOUGHT I had his clear backup in Snell. Now it seems like you would see a combo of Snell, Samuels, and McFarland if Conner were to miss more time.

I agree with this.  I thought McFarland's work yesterday was particularly noteworthy.

Yeah. I remember a couple short weeks ago making an agonizing decision to drop Snell to pick up Robinson. Right before week 1 actually. And then Snell went in waivers for $30 real dollars in our system, and then he got dropped again and as far as I know is available. Rollercoaster.

James Conner rushed 15 times for 44 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 5 win over the Eagles.

Conner ceded seven carries to Benny Snell but five of them came in the fourth quarter. Three of those five were on the final drive after Pittsburgh had sealed the game away. Conner should still be expected to see a vast majority of the Steelers' carries going forward. He also caught all three of his targets for 19 yards. He's a high-end RB2 in fantasy and should be started in all leagues because of his usage as a runner and receiver out of the backfield.

- Rotoworld

James Conner rushes 20 times for 101 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers’ Week 6 win over the Browns.

He caught his lone target in the pass game for a one-yard gain. After his rough Week 1, Conner has since posted three 100-yard rushing games and has scored in all four games since the opener. Conner’s short touchdown plunge came after Chase Claypool made a sensational grab deep. Conner is seeing RB1 usage for the 5-0 Steelers as their workhorse and gets the Titans in Week 7.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:10 PM ET

I feel like I called for a thread rename already...

James Conner rushed 15 times for 47 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 8 win against the Ravens. 

Conner finally found pay dirt after having a score overturned and dropped a touchdown last week against the Titans. The Steelers mostly avoided running into the teeth of Baltimore's defense; Conner got 15 of the team's 16 rushes on the day. Conner will remains a high floor fantasy option for as long as he sees most goal line opportunities. He'll be a RB1 option in Week 9 against the Cowboys' horrendous run defense. 

- Rotoworld

This is so confusing. He was solid earlier in the season in more difficult matchups. 

He plays against Dallas and the Bengals the last two weeks and does nothing. 

Haven’t seen much of him or the Steelers this year - is it Conner, the line, or some combination?

The Steelers are not interested in the running game.  It’s Ben’s show and the Steelers will live or die with him. If you have Conner as I do, the sooner you come to grips with that the better 

The Steelers are not interested in the running game.  It’s Ben’s show and the Steelers will live or die with him. If you have Conner as I do, the sooner you come to grips with that the better 
This.  And as a Steelers fan, I honestly don't mind it.  The strength of this offense is easily the playmakers at WR and Ben is now a quick release QB.  He mostly stays in the pocket, throws quick safe passes and lets his extremely talented receivers do their thing.  No need to run that much with their personnel.   :shrug:  

Also a Conner owner and his running has not been impressive lately.

Last three games.

@Bal

• 15 carries
  • 47 rush yards 
  • 3.1 average per carry
@Dal

• 9 carries 
  • 22 yards
  • 2.4 average per carry
Cin

• 13 carries
  • 36 yards
  • 2.8 average per carry
I have to wonder if he is healthy or their is something wrong with the blocking because those numbers are not what you want to be feeding/leaning on.

Also a Conner owner and his running has not been impressive lately.

Last three games.

@Bal

• 15 carries
  • 47 rush yards 
  • 3.1 average per carry
@Dal

• 9 carries 
  • 22 yards
  • 2.4 average per carry
Cin

• 13 carries
  • 36 yards
  • 2.8 average per carry
I have to wonder if he is healthy or their is something wrong with the blocking because those numbers are not what you want to be feeding/leaning on.
Is Tomlin committed to him or do we possibly see more of Snell? Snell had that strong opening game when Conner was out but hasn’t seen the ball much since then. 

Is Tomlin committed to him or do we possibly see more of Snell? Snell had that strong opening game when Conner was out but hasn’t seen the ball much since then. 
Snell has been nothing short of terrible since that opening game. To the point that there’s been speculation the rookie McFarland has passed him on the depth chart. As misused as Connor’s been lately, Snell will be much worse.

Snell has been nothing short of terrible since that opening game. To the point that there’s been speculation the rookie McFarland has passed him on the depth chart. As misused as Connor’s been lately, Snell will be much worse.
Seems like McFarland has made some noise, although he also seems like a smaller less prototypical Steeler-type back. Kind of like Amos Zereoue was.

Something has happened over the last three games.

Over the previous 5 games before this three-game stretch he had a combined:

• 89 carries (17.8 carries per game)
  • 442 rushing yards
  • 4.9 yards per carry
Over the last three games:

• 105 yards
  • 37 carries (12.3 carries per game)
  • 2.8 yards per carry
He is simply not producing so I have to wonder if he's healthy or if something has happened with the blocking because even though he is down about 5 carries per game his average is down by 2 yards per carry going up against some poor run defenses.  It is either him or the blocking because he should be producing more.  

Looking at the numbers I can't fault the coaches because he is still getting over a dozen carries per game, he's just not producing against bad run defenses so I have to ask if he's healthy since he had been producing solidly up to the last three games.

Something has happened over the last three games.

Over the previous 5 games before this three-game stretch he had a combined:

• 89 carries (17.8 carries per game)
  • 442 rushing yards
  • 4.9 yards per carry
Over the last three games:

• 105 yards
  • 37 carries (12.3 carries per game)
  • 2.8 yards per carry
He is simply not producing so I have to wonder if he's healthy or if something has happened with the blocking because even though he is down about 5 carries per game his average is down by 2 yards per carry going up against some poor run defenses.  It is either him or the blocking because he should be producing more.  

Looking at the numbers I can't fault the coaches because he is still getting over a dozen carries per game, he's just not producing against bad run defenses so I have to ask if he's healthy since he had been producing solidly up to the last three games.
What's happening is that the OC is confused about which ex-Pitt back he's coaching. He keeps calling Dion Lewis sweeps for a guy who spent time playing Defensive end on occasion. The guy is a tank and they're trying to turn him into a Ferrari.

Thoughts on him sticking around next year?

My sense is that there won’t be a huge market for his services and that he either takes a slightly better deal elsewhere or re-signs for a modest 2-year deal.

The pass calling and run blocking have been terrible. 

James is by all accounts healthy, but as mentioned earlier, he's not the back you want running sweeps.  When an inside run is called, there appear to be zero lanes.

Not good.

I think until he goes off on the bench one week I will be using the Chase Edmonds and Wayne Gallmans of the world in his stead.

Users who are viewing this thread