Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty Watch 2017 Rookie & Former Pitt RB James Conner


pghrob

Recommended Posts

@pghrob for the love of God rename the thread1!
 

Quote

James Conner rushed 16 times for 116 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 2 win over the Broncos, adding two receptions for 15 yards. 

Conner managed a decent statistical day with a 59-yard run as the Steelers bled the clock late in the game. He had little room to run against Denver, though he dominated backfield duties after missing most of the team's Week 1 game with an ankle injury. Benny Snell saw three carries, fumbling once. Conner is a locked-in RB2 option next week against Pittsburgh.

- Rotoworld

Everyone who paid big bucks for Snell congrats, you have an overly expensive insurance policy.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, seahawk 17 said:

So we good here?

Lol.

Never in a million years would I have thought that Snell, after a super impressive outing last week, would get only 3 carries. Unbelievable.

So I guess Conner is the bell cow?

So far I'm 0-2 on Conner this year. Started him last week and got screwed and benched him this week and got screwed (although subbed in J. Robinson luckily).

He's back in the starting lineup this week so we're all screwed again.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fightingillini said:

I don't know about that.  Conner had a nice game, but I have a feeling this could be a hot hand situation.

I would classify Conner has a risky boom/bust RB2 going forward.

What on earth would make you think this is a ‘hot hand’ situation? Mike Tomlin’s 13 years of not doing a ‘hot hand’ situation?

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, fightingillini said:

I don't know about that.  Conner had a nice game, but I have a feeling this could be a hot hand situation.

I would classify Conner has a risky boom/bust RB2 going forward.

:no:

Connor wasn't even a hot hand yesterday.  It took a long run at the end to get him over 100 against a tough run D.   It's obvious that Tomlin likes and trusts Connor more, and Snell fumbling on one of his few touches in the 4th Q, which helped get the Broncos back in the game, didn't help his cause either.

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

... I'm getting flashbacks to the Rashad Penny/Chris Carson war, only difference was Penny was already getting work as the COP/passcatching back.

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, IHEARTFF said:

I think Conner can safely be flexed in your lineup going forward. Snell is a good guy to have on your bench in case of injury as he proved he can handle the carries if needed.

This. I think I'm going to have to trade the likes of D. Swift or Moss to have Snell as an insurance policy. Hate to waste the space but Pitt has always ran a "bellcow" approach, so Snell immediately becomes a very high floor RB2 if Conner goes out. Given Conner's history kinda forced to handcuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BearsFan4Life said:

I may have to go after Conner in my Dynasty league.  Lost CMC, Barkley and Sutton.  Still field a team of Mahomes, Henry, Hopkins, Lockett, Godwin, Kelce.  Had just traded a bunch of bench guys for Barkley.  Looked great on paper.  Is it worth giving a 1st rounder in 2021 to get Conner?

No, not a chance I would do that, even if I was RB unhealthy.  2021 is a very good draft for WRs (Chase, Bateman, Waddle, Moore, and others, and TEs (Pitts, Freirermuth, Jordan)  and at least 3 quality QBs (Lawrence, Fields,  Lance)..  Plus RBs like Hubbard, Etienne, Sermon, Harris, Gainwell and White.

Edited by JohnnyU
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

James Conner rushed 18 times for 109 yards and a touchdown, adding four catches for 40 yards in Pittsburgh's Week 3 win over the Texans.

Conner's second straight full game unsurprisingly resulted in his second 100-yard performance of the year. He handled 18-of-32 backfield carries and 22 of the team's 37 running back touches, out-carrying Benny Snell 18 to 7 on the day. It's apparent that whenever the oft-injured 25-year-old is available, he's the Steelers' workhorse back despite Anthony McFarland's and Snell's sporadic involvement. Conner will remain a usage-based RB2 for fantasy in Week 4 against the Titans.

Sep 27, 2020, 3:58 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, popeye said:

Anyone trying to move him after two good games?  

No.  The featured RB who gets some goal line touches and catches balls in an offense that is likely to be one of the best in the NFL is not one you want to trade, especially since Connor was likely gotten at good value this year.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ghost Rider said:

No.  The featured RB who gets some goal line touches and catches balls in an offense that is likely to be one of the best in the NFL is not one you want to trade, especially since Connor was likely gotten at good value this year.

What about after he breaks a rib sneezing? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

What about after he breaks a rib sneezing? 

Here is the thing, NFL RBs get injured.  Last year it was conner.  This year its saquon and calf.  And there will be more. 

You have an axe to grind with this player.  Try showing he gets hurt more than others or its true. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, popeye said:

Anyone trying to move him after two good games?  

Zero interest in the one league I still have him in, most people have given up on him staying healthy and resigning for next year. I sent some offers out and one of the counters I received was a 3rd next year. :rolleyes:

I’ll continue to hold and hope he can stay mostly healthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, Faust said:

Conner will remain a usage-based RB2 for fantasy in Week 4 against the Titans.

What does this even mean?  Usage based?  Usage is a good thing, isn't it?  So why is he a RB2 for week 4?  

Is it his weekly performance?  You might be able to stretch and find 12 backs you would start ahead of him against a neutral matchup, but in three games he's left one early with injury and played as an rb1 in both of the others. 

Is it the titans match up in week 4?  They've played 3 games, and allowed Melvin Gordon, James Robinson and Dalvin Cook to get 86 and a td, 120 and a td, and 199 and a td. Conner's last two games he has 121 and a td, and 1409 and a td. It seems like an easy projection - he'll probably have over 100 yards and a touchdown again. 

I can understand calling him an rb2 for rest of season if you're not comfortable starting him, and i can understand trying to sell him after two good games if you're scared of injuries, but calling him a "usage-based rb2" for next week is just bad, superficial analysis.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kyoun1e said:

Was more comfortable with Conner when I THOUGHT I had his clear backup in Snell. Now it seems like you would see a combo of Snell, Samuels, and McFarland if Conner were to miss more time.

Riding Conner. And now probably dropping Snell.

I agree with this.  I thought McFarland's work yesterday was particularly noteworthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Was more comfortable with Conner when I THOUGHT I had his clear backup in Snell. Now it seems like you would see a combo of Snell, Samuels, and McFarland if Conner were to miss more time.

Riding Conner. And now probably dropping Snell.

Yeah. I remember a couple short weeks ago making an agonizing decision to drop Snell to pick up Robinson. Right before week 1 actually. And then Snell went in waivers for $30 real dollars in our system, and then he got dropped again and as far as I know is available. Rollercoaster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Quote

James Conner rushed 15 times for 44 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 5 win over the Eagles.

Conner ceded seven carries to Benny Snell but five of them came in the fourth quarter. Three of those five were on the final drive after Pittsburgh had sealed the game away. Conner should still be expected to see a vast majority of the Steelers' carries going forward. He also caught all three of his targets for 19 yards. He's a high-end RB2 in fantasy and should be started in all leagues because of his usage as a runner and receiver out of the backfield.

- Rotoworld

 

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

James Conner rushes 20 times for 101 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers’ Week 6 win over the Browns.

He caught his lone target in the pass game for a one-yard gain. After his rough Week 1, Conner has since posted three 100-yard rushing games and has scored in all four games since the opener. Conner’s short touchdown plunge came after Chase Claypool made a sensational grab deep. Conner is seeing RB1 usage for the 5-0 Steelers as their workhorse and gets the Titans in Week 7.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:10 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I feel like I called for a thread rename already...
 

Quote

James Conner rushed 15 times for 47 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 8 win against the Ravens. 

Conner finally found pay dirt after having a score overturned and dropped a touchdown last week against the Titans. The Steelers mostly avoided running into the teeth of Baltimore's defense; Conner got 15 of the team's 16 rushes on the day. Conner will remains a high floor fantasy option for as long as he sees most goal line opportunities. He'll be a RB1 option in Week 9 against the Cowboys' horrendous run defense. 

- Rotoworld

 

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

The Steelers are not interested in the running game.  It’s Ben’s show and the Steelers will live or die with him. If you have Conner as I do, the sooner you come to grips with that the better 

This.  And as a Steelers fan, I honestly don't mind it.  The strength of this offense is easily the playmakers at WR and Ben is now a quick release QB.  He mostly stays in the pocket, throws quick safe passes and lets his extremely talented receivers do their thing.  No need to run that much with their personnel.  :shrug: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

The Steelers are not interested in the running game.  It’s Ben’s show and the Steelers will live or die with him. If you have Conner as I do, the sooner you come to grips with that the better 

Also a Conner owner and his running has not been impressive lately.

Last three games.

@Bal

  • 15 carries
  • 47 rush yards 
  • 3.1 average per carry

@Dal

  • 9 carries 
  • 22 yards
  • 2.4 average per carry

Cin

  • 13 carries
  • 36 yards
  • 2.8 average per carry

I have to wonder if he is healthy or their is something wrong with the blocking because those numbers are not what you want to be feeding/leaning on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Also a Conner owner and his running has not been impressive lately.

Last three games.

@Bal

  • 15 carries
  • 47 rush yards 
  • 3.1 average per carry

@Dal

  • 9 carries 
  • 22 yards
  • 2.4 average per carry

Cin

  • 13 carries
  • 36 yards
  • 2.8 average per carry

I have to wonder if he is healthy or their is something wrong with the blocking because those numbers are not what you want to be feeding/leaning on.

Is Tomlin committed to him or do we possibly see more of Snell? Snell had that strong opening game when Conner was out but hasn’t seen the ball much since then. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Is Tomlin committed to him or do we possibly see more of Snell? Snell had that strong opening game when Conner was out but hasn’t seen the ball much since then. 

Snell has been nothing short of terrible since that opening game. To the point that there’s been speculation the rookie McFarland has passed him on the depth chart. As misused as Connor’s been lately, Snell will be much worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Snell has been nothing short of terrible since that opening game. To the point that there’s been speculation the rookie McFarland has passed him on the depth chart. As misused as Connor’s been lately, Snell will be much worse.

Seems like McFarland has made some noise, although he also seems like a smaller less prototypical Steeler-type back. Kind of like Amos Zereoue was.

Edited by zamboni
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something has happened over the last three games.

Over the previous 5 games before this three-game stretch he had a combined:

  • 89 carries (17.8 carries per game)
  • 442 rushing yards
  • 4.9 yards per carry

Over the last three games:

  • 105 yards
  • 37 carries (12.3 carries per game)
  • 2.8 yards per carry

He is simply not producing so I have to wonder if he's healthy or if something has happened with the blocking because even though he is down about 5 carries per game his average is down by 2 yards per carry going up against some poor run defenses.  It is either him or the blocking because he should be producing more.  

Looking at the numbers I can't fault the coaches because he is still getting over a dozen carries per game, he's just not producing against bad run defenses so I have to ask if he's healthy since he had been producing solidly up to the last three games.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Something has happened over the last three games.

Over the previous 5 games before this three-game stretch he had a combined:

  • 89 carries (17.8 carries per game)
  • 442 rushing yards
  • 4.9 yards per carry

Over the last three games:

  • 105 yards
  • 37 carries (12.3 carries per game)
  • 2.8 yards per carry

He is simply not producing so I have to wonder if he's healthy or if something has happened with the blocking because even though he is down about 5 carries per game his average is down by 2 yards per carry going up against some poor run defenses.  It is either him or the blocking because he should be producing more.  

Looking at the numbers I can't fault the coaches because he is still getting over a dozen carries per game, he's just not producing against bad run defenses so I have to ask if he's healthy since he had been producing solidly up to the last three games.

What's happening is that the OC is confused about which ex-Pitt back he's coaching. He keeps calling Dion Lewis sweeps for a guy who spent time playing Defensive end on occasion. The guy is a tank and they're trying to turn him into a Ferrari.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...