What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Conner, ARZ (2 Viewers)

Bell may well be "better" but i've loved following this guy this year and rooting for him, not just from a fantasy perspective (though he's had some huge games and that's been fun too) but also on a likeable human level. Even if Bell comes back and eventually takes over the majority of the plays, I think Conner will still get some work, he's done too much good this year not to.
You're not alone. Roethlisberger told a story on his weekly radio program on Tuesday: Ben's family was, of course, at Sunday's game when the fans were chanting "Conner, Conner!" every time he touched the ball towards the end of the game.  When Ben got home, his son (who's about 5 years old?) wanted to play catch.  So, "much to the distress" of Ben's wife, they started throwing the football back and forth in the living room.  Every time Ben's son caught a pass he (the son) would hold up his arms and chant "Conner, Conner!"  To quote Ben: "I guess I know who his favorite Steeler is. I told James, 'Thanks for being a great role model for my son. But, don't let it go to your head.' "

Only benched Conner once this year, week 4 against the Ravens. I felt at that time, his workload was a bit low previous week or two and the matchup was horrible. Felt like a huge gamble that happened to pay off. I'm not thinking of benching him this week, despite facing the same opponent. Getting too much volume plus catches to even consider it.

Only benched Conner once this year, week 4 against the Ravens. I felt at that time, his workload was a bit low previous week or two and the matchup was horrible. Felt like a huge gamble that happened to pay off. I'm not thinking of benching him this week, despite facing the same opponent. Getting too much volume plus catches to even consider it.
We need to definitely have realistic expectations this week, but I agree, you can’t bench him. 

We need to definitely have realistic expectations this week, but I agree, you can’t bench him. 
Sooo tempted to go A. Jones or DJ Moore over him, but will not.

Gotta think PIT knows about Big Ben's woes on the road. Pound the rock with  Connor.

I'm thinking...conservatively...50-60 yards rushing with a 50% chance at a score and 4 receptions for 28 yards. So a PPR floor of 14. I'll take that.

Sooo tempted to go A. Jones or DJ Moore over him, but will not.

Gotta think PIT knows about Big Ben's woes on the road. Pound the rock with  Connor.

I'm thinking...conservatively...50-60 yards rushing with a 50% chance at a score and 4 receptions for 28 yards. So a PPR floor of 14. I'll take that.
Conner has earned the right to be in the "always start your studs" category.  That is, unless you have a plethora of studs.

James Conner delivered 107 yards on 24 carries while adding seven catches for 56 yards and a touchdown on nine targets Sunday in Pittsburgh’s Week 9 win over the Ravens.

Conner, who spent the bulk of last season filling up Gatorade cups for workhorse Le'Veon Bell, has now gone over 100 rushing yards in four straight games. The knock on Conner has been that most of his damage this year has come against subpar defenses but obviously that wasn't the case on Sunday. The former Pitt Panther had more yards from scrimmage on the Steelers' first two drives (57) than he did all game when he faced the Ravens at home in Week 4 (44 yards on 12 touches). His lone touchdown came on a seven-yard screen from Ben Roethlisberger with time winding down in the first quarter. That marked the first receiving score of his two-year career. With Bell nowhere to be found, Conner will maintain his upper-echelon RB1 status next week when the Steelers host Carolina on Thursday Night Football.

Nov 4 - 4:26 PM

I just don’t see how Bell becomes the main 

guy when he returns. Maybe a 60/40 split. 
I'm going to keep saying it until it's not true: I don't think Bell plays another down in a Steeler uniform.

There is NO way they mess with what they have right now. The Steelers are getting elite production from the RB position, the locker room is intact, and most importantly, the Steelers are winning. 

I'm going to keep saying it until it's not true: I don't think Bell plays another down in a Steeler uniform.

There is NO way they mess with what they have right now. The Steelers are getting elite production from the RB position, the locker room is intact, and most importantly, the Steelers are winning. 
I hope you are right! 

James Conner rushed 13 times for 65 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 10 win over the Panthers, adding an eight-yard reception before departing with a possible concussion.

Conner was announced as "questionable" early in the fourth quarter but was never going to return with the Steelers winning 52-14. His status is unclear. Conner was in and out of the medical tent all evening. The abbreviated night helped snap a string of four-straight 129-plus yard performances. In addition to his head injury, the big question for Conner's Week 11 will be the potential return of Le'Veon Bell. Even if Bell is back, we expect Conner to start against the Jaguars.

Nov 8 - 11:21 PM

Anyone know what the nature of his injury was? Head? Other?

I'm assuming this was insignificant. Think there was a sideline moment where Tomlin gave him a hug before he went off prior to the end of the game as if to say, "Good game. We're killing them. Take the rest of the night off."

Did anybody see the hit on Conner that started all the potential "concussion" talk?  I didn't see most of the third quarter.  I did think Conner looked a bit off on his last run of the night.  Just seemed like he did not have his balance and ran awkwardly before getting wrapped up.

AWFUL timing to go into concussion protocol especially with L'Bell's decision looming over the nest few days. ?

Might be worthy of it's own thread ...

How are guys going into the tent, then coming back out to play (semingly cleared) ... and then at the end of the game, getting placed in the concussion protocol. I seriously don't know -- maybe some concussions have delayed reactions ( @Dr. Dan ) ?

How are guys going into the tent, then coming back out to play (semingly cleared) ... and then at the end of the game, getting placed in the concussion protocol. I seriously don't know -- maybe some concussions have delayed reactions ( @Dr. Dan ) ?
Yeah, I wonder when the hit actually took place. He did take a high shot at the end of his TD run in the first quarter.

He was out for a couple series in the first half after the TD, when he typically wouldn't be.

Sideline reporter said after the half that tomlin was just giving short week rest, but next thing you know he plays a series, then ends up in the tent.

Last edited by a moderator:

When I had my concussion, symptoms started 12 hours after the hit. So the answer to that question is I guess so. ?

Yes. Swelling can cause more obvious symptoms later on. Without seeing the hit I'm guessing it is a mild concussion. He should be fine next game as he has extra rest time

Yeah, symptoms can definitely be delayed, which is why part of the game management for hits to the helmet in high school are to pull the player out of the game to allow for monitoring of the player.  Symptoms can be delayed for 24 hours, even later in rare occasions.

The Steelers have had multiple shady concussion issues where guys who were obviously concussed kept playing or got cleared to go back in and then diagnosed with a concussion after the game. 

I'm surprised the league hasn't smacked them down on this issue yet. 

The Steelers have had multiple shady concussion issues where guys who were obviously concussed kept playing or got cleared to go back in and then diagnosed with a concussion after the game. 

I'm surprised the league hasn't smacked them down on this issue yet. 
You are aware that the call to pull a player out and examine for a concussion comes from an independent MD watching the replays? and once that player is flagged, in order to go back in the game, he has to be cleared by another independent MD on the sidelines doing the exam- not paid by either team. you can see who he is because he is wearing a colored hat, usually yellow I believe

The Steelers have abolsutely zero say and zero ability to put the player back in. 

You are aware that the call to pull a player out and examine for a concussion comes from an independent MD watching the replays? and once that player is flagged, in order to go back in the game, he has to be cleared by another independent MD on the sidelines doing the exam- not paid by either team. you can see who he is because he is wearing a colored hat, usually yellow I believe

The Steelers have abolsutely zero say and zero ability to put the player back in. 
Is he going to be OK?  Please say yes...

And yet, somehow, similar incidents have happened multiple times in Pittsburgh.

No one even considers that the testing being done isnt 100% and can produce false negatives...

In the medical world, a test that has 80% sensitivity or specificity is pretty darn good... and a test that has 80% sensitivity AND specificity is almost unheard of 

ETA: for you non medical or statistical people, sensitivity is a tests ability to rule OUT a problem. Specificity is the tests ability to rule IN a problem. 

A test that is really good at ruling IN a concussion (high specificity) can have a low sensitivity. So what that means is, if you test negative on that test, it does not mean you likely dont have a concussion.

I'll explain... a test that has 96% specificity and 45% sensitivity with regards to testing for a concussion ... If you test positive it means you have a 96% chance of having a concussion. If you test negative on that same test it means you have a 45% chance of not being concussed.

It's why we see false negatives from sideline testing and it's a major limitation on these basic tests. But, it's the best we got without subjecting these guys to unneccessary massive amounts of radiation 

This is the limitation on our medical tests and often why we want to test both to rule things IN and to rule things OUT.

Here is a great study that shows how the SCAT3 has great specificity and not as good sensitivity in university athletes. The SCAT5 is comparable to the SCAT3 statistically. I dont have the time right now to dig up the articles 

Just in case Connor stays in concussion protocol and Lev Bell is a no show, who's up next on the depth chart? Is anyone else a decent handcuff?

Just in case Connor stays in concussion protocol and Lev Bell is a no show, who's up next on the depth chart? Is anyone else a decent handcuff?
I think Samuels would eventually win out over Ridley. Steelers rely heavily on the RB’s ability to catch as an outlet for Ben... Ridley isn’t and has never been that.

James Conner rushed 13 times for 53 yards and hauled in all four of his targets for 42 yards in the Steelers' Week 12 loss to the Broncos.

After struggling last week against the Jaguars, Conner was not able to get much going early in this one. He recorded just 24 yards on seven first-half carries, although he did add 19 yards on three catches. He started to get things going after the break, gaining 28 yards on five carries, but that momentum came to halt when he lost a fumble at the end of the third quarter. He did not touch the ball again until he was given a shot to redeem himself with under two minutes left in the game, but he was stuffed on second-and-goal. Ben Roethlisberger was intercepted on the next play. Conner has slowed down the last couple weeks, but he will still be a solid RB1 next week against the Chargers.

Nov 25 - 8:02 PM

Somewhere along the line, the Steelers decided it made sense for Ben to pass on every play instead of running against the #27 rush defense. And, since they were down to their 3rd-string right tackle, that meant keeping Conner in the backfield to help block Von Miller. Brilliant.

Somewhere along the line, the Steelers decided it made sense for Ben to pass on every play instead of running against the #27 rush defense. And, since they were down to their 3rd-string right tackle, that meant keeping Conner in the backfield to help block Von Miller. Brilliant.
That 27th ranking takes into account a couple of absolutely horrid performances by the DEN rush D earlier in the season. They have stiffened up considerably. This was NOT as good a rushing matchup as advertised.

That said, feel like I've seen this movie before with the Steelers. Them getting away from the run, get pass happy, lose. Something tells me this will be corrected.

Conner is no longer a "must start RB1" but he's still going to be tough to sit most weeks due to involvement in the passing game.

Meh, I've been riding the Conner train since week one, but I'm not going to pin use on bad coaching. For whatever reason, Conner has made some key mistakes (pass drops/fumbles) ever since Bell decided to sit out the season. That's going to impact the trust level. Just odd. Hopefully he gets his head on straight for the stretch run.

Am I missing something or was that the worst play calling ever at the end of that game. Two minutes to go, first and goal from the two yard line, need a TD to tie, and they throw the ball and stop the clock? Then they run. Then they throw again?

How do you not run the ball on all three downs to kill clock if you don't make it? I just don't understand it.

#frustratedConnerOwner

I don’t think I need to win in the leagues I’m doing this but I’m going with Ekeler over Conner this week. I’d like to see the Steelers recommit to getting him the same kind of volume as earlier in the season.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/29442/despite-fumble-steelers-will-need-more-james-conner-down-stretch

LAC are very good vs WRs and QBs, mediocre against RBs. Gotta think things correct this week.

I have a Chubb vs Conner decision and going Conner. HOU run D is impossible.
I need to pick two from DJ, Conner and Chubb. Was leaning DJ and Chubb until I see the correction for Conner but it's tough, don't think any of them have "great" match-ups. One thing i'm sick of though with regards to Johnson specifically, is Arizona's stupid play-calling, Rosen's dumb ints and them being down 31-7 mid-game almost every week.

For this week, I think Steelers know LAC offensively can hang with most teams so they *may* try to control the clock instead of throwing every down like the past 3 games. You would honestly think they might have learned by now...

I need to pick two from DJ, Conner and Chubb. Was leaning DJ and Chubb until I see the correction for Conner but it's tough, don't think any of them have "great" match-ups. One thing i'm sick of though with regards to Johnson specifically, is Arizona's stupid play-calling, Rosen's dumb ints and them being down 31-7 mid-game almost every week.

For this week, I think Steelers know LAC offensively can hang with most teams so they *may* try to control the clock instead of throwing every down like the past 3 games. You would honestly think they might have learned by now...
It's a tough choice for sure.

What I don't like about Conner's situation (lack of commitment to the run at times) is what I love about Chubb's situation (commitment to the run). CLE pounds the rock even when Chubb is getting stuffed. His statline always looks horrible midway through the game. Then he busts one for 25. 

All things being equal, I'd have to go Conner. And I think there's a decent chance it's more "equal" this week in terms of touches.

Users who are viewing this thread