What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Conner, ARZ (3 Viewers)

Is anyone worth chasing here? You've got Samuel, Ridley, Switzer. Sounds like it could just be a committee. And/or Ben just slinging it.

While they seem to like Ryan Switzer, I think Jaylen Samuels will be the guy to have here.  Though, they seem reluctant to give any RB not named Lev Bell a substantial amount of work, so I think his ceiling is a bit limited.

I could see 10 carries and 5 catches though.  Say 75 yards and a TD?  Could be more, could be less, but the match up is a good one.

Switzer is a 185 lb wr with 5 carries this year...
Philip Lindsay and Matt Brieda, 185 lb players with over 900 yds each... I think your point evades me.

Never mind... I see that this was a post about someone confusing Switzers position. Maybe just say that instead of insinuating he’s too small to play in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that the OP confused Switzer's position.  I think it is reasonable to consider the slot WR as taking some of the workload from the injured starting RB that catches many short passes.

Iceman03 said:
Philip Lindsay and Matt Brieda, 185 lb players with over 900 yds each... I think your point evades me.

Never mind... I see that this was a post about someone confusing Switzers position. Maybe just say that instead of insinuating he’s too small to play in the league.
Seriously your takeaway from my post was that Switzer is too small to play in the league? Really weird take.

Anybody gambling and just dropping Conner?  I would have to drop either Elkler, Gordon, Mack, Michel, or Ware instead of  Conner to pick up Samuel.

Anybody gambling and just dropping Conner?  I would have to drop either Elkler, Gordon, Mack, Michel, or Ware instead of  Conner to pick up Samuel.
You can probably afford to dump Ekeler. I wouldn't want to drop Conner, just to see him playing in week 15 or more likely 16. If Conner can make it back this year, they'll push him to play, the Steelers are no lock for the playoffs, with some really tough games after this Oakland game. 9-6-1 seems like the most likely record for the Steelers to me, unless they can upset the Patriots or Saints.

Well I got my wish.  I dropped Conner.  I just dont see him coming back and being startable.  Its just my gut, but thats how I feel.  IF, we played in 16, hes just 3 weeks removed from whats probably a HAS.  I just dont see it.

Well I got my wish.  I dropped Conner.  I just dont see him coming back and being startable.  Its just my gut, but thats how I feel.  IF, we played in 16, hes just 3 weeks removed from whats probably a HAS.  I just dont see it.
Minus any new information I don't agree with that move at all. 

Would have easily dropped Ekeler (who looked horrible, J. Jackson may take bigger piece of pie, Gordon coming back) or M. Mack (horrible schedule next two weeks and seems to only perform when the matchup is there).

We don't know for sure if it's a HAS sprain. I don't own Conner anywhere, so it would make my playoff runs easier if he was done for the season, but I don't see how you could drop him if you had him. I would have dropped Ekeler or maybe Ware if you really needed Samuel (or just left Samuel on the wire, it's not sure thing he produces).

James Conner (ankle) is questionable for Week 15 against the Patriots.

Conner returned to a limited practice on Friday, giving him a shot to play Sunday against New England. One limited practice might not do the trick coming off a high-ankle sprain (generally a 2-4 week injury), though Conner may gut it out in a must-win game for Pittsburgh. If Conner can't get the green light, rookie Jaylen Samuels would slide in as the feature back for Sunday's shootout at Heinz Field.
Just rest up for week 16 and let Jaylen take care of business this week.

Disclaimer: Connor and Samuels owner.

As a Conner and Samuels owner I think we’re all thinking the same thing. Take the extra week and give way to Samuels one more week. If he’s somehow active, which I have trouble seeing, I don’t think I would feel good running the risk of reaffirmation during the game. I will have to bench both him and Samuels for James White and hope it’s a heavy check down game plan from the Pats. Being that they lost last week without Whites involvement makes me think they will utilize him early and often but even that’s a crap shoot.

As a Conner and Samuels owner I think we’re all thinking the same thing. Take the extra week and give way to Samuels one more week. If he’s somehow active, which I have trouble seeing, I don’t think I would feel good running the risk of reaffirmation during the game. I will have to bench both him and Samuels for James White and hope it’s a heavy check down game plan from the Pats. Being that they lost last week without Whites involvement makes me think they will utilize him early and often but even that’s a crap shoot.
I too have vested interest in the Connor recovery. I don't own him, but I will start 2 of 3 of the following at TE and Flex: Samuels, White, or Gronk depending upon the status of Conner. Last week I sat Gronk. Ouch! Still got the W. This week White goes to the bench? NE RB's LOL. Could be a White dump off game? Anyhow, I am heavily invested in this game. I also start JuJu in this same league and BIG BEN in another league semi-final match up.

This is tough with all these Saturday games if you don’t own Samuel... me.

I only have Ian Thomas as an even dart throw behind Connor in my flex. 

I have a few RB2/3 options today but none offer the upside of Connor.

Wish they’d just declare him out.

Luckily, my decision is between Conner and Chris Carson (both 4pm). I’m debating just playing Carson for the safety in case he does play and is either limited or reinjures himself.

Officially listed doubtful. Both good and sad news. Good because we can adjust accordingly before today’s games if need be. Sad because I had a glimmer of hope he’d save me

I'm in the championship of a 16-team keeper auction league.  I cannot keep Conner.  I'm considering cutting him to pick up Jamaal Williams.  Starting to look like Conner is going to be out again as he didn't practice at all today.  I've got Chubb and Johnson, Hilton and Diggs so he would be a flex.  I'm not crazy am I?  I'm starting to think he might sit even if he does practice again with the showing Samuel had last week, just so he's healthy for the playoffs.

I'm in the championship of a 16-team keeper auction league.  I cannot keep Conner.  I'm considering cutting him to pick up Jamaal Williams.  Starting to look like Conner is going to be out again as he didn't practice at all today.  I've got Chubb and Johnson, Hilton and Diggs so he would be a flex.  I'm not crazy am I?  I'm starting to think he might sit even if he does practice again with the showing Samuel had last week, just so he's healthy for the playoffs.
If he's not going to be one of your keepers, then cut him. You cannot trust him this week even if he does play. 

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette confirms James Conner (ankle) is unlikely to play against the Saints.

Specifically, longtime beat reporter Ed Bouchette wrote Conner "should" miss another game, which aligns with Conner's pessimistic-sounding comments when he couldn't practice on Wednesday. Jaylen Samuels is all set to make his third straight start. Conner admitted his recovery has reached an unpredictable state. The Steelers shouldn't be counting on him for Week 17, either.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 

Dec 19 - 9:56 PM

Surprisingly little talk about this guy (here) after the season he had and the off-season the Steelers had. I don't own him anywhere but I do own Samuels in a couple spots. But honestly I didn't get to watch much of either player last year. I just saw some highlights and box scores. 

On some other threads people seem skeptical of Conner moving forward. I'm not saying they're wrong but what is the argument against him being the guy? 

I don't have the answers because it's something I've been trying to figure out myself, but it's a good question and also surprised at the lack of chatter.  The new RB coach is Samuels old coach in college, Samuels can hurt Connor's ppr value due to his pass catching, and Pitt's offense will obviously be hurt with AB leaving, just not sure how much Connor will be hurt by those things.

Ahh not that concerned since they are late round prospects.  Might have an interest in depth or ST play but saw this.

------------

Sigmund Bloom‏ @SigmundBloom

They are hammering RB in pre-draft visits, but at least this trio is all late-round/undrafted instead of second day picks like Sanders and Harris

Sigmund Bloom added, Joe Rutter @tribjoerutter

The Steelers have 5 predraft visitors Tuesday: Linebacker David Long (West Virginia), wide receiver Miles Boykin (Notre Dame), running back Travis Homer (MIami), running back Jordan Scarlett (Florida), RB Mike Weber (Ohio State).

9:17 AM - 2 Apr 2019

The Steelers have experimented with two-back formations in OTAs.

James Conner and Jaylen Samuels were usually employed separately last year, though the Steelers are excited about the possibility of using both at the same time. "To have that dual threat with me and him in the game, it could be really scary for defenses," said Samuels. Conner will likely do the heavy lifting in Pittsburgh's backfield if healthy, but Samuels, a converted tight end who recorded 455 yards (256 rushing, 199 receiving) as a rookie, is obviously no slouch. With Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown both gone, look for Pittsburgh to mix it up on offense this year.

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

May 24, 2019, 4:47 PM ET

Team Guy.  Runs really hard. Good pass catcher.  Teams will play the Steelers differently without AB out there.  Wont have to carry as a heavy as a load as last year with Samuels up to speed. I still think he finishes inside the top 10 for RBs if he stays healthy.  

James Conner expects the Steelers to "spread out" backfield touches "pretty evenly."

Conner was used as a workhorse when healthy last season, but the emergence of Jaylen Samuels while Conner was injured could lead to more of a timeshare moving forward. Pittsburgh could also look to use the two backs in tandem, which they reportedly experimented with during the offseason program. Conner is still the favorite for carries, but he will likely lose at least some passing-down snaps to Samuels.

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Jun 13, 2019, 9:33 AM ET

This news has to definitely take him out of the first round consideration right? I've seen him going at the end of the first in some drafts but now there's no way for me.

I dont see it.  I think he will be the workhorse.  

I think it will be like it was last year after he came back form the injury.  He will get a series off here and there.  NBD imo.  

could be wrong.  total speculation.  

Conner seems like a real humble guy (“I haven’t earned anything yet”), so I don’t think him saying that the backfield will be spread pretty evenly is absolutely indicative of what the Steelers are actually planning on.

I dont see it.  I think he will be the workhorse.  

I think it will be like it was last year after he came back form the injury.  He will get a series off here and there.  NBD imo.  

could be wrong.  total speculation.  
I agree.  There were 3 games last year where Conner got less than 10 carries and his YPC in those games was 2.34(compared to 4.53 on the year).  Two of those defenses were Baltimore and Jacksonville, but the other was Kansas City.  The other Baltimore game he had 24 carries for 107 yards. 

He gets better as the game goes on and wears the defenses down.  He needs volume to be at his best. 

Samuels will take a fair number of the third down reps.

As for Snell, well the Steelers don't typically play rookie RBs very much.  Samuels didn't have more than 5 carries in a game last year until Conner got hurt.  Conner never had more than 5 carries in his rookie year.  Lev Bell got meaningful carries in his rookie year, but there was no established vet in front of him, and his YPC that year was a measly 3.5.

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly believes the Steelers' plan to split backfield work is "lip service more than anything else."

James Conner made fantasy waves last week by saying he expects the backfield touches to be "spread out pretty evenly." Kaboly does not seem to doubt that is Pittsburgh's plan right now, but he expects the offense to fall back on its workhorse ways once the season rolls around. Conner proved last year he can return RB1 value in this offense, but that would become more difficult if Jaylen Samuels starts stealing touches.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 18, 2019, 8:46 AM ET

I'm a diehard Steelers fan, but I'm terrified of drafting James Conner. I just have 0 clue what his usage is going to be, and it seems like the Steelers don't know either. Ideally they'd like to keep him fresh and prevent injury, but he's the type of back that bruises a defense and gets better and better as the game goes on. If they limit him to 12 carries a game, he might not be as dominant as he was because he hasn't had a chance to wear the opponent down. My hope is that he's able to get 20 touches a game and stay healthy, if he can do that I foresee him being a top 6 fantasy RB. But I wouldn't be surprised if he handles half the load, and Snell and Samuels combine for the other half of the load. This would make Conner closer to a top tier RB2 for me. 

I'm a diehard Steelers fan, but I'm terrified of drafting James Conner. I just have 0 clue what his usage is going to be, and it seems like the Steelers don't know either. Ideally they'd like to keep him fresh and prevent injury, but he's the type of back that bruises a defense and gets better and better as the game goes on. If they limit him to 12 carries a game, he might not be as dominant as he was because he hasn't had a chance to wear the opponent down. My hope is that he's able to get 20 touches a game and stay healthy, if he can do that I foresee him being a top 6 fantasy RB. But I wouldn't be surprised if he handles half the load, and Snell and Samuels combine for the other half of the load. This would make Conner closer to a top tier RB2 for me. 
I just don't see Snell getting a big percentage of this pie due to past usage of RBs in their rookie seasons.  The only outlier is Lev Bell(I even went back farther than the following list but it is more of the same).  The Steelers just don't seem to trust rookie running backs in pass protection.

Steelers drafted RB history - year - player - round - production

• 2019 Benny Snell - Round 4
  • 2018 Jaylen Samuels - Round 5 - 56 carries, 26 catches(many due to the Conner injury)
  • 2017 James Conner - Round 3 - 32 carries
  • 2013 Lev Bell - Round 2 - 244 carries, 45 catches
  • 2012 Chris Rainey - Round 5 - 26 carries, 14 catches
  • 2011 Baron Batch - Round 7 - 25 carries, 4 catches
  • 2010 Jon Dwyer - Round 6 - 9 carries
  • 2009 Frank Summers - Round 5 - 0
  • 2008 Rashard Mendenhall - Round 1 - 19 carries, 2 catches(shoulder injury)

I am drafting Conner with confidence.  Almost every single RB in the league will deal with some kind of committee, but they won't have Conner's OL.  Plus I just really like this kid's heart.

Users who are viewing this thread