What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Conner, ARZ (1 Viewer)

I don't think the Steelers are going to change their RB usage under Tomlin.  While he's been the head coach one back has always dominated touches, even in blowouts sometimes.  Unless they change from the way they have always done things Conner is going to be use a lot.

From a football POV I wish they would spread out the carries more, but they just haven't done that under Tomlin.

James Conner said he expects his 2019 role to be "similar" to last season.

"I'll have a similar role," said Conner, who acknowledged the team will approach its game plan on a week-to-week basis. "I know I'll be a big part of it and have a big role." Conner was a revelation last year, exploding for 1,470 yards from scrimmage and 13 touchdowns (12 rushing, one receiving) while filling the workhorse role vacated by disgruntled star Le'Veon Bell. There have been rumblings that Jaylen Samuels and rookie Benny Snell could cut into Conner's workload this year, but for fantasy purposes, he's still the back to own in Pittsburgh.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Jul 1, 2019, 12:39 PM ET

To answer the question, Yes, but he'll probably regress a little because Samuels will catch more passes than last year and Snell might take 30-40 carries. I'd anticipate Conner gets 250 carries for 1100 yards, 25 catches for 200 yards, and 10 total TDs. That's around 200 yards less and 3 TDs less than last year and he missed some time last year. I also don't think Pitt runs as many plays this year as they did last year because they won't have as many first downs without AB. 

I'm worried about his durability as he got hurt at the end of last season.  What is the O line like in Pit?  If Ben regresses will that make it harder on Conner to gain yards? 

I'm worried about his durability as he got hurt at the end of last season.  What is the O line like in Pit?  If Ben regresses will that make it harder on Conner to gain yards? 
Why would one injury that he came back from worry one about his durability any more than any other RB? If that is the case, don't draft David Johnson, Nick Chubb, Dalvin Cook,  Lenny Fournette, Lev Bell,  Damien Williams, Kerryon Johnson, Marlon Mack, Aaron Jones, Sony MIchel, etc. 

The o-line is returning all 5 starters from last year and is generally considered one of the best in the NFL. 

Ben might regress and losing AB likely hurts the offense but once one is passed Saquon, CMc and Kamara, every RB has some question marks and we are going to have to take some gambles. Gi ven how he performed last year and the recent history of the RBs in Pittsburgh, Connner seems like as good a RB as any to take a shot on. 

Graham Barfield‏Verified account @GrahamBarfield

Steelers first-team offense ran 14 plays in their second preseason game. Snap counts were:

• James Conner 14
  • Vance McDonald 14
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster 13
  • Donte Moncrief 9
  • Diontae Johnson 5
  • Ryan Switzer 5
  • Eli Rogers 3
  • James Washington 1
9:35 AM - 18 Aug 2019

------------------------------------

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

Evan Silva Retweeted Graham Barfield

* Great news for James Conner * Reinforces Moncrief has already won #Steelers No. 2 WR battle * If Switzer & Diontae Johnson play ahead of Washington in 3-WR sets, JuJu is gonna play outside more

James Conner rushed for 41 yards on five carries and caught both of his targets in the Steelers' third preseason game.

Conner has been treated as a bellcow back this preseason, only coming off the field occasionally to catch his breath. Jaylen Samuels will have a role, but it's not one that directly competes with Conner, who will catch passes and receive goal-line carries in 2019. Conner was an elite RB1 before a late-season injury took away some of his burst and workload. If Conner gets the Le'Veon Bell role and can stay healthy, he'll be a second-round value in fantasy.

Aug 25, 2019, 9:08 PM ET

In my dynasty draft last year in like the 15th round or whatever it was, was set to pick Connor, and one pick before the guy grabbed him.  Haunts me every day. Btw, have a feeling he's going to have another great year.

James Conner had 10 carries for 21 yards and caught four passes for 44 yards in Week 1 against the Patriots.

Conner didn’t have success on the ground but salvaged his night in the pass game. He didn't lose much work to Jaylen Samuels, who had just three touches. Conner looked great this preseason but it didn’t carry over in Week 1. He’ll have a tough matchup in Week 2 against a Seattle defense that held the Bengals to 34 rushing yards.

Sep 8, 2019, 11:47 PM ET

He looked bad. It could have been the NE defense but it could be he's not that good. Surprised Samuel's didn't play much considering he killed the Pats last year. 

Jaylen seems to be buried but another bad game from Conner and Jaylen Samuels will get more opportunity. That's all he needs to start this process.........

James Conner exited Week 2 against the Seahawks with a knee injury and is questionable to return.

Conner has been bottled up all afternoon with just 33 yards on 11 carries. He luckily converted a one-yard touchdown run after the ball was placed at the one following Jaylen Samuels drawing a DPI call in the end zone. Samuels has been in the game since Conner's injury.

Sep 15, 2019, 3:49 PM ET

I hate when they take this long to update an injury.  When it gets to be this many hours it's becomes a 50/50 chance he is seriously hurt.

• Sad
Reactions: ATB
James Conner will undergo tests to determine the severity of his injured knee Monday.

Conner went down late in Sunday's loss to Seattle but not before contributing 45 yards (33 rushing, 12 receiving) and a touchdown on 13 touches. With Ben Roethlisberger (elbow) also banged up, the 0-2 Steelers are running on fumes offensively. Jaylen Samuels would be the favorite to lead Pittsburgh's backfield should Conner miss Week 3 against the Niners.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 16, 2019, 9:43 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler‏Verified account @JFowlerESPN

Multiple teammates believe James Conner's knee injury is not serious. Jaylen Samuels is prepared to start if necessary, but the overall sentiment in the locker room is the issue is manageable. Conner walked through the locker room and appeared to be moving fine.

11:12 AM - 16 Sep 2019

Jeff Hathhorn

@jhathhorn

11m

James Conner said during his show on @937theFan that he’s confident he will play Sunday, no tears or anything significant with his knee.

PFF graded Pittsburgh's OL as #1 last week. I don't think PFF is always right but no way they played bad and be graded #1 by PFF.

Just a thought but if Pittsburgh goes 0-3 the Steeler probably start panicking. Could see some changes this week anyway. 

#1 OL and Conner goes 10-33? Conner owners If you have a spot open you might want to handcuff Conner with Jaylen Samuels. 

Last edited by a moderator:
James Conner (knee) said he's "good to go" for Week 3 against the 49ers.

Conner missed most of the fourth quarter with the knee injury last week, but he remained on the sideline, suggesting it wasn't a serious issue. Perhaps Jaylen Samuels will be sprinkled in a bit more after his strong showing in relief coupled with Conner's disappointing play through two games, but Conner remains a firm RB2 as the new focal point of the Ben Roethlisbrger-less offense.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 11:05 AM ET

James Conner (knee) missed practice Wednesday.

Conner isn't expected to practice at all this but still claimed he's "good to go" for Sunday. He's an RB2 at worst heading into Sunday, though Jaylen Samuels will likely be sprinkled in at times. The latter need be owned (even as a standalone asset) given that Conner's injury happened so early into the season.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 5:21 PM ET

PFF graded Pittsburgh's OL as #1 last week. I don't think PFF is always right but no way they played bad and be graded #1 by PFF.

Just a thought but if Pittsburgh goes 0-3 the Steeler probably start panicking. Could see some changes this week anyway. 

#1 OL and Conner goes 10-33? Conner owners If you have a spot open you might want to handcuff Conner with Jaylen Samuels. 
Too late, as I'm in a 16-team league and Samuels was drafted. If Conner goes down, wouldn't Benny Snell get some carries?

Not sure what to do this week.  Assume that if he plays Sunday he's "100%".  I could slide Carson or Scary Terry in but I still like Connor more if he can be counted on.

Well he missed the whole 4th qtr and the offense hasn't looked right all season.   But yeah he has sucked so far

James Conner (knee) was upgraded to "full" in Thursday's practice.

It means Conner will be good to go for Sunday's road trip to San Francisco. Conner was originally expected to barely practice this week. Off to a slow start, Conner will be contending with a 49ers defense that roughed up the Bucs' undermanned backfield and the Bengals' injured unit. With the Steelers making the switch to Mason Rudolph under center, Conner will be a mid-range RB2.

SOURCE: Brian Batko on Twitter

Sep 19, 2019, 6:03 PM ET

Hot garbage. They need to get Jaylen Samuels in the game over this guy. They don't seem to be thinking that. 

They are 0-3. 

Conner hasn't played well yet this year. We'll see how many games the Steelers are going to allow that to happen. I don't have much confidence that they'll figure it out anytime soon after this game. 

Conner hasn't played well yet this year. We'll see how many games the Steelers are going to allow that to happen. I don't have much confidence that they'll figure it out anytime soon after this game. 
As long as tomlin is there, nothing will change. He will keep running out conner & the awesome Ryan switzer. He's a joke.

As long as tomlin is there, nothing will change. He will keep running out conner & the awesome Ryan switzer. He's a joke.
Yeah man. I think Tomlin is gone after this season honestly. He just seems over his head with these personal decisions. 

first round bust. I should have seen this coming, last year was perfect storm for him.
He was ranked top 10 by everyone. And low risk due to the same great oline. Hard to see it coming, plus the Big Ben injury. They might go more with Snell if the seaon continues to go south, but for now they'll rely on the run and Conner. I hope.

PFF ranked them #1 overall week one.......

🤷‍♀️
I'm aware.

Offensive line coach Mike Munchak left for Denver.  This and general aging are the major changes.  Well, those and the performance.   Samuels and/or Snell wouldn't do well with how the line has blocked through three games either.

I'm aware.

Offensive line coach Mike Munchak left for Denver.  This and general aging are the major changes.  Well, those and the performance.   Samuels and/or Snell wouldn't do well with how the line has blocked through three games either.
I don't believe everything PFF puts out there but they couldn't have played bad if they were ranked #1. Have to be top 15 at minimum. Think its Conner not the OL. Think Samuel's would do a lot better back there but Tomlin doesn't agree. 

I don't believe everything PFF puts out there but they couldn't have played bad if they were ranked #1. Have to be top 15 at minimum. Think its Conner not the OL. Think Samuel's would do a lot better back there but Tomlin doesn't agree. 
Agree to disagree.

Have you watched the games?  Linemen are getting pushed into the backfield and Conner is getting hit behind the line often.

Conner has also not done much to help the situation, but in my opinion, he isn't the main problem.

Agree to disagree.

Have you watched the games?  Linemen are getting pushed into the backfield and Conner is getting hit behind the line often.

Conner has also not done much to help the situation, but in my opinion, he isn't the main problem.
So PFF is dead wrong on this and your eyes are dead right? Is that what you're saying? Not attacting you just asking you if that's what you want me to believe here. 

So PFF is dead wrong on this and your eyes are dead right? Is that what you're saying? Not attracting you just asking you if that's what you want me to believe here. 
I would love to see what PFF says about them today instead of pre-season.  If PFF put that article out today, yes, I would disagree with it based on what I have seen through three weeks of football.

I also linked to multiple articles written by people other than me who happen to agree with what I am seeing.

The holes haven't been there regardless of how good PIT's OL is on paper. It's not rocket science.

The question is whether they can right the ship.

Also, like any early season outlier, schedule can play a big role.

The Steelers have faced what most would consider to be two good Ds (especially run D) & what might be an up & coming D in the 9ers (& again, what appears to be a good run D).

Users who are viewing this thread