What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Conner, ARZ (1 Viewer)

This week could be that week. He’s a tough sit for me.
There's no way he's sitting for me. I don't have anyone to plug in for him anyway.

I'm concerned, but no way I'm benching him against the JAX D.

I'm hoping this is just game planning here and just like the Snell panic early in the year where Conner came back and crushed it, the same thing happens and there is a sudden reversal come next Sunday.

If it doesn't...ugh.

How this guy so few yards against the Bungles last week in a positive game script still blows my mind. Cost me a win and I still can’t fathom it. The WR goal line sweeps that were sniffed out immediately by Cincy of all teams were painful. 

Another great matchup this week but if they keep calling plays like the last 2 weeks it might not matter. Used to be this guy would kill you with the injuries, but when he was healthy he was pretty dependable. Not so much this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
How this guy so few yards against the Bungles last week in a positive game script still blows my mind. Cost me a win and I still can’t fathom it. The WR goal line sweeps that were sniffed out immediately by Cincy of all teams were painful. 

Another great matchup this week but if they keep calling plays like the last 2 weeks it might not matter. Used to be this guy would kill you with the injuries, but when he was healthy he was pretty dependable. Not so much this year.
He really hasn't been the same since 2018, as much due to injuries than anything else. Nothing spectacular, but dependable for the most part until recently. We'll see how long they stick with him if he doesn't show more production.

Just acquired Wayne Gallman via trade (not for Conner) as a bit of a hedge down the stretch.  If he does nothing against Jax, I can't see starting him vs Bal and Was at this point.

Just acquired Wayne Gallman via trade (not for Conner) as a bit of a hedge down the stretch.  If he does nothing against Jax, I can't see starting him vs Bal and Was at this point.
That’s the worst part about his performance lately, these were the cake matchups he was supposed to smash before the schedule stiffened up a bit.

It’s definitely advisable to line up alternative options if needed going forward. After this week against Jax I can hopefully pivot to Mixon/Gio and give this guy the pine.

The offense has moved away from him a little bit.   The WRs are really a great trio.   Tomlin coaching to strengths.   When teams start trying to take that away more you will see Conner get more oppurtunities.  

The offense has moved away from him a little bit.   The WRs are really a great trio.   Tomlin coaching to strengths.   When teams start trying to take that away more you will see Conner get more oppurtunities.  
This. They are undefeated with Conner performing exactly as he has. I own Conner and it’s frustrating to watch, but we can’t blame the playcalling too much when the Steelers are winning.

Much like Reid, Tomlin seems to be forgetting about the run most of the time. With their WR’s who can blame them.

Generally the backups/CoP guys outperform on a ypc basis, but Snell 3.6 & McFarland 3.8 are well below Conner at 4.2. And that includes Snell’s massive week 1.

What is really odd is that Conner was playing pretty well during tougher stretches of the season. The weird Todd Haley type play calls on the goal line are hurting him big time. 

This is getting downright frightening with Connor dropping from a bonafide stud RB #1 to realistically being treated like a low end RB #2 with a question mark.

As of yesterday he went from starting RB on my team to the bench, even with a juicy matchup and that includes the Flex spot. Now, I may change as the week rolls on, but this is getting costly - not to mention that last week my team got beat because of the hail Mary from Kyler Murray to D Hopkins. My opponent had both players - stacked. I almost caught back up with Jefferson, but needed a TD score. The Connor situation is definitely dicey right now. He could flop again for 50 total yards and no score or he could go off for 100+ and two scores. I know it depends upon other options. Imagine choosing between Swift, Gibson, CMC or Davis, and Connor plus AB sitting the bench. Nice options, but I certainly didn't think Connor would be in question against good game script matches. I'm following along... Connor is soooo due!

This is getting downright frightening with Connor dropping from a bonafide stud RB #1 to realistically being treated like a low end RB #2 with a question mark.

As of yesterday he went from starting RB on my team to the bench, even with a juicy matchup and that includes the Flex spot. Now, I may change as the week rolls on, but this is getting costly - not to mention that last week my team got beat because of the hail Mary from Kyler Murray to D Hopkins. My opponent had both players - stacked. I almost caught back up with Jefferson, but needed a TD score. The Connor situation is definitely dicey right now. He could flop again for 50 total yards and no score or he could go off for 100+ and two scores. I know it depends upon other options. Imagine choosing between Swift, Gibson, CMC or Davis, and Connor plus AB sitting the bench. Nice options, but I certainly didn't think Connor would be in question against good game script matches. I'm following along... Connor is soooo due!
Concerned, but not panicked. Makes it easier not to panic when you keep winning despite his underperformance.

On the plus side, you're not seeing either Snell or McFarland in there so it's not an issue of others stealing carries. On the minus side, Conner isn't doing much with the touches he's getting. I've watched some of the last couple games and I don't see any outright underperformance. Doesn't seem like he has anywhere to go despite plus matchups. Don't get it.

The game plans have been soooo pass heavy it's ridiculous. Makes sense. They have three talented WRs and Claypool has really emerged as a big, athletic body near the goaline. Conner has been an afterthought inside the 10 yard line the last two games.

I've got to think the pendulum swings to some degree. Teams may have to go with greater numbers in the secondary and lighter in the box...that would benefit Conner.

Unfortunately, I could still see PIT forcing this gameplan trend down JAX throat this week. Probably no reason to alter it against that D. 

I'd like to see Conner do more with his touches this week. At least 10 PPR points with a shot or two at a TD. If this doesn't happen...then I'll panic.

PFT

Mike Tomlin: Our running game is “below the line” right now

Posted by Josh Alper on November 18, 2020, 7:20 AM EST

The Steelers haven’t lost a game yet this season, but that doesn’t mean they’re firing on all cylinders.

One area in need of improvement right now is the ground game. The Steelers have managed 138 rushing yards over the last three weeks and head coach Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday that the team has spent a lot of time talking about how to stop that part of their offense from being “ineffective.”

Tomlin said teams “always go through lulls in a season where components of your play are lacking” and that he feels that’s where the Steelers are right now in terms of the run game. He also feels confident the team can push things in the other direction.

“I look forward to getting in the lab with the coaches and the guys in attacking this run game situation,” Tomlin said, via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “It’s something we shouldn’t have difficulty pushing through, to be honest with you. We have very capable people, but it is below the line as we sit here today.”

The Jaguars allowed Green Bay to run for 80 yards last weekend, which is the lowest total they’ve allowed all season. They allow over 131 yards per game on average, so this weekend may be a chance for the Steelers run game to get back on track.

PFT

The Steelers haven’t lost a game yet this season, but that doesn’t mean they’re firing on all cylinders.

One area in need of improvement right now is the ground game. The Steelers have managed 138 rushing yards over the last three weeks and head coach Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday that the team has spent a lot of time talking about how to stop that part of their offense from being “ineffective.”

Tomlin said teams “always go through lulls in a season where components of your play are lacking” and that he feels that’s where the Steelers are right now in terms of the run game. He also feels confident the team can push things in the other direction.

“I look forward to getting in the lab with the coaches and the guys in attacking this run game situation,” Tomlin said, via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “It’s something we shouldn’t have difficulty pushing through, to be honest with you. We have very capable people, but it is below the line as we sit here today.”

The Jaguars allowed Green Bay to run for 80 yards last weekend, which is the lowest total they’ve allowed all season. They allow over 131 yards per game on average, so this weekend may be a chance for the Steelers run game to get back on track.
Great find thank you!

PFT

Thanks for providing this. Good to hear. Let’s hope for us Connor owners this means more carries for him and not more reps for Washington and Snell. If they can’t establish the run against Jax, that will be a major problem.

PFT

Great find thank you!
Okay, I'm in lol. Let me go plug Connor back in... to the Flex spot.

The Finist said:
PFT

Full disclosure that I’m a Connor owner but here’s my concern.  The game script last week vs a very poor cinn run def  and bad weather should have been run the ball.  Then Pitt took a big lead and continued to ignore the run even when the game was over.  They had 2 opportunities last week and decided to not run.  I’m thinking Pitt and Tomlin believe the best way to win this year is just throw the ball most of the time ala kc chiefs.  

The Jax defense is a pass funnel.  They cant stop the pass.  Not sure this is the weekend JC gets back on track.  

The pass game is Pitts strength v Jax biggest weakness.  Not sure Tomlin moves off that this week.  Just 1 week in the NFL  though.  Who knows.  

Full disclosure that I’m a Connor owner but here’s my concern.  The game script last week vs a very poor cinn run def  and bad weather should have been run the ball.  Then Pitt took a big lead and continued to ignore the run even when the game was over.  They had 2 opportunities last week and decided to not run.  I’m thinking Pitt and Tomlin believe the best way to win this year is just throw the ball most of the time ala kc chiefs.  
Thing is, there's a few teams doing this approach - KC, Buffalo, Pittsburgh.  For whatever reason, running games are generally going nowhere (with a few exceptions) while passing games are breaking records.  

Much like Reid, Tomlin seems to be forgetting about the run most of the time. With their WR’s who can blame them.

The game plans have been soooo pass heavy it's ridiculous.

Mike Tomlin: Our running game is “below the line” right now...

... One area in need of improvement right now is the ground game. The Steelers have managed 138 rushing yards over the last three weeks and head coach Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday that the team has spent a lot of time talking about how to stop that part of their offense from being “ineffective.”
People overlooked THIS GUY as part of the problem of devaluing the running game in favor of the passing game.

----------------------------------------------

Brooke Pryor@bepryor

Coaches have been hesitant to say Ben Roethlisberger is drawing up plays in the dirt in previous games, but on short yardage and goal line situations when the Steelers passed instead of running the ball, Fichtner said:

"We were in no huddle and Ben was calling the plays."

Tomlin really sang Snell’s praises for his play on Wednesday. Conner is assuredly still the guy, but I don’t think he’s got an ironclad grasp on the starting gig.

Tomlin really sang Snell’s praises for his play on Wednesday. Conner is assuredly still the guy, but I don’t think he’s got an ironclad grasp on the starting gig.
Don’t think you can play any of the Pitt Rb since they throw the ball over 50 times every game.  Even when they have a chance to run, they pass.  Wednesday night they had 1st on the 1 yard line and they throw TD to juju

I didn’t watch the game, did Snell stand out in any way? Statistically it looks pretty poor averaging 3.8 ypc against a Ravens squad decimated by COVID. Snell has gotten a lot of short yardage work pulling his average down, but he has looked terrible in the games I have seen outside of week 1.

The Steelers line has not been very good at run blocking this year.  The Steelers coaching staff does not seem to be interested in making the run game a priority and Ben has the authority to change plays(he greatly prefers to pass).  The combination is not good for the Steelers running game.

All that being said, no, I don't see anything special when Benny Snell gets the ball.  Conner is the better runner, the better blocker and the better pass catcher.  Snell is the clear #2 at this point.  He is adequate but does not stand out for me in any way.  Assuming Conner leaves at the end of the season to look for a bigger contract elsewhere, I believe the Steelers will need to address the position via the draft or free agency.

I didn’t watch the game, did Snell stand out in any way? Statistically it looks pretty poor averaging 3.8 ypc against a Ravens squad decimated by COVID. Snell has gotten a lot of short yardage work pulling his average down, but he has looked terrible in the games I have seen outside of week 1.
There are a few articles where Tomlin clearly indicated that Snell ran hard, protected the ball (an ongoing issue for him) and had good field discipline. 
Not saying he lit it up, but it’s not all about the YPC and COVID or not, the Ravens D is still pretty stout.

Don’t think you can play any of the Pitt Rb since they throw the ball over 50 times every game.  Even when they have a chance to run, they pass.  Wednesday night they had 1st on the 1 yard line and they throw TD to juju
They have thrown a few to Claypool in that same spot and have ran run plays for TDs twice for Claypool on the 2 yard line. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Steelers RB James Conner is eligible to return for Week 13 against Washington but is unlikely to be made active.

Conner hasn't practiced at all ahead of Pittsburgh's matchup with Washington and is unlikely to get any practice reps in before the team's Monday evening game. That leaves Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland to handle the load while Conner gears up for Week 14. Snell logged 16 carries versus Baltimore last week and even reeled in three passes. McFarland logged just four total touches. Snell is a solid RB2 option given how much work he saw last week while McFarland can be left on fantasy benches. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 6, 2020, 10:16 AM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports James Conner (COVID-19) "plans to play" against the Bills on Sunday. 

Conner is already eligible to be activated after missing the past two weeks. Benny Snell and the Steelers' "running game" went absolutely nowhere during Conner's absence, so he will be returning to his normal workload providing his conditioning allows it. Conner has had a disappointing 2020, but he will immediately slot back in as a top-20 option in an awful fantasy running back landscape. 

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Dec 8, 2020, 1:33 PM ET

There are a few articles where Tomlin clearly indicated that Snell ran hard, protected the ball (an ongoing issue for him) and had good field discipline. 
Not saying he lit it up, but it’s not all about the YPC and COVID or not, the Ravens D is still pretty stout.
Hard running 1.67 yard per carry ain't much of a threat.

First loss leaves Steelers with plenty to work on ahead of crucial matchup with Bills

... The running game, minus James Conner, who like Pouncey sat out due to COVID-19, generated a whopping 1.67 yards per carry and went 0-fer in three shots from the Washington 1 in the second quarter before being abandoned almost completely.

... “I live by a coaching creed ‘If you can’t get a yard, you don’t deserve to win’ and that was the case for us in this game,” coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday.

It’s been that way lately. Pittsburgh’s 21 yards rushing marked the franchise’s third-lowest total since 1970. While Tomlin has stressed repeatedly the Steelers don’t need to grind it out to win — 

Steelers activated RB James Conner from the reserve/COVID-19 list.

This was expected after Conner missed the last two weeks. With the Steelers not getting much from Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland, Conner should return to a full workload in his first game back. Conner is a low-end RB2 for a Week 14 matchup with Buffalo.

Dec 9, 2020, 12:22 PM ET

So are any of you Conner owners who have been holding Snell still holding?

Seems worthless. 

And I've got D's I need to stash or at least a higher upside backup (like J. Wilson).

So are any of you Conner owners who have been holding Snell still holding?

Seems worthless. 

And I've got D's I need to stash or at least a higher upside backup (like J. Wilson).
Week 14 and after last week ... really?    Welcome to Dumpsville, Population Snell

So following an embarrassing loss to the WTFs (and I’m saying that as a Skins fan) is this the week Tomlin finally talks some sense into audible happy sandlot QB Big Ben and the Steelers try to establish the run instead of passing it 55+ per game?

Their D is losing players by the minute, Buffalo D  is much more vulnerable to the run, and because of Pitt’s banged up defense maybe they should try to control TOP so Allen doesn’t carve them up like a Christmas goose. All this being said, the most likely outcome is glory boy Ben will just keep chucking and play right into the Bills preferred game plan. I’m unfortunately going to have to start Connor due to lack of better options and he should in theory be a good start this week. I’m prepared to be disappointed.

So following an embarrassing loss to the WTFs (and I’m saying that as a Skins fan) is this the week Tomlin finally talks some sense into audible happy sandlot QB Big Ben and the Steelers try to establish the run instead of passing it 55+ per game?

Their D is losing players by the minute, Buffalo D  is much more vulnerable to the run, and because of Pitt’s banged up defense maybe they should try to control TOP so Allen doesn’t carve them up like a Christmas goose. All this being said, the most likely outcome is glory boy Ben will just keep chucking and play right into the Bills preferred game plan. I’m unfortunately going to have to start Connor due to lack of better options and he should in theory be a good start this week. I’m prepared to be disappointed.
Tomlin is still a good coach.  I would imagine they see what the public sees.  Defenses are scheming against the short passing game and it has come full circle. They have to start getting a balanced attack of at least to a 60/40 split.  They were at 80+% week 13 and 70+% passing week 12.  That is ridiculous. With no run, there is no play-action.  I'm also curious why Claypool's snap count has continued to shrink.  He got outsnapped by Washington week 13.  Really????  Washington is more of a threat than Claypool?

Making a late season push for bust of the year (non-injury edition).

Sadly was forced to start this guy tonight. What a garbage offense Pitt is running right now. You would think they would attempt to make some adjustments weeks ago after the Covid Ravens game, before getting pounded by the WTFs and now tonight. The Bills were jumping all over Ben’s 5 yard garbage passes. To anyone who survives using him this week, I don’t see how you can put him in your lineup going forward.

Hope everyone traded him about a year ago...
Traded for, quickly thought better of it, and traded away. It looks like it will cost me about two spots in the second round to have done so. Would trade him away again. He seems quite useless for fantasy teams right now and the past month and a half.

Started this clown over Parker in my flex, so I guess it worked out ?!?  :shrug:

Now, let the mulling begin for next week.  

I haven't seen a lot of Steelers games outside of the last two prime time games. It's hard to delineate whether the running game issues lie with the OL, Conner (as well as Snell) or some combination of the two.

In any event, it doesn't seem like Conner is doing much to raise his value in the open market for 2021. 

Just a frustrating and bizarre situation. Even with the week 1 stinker, the guy was averaging over 16 PPG through the first half of the season.  He'd be RB4 in my scoring system had he kept up that pace (behind only Cook, Kamara and Henry). Even if he was at 75% of that,  he'd be RB9.

The steelers were 11-0, so it was tough to be like "WTF is Tomlin doing!!" but its sure blowing up in their face now.  The painted themselves into a corner with their strategy and now it seems like teams have adjusted. Obviously injuries have played a part, but still.

Tomlin is still a good coach.  I would imagine they see what the public sees.  Defenses are scheming against the short passing game and it has come full circle. They have to start getting a balanced attack of at least to a 60/40 split.  They were at 80+% week 13 and 70+% passing week 12.  That is ridiculous. With no run, there is no play-action.  I'm also curious why Claypool's snap count has continued to shrink.  He got outsnapped by Washington week 13.  Really????  Washington is more of a threat than Claypool?
This was written before yesterday's game.

Steelers HC Mike Tomlin in denial about problems with run game

...  head coach Mike Tomlin is not going to own the fact the run game and the philosophy around the run game is broken. When he spoke to the media he continued to prop up the idea that the team is choosing to throw the ball as much as they are and it has nothing to do with how bad the run game is.

The problem with this whole debate is Tomlin and the Steelers coaches are setting the run game up for failure. When you sprinkle in a run every dozen pass attempts it isn’t going to work. And the whole situation is made worse by the fact that when the bulk of the Steelers passes are at the line of scrimmage it gives the defense no incentive to do anything but stack the box.

Pittsburgh only has a few days to swallow their pride and turn the run game around. This type of predictable offense is not going to fly for the remainder of the season. If Pittsburgh wants to be a serious Super Bowl contender, 50+ pass attempts per game isn’t going to work.
I saw where former Browns All Pro LT Joe Thomas said something very similar where he said (paraphrasing because I can't find the quote) that 'You cannot get the right amount of physicality in the running game when you need it if you are not committed to running the football.'  He indicated their commitment to the run game begins well before you need it, that it is more philosophical and that he felt the Steelers were in trouble because he said he didn't see the commitment.  He said that last week before yesterday's game.

I thought it was a good point.  I don't know if the Steeler coaches are afraid to stand up to Ben or if they feel that they lack personnel but it is obvious that the coaching staff is not committed to the running game.  

Very difficult to plug him in this week.

The Cinci matchup should be a "get right game," but if you look at the previous meeting Conner went 13-36-0, 2-12-0. 

His floor is now one and I don't see a ceiling.

I honestly may start Jeff Wilson @DAL over him. Better matchup. At least SF wants to run the ball.

And OMG...PIT plays Cinci on Monday night. The thought of having to rely on Conner come Monday makes me throw up in my mouth.

Very difficult to plug him in this week.

The Cinci matchup should be a "get right game," but if you look at the previous meeting Conner went 13-36-0, 2-12-0. 

His floor is now one and I don't see a ceiling.

I honestly may start Jeff Wilson @DAL over him. Better matchup. At least SF wants to run the ball.

And OMG...PIT plays Cinci on Monday night. The thought of having to rely on Conner come Monday makes me throw up in my mouth.
You want a depressing thought? If I survive tonight after the dud this guy put up there (which is a long shot at this point) I am probably starting DeAndre Washington over him next week.

You want a depressing thought? If I survive tonight after the dud this guy put up there (which is a long shot at this point) I am probably starting DeAndre Washington over him next week.

I'm in the same boat. (although thankfully, on Bye)  My RB's are Henry, Conner, Gaskin, Singletary, Washington and Ito Smith. Holding Mattison on IR.  Only HAVE to start 2, but my WR flex options aren't all that great anyway (Lamb and Jeudy) and get worse if Cooks can't go next week.

My 10-3 team isn't looking like such a great bet anymore. Thanks a lot 2020.

JC looks slow and is never involved in the passing game... He's been trash all season.... Huge regret in drafting him 

Users who are viewing this thread