What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Conner, ARZ (2 Viewers)

FWIW I've noticed these past few weeks that FBGs is reacting slower in terms of real time news and updating rankings. Don't know if its Dodds checking out already and not updating his forecasts as frequently or general malaise as the season wears on or simply general cadence of updates not keeping up to news, but they still have McKissik as a top 15 option this week as Gibson practices (though limited) and Snell as a top 20 option.
And you can't count on Tremblay updating for a couple days or more. They really can use timely updates in our current finger tip info age. I learn more right here on this forum. Just a friendly suggestion. Gotta be up to date as quickly as possible. Hard to trust Connor unless I hear any positive signs. 

Edit: Connor is healthy and Dodds still Connor at 0.00. Bloom put him on the board but lower ranked. 

I can't start him unless I took another hit somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got more of a keeper/dynasty league (keep 10 players PPR) and not sure I now want to waste a Keeper spot on Connor. I've loved Connor since college really inspiring story but the last year or so he's barely been top 10. 

At this point my Keepers are 

QB: Rodgers and Herbert (Keeping both at this point. 

RB Cook keep, Connor unsure, Justin Jackson, Bennie Snell, Pollard (Pollard/Snell I've picked up in the last 3 weeks or so)

WR; Keeping K Allen/Hill/OBJ, still have Sheppard, Landry JuJu

TE Keeping Tonyan at this point letting Ertz go (Which I'm really upset about Ertz wise think depending where he goes team wise will Target Kyle Pitts)

Ravens D 

K Crosby

Out f this I'm keeping

1. Rodgers

2. Herbert

3. Cook

4. Hill

5. Allen

6 OBJ

7. Tonyan 

8. Juju

9. SHeppard

Not really sure if Connor is keeper worthy but might just keep him given my other RB Options 

Traded some dynasty blah pieces for him a few weeks ago in hopes I could strike lightning in the playoffs. I just can’t do it with the championship on the line. I’m benching him for Keke Coutee (PPR + return yards)

Nick Farabaugh

@FarabaughFB

Tomlin comes out here saying Snell has not only merited more playing time, but will get more playing time. I guess we’ll see how that snap count is between Snell and Conner, but it sounds like Snell is going to get more carries and more snaps today against the Colts.

Quote Tweet

Bob Labriola

@BobLabriola

· 3h

#Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin: 'I don't know if you're expecting a parting of the Red Sea … but usually (player meetings) provide an atmosphere where sincere thoughts and feelings get an opportunity to be expressed, and that's never a negative thing' https://bit.ly/3mNPcDH

James Conner rushed nine times for 37 yards in the Steelers' Week 17 loss to the Browns, adding five receptions for 25 additional yards. 

The Steelers rested a few key starters, but Conner's 14 touches were his most since before Thanksgiving. The Steelers seemed to want to get their nominal "lead back" going headed into the postseason after an extremely disappointing regular campaign. Rematching with the Browns' pass-funnel defense in the Wild Card Round, Conner won't be a high-upside DFS option with Ben Roethlisberger back under center. 

- Rotoworld

James Conner rushed 11 times for 37 yards and one score, hauling in all five of his targets for 30 yards in Pittsburgh's Wild Card loss to Cleveland.

Conner's health coming into the year was a major question mark that reduced his ADP after he appeared in only 10 injury-riddled games in 2019, but he proved the naysayers wrong with 204 touches and his most carries (169) since 2018. Conner missed one game this year due to injury, only sitting out in Weeks 12 and 13 after he tested positive for COVID-19. He also out-touched Benny Snell 220-74 in the 14 games the two played together, their Wild Card loss included. The front office hasn't had a resounding response when asked about bringing Conner back in 2021, which could result in him landing in a committee elsewhere on the open market. His fantasy outlook is entirely dependent on his next destination.

Jan 11, 2021, 1:37 AM ET

ESPN's Brooke Pryor reports the Steelers are "unlikely" to re-sign James Conner. 

With the team (probably) letting Pittsburgh favorite Conner walk about four seasons, Pryor said the team could fill their RB1 spot with an early-round pick in this spring's NFL Draft. Conner, who will be 26 in May, should have multiple suitors this offseason. Probably he won't be anyone's idea of a locked-in No. 1 running back though. Taking a back in the first round would be a departure from how the team usually conducts its drafts. The Steelers have used their past seven first-round picks on defensive players, including five linebackers. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Mar 2, 2021, 11:44 AM ET

The Miami Herald confirms impending free agent James Conner is "on Miami's radar."

The Dolphins are one of the frontrunners to sign Aaron Jones. They've also been connected to Conner, who may be their fallback option if they miss out on Jones. Conner has struggled with injuries the last two years but has been effective when healthy, posting a career 4.3 YPC and 22 touchdowns in four seasons. The 25-year-old would get a chance to start in Miami. 

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Mar 13, 2021, 11:43 AM ET

The Miami Herald confirms impending free agent James Conner is "on Miami's radar."
......and they would be stupid to do that.  Better off drafting a RB if they can’t get Jones.  Probably do both.

Free agent RB James Conner is scheduled to visit the Cardinals Monday.

It's Conner's first known visit since hitting the open market. The Cardinals will undoubtedly add to its backfield this offseason since only Jonathan Ward, D.J. Foster, and Eno Benjamin are currently available behind Chase Edmonds, but none of that group moves the needle as players that would eat into Edmonds' inevitable work(horse)load. Even if Conner were to put pen to paper, fantasy players should worry about a(ny) backfield selection with the No. 16 and 49 overall picks making an impact before the former.

RELATED: 

Chase Edmonds

, Arizona Cardinals

SOURCE: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Apr 12, 2021, 1:36 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent RB James Conner underwent surgery to repair "a very moderate" turf toe-type injury this offseason.

A "full recovery" is expected by June, but it's still a concern considering Conner has yet to play 16 contests in any season, appearing in just 23-of-32 possible games the past two years. He'll receive a physical with the Cardinals before potentially inking a one-year deal, but that shouldn't stop fantasy players from coveting Chase Edmonds as a clear-cut top-16 option (with upside). Conner should be considered questionable for any spring workouts.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 12, 2021, 1:56 PM ET

Not a owner of any Cardinals or Conner previously, but this looks ugly and could get uglier after they draft another RB.
They only have 2 picks in the top 150. This sort of signing was necessary, so they aren't obligated to pick one at 49. They still could pick one there, but I think it's less likely now. I'd just be making up a % number, but I think there is a reasonable possibility competition is brought in for Eno and the plan for this backfield is Chase 1a-Conner 1b.

Probably one of the better landing spots for him I'd think. He should have a shot to carve out a significant role at least. No idea whether he'll be able to take advantage of the opportunity...

Cardinals signed RB James Conner, formerly of the Steelers, to a one-year contract. 

Conner, coming off a down 2020 season, will reunite with Cardinals running backs coach James Saxon, who worked as the Steelers' RB coach from 2014-2018. The plodding Conner is likely to take some early-down work in Arizona's offense -- enough to make fantasy managers worry about Chase Edmonds' workload. Edmonds should remain the pass-catching back for Kyler Murray, though he doesn't figure to see much goal line work if Conner is healthy. Conner, 25, missed nine games from 2019-2020. He's likely to be drafted many rounds after Conner and would have a path to every-down work if Edmonds misses time this season. 
I was coming here to scream about changing the thread title, but it doesn't have any NFL team names to change. I feel cheated.

They only have 2 picks in the top 150. This sort of signing was necessary, so they aren't obligated to pick one at 49. They still could pick one there, but I think it's less likely now. I'd just be making up a % number, but I think there is a reasonable possibility competition is brought in for Eno and the plan for this backfield is Chase 1a-Conner 1b.
I don't see why it wouldn't be Conner 1a and Chase 1b.  Conner, injuries aside, has proven to be a lead back.  Edmonds has not.  If I have to choose, especially at cost, give me Conner.

I don't see why it wouldn't be Conner 1a and Chase 1b.  Conner, injuries aside, has proven to be a lead back.  Edmonds has not.  If I have to choose, especially at cost, give me Conner.
Conner's shown he can be a lead back for brief stints, but he has not sustained in such a role. Sure, 4th time's the charm is in the range of potential outcomes, but I wouldn't bet on it.

You're probably right, but it's still ugly.

The only way this wasn't going to be ugly was if they didn't select a guy in the top 49 and they decided to roll with Edmonds without signing anybody. That wasn't going to happen, so...

Conner. Conner can't stay healthy. When he does, he's mediocre. This is actually a welcome sight for Edmonds fans, much like Hyde was welcome for Robinson fans.

I see this as a great landing spot for Conner.  Unlikely, they bring in an early round RB so Conner stands to carve out a significant role.  Its on him now.  As far as Edmonds, he never seems to seize backfield when starter goes down so not sure he was able to anyways.

Reality is Conner will probably get hurt and Edmonds, again, will put up some good games, but never really establish himself and neither are fantasy relevant this year.

They can't leave injuries aside.  

At this stage, you have to expect he cannot carry lead back duties. You have to assume he'll break down.  

Agree with rockaction.  Great news if you own Edmonds.  
I never count on injuries to give me good news.  Sorry, but I don't see this as good news for any Arizona RB.

Speaking at his introductory Cardinals press conference, James Conner revealed he suffered his toe injury in an ATV accident.

Conner is recovering from surgery. "Just a little accident, but it's part of the journey," Conner said. "It led me here and I'm just ready to roll." Conner has suffered enough minor injuries on the field. The last thing he needs is nicks and bruises away from it. Although he was ineffective for the Steelers in 2020 and has a long history of durability issues, Conner will absolutely be a nuisance to Chase Edmonds on early downs. We are still confident that Edmonds should lead the backfield in touches, however. 

SOURCE: Brian Batko on Twitter 

Apr 13, 2021, 1:54 PM ET

Normally I don't like to assign an injury tag to RBs because very few RBs stay healthy on a regular basis. That said, one can't argue that Conner has missed chunks of games since he took over the starting gig from Bell (13 games played in 2020, 10 in 2019, and 13 in 2018).

So while he has missed several games, you can also argue that sharing the load with Edmonds can potentially keep him healthier and fresher.

Personally, I'd still rather have Edmonds in PPR leagues, but while Conner is no world beater, he's a decent all around back.

Don't forget about Eno
Eno has a similar, if not worse, size/speed score than Edmonds and was a seventh-round pick. No draft capital, no noticeable difference except for Benjamin's ball security issues coming out of college. The other guy to look for is Jonathan Ward, and he's an undrafted free agent from last year. I picked him up this off-season just in case. He looks better to me than Benjamin did on tape. There's one other guy, too. I'd imagine he or Ward get cut, but Ward plays special teams and was valuable there.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

James Conner’s deal is for $1.75 million. It is comprised of a $500k signing bonus and a $1.25 million fully-guaranteed salary. $1.75 million in all.

Very modest compensation

If you look at Drake the last two years, they ran him a ton for a team which is supposedly all about Murray passing and running. And when Drake was hurt, Edmonds had some decent days. 

So I think there is still value in the Cards backfield this year. It is not clear if it will Edmonds or Conner or another back who benefits, but if they follow the same philosophy as last year with Drake/Edmonds and have Conner as more of the banger and Edmonds as more of the change of pace guy, then there's no reason why Conner can't put up quite decent numbers.

rockaction said:
Eno has a similar, if not worse, size/speed score than Edmonds and was a seventh-round pick. No draft capital, no noticeable difference except for Benjamin's ball security issues coming out of college. The other guy to look for is Jonathan Ward, and he's an undrafted free agent from last year. I picked him up this off-season just in case. He looks better to me than Benjamin did on tape. There's one other guy, too. I'd imagine he or Ward get cut, but Ward plays special teams and was valuable there.
I picked up Ward last summer, had him on a taxi squad here and there.  That's one of those RB rooms I'll take a shot on random UDFA because it feels like someone could pull an Arian Foster.  

Cardinals I assume will draft one of the big three RBs. Just seems to me like they are looking to take a next step, and an exciting rookie back seems like a safe 2nd round pick.

For selfish reasons, I hope they draft one of the lesser backs, whose stock goes through the roof.

I picked up Ward last summer, had him on a taxi squad here and there.  That's one of those RB rooms I'll take a shot on random UDFA because it feels like someone could pull an Arian Foster.  

Cardinals I assume will draft one of the big three RBs. Just seems to me like they are looking to take a next step, and an exciting rookie back seems like a safe 2nd round pick.

For selfish reasons, I hope they draft one of the lesser backs, whose stock goes through the roof.
Don't do it, Cards. Don't do it.

The Cardinals don't have a 3rd or 4th round pick. They're likely to look for CB early. With the depth at WR, I could see them wanting to improve on Kirk, although Etienne or J Williams would be tempting if they're still there at 2.17.

The Cardinals don't have a 3rd or 4th round pick. They're likely to look for CB early. With the depth at WR, I could see them wanting to improve on Kirk, although Etienne or J Williams would be tempting if they're still there at 2.17.
Either one of those dudes there puts them at 1.01 for me.   

JohnnyU said:
I never count on injuries to give me good news.  Sorry, but I don't see this as good news for any Arizona RB.
At this point what were you expecting? The Cardinals were going to add another RB one way or the other and there were very few landing spots where Connor would be able to carve out a role. Sure it will be a messy RBBC, but that’s not uncommon in today’s NFL. All in all this seems like a good result for Connor and Edmonds as they will both have some value now rather than no value.

At this point what were you expecting? The Cardinals were going to add another RB one way or the other and there were very few landing spots where Connor would be able to carve out a role. Sure it will be a messy RBBC, but that’s not uncommon in today’s NFL. All in all this seems like a good result for Connor and Edmonds as they Weill both have some value now rather than no value.
Agree 100%...one of my pet peeves is the thinking that every time a team adds a skill player the sky is falling...the reality is teams are never going to go into a season with just one player on their depth chart which is the dream many fantasy owners are chasing...as far as this situation goes it's a good spot for both Edmonds and Connor...neither is going to be a bell-cow and I don't think that is breaking news...if you own either of these guys it could be 1,000 times worse than this situation...right now they both have an opportunity to be viable in fantasy and with one injury their value could get a very nice bump...the x-factor is the draft...if the Cards add a legit rookie than this situation has a chance to be real dicey but if they don't than both guys have a nice path to fantasy relevance.

massraider said:

I assume that the Cardinals won't draft one of the big three RBs. The #16 overall is likely too high to take one, and it seems like at least 2 if not all 3 will be gone by their 2nd rounder (#49 overall). They could trade back with their 1st and then pick one, but it's not like they don't have other holes to fill, and I don't think they'd trade up from their 2nd since they have so little draft capital (don't pick again until the 5th round).

Obviously there's always a chance, but I don't think it's likely they land one of those 3 guys.

Agree 100%...one of my pet peeves is the thinking that every time a team adds a skill player the sky is falling...the reality is teams are never going to go into a season with just one player on their depth chart which is the dream many fantasy owners are chasing...as far as this situation goes it's a good spot for both Edmonds and Connor...neither is going to be a bell-cow and I don't think that is breaking news...if you own either of these guys it could be 1,000 times worse than this situation...right now they both have an opportunity to be viable in fantasy and with one injury their value could get a very nice bump...the x-factor is the draft...if the Cards add a legit rookie than this situation has a chance to be real dicey but if they don't than both guys have a nice path to fantasy relevance.
Right, I don't understand this reaction given our current environment. There's about a dozen or so clear #1 RB's and another half dozen or so likely #1 RB's. About 50-60% of the league has a clear lead back, so 40-50% of the league doesn't. Sure, in an ideal scenario one has their RB starting spots filled with those relatively clear #1 backs but in most leagues that's impossible. Some must take calculated risks with their starters and the rest need to on their bench. If one refuses to then their only real option is to start RB-RB then not pick any others - and I only write that with some hyperbole.

I understand frustration from Edmonds owners.  I would have preferred a backfield mate that you could try to predict some sort of timeshare with.  James could have 20 touches one game and 2 the next simply due to his injury history.  His availability is maddening to try to predict, which will undoubtedly affect how fantasy owners use Edmonds as well.

I understand frustration from Edmonds owners.  I would have preferred a backfield mate that you could try to predict some sort of timeshare with.  James could have 20 touches one game and 2 the next simply due to his injury history.  His availability is maddening to try to predict, which will undoubtedly affect how fantasy owners use Edmonds as well.
It'll be difficult to project week to week, but remember that Conner has never played a full slate. If/when he misses time, starting Edmonds will be an easy decision. As the depth chart sits right now they hinder each other, but they are each other's handcuff.

It'll be difficult to project week to week, but remember that Conner has never played a full slate. If/when he misses time, starting Edmonds will be an easy decision. As the depth chart sits right now they hinder each other, but they are each other's handcuff.
You are not wrong, but I have followed Conner very closely as both a Pitt and Steelers fan.  He starts many games that he doesn't finish.  Yes, it's easy to predict when he is listed Out ahead of time, but too often it is Questionable or worse, no injury designation but dinged in the first quarter and then doesn't return.

I love the guy but his availability is super difficult to predict.

You are not wrong, but I have followed Conner very closely as both a Pitt and Steelers fan.  He starts many games that he doesn't finish.  Yes, it's easy to predict when he is listed Out ahead of time, but too often it is Questionable or worse, no injury designation but dinged in the first quarter and then doesn't return.

I love the guy but his availability is super difficult to predict.
Does he have a low tolerance for pain?

Users who are viewing this thread