What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Mo Alie-Cox, IND (1 Viewer)

Alie-Cox wows NFL scouts, will visit several teams in coming days

Excerpt:

The biggest thing Alie-Cox had to prove was the simplest: that he could catch a football. At the workout, he caught passes from former Henrico High quarterback Malcolm Bell, who raved about his receiver.

“He’s a beast — he’s big, he’s long and he has range,” said Bell. “His hands are humongous. In one drill, we had to throw the ball pretty hard to him, and he was just absorbing it.”
Alie-Cox has been training for NFL work since the basketball season ended in March, and has been working at EXOS in Pensacola, Fla., a sports-performance center that trained 16 of last year’s first-round draft picks.
Despite never having run a 40-yard dash in his basketball career, Alie-Cox put up a respectable time of 4.75 on Tuesday, a hair off his best in Pensacola.

He measured in at 6-foot-5½ inches and 262 pounds, having put on some weight (intentionally) since basketball season ended.
His vertical jump of 35.5 inches and his 3-cone drill time of 7.25 seconds would have placed him about seventh out of the tight ends at this year’s NFL combine, numbers that won’t turn heads, but will count as more than satisfactory given his lack of training.

Alie-Cox said he hopes teams will warm up to his personality in interviews, and will understand his passion for the sport he gave up when he moved to a private high school that didn’t have a football team.

He said he intentionally didn’t want to think about the NFL or begin working toward his goal until after VCU’s basketball season ended, and he never considered transferring to a different school that would have allowed him to play both sports.
“I wasn’t going to leave here when we were having great success just to play football,” he said. “I never thought about that at all.”
He said he ultimately decided against pursuing a pro basketball career in part because he didn’t want to play overseas.

‘Everything just felt natural’ Mo Alie-Cox works out for NFL teams

Excerpt:

Alie-Cox ran the 40 yard dash in 4.75 seconds at 262 pounds, impressive when you consider that before Tuesday, he had run the 40 exactly twice before in his life. While none of the scouts commented publicly, more than a few came away happy with what they saw.

"This is not a novelty" said Mo's agent, Joe Flanagan of BTI Sports. "Mo is a very special athlete. I had more than one scout turn around to me today and say 'You've got something special'. He possesses a lot of traits that you just can't teach."

"With time, he's going to be a special football player."

The Athletic's Stephen Holder is predicting a breakout season for No. 3 Colts TE Mo Alie-Cox.

Holder is just the latest to sing the ex-basketball player's praises this offseason. Holder says he "never" saw Alie-Cox drop a pass in offseason practice, and that there is "unbridled excitement at Colts headquarters" about his development. The Colts were already comfortable with Alie-Cox's blocking but believe he is close to being ready as a pass catcher. An elite athlete with a 6-foot-5 frame, Alie-Cox is a wild card for a loaded offense. 2019 is the final year of Eric Ebron's contract.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 17, 2019, 9:10 PM ET

Yeah the 3rd string job is meaningless in the current year but a player with this much positive buzz who happens to be third string behind TWO players in their final contract year AND plays for a QB that peppers his TE definitely warrants some attention. I cut him in one league and will certainly try to add him later in the season. Tough to carry behind Kittle, Rudolph, Hurst and now Knox. Seriously considering punting on Hayden Hurst to bring Mo back.

Flying Elvis said:
Yeah the 3rd string job is meaningless in the current year but a player with this much positive buzz who happens to be third string behind TWO players in their final contract year AND plays for a QB that peppers his TE definitely warrants some attention. I cut him in one league and will certainly try to add him later in the season. Tough to carry behind Kittle, Rudolph, Hurst and now Knox. Seriously considering punting on Hayden Hurst to bring Mo back.
I'd have a really hard time giving up on a 1st round pick who was injured most of his rookie year, for a 3rd string TE. Hurst could your 2nd best TE if things break right.

107.5 The Fan's Kevin Bowen expects Colts TE Mo Alie-Cox to see 20 snaps per game this season.

Alie-Cox was one of the stars of Indy's offseason program. He held his own in nine rookie appearances (one start), but doesn't have a clear path to snaps behind Eric Ebron and Jack Doyle. Alie-Cox has the talent to play his way into the No. 2 role — something that could happen in training camp. He's worth a Dynasty stash.

SOURCE: 107.5 The Fan

Jul 12, 2019, 5:21 PM ET

Colts coach Frank Reich said TE Mo Alie-Cox will play more this season as a key run blocker and pass catcher.

There's a generalization connected with former basketball players - they they're soft in comparison to their peers. Reich termed it as "finesse," yet made it a point to say that Alie-Cox is not a finesse player, instead calling him a "powerful man." Jack Doyle led all Colts tight ends in snap count in 2019 with 75 percent. Alie-Cox claimed 33 percent compared to Eric Ebron's 30 percent. Trey Burton was brought in to take Ebron's roster spot, but it would not be shocking if Alie-Cox sees more time on the field than Burton this season.

SOURCE: Andrew Walker on Twitter

Jun 1, 2020, 1:00 PM ET

Frank Reich On Battle For Depth At Tackle, Mo Alie-Cox's Importance, Big Day Monday At Lucas Oil Stadium

Excerpt:

Getting tight end Mo Alie-Cox back in the fold will be key: The Colts have been hit with an early injury bug at the tight end position to this point in camp; starter Jack Doyle (neck) and Xavier Grimble (unknown) have sat out the last few days with injuries, Ian Bunting was just waived with an injury designation and Trey Burton will get occasional rest/maintenance days as needed, as he did on Sunday.

The team is also awaiting the opportunity to bring Andrew Vollert, whom the Colts claimed off waivers on Friday, into the fold; he's expected to be brought off the exempt list on Monday.

So on Sunday the Colts had just two tight ends — Alie-Cox and undrafted rookie Farrod Green — available to them on the practice field. Alie-Cox, himself, is just a few days removed from returning to the practice field after beginning training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list.

Reich was especially happy to see big No. 81 back on the practice field, however. The 6-foot-5, 267-pound Alie-Cox, who will be entering his third season on the Colts' active roster after making the transition from exclusively playing college basketball at VCU, presents all kinds of options when he's on the field, his head coach said today.

"This guy is so instrumental on our team. I see Mo as a very important part of our roster whether he plays 10 plays in the game or 30 plays in the game," Reich said. "I think that Mo has always been that big, physical guy so his blocking has always been good, but it's just gotten better. He's a dominating, physical presence on the football field and there's something to be said for that. You feel Mo when he's on the field and he makes a big impact for us."

Reich said that Alie-Cox has drastically improved his route-running abilities the last couple of years, and feels "there is a lot of upside for Mo."

"I think he's just getting started," Reich added.

Jack Doyle is dealing with a lingering neck injury, and Trey Burton had to be helped off the practice field after sustaining an apparent leg injury.

Jake Arthur @JakeArthurNFL

Timely. Here's a snippet from this week's upcoming Colts Week 1 Fantasy Preview:
https://twitter.com/jakearthurnfl/status/1303694952992563201?s=21

Sleeper?

Watch out for tight end Mo Alie-Cox while Trey Burton is out on Injured Reserve with his calf injury. Alie-Cox is now co-starter alongside with Jack Doyle, and he’s a chunk play waiting to happen.

In 2018, he ranked fourth among NFL tight ends in average depth targeted (11.1 yards downfield), and in 2019 he also ranked fourth in average yards after the catch (7.5).

Alie-Cox’s fantasy draft rank is TE56 and his Week 1 rank is TE48, so it wouldn’t take much at all for him to surpass that.

Colts' Mo Alie-Cox: Opportunity knocks

Alie-Cox is expected to be the Colts' No. 1 TE in Week 2 against the Vikings following news that Jack Doyle (ankle) has been ruled out, Joel A. Erickson of The Indianapolis Star reports.

Head coach Frank Reich expressed his confidence in Alie-Cox to fill into this role, which is crucial in the Colts' TE-centric scheme. The 6-foot-5, 267-pound TE has experience, as he averaged 22.3 snaps per game in 2019, and he caught two passes for 20 yards against the Jaguars this past Sunday. Alie-Cox is an intriguing DFS tournament play, and the TD upside makes him viable in deeper season-long leagues.

Mo Alie-Cox caught 5-of-6 targets for 111 yards in the Colts' Week 2 win over the Vikings. 

The ex-basketball player — you may have heard — got the start in place of an injured Jack Doyle and Trey Burton and responded by operating as the Colts' most productive pass catcher. His 111 yards were 3x as many as any other Colts receiver, as well as 3x as many as his previous career high. The highlight was Alie-Cox's 27-yard grab with 14:31 remaining, as he went up high to own Holton Hill's soul. Doyle's Week 2 status is unknown, but Alie-Cox will be on the streaming radar regardless vs. the hysterically-bad Jets. 

Sep 20, 2020, 4:05 PM ET

So awesome to see, other than that one costly drop he had (pretty sure it was him). Wonder if we can expect him to continue the breakout? Especially with Parris Campbell going down.

So awesome to see, other than that one costly drop he had (pretty sure it was him). Wonder if we can expect him to continue the breakout? Especially with Parris Campbell going down.
Rivers likes to throw to the TE and his arm is less than ideal anyway.

It was him.  He dropped a pass that was intercepted by the defense.  Right through his hands.

When does Doyle come back?  He may not be very good but he muddies the waters once he’s healthy. 

MAC_32 said:
I'm not going to bang the table for this guy after just one game, but such a late breakout is plausible given his background. And Doyle's not good. I think this is an add now, ask questions later type of stock. 
Agreed. I put in 3 waiver requests after losing Barkely and Sutton and I have Mo Cox as my top priority of the 3 (Mike Davis, Freeman/Lewis).

Nick Sirianni On Replacing Parris Campbell, Confidence In Mo Alie-Cox, More Touches For Nyheim Hines

Excerpt:

» Sirianni gained even more confidence in Mo Alie-Cox last Sunday, and he didn't think that was possible heading into the game: When it was apparent starter (and two-time Pro Bowler) Jack Doyle wasn't going to be able to play in last Sunday's game against the Vikings as he worked his way through knee and ankle injuries, the Colts immediately turned to Mo Alie-Cox to pick up the slack at the tight end position.

It's not like he's a complete newcomer to the team — this is his third full-time NFL season after entering the league brand new to football in 2017 following a standout basketball career at VCU — but Alie-Cox, to this point, had never really had to take on a full starter's load in any one game, thanks to guys like Doyle and former Colts tight end Eric Ebron's presence in the lineup.

Sirianni, Reich and quarterback Philip Rivers entered last Sunday's Vikings matchup with tons of confidence in Alie-Cox's ability to step in and produce, and that's exactly what he did, to the tune of five receptions for 111 yards — both single-game career-highs.

Stock up: Alie-Cox.

"We all had a ton of confidence in Mo, but sometimes it is – you go out there and see him play that way and it's just the confidence level, it grows," Sirianni said. "I think that's definitely what we saw. I had the utmost confidence in Mo Alie-Cox. On Sunday before the game I would have said, 'I don't know if it can be any higher.' Well you go out and do something like he just did and your confidence even gets higher in a player and I know that player's confidence gets higher as well."

While Doyle's immediate status for this Sunday's Week 3 matchup against the New York Jets isn't yet known, the Colts are ecstatic with the way Alie-Cox was able to step right in and produce.

"Super happy for Mo on how he played and how he has developed," Sirianni said.

Users who are viewing this thread