What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (3 Viewers)

Biabreakable

Footballguy
One of the more interesting RB from the 2017 draft for fantasy football in my opinion.

For starters the write up by Lance Zierlein

OVERVIEW

Hunt's 2015 season was one to forget. He was suspended the first two games for violating team rules, then struggled with hamstring and ankle injuries during the course of the year. Somehow, he still covered 973 yards and scored 12 times on 178 carries in just nine games, garnering second-team All-MAC notice. Expectations were high going into that season, however, because he led the MAC in rushing as a sophomore in 2014 (1,631) despite missing three games with an ankle injury. Hunt finished third in the nation with 163 rush yards per game and ended the year with a 271-yard, five-touchdown effort against Arkansas State in the GoDaddy.com Bowl. The first-team All-State pick from Ohio (2,685 yards, 44 TD as a senior) received a fair amount of playing time as a freshman, accumulating 866 yards and six scores. Hunt finished his Toledo career on a high note, garnering first-team All-MAC honors for the second time, rushing for 1,475 yards and ten touchdowns while also racking up 41 catches for 403 yards and a score (all receiving numbers bettered his totals in his first three seasons combined.)

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Compact body with broad frame and muscular legs. Above-average agility for his size. Has hips and feet to elude darting defenders in backfield. Uses effective jump-cut to avoid the sludge and shift to the open gap. Runs with good vision and overall instincts. Presses the line before making back-side cuts. Conforms his run to changing space within running lane. Spin moves are effective against first-look tacklers on second level. Suddenly shifts to bounce an inside run to the perimeter. Strings moves together on outside zone plays. Runs with knee bend and forward lean. Adequate pass catcher for screens and check-downs.

WEAKNESSES

Can elude initial tackle but struggles to accelerate after redirecting his feet. Average explosion traits. Marginal downhill burst through line of scrimmage. Inconsistent inside runner. Gets too cute in the hole when run comes to a close. Looks to spin rather than finish with authority. Needs to run to his size more consistently. Premature in breaking off play-side runs in outside zone. He might not trust his play speed. Slight gear-down into downhill cuts. Could struggle to find chunk runs on next level. Chip "leans" rather than chip blocks allowing open rib shots to go unclaimed.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 3

NFL COMPARISON

Olandis Gary

BOTTOM LINE

Big back with plus vision and enough elusiveness to make the first defender miss. Feel for the rushing lane helps him choose the correct path between the tackles but lacks the burst to turn the 4-yard run into 14. Zone-scheme runner with serviceable hands out of the backfield. Adequate in most areas and has talent to become a backup that can step in and handle a bigger load if needed.
College statistics

Hunt shows some improvement as far as the role he had in the offense growing each year he played. Good as a runner or as a receiver with 41 receptions as a senior.

Some may question Hunts level of competition playing in the MAC. But he showed at the senior bowl that he can compete with higher levels of competition.

Combine data

Nothing particularly exception about him based on these drills. He has good size for the position.

Very good at making defenders miss. 

• Hunt forced 48 missed tackles in 2015 and 57 in 2014. His 186 total missed tackles forced over the past three seasons ranks third among draft eligible RBs – behind only SDSU’s Donnell Pumphrey and FSU’s Dalvin Cook.
10 games

Expected to be a 2nd to 3rd round pick in the NFL draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if he gets to back of the 3rd, he's a beautiful fit in Detroit (real football, not fantasy) 

ETA: Actually I am surprised how awful he scored in the agility drills. I think that is really high on the Lions priorities for RBs so he might not be a target for Detroit.

The word that stuck out to me was balance. 
There are quite a few instances where you see him demonstrating good balance and the ability to keep his feet moving through contact.

The thing that I like about him is his vision and ability to create opportunities for himself when not much is there. He has several different moves to make defenders miss or get a bad angle on their tackle attempt. On one of his runs he combines a jump cut to make one defender miss, then takes a hop step backwards to make a second defender miss before proceeding with the play. That is a result of good balance as well, but the spatial awareness combined with this creativity is what makes him fun to watch.

If he were more athletic these skills would translate to bigger plays and he would likely be talked about more, I was a bit surprised I couldn't find a thread on him here yet (there likely is I just couldn't find it).

I would assume most folks are at least somewhat familiar with Hunt. As a Vikings fan I heard a lot about Hunt around the senior bowl but the buzz seems to have cooled off since the combine.

I just came across the stat in the PFFarticle about forcing the 3rd most missed tackles in the last 3 seasons and thought it was worth sharing, then needed somewhere to put it.

Yeah, nobody on the board heard of him before Bia's post.

I would assume most folks are at least somewhat familiar with Hunt. As a Vikings fan I heard a lot about Hunt around the senior bowl but the buzz seems to have cooled off since the combine.

I just came across the stat in the PFFarticle about forcing the 3rd most missed tackles in the last 3 seasons and thought it was worth sharing, then needed somewhere to put it.
Hope it was obvious that I was joking.  But I do like the kid.  

Lacks elite breakaway speed but can definitely run in space between the tackles and bounce it outside.  Can catch the ball effectively.  Obviously a lot hinges on landing spot but the kid has 3-down talent.  Doesn't fumble.

Let me preface this by saying he's been one of my favorite sleeper RB's for a few months now.  

He kind of reminds me of Lache Seastrunk a little bit though.  There's a flailing aspect to what Hunt does and I remember thinking the same thing about Seastrunk.  I'm a little cautious because of that but he does seem to do everything rather well.  He also measured in at the combine smaller than I expected.  All of that is my cautious mind talking.  However there were things I liked a lot, he makes people miss, fast enough with good balance and strength.  Seemed to be very explosive as well and his vert might suggest that as well.  If he goes to a downhill scheme then I'm interested in taking him. 

CBS Sports' Rob Rang writes that Toledo RB Kareem Hunt "has starter qualities."

"It isn’t just the balance through contact, burst and underrated wiggle that Hunt showed on tape against MAC foes, but that he looked just as good as elite competition at the Senior Bowl," Rang explains. He also offers up one of our favorite Hunt stats -- in 855 career touches, he has fumbled exactly once. That is spicy. The analyst believes the 5-foot-10, 216-pounder could be a potential Day 3 steal. Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline puts him right on the borderline, assigning him a fourth-round grade. It wouldn't knock our socks off if he saw love late on Day 2. 
Apr 9 - 1:33 PM

Source: CBS Sports

Toledo RB Kareem Hunt's 98 total missed tackles forced in 2016 were the second-most in the FBS.

And on a more micro level, his 22 missed tackles forced on receptions were also good for second in the country. PFF comps him to Baltimore Ravens RB Kenneth Dixon. Notes the outlet, "[Hunt] has limited pass-protection experience, but otherwise could be an every-down back from the start if needed." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein offers a variation on that assessment, writing that Hunt "has talent to become a backup that can step in and handle a bigger load if needed." During Combine festivities, the 5-foot-10, 216-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds, put in 18 reps on the bench press and logged jumps of 36.5 inches (vertical) and 119 inches (broad).

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Mar 12 - 4:00 PM

Toledo RB Kareem Hunt fumbled just once on offense during his collegiate career despite touching the ball 856 times.

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler compiled the numbers and noted the fumble was during Hunt's freshman season. Hunt obviously has the best fumble rate of any running back in this class. The Toledo product was our favorite senior runner entering Senior Bowl week and will be our favorite for the entire process.

Source: CBS Sports 
Feb 10 - 10:15 AM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline passes along that Toledo RB Kareem Hunt met with 25 NFL teams at the Senior Bowl.

Of those 25 meetings, Pauline relays that 10 of them were "full franchise meetings" that included the general manager. The Jets were one such team which held a full franchise meeting with the Toledo standout. The offshoot of this early interview slate is that because Hunt has already met extensively with several teams, he may not interview quite as much at the Combine. Hunt is a likely Day 3 candidate for this spring's draft.

Source: Draft Analyst 
Feb 5 - 2:00 PM

I hope he doesn't go to the Lions or Niners.  I think he has starter qualities.  Could he unseat Hyde or Abdullah?  Maybe Abdullah but I'm guessing not Hyde.  

I feel Hunt is an ok prospect. He's got talent, but not enough to build an offense around. Solid role player. I liked PFF's comparison to Kenneth Dixon, though I think Dixon was a much better prospect. I expect Hunt to got around the 3-4 turn. Steelers wouldn't be bad. I think the Titans would be a sneaky good fit, Murray will be 30 in 2018, and has almost no guaranteed money after that. I think Henry and Hunt could be a nice future combo for such a run based team.

ESPN's Michael Rothstein tosses out Toledo RB Kareem Hunt as a possibility for the Lions on Day 2.

Hunt "received a lot of attention," per Rothstein, from Bob Quinn and the Lions during the process. Detroit sent its RB coach to Hunt's pro day workout. "Hunt is a strong runner who likes contact, but has the shiftiness to to get away from defenders late," Rothstein wrote. "He’d be an intriguing addition to Detroit's backfield." Alvin Kamara is another option if Detroit picks a running back Friday, according to Rothstein.

Source: ESPN 
Apr 28 - 4:12 PM

Chiefs traded up to select Toledo RB Kareem Hunt with the No. 86 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Hunt (5’11/216) graduated as the Rockets’ all-time leading rusher, posting a career line of 782-4,945-44 (6.32 YPC) with 73 receptions, including 41 grabs as a senior. Hunt earned Most Outstanding Player at January’s Senior Bowl, only to struggle at the Combine with a sluggish forty (4.62) and broad jump (9’11"). Rookie Scouting Portfolio’s Matt Waldman has compared Hunt to a Chester Taylor, Joique Bell-level No. 2 back or capable spot starter. While his athleticism doesn’t stand out, PFF College charted Hunt with the second-most missed tackles forced (98) in the nation in 2016, and Hunt fumbled just once on 856 college touches. We are big fans of Hunt and believe he'll give Spencer Ware a serious run for the Chiefs' starting job in camp.

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values

Excerpt:

Kansas City Chiefs: Kareem Hunt, RB – Hunt’s landing spot will push him much higher in my post-draft rankings compared to pre-draft. Hunt does everything well but isn’t amazing at anything. I compared him to Frank Gore, but to be fair, Gore has put together a great career and RB1 seasons. Hunt is patient with good cuts and is a solid pass catcher. With Spencer Ware looking like a flash in the pan and Jamaal Charles gone, Hunt can be the Chiefs new lead option. Ware and Hunt likely share the touches to start, but I give the edge to Hunt, and if he sees the majority share, Hunt will be a solid RB2. Consider him more of a RB3… for now, though.

Awesome dynasty stash.   West and Ware are probably JAGs and Reid will squeeze the best out of this kid.  I'm a fan, great landing spot.

I need to watch some film of this guy, as I haven't much yet.  Personally I was not ready to write off Ware yet.  He was solid until that concussion vs Indy, then never seemed to be the same.  Do you guys think he's head and shoulders better than Ware?

Hunt was a guy I really liked and this is a good landing spot. I do own Ware in two leagues though so I'm a bit torn. Ware looked great until his concussion and ankle sprain but he's likely not an elite talent. Hunt has a shot to unseat him but I'm guessing they'll likely form a good NFL tandem that will be bad for fantasy owners.

Hunt was a guy I really liked and this is a good landing spot. I do own Ware in two leagues though so I'm a bit torn. Ware looked great until his concussion and ankle sprain but he's likely not an elite talent. Hunt has a shot to unseat him but I'm guessing they'll likely form a good NFL tandem that will be bad for fantasy owners.
I really don't know if Hunt is better than Ware, but from what I've read about him he is tremendously underrated. 

I feel like KC doesn't draft Hunt if they really liked Ware.  For KC to go away from him last season tells me that they don't view him as the answer. Kareem Hunt might not be but if I had to pick I would say Hunt will be the guy by mid-season

I feel like KC doesn't draft Hunt if they really liked Ware.  For KC to go away from him last season tells me that they don't view him as the answer. Kareem Hunt might not be but if I had to pick I would say Hunt will be the guy by mid-season
They didn't go away from Ware at all, he got injured. Maybe I'm a little low on Hunt, but I think Ware has a good amount of job security in KC. Hunt will be an upgrade from West as the #2, and I expect he'll see at least 1/3rd of the load, but don't sell Ware short, he's been very good these last two years.

They didn't go away from Ware at all, he got injured. Maybe I'm a little low on Hunt, but I think Ware has a good amount of job security in KC. Hunt will be an upgrade from West as the #2, and I expect he'll see at least 1/3rd of the load, but don't sell Ware short, he's been very good these last two years.
No he got injured and then even when he was healthy they went away from him. I owned ware last season and was puzzled by his usage post injury when he look so strong to start the year. Something was going on other than injury and now the draft hunt...

KC traded up to draft Hunt so that is a sign of some extra commitment to him. 

I think Hunt could be very good if he earns a starting role for KC even with some continued RBBC. Hunt is a pretty good receiver, so if he could earn that role (beating out West) he could be a RB 3 in a time share or a RB 2 if he were to get 65% of the opportunity at some point, due to injury or other reasons.

As far as the long term prospects. Any RB who was not a 1st round pick is at risk of losing their jobs to competition in following drafts and free agency unless they perform at a very high level.

I think Hunt could be like Chester Taylor, in that he could have a useful fantasy season if things break right and he gets enough opportunity. Maybe that would be short lived if KC drafts a more talented player down the road and he gets relegated to COP. Or he could play well enough to be like Ray Rice (a player a lot of people were not sure of his talent level as a prospect) but ended up having a few successful seasons.

Jamal Charles was a 3rd round pick for them who became a long term starter. I don't think Hunt is on Charles level. Just pointing out that KC has used a 3rd round RB as their starter for an extended period of time before, so if Hunt plays well enough, that kind of opportunity could be available to him.

Getting one good season out of a RB is worth a late 1st to early 2nd round rookie pick in fantasy I think.

:goodposting:  

IMO the Chiefs taking Hunt instead of a number of other RBs solidifies Ware's hold on the RB1 job. I expect Hunt will be overrated for fantasy purposes. 

So not mid first! Haha
I don't understand the comment. What I'm saying is that I think there are a number of RBs who would have posed more of a threat to Ware, including certain RBs drafted later than Hunt. Yes, a first round RB would have been a much bigger threat, but that wasn't the point.

:goodposting:  

IMO the Chiefs taking Hunt instead of a number of other RBs solidifies Ware's hold on the RB1 job. I expect Hunt will be overrated for fantasy purposes. 
Sure, and taking maholmes solidifies Alex smiths hold on the qb spot. Ware has been a serviceable back, but hunt will carve out a role and could be starting the 2nd half of the season if ware wears down again.

I don't understand the comment. What I'm saying is that I think there are a number of RBs who would have posed more of a threat to Ware, including certain RBs drafted later than Hunt. Yes, a first round RB would have been a much bigger threat, but that wasn't the point.
He meant - was Hunt worth a mid first dynasty rookie pick.   

Users who are viewing this thread