What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (9 Viewers)

It's a damn shame that he's on Cleveland as a backup. I think it's for the best though. Guy was close to being blackballed.

But he's got the talent and should something happen to Chubb, he can be a Top 5 back. I feel like him going somewhere not to be featured is somewhat of a "punishment".

Interesting case of another player stuck in purgatory.

It's a damn shame that he's on Cleveland as a backup. I think it's for the best though. Guy was close to being blackballed.

But he's got the talent and should something happen to Chubb, he can be a Top 5 back. I feel like him going somewhere not to be featured is somewhat of a "punishment".

Interesting case of another player stuck in purgatory.
It is "punishment" for him doing bad things.  He deserved to be punished.  I also don't think when you do things against the law (assault) that you are being "blackballed".  He deserves to need to prove he has turned around his life and as a free agent he has choices to make on how he wants to prove he has turned things around.  Maybe not having the pressure of a starting opportunity is what he needs to stay on the straight and narrow.  There are many factors involved that those of us on the outside have no idea about. 

Has Hunt's value skyrocketed recently or something? Dynasty PPR owner of him wanted my AR15 for Hunt + 2nd round pick.
I don't think it's sky rocketed. I think it's been there for a bit as far as I'm concerned. I have him and was offered second round pick numerous times about a month or two ago and that's not really close for me knowing his role this year and that he could potentially land a starting gig next year. Point being, it would take a lot for me to give up Hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
hispeedthinmint said:
Has Hunt's value skyrocketed recently or something? Dynasty PPR owner of him wanted my AR15 for Hunt + 2nd round pick.
I offered a first for Hunt and Pollard (I have Zeke) and was spurned a few months back. This is nothing new. The one would have been a mid-first, likely. Astute people are aware he's a UFA after the year and it's pumping up his value.

I honestly can see Hunt out producing Chubb in fantasy, with that said I still think Chubb is one of the most talented RB's in the NFL but I'm referring to fantasy production. My guess is around 60/40 rushing split between Chubb and Hunt with Hunt dominating RB receptions and also being featured as a receiver in spread formations. I also think inside of the 10 yard line they will use 2 RB formations with both being featured with equal chances and random luck at getting into the end zone.

I have also heard reliable NFL insider Adam Kaplan report the current coaching staff is extremely high on Hunt. For fantasy I think the receptions, receiving yards, and possible receiving touchdowns will produce more fantasy points vs Chubb getting more rushing volume. If either RB sits out for injury I also see Hunt benefiting more as he should still retain most of the RB receptions while Chubb would most likely split receptions with the depth RB's.

Over $8 million guaranteed money. Has to be a good thing for Hunt owners and a "not so good" thing for Chubb owners. 

What?  Why would this be?  Terrible for Hunt owners.
Not sure if you are being facetious. He was set to walk after this season. The Browns have now agreed to pay him $13.25 million, with $8 million guaranteed. That is NOT the type of money you give to a "back-up" who you don't plan to make significant use out of. Respectfully, I am not sure how you could see this any other way as a positive for Hunt owners and a negative for Chubb owners. 

Not sure if you are being facetious. He was set to walk after this season. The Browns have now agreed to pay him $13.25 million, with $8 million guaranteed. That is NOT the type of money you give to a "back-up" who you don't plan to make significant use out of. Respectfully, I am not sure how you could see this any other way as a positive for Hunt owners and a negative for Chubb owners. 
As someone who owns both, it's a negative.

If Chubb stays as well(which he should) this is likely bad news for both RBs.  The good news for both would be Hunt going to another team to be the clear RB1.

Hunt owners wanted him to walk after this season, straight into a situation where he'd be the clear RB1 and dominate the touches, rather than splitting them with another great RB.

Hunt owners wanted him to walk after this season, straight into a situation where he'd be the clear RB1 and dominate the touches, rather than splitting them with another great RB.
I suppose in the long-term dynasty perspective, but in the short term, redraft 2020 perspective, I still think it is a good thing for Hunt owners. 

Anyone pretending this doesn’t hurt both Chubb and Hunt in dynasty are kidding themselves. They’d have to be an elite offense for multiple seasons to return the type of value they were going for, Chubb especially. It was priced in a little, or he’d have been a 1st round startup pick, but it wasn’t being held against him nearly harshly enough imo but now it will be. Great player who has his PPR value hurt big time. Owning both gives you the best RB situation in the league if either misses time, but it’ll be frustrating otherwise imo.

Keith1 said:
Sure, this solidifies a role with the Browns, but it’s not remotely going to be close to a bell cow role with Chubb in the picture.  And Chubb is going nowhere.

Had Hunt signed elsewhere next offseason, a bell cow role was a distinct possibility.  Unless you were simply hoping for Hunt to avoid a total tanking of value, this is terrible news for Hunt owners holding to hit a jackpot.

Rotoworld take:

Browns signed Kareem Hunt to a two-year, $13.25 million contract extension.

The deal includes $8.5 million guaranteed. Currently set to make $3.26 million on a one-year tender in 2020, Hunt's annual salary will double that mark and keep him locked up in Cleveland through his age-27 season. Hunt averaged 5.5 targets per game upon joining the Browns in Week 10 last year and projects for a similar role behind Nick Chubb this season. He's a top-of-the-line RB3 with a direct path to week-winning production if Chubb goes down.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 8, 2020, 1:10 PM ET

I think it’s going to nose dive a little now in dynasty.  No way I’m giving a 2021 1st rounder today for him.  I tried a few times to pry him away from the Hunt owner with that offer plus a little more and got rejected.  Now, after today’s news, the most I would offer is a 2021 2nd rounder for him.

As a Hunt dynasty owner not too thrilled about this. I wonder why Hunt would agree to this? Seems like he’s giving up opportunity for much bigger contract 

As a Hunt dynasty owner not too thrilled about this. I wonder why Hunt would agree to this? Seems like he’s giving up opportunity for much bigger contract 
Given the whiplash he’s caused his own career so far and only being on a rookie contract till now, I’m not surprised he took the decent guaranteed money of over $8M. He hasn’t made real money yet, it would be a serious gamble to hope to be one of the few coveted FA RB’s that get more guaranteed dollars than that. Now he’s taken care of and he can hit the market again in two years at still a prime age for RB’s if he performs. Imagine if he tears something this year and then was a FA who still never cashed in with decent guaranteed money? Better to take the $8M   guaranteed + salary now with a coaching staff who likes him, who knows him, and keep his future FA legs fresh splitting with Chubb.

Isn't Hunt a Cleveland native? Sacrifice a little money, to play for your hometown, and perhaps childhood favorite team, is something I think many might do.

Also, its probably more than he'd get on the open market. With his off field history, and the potential logjam of FA RB's(Kamara, Cook, A.Jones, Carson, Conner, etc.) I'm not sure Hunt would be a huge priority, and may have had to settle for a below market deal. 

Seems like a solid deal for both sides. That said, I think this changes nothing fantasy wise, other than maybe lowering Hunt's dynasty value. Chubb is still going to see a minimum of 65% of the carries, and Hunt's receiving role was always going to take a step back from last year, as the had nothing at TE, and a not really healthy Beckham.

This does somewhat reinforce my belief that the Browns will be the run heaviest team in the NFL this year. 

I kinda of think he’s giving the Browns a potential discount because the Browns were the only team willing to take a chance on him.

Any chance the Browns are planning on letting Chubb walk after 2021? Rather than paying him 14-15 mill a year.

Any chance the Browns are planning on letting Chubb walk after 2021? Rather than paying him 14-15 mill a year.
Can't see him getting $15M per year unless the cap skyrockets. Only McCaffrey and Elliott are making that right now, and he's not in their class.

Can't see him getting $15M per year unless the cap skyrockets. Only McCaffrey and Elliott are making that right now, and he's not in their class.
Talent wise I think he is in their class.  He is just not utilized the way they are in their situations.  I think if Chubb was in Dallas he would be just as good if not better than Zeke. 

I think he’s better than Zeke as a runner. But Zeke is elite in pass pro and a plus receiver. CMC is a different animal with his elite receiving skills. I think he’s better than Mixon who just got 12 mill. 

Keith1 said:
Most of us play dynasty, and in that regard it's bad bad bad for Hunt owners that were sitting on him speculatively awaiting his chance to get a starting gig as soon as next year.  That plan is now in the tank.

IHEARTFF said:
browns gonna brown
That's a bad comment because this is a very good thing for the Browns.  They got a very talented player at a very discounted rate.  He'll have plenty of chances to get touches, he's a tremendous handcuff in case of an injury to Chubb, he gives them leverage in Chubb's contract negotiations, heck his trade value just skyrocketed to other teams too - so many good things come out of this for the Browns.

Not to nitpick, but I think Chubb is quite a bit better than Elliott. Since becoming a starter, he's had as many yards on fewer carries with a far worse supporting cast. 

Its for another thread, but Ezekiel Elliott is arguably the most overrated player in the NFL. He's been in a perfect situation for a RB his entire career. Considering the hype and capital put into him(4th overall pick, and large 2nd contract) I'd argue he's actually underachieved a little. He's still yet to top DeMarco Murray's best work. 

Chubb is the best runner in the NFL, and best overall RB after CMC. Elliott is a 2nd tier guy, which is also where I'd put Kareem Hunt. Top dozen or so sure, but not truly elite. 

I think he’s better than Zeke as a runner. But Zeke is elite in pass pro and a plus receiver. CMC is a different animal with his elite receiving skills. I think he’s better than Mixon who just got 12 mill. 
Chubb is a much better pass blocker than Zeke. Its not even close. Chubb is one of the best in the NFL, where as Zeke is merely decent. I'd also argue Zeke and Chubb are about equal as pass catchers. Zeke is used more often, but that is because of Hunt. Hunt is arguably the best pass blocking RB in the NFL, and is in the upper echelon of pass catchers. 

The Browns arguably have 2 of the top-5 RB's in the NFL, at the very least 2 of the top dozen, depending on how much of Hunt's work you want to credit to the Chiefs offense.

I will agree that Chubb, Zeke, and Hunt are all better than Mixon. To me, that Mixon deal was a little bit like if the Chargers had given into Gordon's demands last year. 

Most of us play dynasty, and in that regard it's bad bad bad for Hunt owners that were sitting on him speculatively awaiting his chance to get a starting gig as soon as next year.  That plan is now in the tank.

That's a bad comment because this is a very good thing for the Browns.  They got a very talented player at a very discounted rate.  He'll have plenty of chances to get touches, he's a tremendous handcuff in case of an injury to Chubb, he gives them leverage in Chubb's contract negotiations, heck his trade value just skyrocketed to other teams too - so many good things come out of this for the Browns.
I wasn’t counting on Hunt getting a full time gig in the off-season. Maybe I am in the minority. I see this as a slight positive for Hunt and a major negative for Chubb. I believe there were more Chubb owners hoping for Hunt to move on than Hunt owners hoping for the same. 

Slight positive for Hunt because we know what we have now in Hunt. They used him well enough last year to make him a RB2. 

Major negative for Chubb because they aren’t paying Hunt to do nothing

I’ll gladly take 12 points a week from Hunt for the next few years. He’s now the Jarvis Landry of RBs. Coincidentally on the Browns, not the alpha at his position, will likely be very consistent, and extremely under valued by fantasy players

More I think on this, this is bad for Hunt and Chubb in dynasty but good for Hunt in re-draft and prob bad for Chubb in re-draft.  Someone just tweeted that they plan to use Hunt more than expected this year. Guess we'll see.  Also could get a little interesting if possibly Chubb holds out next year going into the last year of his contract. He might be a little pissed off if he thinks he won't get paid what he thinks he deserves when his contract is up.

Chubb is a much better pass blocker than Zeke. Its not even close. Chubb is one of the best in the NFL, where as Zeke is merely decent. I'd also argue Zeke and Chubb are about equal as pass catchers. Zeke is used more often, but that is because of Hunt. Hunt is arguably the best pass blocking RB in the NFL, and is in the upper echelon of pass catchers. 

The Browns arguably have 2 of the top-5 RB's in the NFL, at the very least 2 of the top dozen, depending on how much of Hunt's work you want to credit to the Chiefs offense.

I will agree that Chubb, Zeke, and Hunt are all better than Mixon. To me, that Mixon deal was a little bit like if the Chargers had given into Gordon's demands last year. 
I don’t think Chubb is considered a better pass blocker than Zeke who was lauded as one of the best coming out and I don’t think he’s done anything to tarnish that. I’d take Zeke as a more versatile receiver as well. At this point. I’d love Chubb to get there.

Users who are viewing this thread