What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (1 Viewer)

Any chance the Browns are planning on letting Chubb walk after 2021? Rather than paying him 14-15 mill a year.
I think this move presents the Browns options on what to do with Chubb after 2020; not 2021. RB's have been rightfully making waves going into their contract year. It's the only time they're seeing money and the free agent market for RB's has not been kind, so teams either extend them early or risk a messy holdout. Maybe the Browns offer Chubb a below market extension and if he rightfully declines see if another team is willing to trade a day 2 pick to extend Chubb. Then Hunt is the 2021 starter and a new backup is drafted. If there is no market at the asking price and Chubb holds out then...Hunt is still the starter.

I think this move presents the Browns options on what to do with Chubb after 2020; not 2021. RB's have been rightfully making waves going into their contract year. It's the only time they're seeing money and the free agent market for RB's has not been kind, so teams either extend them early or risk a messy holdout. Maybe the Browns offer Chubb a below market extension and if he rightfully declines see if another team is willing to trade a day 2 pick to extend Chubb. Then Hunt is the 2021 starter and a new backup is drafted. If there is no market at the asking price and Chubb holds out then...Hunt is still the starter.
To be honest I cannot see a scenario where this is good for Hunt without an injury to Chubb.  I suppose a holdout / trade is possible in the future, but as it stands today, I'm glad I traded Hunt.

I agree it presents options, so the door is not totally closed on Hunt in another year or two. But obviously it takes the wind out of the sails of those of us that were hoping Hunt landed somewhere next year as the starter. Now it's either sell him quiet a bit lower or hang onto him as a possible flex option and hope something shakes loose in another year or two.

Edit: I think this definitely hurts Chubb in the same way - got to hope that Chubb leaves or is traded now because his upside is capped by Hunt's presence barring some offensive renaissance in Cleveland.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree it presents options, so the door is not totally closed on Hunt in another year or two. But obviously it takes the wind out of the sails of those of us that were hoping Hunt landed somewhere next year as the starter. Now it's either sell him quiet a bit lower or hang onto him as a possible flex option and hope something shakes loose in another year or two.

Edit: I think this definitely hurts Chubb in the same way - got to hope that Chubb leaves or is traded now because his upside is capped by Hunt's presence barring some offensive renaissance in Cleveland.
I made an outlook reminder for a Monday in October to try and buy Hunt off whoever owns him in my leagues. If I'm wrong about the Browns are going to do then I'll just delete it, but I expect Chubb to go nuts and Hunt to be a great COP back. If that holds then that may be the buying opportunity for Hunt. 

Not to nitpick, but I think Chubb is quite a bit better than Elliott. Since becoming a starter, he's had as many yards on fewer carries with a far worse supporting cast. 

Its for another thread, but Ezekiel Elliott is arguably the most overrated player in the NFL. He's been in a perfect situation for a RB his entire career. Considering the hype and capital put into him(4th overall pick, and large 2nd contract) I'd argue he's actually underachieved a little. He's still yet to top DeMarco Murray's best work. 

Chubb is the best runner in the NFL, and best overall RB after CMC. Elliott is a 2nd tier guy, which is also where I'd put Kareem Hunt. Top dozen or so sure, but not truly elite. 
OK, fair points, and I don't disagree that Elliott is overrated. But that just leads to the other reason why Chubb probably won't get $15M per year -- the incredibly poor value teams have gotten out of high dollar RB contracts.

• McCaffrey, Henry, and Mixon just signed this offseason, and Cook and Kamara are possibly on the verge. So no track record for them post-signing at this point. 
  • Elliott signed last offseason and had arguably the worst season of his career.
  • The previous group that signed big contracts before last offseason included Bell, Gurley, Johnson, McKinnon, and Freeman, none of whom returned good value on their contracts to date. And none of them signed for $15M per year.
I suspect there will be a trend of seeing more contracts like the ones given to Ekeler, Hunt, and Gordon this offseason, i.e., $8M per year or less. I'm sure Chubb will get more than that, but still very skeptical he will hit $15M per year. Especially not with the Browns having to pay Mayfield soon.

OK, fair points, and I don't disagree that Elliott is overrated. But that just leads to the other reason why Chubb probably won't get $15M per year -- the incredibly poor value teams have gotten out of high dollar RB contracts.

• McCaffrey, Henry, and Mixon just signed this offseason, and Cook and Kamara are possibly on the verge. So no track record for them post-signing at this point. 
  • Elliott signed last offseason and had arguably the worst season of his career.
  • The previous group that signed big contracts before last offseason included Bell, Gurley, Johnson, McKinnon, and Freeman, none of whom returned good value on their contracts to date. And none of them signed for $15M per year.
I suspect there will be a trend of seeing more contracts like the ones given to Ekeler, Hunt, and Gordon this offseason, i.e., $8M per year or less. I'm sure Chubb will get more than that, but still very skeptical he will hit $15M per year. Especially not with the Browns having to pay Mayfield soon.
Agree with some of your post but they don’t have to pay Mayfield anything.

Agree with some of your post but they don’t have to pay Mayfield anything.
They do in 2022 unless they intend to let him walk and replace him. His cap hits the next 2 seasons are $9M and $10.5M. I don't think they will be getting him for that in 2022. No issue if they replace him with another relatively cheap draft pick, but replacing him with a veteran will also likely increase the investment at the position.

They do in 2022 unless they intend to let him walk and replace him. His cap hits the next 2 seasons are $9M and $10.5M. I don't think they will be getting him for that in 2022. No issue if they replace him with another relatively cheap draft pick, but replacing him with a veteran will also likely increase the investment at the position.
Well that's a ways off, let's see him actually have a decent season before worrying about that.

Keith1 said:
Not sure if you are being facetious. He was set to walk after this season. The Browns have now agreed to pay him $13.25 million, with $8 million guaranteed. That is NOT the type of money you give to a "back-up" who you don't plan to make significant use out of. Respectfully, I am not sure how you could see this any other way as a positive for Hunt owners and a negative for Chubb owners. 
Tevin Coleman, Jalen Richard, Gio Bernard, Latavius Murray, and Duke Johnson are all making that kind of money (or more). It absolutely does not guarantee some kind of major role. 

Hunt taking over the feature back role elsewhere is the reason everyone owns him. This is absolutely bad news. 

I wasn’t counting on Hunt getting a full time gig in the off-season. Maybe I am in the minority. I see this as a slight positive for Hunt and a major negative for Chubb. I believe there were more Chubb owners hoping for Hunt to move on than Hunt owners hoping for the same. 

Slight positive for Hunt because we know what we have now in Hunt. They used him well enough last year to make him a RB2. 

Major negative for Chubb because they aren’t paying Hunt to do nothing

I’ll gladly take 12 points a week from Hunt for the next few years. He’s now the Jarvis Landry of RBs. Coincidentally on the Browns, not the alpha at his position, will likely be very consistent, and extremely under valued by fantasy players
When I have a 25 year old rb with a 3-down skillset who is probably one of the 10 most talented backs in the league a solid flex with low rb2 upside is not what I'm looking to get out of the guy long term. 

When I have a 25 year old rb with a 3-down skillset who is probably one of the 10 most talented backs in the league a solid flex with low rb2 upside is not what I'm looking to get out of the guy long term. 
I didn’t pay rb1 price for him so I guess my expectations are a bit lower, and I’m okay with it. At this point anything fantasy relevant is great. Now if another RB on my team, my RB1, was cut and resigned as a backup somewhere then I’d agree and be in your shoes. I still think it’s entirely possible they move on from Chubb once his contract is over

Tool said:
Well that's a ways off, let's see him actually have a decent season before worrying about that.
The point is, the recent trends could imply that Chubb would be looking for a big extension next offseason. Next offseason is the same offseason that Browns have to pick up Mayfield's 5th year option if they choose to do so. That fifth year option would be $20M to $25M in 2022, and then he would still be a free agent in 2023. So at the same time Chubb will be looking to get paid, the Browns will likely be paying a lot more for QB. That seems to make it less likely they will break the bank for Chubb. That's all I was getting at.

Kareem Hunt rushed 13 times for 72 yards in the Browns' Week 1 loss to the Ravens, adding four catches for nine yards.

Hunt out-carried on the back of a terrible game-script for Cleveland. Chubb got the first two carries but Hunt quickly found himself on the field. The Browns never held a lead and took on an 18-point deficit by halftime. Hunt earned three more carries than Chubb and five extra targets. He played 46% of the team's snaps while Chubb took the field for 51% of the snaps. Chubb should lead the Browns in carries going forward but Cleveland is set to take more of a backfield-by-committee approach than most expected. Any game that Cleveland is projected to lose should be a good time to play Hunt. The Browns face Cincinnati at home next week so it could be a Chubb game. Hunt is a volatile RB3 going forward but has loads of weekly upside.

- Rotoworld

Kareem Hunt rushed 10 times for 86 yards and a touchdown in the Browns' Week 2 win over the Bengals, adding two receptions for 15 additional yards and a score. 

Tonight was the stuff of nightmares for both opposing defenses and Nick Chubb fantasy managers, as the Browns had their 1-2 running back punch working to perfection. Chubb easily won the carry battle 22-10, but the Browns were comfortable using Hunt in any situation. That included the goal line(ish), where he scored a six-yard touchdown in the waning moments of the first half. The Browns were able to establish their will and dominate game flow tonight, but when they can't, Hunt is going to gobble up snaps as the comeback back. Game script shouldn't be an issue in Week 3 vs. Washington, but the WFT's stout defensive line will be. Hunt will be a back-end RB2. 

Sep 18, 2020, 12:25 AM ET

I just don't know what to do about Hunt. I grabbed him in the sixth for depth on my beech, but nights like this make me want to play him. But I find it almost impossible to bench my starting RBs for the #2 guy on the depth chart. Maybe I should just trade him? I wonder what I'd get in WR value? 

I just don't know what to do about Hunt. I grabbed him in the sixth for depth on my beech, but nights like this make me want to play him. But I find it almost impossible to bench my starting RBs for the #2 guy on the depth chart. Maybe I should just trade him? I wonder what I'd get in WR value? 
No idea what your league settings are but Hunt is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to the flex position.

If you can't start him as a flex at least you must be loaded. 

If you really have 3 other guys that are better then him then you should trade him.  It is tough to get his true value.  He will be a solid RB2 after this week.  But a lot of people won't give that due to the perception of him being the 2nd guy.  You could try the Chubb owner.  

I wound up with Hunt mainly because I went 0 RB in the first 4 rounds. Happily playing him as my #2.

No idea what your league settings are but Hunt is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to the flex position.
Yeah I played Fuller last week at flex and it paid off, so I left him there this week.  I feel like Fuller can always win a week for me almost on his own. But I agree that going forward Kareem will be tough to leave out of that position.

I went RB heavy early, so I have CEH and J Taylor, and then on my bench I have Malcolm Brown and Chase Edmonds.  But I'm a bit weak at WR (Chark, Parker, Fuller, Lamb, Watkins).

So yeah, maybe a trade of him or Brown for another starting WR might make sense.  Every league is different, right, it's always tough for me to guage a player's worth and make an owner an offer they won't find insulting. I hate to get the reputation as "that guy" who's always trying to make one-sided trades. It seems to me that other owners always value their players more highly than I objectively rank them.  Anyway, sorry, didn't mean for this to get off the rails of what a great player Kareem Hunt is. I drafted him as a rookie and he and Kamara carried me to the title, so I always have a soft spot for him.

Yeah I played Fuller last week at flex and it paid off, so I left him there this week.  I feel like Fuller can always win a week for me almost on his own. But I agree that going forward Kareem will be tough to leave out of that position.

I went RB heavy early, so I have CEH and J Taylor, and then on my bench I have Malcolm Brown and Chase Edmonds.  But I'm a bit weak at WR (Chark, Parker, Fuller, Lamb, Watkins).

So yeah, maybe a trade of him or Brown for another starting WR might make sense.  Every league is different, right, it's always tough for me to guage a player's worth and make an owner an offer they won't find insulting. I hate to get the reputation as "that guy" who's always trying to make one-sided trades. It seems to me that other owners always value their players more highly than I objectively rank them.  Anyway, sorry, didn't mean for this to get off the rails of what a great player Kareem Hunt is. I drafted him as a rookie and he and Kamara carried me to the title, so I always have a soft spot for him.
I appreciate your situation. I don't think you have a single player you'd part with whose stock has risen enough to fetch you a WR in return that's clearly better than what you have. I would wait for the fantasy gods to really ravage the RBs of someone in your league, at which point they should be much more interested in Hunt than they might be now. 

Kareem Hunt (groin) did not practice Wednesday.

It's the first time we've seen Hunt on the injury report this season. He's coming off 18 touches for 64 yards and one touchdown last week against Washington. Hunt has been a rock-solid RB2 play through three weeks. If he misses times, Nick Chubb would go back to elite RB1 status against Dallas. The Browns did promote Dontrelle Hilliard from the practice squad Wednesday.

Sep 30, 2020, 7:52 PM ET

Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot reports Kareem Hunt's groin "isn't believed to be serious".

Hunt is expected to "try to play on Sunday" against the Cowboys. The Browns offense wants to be as run-heavy as possible, setting up both Nick Chubb and Hunt as fantasy starters for the foreseeable future. If the Browns ever fall behind, Hunt is the better receiver of the two as a garbage time machine. On the road against Dallas, Hunt belongs on the RB2/3 radar as an upside play. Any Hunt setback would vault Chubb into the top-8.

RELATED: 

Nick Chubb

SOURCE: Cleveland.com

Oct 1, 2020, 12:07 PM ET

Says not believed to be serious, but then says he's going to "try to play", that doesn't sound very clear to me.  

Says not believed to be serious, but then says he's going to "try to play", that doesn't sound very clear to me.  
If I was going to bake a zero... "try to play" and groin injury would be on the list of ingredients.

He's out for me, unless he practices in full tomorrow with no INJ designation.

If I was going to bake a zero... "try to play" and groin injury would be on the list of ingredients.

He's out for me, unless he practices in full tomorrow with no INJ designation.
Unfortunately for me, losing Conner and Henry to the Covid bye means that I have no alternative. If he suits up for Cleveland, he suits up for me. 

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

DALLAS — When Kareem Hunt sat out practice on Wednesday and Thursday with his groin injury suffered during Sunday’s 34-20 victory over Washington, it appeared he might have to miss this week’s game n Dallas.

The Browns elevated running back Dontrell Hilliard from the practice squad, and appeared poised to divvy up Hunt’s many duties on offense.

But Hunt made a stunning turnaround late in the week and looked great during individual drills that were open to the media on Friday. If you didn’t know he had a groin injury, you wouldn’t have guessed it by watching. He’s listed as questionable for the game, but based on that practice, I fully expect him to play and be his usual explosive self.

Kareem Hunt rushed 11 times for 71 yards and two touchdowns in Cleveland's Week 4 win over the Cowboys.

Nick Chubb (knee) exited in the first quarter, allowing Hunt, D'Ernest Johnson (13/95), and Dontrell Hilliard (5/19) to pulverize Dallas' front-seven for 307 yards and 7.6 yards per carry. Even Odell Beckham got in on the action, running for a 50-yard touchdown on an end around to essentially put the Browns up 47-28 and end the game. One could argue Hunt's workload would have been larger if he wasn't fresh off a groin injury and limited availability in practice throughout the week. If Chubb misses time, expect Hunt to rank as an elite RB1 in the former's stead.

- Rotoworld

Browns can still have NFL's best rushing attack -- even without Nick Chubb

Excerpt:

Replacing Chubb, a Pro Bowler last season who entered the Dallas game fourth in the NFL in rushing, presents a considerable challenge for Stefanski and the Browns' offense. Even after missing most of Sunday's game, Chubb still ranks third with 148 rushing yards after contact. He's tied for second with four rushing touchdowns, and he's averaging a whopping 5.88 yards per carry.

But Sunday showed why the Browns might be equipped to weather the storm and keep rolling along until Chubb returns, which, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, could be Nov. 15 against the winless Houston Texans.

One big reason for that is Hunt, who was the 2017 NFL rushing champ while with the Kansas City Chiefs. The other factor is perhaps the league's most improved offensive line, which is punishing opponents at the line of scrimmage.

Last year, a beleaguered Cleveland line ranked just 31st in run block win rate. This season, the Browns are second.

Free-agent signing Jack Conklin and first-round rookie Jedrick Wills Jr. have stabilized and solidified the tackle positions, which were a disaster last season. Inside, right guard Wyatt Teller has emerged into a run-blocking mauler, effectively flanking Pro Bowl left guard Joel Bitonio and veteran stalwart center JC Tretter.

Against the Cowboys, the Browns posted an 86.1% run block win rate, the highest percentage in a single game by any team since ESPN incorporated the metric using Next Gen Stats data before last season. Off that performance, the Browns now are one of only two teams to rank in the top five in both run block and pass block win rates (the Green Bay Packers, the other, played Monday night).

"It's easy to start with the runners who are doing an outstanding job, but you have to look at the entire offense and you have to look at the offensive line knocking guys off the ball, utilizing the correct technique and going to the right people," said Stefanski, who also credited experienced offensive line coach Bill Callahan for the staggering turnaround up front. "It really takes 11 guys to make a run game go."

It also helps to have a second elite back to bring in off the bench.

Hunt, who has five touchdowns, including three receiving, in his past three games actually ranks ahead of Chubb with 154 yards after contact, despite seven fewer carries. He leads the NFL with an average of 3.1 yards after contact per carry.

Hunt is more than capable of shouldering the load while Chubb is out. Especially if Johnson, one of the breakout standouts in training camp, can prove to be a reliable sidekick.

Kareem Hunt (groin) was once again limited in Wednesday's practice.

This is the same injury that Hunt dealt with heading into Week 4 when he handled just 11 carries despite Nick Chubb exiting in the first quarter. The injury, at first, was described as "not believed to be serious" despite missing multiple practices. With that in mind, a limited session is an improvement compared to this time last week. Unless he faces a setback, Hunt is a strong start against the Colts in Week 5.

Oct 7, 2020, 8:05 PM ET

Kareem Hunt (groin) was removed from the Week 5 injury report.

Hunt won’t carry an injury designation after practicing fully Friday. With Nick Chubb (knee) on IR, he’s in line for his biggest workload of the season. Hunt is our No. 4 running back play for Week 5.

Oct 10, 2020, 9:39 AM ET

Kareem Hunt rushed 20 times for 72 yards, catching 3-of-4 targets for another 31 yards and one receiving score in Cleveland's Week 5 win over the Colts.

Hunt out-touched D'Ernest Johnson 23 to 9, totaling a hard earned 103 yards as the Browns lost steller G Wyatt Teller mid-game. Hunt's usage over Johnson would have arguably been even wider had the former not started cramping in the final quarter. Hunt was also on the receiving end of Baker Mayfield's first touchdown from the two-yard line, leaping to make the catch between two defenders to move the Browns ahead for a 10-7 lead. With Hunt presumably fully healthy against the Steelers in Week 6, he'll again be a usage-based RB1 while Nick Chubb (knee, IR) remains sidelined.

Oct 11, 2020, 7:36 PM ET

Kareem Hunt (thigh) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice. 

After being listed with a groin last week, it is Hunt's thigh that is slowing him coming off his 23-touch performance vs. the Colts. There has been no indication Hunt's Week 6 status is in doubt. He will probably be removed from the injury report on Friday. Although he is headed into another brutal matchup with the Steelers, Hunt's usage makes him a matchup-proof RB1 in Nick Chubb's absence. 

Oct 15, 2020, 4:09 PM ET

Kareem Hunt (ribs) remained "limited" on Thursday. 

It would be nice to see Hunt get in a "full" practice on Friday, but if his Week 7 status is in doubt, we haven't heard about it. Coming off back-to-back disappointing efforts in tough matchups, Hunt has a smash spot in the Bengals' run defense. He's a high-end RB1 for Week 7. 

Oct 22, 2020, 5:13 PM ET

Browns RB Kareem Hunt (groin) was not on the team's Friday injury report and will play this week against the Bengals. 

Hunt is in a fantastic spot against a Bengals defense allowing the sixth most rushing yards per game. Bengals opponents have averaged 28.2 rushing attempts per game, so we can expect Kevin Stefanski's offense to keep it on the ground this week. Cleveland put up 215 yards on the ground against the Bengals in Week 2. Hunt is locked in as a low-end RB1 for Week 7. 

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Oct 23, 2020, 2:50 PM ET

PREVIOUSNEXT

Kareem Hunt rushed 14 times for 66 yards in the Browns' Week 8 loss to the Raiders.

The Browns had 47 offensive plays, a laughably low total for modern football. Hunt remained the bellcow back in all phases, but he didn't rip off any big gains and was stuffed at the goal line. It was a relatively disappointing streak for Hunt with Nick Chubb sidelined, and there's a chance he returns to committee work in Week 10 following the upcoming bye. If that happens, Hunt needs to be downgraded to low-end RB2 rankings. If Chubb misses again, Hunt can be fired up as an RB1 against the Texans extremely vulnerable run defense.

- Rotoworld

Kareem Hunt rushed 19 times for 104 yards in the Browns' Week 10 win over the Texans, adding three receptions for 28 additional yards. 

All it took for Hunt to have his first 100-yard day on the ground this season was the return of Nick Chubb. With Chubb still knocking the rust off, Hunt appeared quick and decisive — much to the fixation of color analyst Matt Millen — winning the rushing yardage war until the game's final play, where Chubb ripped a 59-yard rumble down the left sideline. Hunt was oddly unproductive during Chubb's absence, but the return of mauling guard Wyatt Teller should solidify Hunt's RB2 production even as Chubb operates as an RB1. The Browns get the Eagles for Week 11.  

- Rotoworld

Kareem Hunt rushed 10 times for 62 yards in the Browns Week 12 win over the Jaguars. 

Nick Chubb crowded out Hunt with 143 rushing yards but he also stole all three running back targets from Hunt. Hunt operated as the receiving back early in the year so this is likely just a blip on the radar but Hunt's lack of targets is modestly concerning. If Hunt continues to give up targets to Chubb, he'll move into RB3 territory. For now, Hunt remains a volatile RB2 because of his team's affinity for the ground game.

- Rotoworld

Kareem Hunt rushed six times for 33 yards and one touchdown and caught 6-of-7 targets for 77 yards and a touchdown in the Browns' Week 14 loss to the Ravens.

Hunt led the Browns in catches and yards despite being third on the team in targets behind Rashard Higgins and Jarvis Landry. His rushing score came from five yards out in the third quarter, and then Hunt smoked CB Marlon Humphrey off the line wide left for a 22-yard touchdown with 1:04 left to play to tie the game 42-42. It was Hunt's first real big game since Week 10. The rushing score was just his second since Week 4, and Hunt now has four receiving scores on the year. He out-targeted Nick Chubb 7-2, but Chubb continues to have the big edge as a runner, out-carrying Hunt 17-6 in this one. Hunt will be an RB2 with upside next week against the Giants.

Dec 15, 2020, 12:05 AM ET

Kareem Hunt rushed seven times for 21 yards and caught his three targets for seven yards in the Browns' Week 15 win over the Giants.

Game script didn't tilt Hunt's way, and the Giants didn't do enough offensively to force the Browns to pick up their offensive pace. Thus, Hunt only handled 10 touches while Nick Chubb saw 17. Hunt's box scores have been sporadic since Chubb returned from injury, but the running backs in Hunt's tier do not possess his weekly upside. Hunt can be fired up as a ceiling play against the Jets in Week 16. His touchdown odds are reasonable.

- Rotoworld

Got Kamara’d yesterday and thinking of throwing a Hail Mary with Hunt tomorrow.  With 4 wr’s out due to COVID restrictions and Hunt being the receiving back I could see him being on the field a lot in a receiving role...at least that’s what I’m telling myself.  Sound logic?

Got Kamara’d yesterday and thinking of throwing a Hail Mary with Hunt tomorrow.  With 4 wr’s out due to COVID restrictions and Hunt being the receiving back I could see him being on the field a lot in a receiving role...at least that’s what I’m telling myself.  Sound logic?
I'm onboard. 

I mean. Sure. Name a better option if not. 

Users who are viewing this thread