What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (8 Viewers)

I shoulda been in PR. It still means "he's a good cheap player so we're signing him as long as he can keep his nose clean."
The 10th Circle of Hell is reserved for people who work in PR.

(For those counting at home, the 8th Circle is telemarketers and the 9th Circle is lobbyists.

Anything preventing the Browns from trading him?

Wait for the suspension, maybe reinstated prior to trade deadline... jackpot.

MAC_32 said:
They're not facts.  They're bad assumptions.  Below are the facts:

QB - Mayfield (draft), Taylor (trade), Stanton ($4.15 mil gtd)

RB - Chubb (draft), Duke (draft), and Hunt (scrap heap)

WR - Landry (trade + extend), Higgins (draft), Callaway (draft), Ratley (draft), Perriman (scrap heap)

TE - Njoku (draft), Fells ($4.65 mil gtd)

OT - Hubbard (9 mil gtd), Robinson (scrap heap), Harrison (udfa)

OG - Zeitler ($23 mil gtd), Bitonio (draft), Corbett (draft)

C - Tretter (6.5 mil gtd)

DE - Garrett (draft), Ogbah (draft), Smith ($4.5 mil gtd), Thomas, (draft), Zetter (scrap heap)

DT - Ogunjobi (draft), Coley (udfa)

LB - Schobert (draft), Kirksey (draft), Collins (trade + extend), Avery (draft)

CB - Ward (draft), Carrie ($10 mil gtd), Mitchell ($3.5 mil gtd), Gaines ($1.4 mil gtd)

S - Randall (trade), Peppers (draft), Kindred (draft), BBC (scrap heap)

---

2016 money > $3 mil (just picked a reasonable #) - Tramon Williams + Demario Davis (they fit your criteria but I'd argue they weren't overpay's - they were positive contributors at positions void of a starter), RG3 (he doesn't fit because Hue), McCown (was already here)

2017 - Brock (but actually Chubb), Haden (already here), Britt (facepalm) - but would have been used to extend Pryor if he weren't an idiot

2018 - nobody

---

So in 4 years you can easily point to one player that fits your criteria - Britt - and he wasn't even what the team wanted to.  Flimsily point to two - because Brock wasn't about Brock, it was about what turned into Chubb.  And...really can't make a strong argument for anyone else.

The facts are this team was ripped down to the studs and was rebuilt via acquiring draft capital, taking shots on cheap young talent, and (for the most part) unproven but young(ish) free agents who would accept modest contracts the team could get out of easily.  The team was either 1st or 2nd in cap space in each of the last 3 years.  The only free agents that received > $10 mil gtd were Zeitler, Brock, and Britt.  And if you wiggle to $10.5 then it's only Zeitler and Brock.  And again, Brock wasn't brought here to QB - he was brought here to acquire a pick for when this team would be good.  And he wasn't a free agent anyway.  All of this is why this team has so much cap space now along with extra draft picks (again), despite already having a capable starting lineup.

---

tl;dr - WAT
Yeah you are missing the point.

Obviously rookie contracts are inexpensive and the Browns have a lot of cap space, more cap space than they are allowed to have without being penalized. They have to spend the money some where.

Your list of players is incomplete and does not include the player that was being talked about Carlos Hyde. Obviously there are others such as Jamie Collins and Tyrod Taylor as highly paid players by the Browns recently.

As far as overspending in free agency, every team does that, it is just the economics of the NFL with a yearly rising salary cap. 

I never was trying to say that the Browns have overspent or anything, just that them signing Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson to decently sized contracts for a RB was part of filling that gap in the salary cap which is what they did.

Yeah you are missing the point.

Obviously rookie contracts are inexpensive and the Browns have a lot of cap space, more cap space than they are allowed to have without being penalized. They have to spend the money some where.

Your list of players is incomplete and does not include the player that was being talked about Carlos Hyde. Obviously there are others such as Jamie Collins and Tyrod Taylor as highly paid players by the Browns recently.

As far as overspending in free agency, every team does that, it is just the economics of the NFL with a yearly rising salary cap. 

I never was trying to say that the Browns have overspent or anything, just that them signing Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson to decently sized contracts for a RB was part of filling that gap in the salary cap which is what they did.
Because he wasn't paid much money.  I only accounted for free agents that commanded meaningful money.  And there's a good argument that some of those cited didn't actually command meaningful money.  This team's been intentionally not paying free agents to maximize spending ability once competitive.  And now we're there.

Because he wasn't paid much money.  I only accounted for free agents that commanded meaningful money.  And there's a good argument that some of those cited didn't actually command meaningful money.  This team's been intentionally not paying free agents to maximize spending ability once competitive.  And now we're there.
Tons of cash for the Browns to spend this year.

I am surprised there are teams such as the Colts who have even more cap space right now.

NFL suspended Browns RB Kareem Hunt eight games for violating the league's personal-conduct policy.

Hunt's ban was expected to be for at least six games, so this falls in line with that. The Browns shouldn't be surprised here. For the first half of the season, Nick Chubb will be Cleveland's workhorse. Hunt will not appeal the ban after being caught on video beating up a woman at a hotel. The Browns will welcome Hunt back with open arms as long as he doesn't have anymore slip-ups. NFL teams will always bet on talent no matter how harsh the crime committed.

Mar 15, 2019, 8:05 AM

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

Of course he does......

Geez. The kid had a miserable childhood, being raised in a family whose males’ typical resume was more police blotter than work history.  His father was arrested 35 times, including multiple DVs.

Yeah, he pushed and then kicked - actually more tipping over with his foot than kicking - that girl, but several witnesses have stated she was throwing the N word at Hunt and others after she was kicked out and also allegedly spit in Hunt’s face.  But he’s still owning his actions as something he should not have done, and has shown genuine remorse for his actions. 

He’s appears to be doing a lot of things to change himself into a better person and break a cycle of criminal behavior and violence that is rife in his family, and you react this way?  Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Geez. The kid had a miserable childhood, being raised in a family whose males’ typical resume was more police blotter than work history.  His father was arrested 35 times, including multiple DVs.

Yeah, he pushed and then kicked - actually more tipping over with his foot than kicking - that girl, but several witnesses have stated she was throwing the N word at Hunt and others after she was kicked out and also allegedly spit in Hunt’s face.  But he’s still owning his actions as something he should not have done, and has shown genuine remorse for his actions. 

He’s appears to be doing a lot of things to change himself into a better person and break a cycle of criminal behavior and violence that is rife in his family, and you react this way?  Seriously, what is wrong with you?
Nothing is wrong with me.  I'm just aware that every time an athlete or celebrity does something wrong, they run to Jesus.  It's typical.  Nice double standard you're presenting.  I can't be judgmental of him, but you can be judgmental of me.

100% agree

hope Hunt exceeds all expectations and lives an amazing Godly life from here on out

I can't be judgmental of him, but you can be judgmental of me.
if you're trying to Judge Hunt, then you SHOULD expect people to judge you, shouldn't you ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is wrong with me.  I'm just aware that every time an athlete or celebrity does something wrong, they run to Jesus.  It's typical.  Nice double standard you're presenting.  I can't be judgmental of him, but you can be judgmental of me. 
Wait, you're complaining about double standards?  You just judged Hunt but others can't judge you?  Irony much?

Rumors swirling around the Twitterverse that he was involved in a bar fight last night...nothing concrete, obviously, but worth monitoring until it's confirmed either way.

Hunt is a tough pick in redraft since he won't see the field until week 10.  First weeks of WW activity can be pretty important and having him clog up a roster spot for 9 weeks with no action and then not really knowing what his role will be and what the Browns will look like by week 10 is kind of a mystery.  I guess people are expecting him to be a game changer for the last 7 weeks (since most leagues end week 16).  Huge roster leagues, maybe. 

Cell phone footage shows Hunt being questioned outside of a bar after a disagreement with a friend. No arrest, wasn't detained, but the Browns did say they would have a zero tolerance with Hunt so...we'll see what happens.

Don't worry, he will be fine unless he lies to the team.  That's totally why the Chiefs cut him :)

Last edited by a moderator:
cobalt_27 said:
Chubb's ADP should have never had anything to do with Hunt in the first place.
It certainly should.  With a backup as good as Hunt, they can afford to rest Chubb for longer periods of time as the season nears playoff time.  The worse the backup, the more you need to rely on your starter.

It certainly should.  With a backup as good as Hunt, they can afford to rest Chubb for longer periods of time as the season nears playoff time.  The worse the backup, the more you need to rely on your starter.
That’s an interesting theory that I imagine has minimal empirical, historical support.

If Browns are strolling into the playoffs, Chubb will get some rest the final game, regardless of whether it’s me or Hunt at backup.

In the more likely scenario where the Browns are fighting for a playoff spot or higher seed, the best players will see the field as usual.

That’s an interesting theory that I imagine has minimal empirical, historical support.

If Browns are strolling into the playoffs, Chubb will get some rest the final game, regardless of whether it’s me or Hunt at backup.

In the more likely scenario where the Browns are fighting for a playoff spot or higher seed, the best players will see the field as usual.
Well, since numbers don't tell the whole story, and there is no definitive way to say how good a player is, there can be no historical support to back it up.  That's why I can't prove Barry Sanders is the GOAT, but you can't prove he isn't.  But as a theory, let's try to see if the quality of a backup RB factors into rest time for the starter.

Scenario - Team A has these 4 RB's on their roster - Saquon, Zeke, CMC, and Alvin.  Team B has these 4 - DJ, Barber, Riddick, and Hyde.  Which RB of these 8 do you think would end up with the most touches?  

Users who are viewing this thread