What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (4 Viewers)

It would be truly hilarious if KC traded for him after they cut him. With mahomes hurt, and no true good running back, it makes sense but I highly doubt it would ever happen. 
It won't happen, but it would be amazing for his fantasy value.

What other teams could use him?  Bucs?  Skins?  Falcons?

While I agree Chubb has done enough to retain his spot, I can't see how a guy with Hunt's talent and abilities is not used. 
I agree. Why would you not keep some miles off of Chubb when you have a second back as able as Hunt?

I’m a Chubb owner and hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see any way this doesn’t hurt him some. He’s going to lose touches and touches equal points. He’ll still be a very valuable fantasy asset, but his production and value will take a hit. 

Hunt can’t get traded, his suspension isn’t over before the trade deadline.
Why does that mean he can’t get traded?

Cleveland explored trading Gordon while he was suspended; and the NFL and NFLPA agreed that if a player was traded while suspended; his suspension could be reduced. The reasons for the reduction aren’t relevant to Hunt, but the fact that the NFL agreed says that Hunt can be traded while suspended.

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't happen, but it would be amazing for his fantasy value.

What other teams could use him?  Bucs?  Skins?  Falcons?
Chiefs are the only team among the top contenders with the apparent need. 

But if cheap enough, he could make sense in Carolina if they wanted to give McCaffrey some rest. Dude has had a crazy workload. 

To clarify, I think it's more likely Hunt just stays put. 

As a Browns fan I think Chubb and Hunt should get 45 touches, but Kitchens has shown to be a moron so far.
He went from two TE coaching gigs to a RB gig in Cleveland and turned that into an OC job and then to a HCing position in double-quick time.

He is one of two HCs who can utilize two-RBs, the other is Kyle Shanahan.

For Hunt or Chubb owners thinking that Hunt gets traded or Chubb gets sat, nah.  Chubb will be the #1 RB but Hunt will be used a lot in the passing game and we will see Two-RB sets.  The team went into this season without a true in-line blocking TE or HB/FB.  They have a plan to use two RBs.

It will disappoint fantasy owners who want one strong RB instead of a two-pronged attack but it will be fun to see from an NFL perspective.  

No team in the league will have Cleveland's one-two punch at RB but it won't be a Mack/Byner or Franco/Blyer type of situation.  I don't know exactly how it will play out but no team has had two young RBs in their prime with this much talent.  Kitchens will use them both at the same time.

i feel like the running game is key to helping Baker. as many high quality touches as possible to either or both protects Baker from making too many mistakes in the passing game. Chubb and Hunt are a couple of thoroughbreds to lean on.

He went from two TE coaching gigs to a RB gig in Cleveland and turned that into an OC job and then to a HCing position in double-quick time.

He is one of two HCs who can utilize two-RBs, the other is Kyle Shanahan.

For Hunt or Chubb owners thinking that Hunt gets traded or Chubb gets sat, nah.  Chubb will be the #1 RB but Hunt will be used a lot in the passing game and we will see Two-RB sets.  The team went into this season without a true in-line blocking TE or HB/FB.  They have a plan to use two RBs.

It will disappoint fantasy owners who want one strong RB instead of a two-pronged attack but it will be fun to see from an NFL perspective.  

No team in the league will have Cleveland's one-two punch at RB but it won't be a Mack/Byner or Franco/Blyer type of situation.  I don't know exactly how it will play out but no team has had two young RBs in their prime with this much talent.  Kitchens will use them both at the same time.
Are either of them good blockers though?  I honestly don't know.  If they can't block then they won't be doing a whole lot of 2 RB sets imo.

I agree. Why would you not keep some miles off of Chubb when you have a second back as able as Hunt?

I’m a Chubb owner and hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see any way this doesn’t hurt him some. He’s going to lose touches and touches equal points. He’ll still be a very valuable fantasy asset, but his production and value will take a hit. 
I expect some sort of load management with Buffalo and Pittsburgh just 4 days apart. My guess would be ease Hunt into action against Buffalo then if he checks out okay Monday use him more heavily on short rest against the Steelers and give Chubb more reps off. After that though? Miami, Cincinnati, and Arizona 3 of the next 4 weeks. Chubb may see 17-20 touches instead of 23.5, but he should still be a great start. 

If the Chubb owner in your league is worried about Hunt then go buy him. You just need to navigate the Steelers games.

Are either of them good blockers though?  I honestly don't know.  If they can't block then they won't be doing a whole lot of 2 RB sets imo.
This block by Chiefs RB Kareem Hunt is insane

...One overlooked part of his game that’ll help him reach new heights is his pass blocking. That’s an important aspect for RBs, and Hunt didn’t disappoint in that phase.
It actually is a very-impressive block that takes out two pass rushers.

He is obviously better than COP 3rd down RB  Dontrell Hilliard in every phase of his game but he is also better than Chubb both as a receiver and in pass-pro.  Kareem was running WR routes with effectiveness in KC and, even though he shouldn't be pigeon holed into a lead blocking role for Chubb he is solid in pass protection.  

They 'might' be used as lead blockers for each other on 'occasion' but FBs get injured at a higher rate than most positions taking on 300+ lb O-Linemen so you'd want to limit that sort of useage IMHO. 

The Browns are 13th in the league in Rushing Yards per Game, but second in Yards Per Carry.  The large majority of those carries are by Nick Chubb.  Using Chubb less is a really bad idea.  If anything, Hunt gives them a second option to run the ball more frequently than they have so far.  They are averaging about 22 carries per game.  No reason that number can't go to ~30 per game with the new carries plus the scraps of Hilliard and Johnson going to Hunt.

I can't read minds, I can't predict game script.

They have two really quality backs in Cleveland and whoever said to get them more touches and take pressure off of a shell-shocked Mayfield wasn't kidding. 

I expect some sort of load management with Buffalo and Pittsburgh just 4 days apart. My guess would be ease Hunt into action against Buffalo then if he checks out okay Monday use him more heavily on short rest against the Steelers and give Chubb more reps off. After that though? Miami, Cincinnati, and Arizona 3 of the next 4 weeks. Chubb may see 17-20 touches instead of 23.5, but he should still be a great start. 

If the Chubb owner in your league is worried about Hunt then go buy him. You just need to navigate the Steelers games.
I hadn’t noticed how light the rest of their schedule is. That will help. But the 3.5 - 6.5 touch dip you suggest, which I think is reasonable, equates to about that many fantasy points. That’s the difference between his current rank of RB4 and RB8 to RB14, between a high end RB1 and a low end RB1. That’s a material difference.

I hadn’t noticed how light the rest of their schedule is. That will help. But the 3.5 - 6.5 touch dip you suggest, which I think is reasonable, equates to about that many fantasy points. That’s the difference between his current rank of RB4 and RB8 to RB14, between a high end RB1 and a low end RB1. That’s a material difference.
Key word, 'may.' Everyone is susceptible to a workload in that range. The thing with Chubb right now is that low end is barely in his current range. The Browns got blown off the field by the 49ers and Chubb still touched the ball on 17 of 46 snaps. They've been in the 69-73 snap range in all other games. Ideal scenarios certainly don't always happen, but I'd expect the Browns want Chubb to touch the ball 20+ times and Hunt 10+ times. And the ideal scenario is much more likely in those soft matchups.

Key word, 'may.' Everyone is susceptible to a workload in that range. The thing with Chubb right now is that low end is barely in his current range. The Browns got blown off the field by the 49ers and Chubb still touched the ball on 17 of 46 snaps. They've been in the 69-73 snap range in all other games. Ideal scenarios certainly don't always happen, but I'd expect the Browns want Chubb to touch the ball 20+ times and Hunt 10+ times. And the ideal scenario is much more likely in those soft matchups.
Perhaps the weak schedule will make up for the touches that will go to Hunt - and I agree that a 20+\10+ split would be close to ideal - but  Hunt will be getting touches that would otherwise go to Chubb. Here’s hoping Baker can keep the offense on the field and the Browns in the lead.

I'm a Chubb owner who stands at 6-1, and appear to be in the drivers seat to make the playoffs. The Hunt owner is 1-6. What do you think is a fair offer to get him from this guy as a handcuff/insurance? I have on my bench guys like Jordan Howard, Royce Freeman and Damien Williams. Howard has served a purpose in the flex a few times for me, but beyond Chubb I only have Derrick Henry worth mentioning. I wouldn't say I have quality depth right now, but when someone is 1-6, beggers can't be choosers.

I'm a Chubb owner who stands at 6-1, and appear to be in the drivers seat to make the playoffs. The Hunt owner is 1-6. What do you think is a fair offer to get him from this guy as a handcuff/insurance? I have on my bench guys like Jordan Howard, Royce Freeman and Damien Williams. Howard has served a purpose in the flex a few times for me, but beyond Chubb I only have Derrick Henry worth mentioning. I wouldn't say I have quality depth right now, but when someone is 1-6, beggers can't be choosers.
You are approaching him.  He doesn't appear to be begging.  

If I'm the Hunt owner and you offered me Jordan Howard (next 4 weeks - @ BUF, v. CHI, BYE, v. NE), Royce Freeman (woeful offense, 63 yards highest rushing output, 1 TD all season, still has a bye coming up), or Damien Williams (70 rushing yards all season, just lost his QB, bye still coming) as a potential solution I'd click decline and not comment.

I get trying to acquire Hunt from an owner in need of wins, but you need to offer options that may actually help lead him to wins. Unless the Hunt owner is a fish. But if that's the case you don't need strategy advice when trying to negotiate with a fish. 

Why does that mean he can’t get traded?

Cleveland explored trading Gordon while he was suspended; and the NFL and NFLPA agreed that if a player was traded while suspended; his suspension could be reduced. The reasons for the reduction aren’t relevant to Hunt, but the fact that the NFL agreed says that Hunt can be traded while suspended.
Gordon and Hunt were under 2 different types of suspensions.  I'm sorry but Hunt isn't eligible to be traded.  Domestic violence suspensions and marijuana suspensions have different rules.  Not sure if this is why Kareem Hunt is ineligible or not.

The window's probably passed, and like others have mentioned I wouldn't even use the guys you mentioned as a foundation for trade talks.

I'm a Chubb owner and picked up Hunt early in the season.  If you're looking for Hunt now, your best bet is to wait for him to play and hope he puts up a stinker.  That other owner picked Hunt up for a reason, and the longer he's held him the more he believes in that reason.  A poor performance might deflate his appeal.

Of course this comes with the obvious caveat that if you're deep at another position that the other owner is weak in I'd go more in that direction.

Gordon and Hunt were under 2 different types of suspensions.  I'm sorry but Hunt isn't eligible to be traded.  Domestic violence suspensions and marijuana suspensions have different rules.  Not sure if this is why Kareem Hunt is ineligible or not.
Can you provide a link to a report saying Hunt can’t be traded?  Because other than from you, in this tread, I haven’t aren’t hat anywhere.

Can you provide a link to a report saying Hunt can’t be traded?  Because other than from you, in this tread, I haven’t aren’t hat anywhere.
I haven't found anything either way, actually. You'd figure somebody would have said something about a trade somewhere. But not really at first blush. 

To be honest I can't find the NFL official language.  I've read numerous times that a suspended player cannot be traded until he is "reinstated".  Due to Kareem Hunt's suspension length,  his reinstatement is after the trade deadline.  I did find a link regarding Vincent Jackson being traded while he was suspended.  The NFL and the NFL Players Association came to an agreement in this case.   If the NFL were to reinstate Kareem Hunt before the trade deadline, then he can be traded.

Vincent Jackson Suspension Reduced IF

I don't buy this at all without a source.

Kevrunner said:
To be honest I can't find the NFL official language.  I've read numerous times that a suspended player cannot be traded until he is "reinstated".  Due to Kareem Hunt's suspension length,  his reinstatement is after the trade deadline.  I did find a link regarding Vincent Jackson being traded while he was suspended.  The NFL and the NFL Players Association came to an agreement in this case.   If the NFL were to reinstate Kareem Hunt before the trade deadline, then he can be traded.

Vincent Jackson Suspension Reduced IF
That’s the thing; you can’t find the language, but you’ve read it numerous times?  I can’t find the language either & I haven’t read it anywhere. I have read, in multiple places, of the NFL allowing a suspended player to be traded (VJax) & of an NFL team trying to trade a suspended player (Gordon).

So, no offense intended, but based on what we know, I’m inclined to believe what the NFL, NFLPA, NFL teams, and what we can actually find in writing tell us (that he could be traded) over your assertion that he can’t be traded (which you remember reading, but can’t find the language).

He’s probably thinking of the Commissioner’s Exempt list, from which I don’t believe players can be traded.

Hunt was activated from that, his suspension is the penalty imposed at the end of his time on that list.

Since there is no official language found regarding the trading of a suspended player, I guess I am wrong, sorry 😐

Now having said that,   I can’t find any  reported interest/rumor/speculation of any of the other 31 NFL teams trying to a move for Hunt before the deadline.  Maybe it’s because Hunt still can’t play till week 10, but for the sake of argument, if he was traded back to the Chiefs or any other team that has a  bye week after week 9, wouldn’t he be eligible to play Week 9? 

Why would a team unwilling to sign Hunt in the offseason trade for him today? From a PR perspective it makes sense to wait and sign him in FA. 

Since there is no official language found regarding the trading of a suspended player, I guess I am wrong, sorry 😐

Now having said that,   I can’t find any  reported interest/rumor/speculation of any of the other 31 NFL teams trying to a move for Hunt before the deadline.  Maybe it’s because Hunt still can’t play till week 10, but for the sake of argument, if he was traded back to the Chiefs or any other team that has a  bye week after week 9, wouldn’t he be eligible to play Week 9? 
Heh. Good question. I'd imagine that your service time accrues in games not played with your current team. Seems the only, ahem, Bayhawks, equitable way to do it. 

Why would a team unwilling to sign Hunt in the offseason trade for him today? From a PR perspective it makes sense to wait and sign him in FA. 
Control over his service next year.  From what I remember (I'll see if I can find a link), Hunt will become a RFA, not a UFA in the offseason.  They would have the option of deciding if they wanted to match any offer he received.  If he is the same RB (and why wouldn't he be), a team could acquire a good RB, at a good price, for next year.

Plus, the PR outrage about Kareem Hunt has passed like all media whirling dervishes do without any new fanning of flames. His was a terrible moment on film, but one that wasn't life-altering but for him, really. 

Control over his service next year.  From what I remember (I'll see if I can find a link), Hunt will become a RFA, not a UFA in the offseason.  They would have the option of deciding if they wanted to match any offer he received.  If he is the same RB (and why wouldn't he be), a team could acquire a good RB, at a good price, for next year.
I guess my question is - why now? The RFA benefits were in play when Cleveland signed him and other teams passed on him. What’s changed?

Plus, the PR outrage about Kareem Hunt has passed like all media whirling dervishes do without any new fanning of flames. His was a terrible moment on film, but one that wasn't life-altering but for him, really. 
You could be right about the biggest wave of outrage having come and gone, but there will be another one if he’s traded. Any team that trades for him now looks a bit hypocritical (not quite the word I’m looking for). They took a stand by letting him clear waivers and not signing him afterwards, but now that they need a RB that goes out the window. 

You could be right, and as an owner of both Hunt and Chubb, I certainly hope you are. But I think most teams will have the same PR fears that led them to pass on him in the first place. The redemption, second chance, debt paid narrative will be more convincing in the offseason. 

I guess my question is - why now? The RFA benefits were in play when Cleveland signed him and other teams passed on him. What’s changed?
In Houston, they lost L Miller.  In Washington they lost Guice (again).  In Detroit they lost Kerryon (again).  In KC they don't want to give up tough games to GB or Minn the next two weeks possibly without Mahomes (though without a reduction in the suspension, he wouldn't be able to play for them those weeks anyway).  Chicago is still in the fight, but neither RB can get things going.  Heck, if DJ's injury is bad they could be buyers which few saw as a possibility with a rookie QB. 

It's a bit like money laundering - placement, layering and integration. The timing of the steps isn't unimportant but trading for Hunt now isn't likely as incendiary as signing him in the off season would have been.

In Houston, they lost L Miller.  In Washington they lost Guice (again).  In Detroit they lost Kerryon (again).  In KC they don't want to give up tough games to GB or Minn the next two weeks possibly without Mahomes (though without a reduction in the suspension, he wouldn't be able to play for them those weeks anyway).  Chicago is still in the fight, but neither RB can get things going.  Heck, if DJ's injury is bad they could be buyers which few saw as a possibility with a rookie QB. 
There have been a lot of changes football wise - and maybe that’s enough for teams to make the move. I hope so, but am cynical (or not cynical enough?).

Okay, so what is Hunt fantasy trade value now that he is close to return?  His situation is murky in touches and the overall offense due to Mayfield's struggles but Chubb's doing well with the rock....  CBS ROS rank has Hunt around Chris Thompson, Carlos Hyde & Duke Johnson value.  I don't know how much value I put into that, but it's a starting point. 

What is the board's consensus on his value?   I think like a 2nd Round pick next year or maybe a player like Golden Tate / Robby Anderson value?  

Okay, so what is Hunt fantasy trade value now that he is close to return?  His situation is murky in touches and the overall offense due to Mayfield's struggles but Chubb's doing well with the rock....  CBS ROS rank has Hunt around Chris Thompson, Carlos Hyde & Duke Johnson value.  I don't know how much value I put into that, but it's a starting point. 

What is the board's consensus on his value?   I think like a 2nd Round pick next year or maybe a player like Golden Tate / Robby Anderson value?  
I think his value is a wide range depending on dynasty or redraft.  In redraft I would think he is a high upside handcuff with possible flex standalone value with an uptick for PPR leagues. 

In dynasty I would say late 1st to early 2nd round pick value.  He is young and talented and will likely get a shot as a starter next year somewhere.  I think it's worth a gamble to give up that level of pick for him. 

I doubt either of those get it done for Hunt.

Probably a classic case of a hold where sellers want a 1st and buyers only want to spend a 2nd.  I don't see how Tate/Robby would be interesting to anyone that has held this long, right before his suspension ends.

I've had him tying up a bench spot since the draft.  I wouldn't accept either of them in a trade.  Not sure what it would take honestly.  I'm sure I'm not alone in the fact that I've been hanging onto him for the potential boost he could give my team toward the end of the season/playoff time.  Especially if he can carve out real role.  That potential might not be realistic, but in my mind, its so realistic.  Hard to convince me to give up on that.  Definition of overvalued, admittedly.  

I think his value is a wide range depending on dynasty or redraft.  In redraft I would think he is a high upside handcuff with possible flex standalone value with an uptick for PPR leagues. 

In dynasty I would say late 1st to early 2nd round pick value.  He is young and talented and will likely get a shot as a starter next year somewhere.  I think it's worth a gamble to give up that level of pick for him. 
Agreed...  it's so wide it is difficult to gauge what to offer...   My offered Mid-2nd & CAR TE Greg Olsen (he is TE needy - Walker) was rejected & no counter.  

I doubt either of those get it done for Hunt.

Probably a classic case of a hold where sellers want a 1st and buyers only want to spend a 2nd.  I don't see how Tate/Robby would be interesting to anyone that has held this long, right before his suspension ends.
I admit I was testing the waters with my offer.... I have tried for a few weeks to get him.  Each time he wants Chubb in return, so maybe he is just untouchable right now. 

I've had him tying up a bench spot since the draft.  I wouldn't accept either of them in a trade.  Not sure what it would take honestly.  I'm sure I'm not alone in the fact that I've been hanging onto him for the potential boost he could give my team toward the end of the season/playoff time.  Especially if he can carve out real role.  That potential might not be realistic, but in my mind, its so realistic.  Hard to convince me to give up on that.  Definition of overvalued, admittedly.  
If he carves out the role in Clev, he will have good value... agreed.  If he gets little opportunity, will he be a "Sell" or still a hold until he future is revealed for next season?  

If he ends up in Hou, his value will really climb! 

The last counter Oct 2 was Hunt, Cohen & Chark for Chubb.  That is not the kind of price I am willing to pay, but I guess this is the "Sellers" Market since he owns him! 

Thanks for all the feedback! 

Agreed...  it's so wide it is difficult to gauge what to offer...   My offered Mid-2nd & CAR TE Greg Olsen (he is TE needy - Walker) was rejected & no counter.  

I admit I was testing the waters with my offer.... I have tried for a few weeks to get him.  Each time he wants Chubb in return, so maybe he is just untouchable right now. 

If he carves out the role in Clev, he will have good value... agreed.  If he gets little opportunity, will he be a "Sell" or still a hold until he future is revealed for next season?  

If he ends up in Hou, his value will really climb! 

The last counter Oct 2 was Hunt, Cohen & Chark for Chubb.  That is not the kind of price I am willing to pay, but I guess this is the "Sellers" Market since he owns him! 

Thanks for all the feedback! 
Why on earth, one supposes, does he think you want to part with Chubb? This sounds like an irrational actor model. Or he doesn't want to trade and doesn't like you or something. Or a whole host of good faith things that I can't really think of.

I'm surprised at some of the names being floated in trade offers for Hunt. Guess I forgot just how good he was.

Assume Hunt supporters would take him everyday over someone like McKissic in a .5 PPR redraft?

I'm surprised at some of the names being floated in trade offers for Hunt. Guess I forgot just how good he was.

Assume Hunt supporters would take him everyday over someone like McKissic in a .5 PPR redraft?
Yes, easily over McKissic.  I don't even see how someone would think that is a good offer.  Hunt produced well in a high powered offense.  McKissic has opportunity now, but has never produced.  

I traded for hunt before the season with the thought that next year and going forward I'd have a rb1 I bought on the cheap.  That hasn't changed because he's been on my bench all season or because he won't be gifted the starting role.  The only way I'm making a trade for him is if you're paying me near what he cost before he got suspended in the first place.

I think most of those are probably dynasty.  His value is obviously very different in redraft with most of his potential opportunity likely coming beyond this year.

FreeBaGeL said:
I think most of those are probably dynasty.  His value is obviously very different in redraft with most of his potential opportunity likely coming beyond this year.
Thread title indeed says "Dynasty" right in it, though we usually couple them together. But this is pretty distinct. Must have been an in-season one for him with the Chiefs. 

Users who are viewing this thread