Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

RB Alvin Kamara, NO


Faust

Recommended Posts

Just now, shadyridr said:

I think its closer to a formality that he returns than it is a big assumption. He said he wants to go on a year to year basis. Hes 38 and still has years left of being productive unlike Peyton.

I think it's more likely than not myself - but the business behind it will be interesting.  I can't see them franchising him, at the price that will be.  If he wants to give a bit of a home town discount given the team they have around him, could be really, really dangerous.  He needs a good 2nd receiving option and that offense would be crazy good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

Will be pretty amazing when two RBs from the same team go in the 1st round in next year's drafts.

First two rounds of next year's drafts are gonna be loaded. Large number of RBs likely going in the first (agree Ingram and Kamara are both deserving) which will push a lot of stud WRs to the second. Gonna be tough to not walk away from most drafts with two damn good players more often than not.

Oh and as far as Kamara goes :wub:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, matttyl said:

Really.  He wins the big one, would be a perfect time to step away from the game (ala Peyton).  I personally think he returns, but the contract details will be interesting.  Do they give him more than 2 years on a new deal?

You are making a much bigger assumption that he wins the big one this year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, matttyl said:

I think it's more likely than not myself - but the business behind it will be interesting.  I can't see them franchising him, at the price that will be.  If he wants to give a bit of a home town discount given the team they have around him, could be really, really dangerous.  He needs a good 2nd receiving option and that offense would be crazy good.

They can't franchise him, it's a provision of his contract.  If he wants to go elsewhere there won't be anything they can do about it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was concerned about Brees leaving in the offseason, but I can't see it happening now that they are winning and have a defense. Even if they win it, Brees' comments just before the season didn't sound like someone who wants to retire after this season.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

They can't franchise him, it's a provision of his contract.  If he wants to go elsewhere there won't be anything they can do about it.

Thanks, I didn't know that.  I thought I heard somewhere that they can keep him at around $30m or so next year (some ridiculous amount).  I just assumed it was the franchise tag provision of being 110% of the year prior. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, matttyl said:

Thanks, I didn't know that.  I thought I heard somewhere that they can keep him at around $30m or so next year (some ridiculous amount).  I just assumed it was the franchise tag provision of being 110% of the year prior. 

I see plenty of "media" that don't know that either.  Although maybe they are saying at $30M there would be no team willing to pay that or much more, so why leave?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

I see plenty of "media" that don't know that either.  Although maybe they are saying at $30M there would be no team willing to pay that or much more, so why leave?

The Saints will have $18m of dead money on the books if he goes - but can alter that amount under a new couple year deal.  If they're in win now mode, I have to think that's their plan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, matttyl said:

The Saints will have $18m of dead money on the books if he goes - but can alter that amount under a new couple year deal.  If they're in win now mode, I have to think that's their plan. 

Yeah, but all they are doing is kicking the can down the road.  That $18M has to eventually get paid.  And it's not like Brees is taking sweetheart deals at $14M a year so that they can dump $6M per year of the dead money to get caught up.   Their best method would be to let the cap keep rising and "spending neutral" to that while dumping the dead money.  That's most easily done with good draft picks.  Dallas completely lucked out with Dak and EZE, they are paying those guys peanuts but getting premium performance out of them, so once it came time to pay the dead money bill, they were still "only" spending $20M at QB so didn't have to make deep cuts elsewhere.  That's what the Saints are hoping for and getting some good results with - Michael Thomas, Kamara, and Lattimore are big starts to that along with Ingram's bargain contract.  Premium production at bargain prices. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

Yeah, but all they are doing is kicking the can down the road.  That $18M has to eventually get paid.  And it's not like Brees is taking sweetheart deals at $14M a year so that they can dump $6M per year of the dead money to get caught up.   Their best method would be to let the cap keep rising and "spending neutral" to that while dumping the dead money.  That's most easily done with good draft picks.  Dallas completely lucked out with Dak and EZE, they are paying those guys peanuts but getting premium performance out of them, so once it came time to pay the dead money bill, they were still "only" spending $20M at QB so didn't have to make deep cuts elsewhere.  That's what the Saints are hoping for and getting some good results with - Michael Thomas, Kamara, and Lattimore are big starts to that along with Ingram's bargain contract.  Premium production at bargain prices. 

So, after this year, how many more years do you see Brees in the Big Easy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, matttyl said:

So, after this year, how many more years do you see Brees in the Big Easy?

No way to tell.  It's all about what Brees wants at this point because he has all the leverage.  I'm sure he'll get the "no franchise tag" provision in every contract now, so it's all about how fun it is winning and healthy for him.  If they were 3-7 I'd say he's a risk to go elsewhere but with their record he's probably pretty content there.  They will pay him whatever he decides to ask for, that's clear now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2017 at 9:00 AM, matttyl said:

I think it's more likely than not myself - but the business behind it will be interesting.  I can't see them franchising him, at the price that will be.  If he wants to give a bit of a home town discount given the team they have around him, could be really, really dangerous.  He needs a good 2nd receiving option and that offense would be crazy good.

It's crazy that the Saints haven't been spending the last 3 years developing a solid young backup QB.

Brees has earned $181 million over the course of his career.  I love the Saints and Drew is awesome...but I wouldn't judge the guy at all if he wanted to spend the rest of his life taking vacations.  Of course I'd love for the guy to keep slinging it until he has to be removed from the building by security.

Any chance the Saints skirt around the salary cap with a $20 million offer and "donating" an extra $10 million or so to the Brees foundation as part of the next round of contract talks?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Statorama said:

It's crazy that the Saints haven't been spending the last 3 years developing a solid young backup QB.

Brees has earned $181 million over the course of his career.  I love the Saints and Drew is awesome...but I wouldn't judge the guy at all if he wanted to spend the rest of his life taking vacations.  Of course I'd love for the guy to keep slinging it until he has to be removed from the building by security.

Any chance the Saints skirt around the salary cap with a $20 million offer and "donating" an extra $10 million or so to the Brees foundation as part of the next round of contract talks?

Would the players union allow that?  Don't they typically frown on hometown discounts, as they lower the market?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, matttyl said:

Would the players union allow that?  Don't they typically frown on hometown discounts, as they lower the market?

It's definitely not allowed to pay them outside the salary cap, donation or otherwise. But taking a hometown discount isn't unheard of. Brady did to an extent, so the Pats could build around him. He should be the highest paid QB in the league, but he doesn't need the money and cares more about winning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PIK95 said:

Not watching. Why did it take so long for him to get a carry?

LAR's first drive took a lot of time off of the clock. NO aired it out on their first drive, didn't run once. Then LAR drove down the field and kicked a FG. By the time any RB on NO touched the ball there was roughly 3 minutes left in the 1st.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TartanLion said:

It literally looks like he isn't even trying that hard. Like he does everything within himself in 2nd gear and still makes people look absolutely stupid 

Does look a bit effortless at times- he never looks like he is running at full speed. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Faust changed the title to RB Alvin Kamara, NO

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...