Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

RB Alvin Kamara, NO

Faust

Alvin Kamara (ankle) remained sidelined on Thursday.

It would appear Kamara has a high-ankle sprain. Barring a surprise Friday return, he is going to miss Sunday's road trip to Chicago, and should be considered questionable at best to return in Week 8. Latavius Murray becomes a plug-and-play RB2 in Kamara's absence. The Bears are a foreboding matchup, but this weekend will be their first game without run-stuffer extraordinaire Akiem Hicks.

RELATED: 

Latavius Murray

Oct 17, 2019, 5:20 PM ET

• Like 1

I am getting the sense that this could very well be a good game to keep Kamara out even though he feels he's got a shot to play? Murray looks frisky and could actually give the team a boost since Kamara's cutting ability is hindered. And it's Da Bears. What do I know? Then there is juicy ARI next week, then the bye. Then Brees comes back and the Saints roll or march on lol.

I mean injuries galore and how it affects many teams. One of my teams now includes Dissly last week, Mahomes last night, and now Kamara looks very iffy. Had to pick up Stafford and dropped Cook, TE OAK because he may not play and I've used my 5 adds already. Last week I had Murray as a Kamara back up, but when Dissly went down I sent Murray packing. Now Murray is poised for a start perhaps. Tough to win. The landscape is very fluid. I'm not sure any team gets by unscathed? I mean all KC chiefs, except for perhaps Butker is a downgrade for now, just like the Saints without Brees.

Edited by Team Smokin'

The tough part is that the Saints are (surprisingly since Brees is down) still in the hunt for top seed in the NFC.  It will be perfect football weather in Chicago this weekend (60's and sunny) so Coach P might leave it up to AK...but all logic points to giving Murray the rock this week and seeing where AK is next week.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Statorama said:

The tough part is that the Saints are (surprisingly since Brees is down) still in the hunt for top seed in the NFC.  It will be perfect football weather in Chicago this weekend (60's and sunny) so Coach P might leave it up to AK...but all logic points to giving Murray the rock this week and seeing where AK is next week.

Yes, Saints are currently nfc favorites to go to the super bowl. They will want to save AK for the long haul.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Alvin Kamara (ankle/knee) has not been ruled out for Week 8 against the Cardinals.

New Orleans decided to sit Kamara down after seeing him labor through a high-ankle injury in last week's win at Jacksonville, though he's reportedly made progress and could return to lead the Saints' backfield as soon as Week 8. The Saints have a bye in Week 9, which could influence their thinking in relation to both Kamara and Drew Brees, who has reportedly made headway in his recovery from thumb surgery. With Kamara shelved, Latavius Murray will function as the Saints' workhorse Sunday in Chicago.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 20, 2019, 9:34 AM ET

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

saints just released zenner.... i assumed they wouldnt bother playing kamara against the crummy cardinals give him 2 weeks to heal up and return week 10.... but is zenner's release a good sign for kamara availability on sunday?

I don’t like this... as both a Kamara and Murray owner, I was hoping they would give Kamara extended rest and let Murray smash this week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tricky92 said:

I don’t like this... as both a Kamara and Murray owner, I was hoping they would give Kamara extended rest and let Murray smash this week. 

To be honest, Murray looked better Sunday than Kamara has in weeks. LLet Kamara fully heal up, and then come out of the bye week Brees, Kamara, and Cook back.

• Like 1

Alvin Kamara (ankle) was officially "limited" in Thursday's practice.

By most accounts, Kamara wasn't doing much in the portion of Saints practice open to the media, but the fact that it was enough to earn a participation report at all is a good sign. With the Saints' bye on tap for Week 9, the team will be extremely cautious with its bell-cow back. Latavius Murray proved more than capable of holding down the fort in Week 7. There is a legitimate chance Kamara plays, but we would consider him on the wrong side of questionable for the time being.

Oct 24, 2019, 5:16 PM ET

Alvin Kamara (ankle) is questionable for the Saints' Week 8 matchup against the Cardinals.

Kamara is shaping up as a true game-time decision. It'd hardly be surprising if the Saints decide to hold both Kamara and Drew Brees (thumb, questionable) out against the Cardinals with a Week 9 bye on the horizon. Murray can be fired up as a rock-solid RB1 if Kamara is again sidelined. He racked up 27 carries and six targets on an elite 83% snap rate last week, demonstrating some tackle-breaking goodness against the Bears' fearsome front seven along the way. The pass-game work in particular was encouraging, as last Sunday marked just the ninth time in 84 career games that Murray caught at least five passes.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter.

Oct 25, 2019, 4:56 PM ET

16 minutes ago, FGITLOTR said:

Heard two local sports radio guys say their sources told them he sits tomorrow. I hope they are right, but AK is going to lobby hard to play 

I hope the same as you. Yeah, if it were the Super Bowl he could gut it out. But a high ankle sprain for a running back s no joke. Kamara needs the time off.

25 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I hope the same as you. Yeah, if it were the Super Bowl he could gut it out. But a high ankle sprain for a running back s no joke. Kamara needs the time off.

I would hope last week's success with Murray makes them see this. 

Another thing would be how their head coach plays these things.  He's not giving the opposition any kind of clue on anything before he has to.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27928240/sean-payton-wait-sunday-name-saints-starting-quarterback

41 minutes ago, Doug B said:

With the bye coming next week, its almost coaching malpractice to rush a player back with a leg injury when they have a backup worthy and a bye week to follow for extra week of recovery. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

With the bye coming next week, its almost coaching malpractice to rush a player back with a leg injury when they have a backup worthy and a bye week to follow for extra week of recovery. 

I have no inside info, but I could certainly see a fantasy unfriendly scenario, where Kamara starts, but is used more as a 3rd down back than normal. 

There have been people saying why bother, its just the Cardinals, and I think that thought has never entered Payton's head. To him, they are fighting for home field advantage, and are playing a team that has a 3 game winning streak. 

If Kamara is even 75% healthy, I'd bet he plays, even if its a more limited role. That is Payton's history. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Alvin Kamara (ankle) was upgraded to "full" in Thursday's practice.

Coach Sean Payton had already said that Kamara would return following his two-game absence, and this further confirms it. Latavius Murray ran white hot during Kamara's time on the sideline, perhaps earning a little more standalone work, but Kamara returns as a no-brainer top-five RB1 for a home date with a collapsed Falcons defense.

Nov 7, 2019, 6:07 PM ET

• Thanks 1

Saints RB Alvin Kamara ready to play after 2-game absence

METAIRIE, La. -- Alvin Kamara will be back in the New Orleans Saints' lineup Sunday and said he plans to play like he hasn't "missed a beat."

Kamara, who missed the Saints' past two games before their Week 9 bye because of knee and ankle injuries, said he felt good after returning to full practice participation on Thursday. And coach Sean Payton said, "I fully expect him to be ready to play" at home Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons.

The running back said he feels fresh after three Sundays off but wouldn't call it a benefit because he missed being on the field.

"It's like a downfall, kind of, because I wish I was out there," Kamara said with a smile. "I'm happy to be back, just happy to be back practicing on the field with my teammates, happy to be back kind of like a regular functioning member of this team. Because when you're hurt, you're kind of like on the back burner a little bit. You kind of miss out."

Kamara insisted that there is no jealousy or selfish desire to take his role back from veteran backup Latavius Murray, however.

Murray ran wild in Kamara's absence, with at least 150 yards from scrimmage and two touchdowns in each game.

Kamara said he will be happy to share the workload with Murray going forward -- like he did over the past two years with Mark Ingram.

"It's not like I'm selfish. I don't need the ball every play. He's fully capable, too. So I think we'll get a good balance going, and it will be hard to stop," said Kamara, who said he talked to Murray early this season about how the touches would eventually balance out, even though Kamara was getting a heavy share of the workload at the time.

"And he was like, 'I'm good. I'm not tripping,'" Kamara added. "I think it's an unselfish team. ... So however it shakes out, it shakes out. I'm ready."

During the offseason, Payton said he wanted to keep Kamara's "pitch count" where it was last year. Kamara played 61 percent of the offensive snaps last season in games in which both he and Ingram were in the lineup; Kamara played 75 percent of the Saints' offensive snaps during the first five games of this season.

Payton acknowledged Thursday that he could shift the workload a bit in the wake of Kamara's injuries and Murray's success.

"Week 1 [of] Alvin coming back. We'll be smart," said Payton, who suggested the workload could vary based on the opponent. "And the good news is the way [Murray] played and the way Alvin's played, we feel like we're real good at that position. And they're smart players, they're real good teammates, they're guys that can block, they're guys that can handle the pressures, they can handle the receiving element of it.

"Obviously, they're uniquely different, but we'll sort through that and figure that out. Certainly it was great to see the way Latavius stepped up."

Alvin Kamara rushed four times for 24 yards in the Saints' Week 10 loss to the Falcons, adding eight receptions for 50 additional yards.

Most of Kamara’s receiving work came in the fourth quarter with the Saints surprisingly down multiple scores. The good news was he looked very close to 100%. Latavius Murray was also plenty involved with five carries and two targets, but Kamara out-snapped Murray 52-to-16 thanks to the game flow. Still, both RBs will likely continue to split reps to an extent. Kamara is set up the best next week against the Buccaneers’ tough rush defense.

Edited by The Frankman

Alvin Kamara rushed 13 times for 75 yards, adding a team-high 10 catches for 47 yards in New Orleans' Week 11 win over the Bucs.

Tampa Bay's suffocating run defense was no match for Kamara, who simply slipped tackles at the line of scrimmage to pick up a handful of YAC following every touch. He actually fumbled near the sideline on his first carry but Bucs coach Bruce Arians failed to challenge that play, allowing New Orleans to open the game with a field goal and never look back. His six-yard scamper to the outside in the first quarter also resulted in his only touchdown getting called back due to Tre'Quan Smith's holding penalty on the opposite side of the field. Kamara's countered opposing defenses' best efforts since returning from his ankle injury all the while out-touching teammate Latavius Murray 35 to 19 in New Orleans' last two games. Kamara will remain a matchup-proof RB1 in Week 12 against the Panthers.

Nov 17, 2019, 5:39 PM ET

On 11/24/2019 at 8:23 AM, Team Smokin' said:

It's time, Alvin. You're either going to make or break my season.

It's time. Great match up. Us owners can use one of your 3 TD games.

Thank you!

Can someone explain to me the lack of usage inside the 10? He’s one of the best RBs in the league and there do not seem to be plays in the playbook for him inside the 10. What is up with that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

Can someone explain to me the lack of usage inside the 10? He’s one of the best RBs in the league and there do not seem to be plays in the playbook for him inside the 10. What is up with that?

They're winning. Perhaps Payton is mixing it up having the defense be in a constant state of flux? Keeps em all guessing. My God is this guy DUE!!!

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 8:23 AM, Team Smokin' said:

It's time, Alvin. You're either going to make or break my season.

It's time. Great match up. Us owners can use one of your 3 TD games.

Thank you!

Dude already broke my season. Will go down as one of my worst first round picks. Thank God for those two weeks he was out and Lativus actually performed at an RB1 level.

• Faust changed the title to RB Alvin Kamara, NO