What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D'Onta Foreman, CLE (1 Viewer)

Texans coach Bill O'Brien was entirely noncommittal on Monday when asked if D'Onta Foreman (Achilles/PUP) will play this year.
"He had a good year last year, but that was a long time ago," said O'Brien. "Let's just see where he's at." Should the Texans bring Foreman off PUP, they would then have 21 days to decide whether to activate him to the 53-man roster. Foreman tore his Achilles' last November 19 and will be a full year removed from the injury next Monday. He's not worth stashing beyond Dynasty leagues.
Vote of confidence ?

I'm a Miller owner and I had no motive to pick up Foreman. I saw no signs that he'd even be activated this season, he's still not practicing.

Texans activated RB D'Onta Foreman (Achilles) from the PUP list.

It opens a 21-day window for Foreman's return to the active roster. Foreman is a full year removed from his torn Achilles but coach Bill O'Brien suggested his conditioning is an issue. The Texans will get him some practice reps, but it's going to be a stretch for Foreman to play Sunday. Foreman will regain his role as the No. 2 back over Alfred Blue whenever he's cleared.
Very odd timing... again, not in shape and hasn't practiced at all yet. It feels more like they're seeing if they can rehab him for the stratch run rather than gwetting him ready to play in the next week or two.

edit: Whoops

Texans head coach Bill O'Brien said the second-year running back would practice with the team at the Houston Methodist Training Center, after spending the first two-plus months of the season on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. Foreman injured an Achilles last November in the win over Arizona.

Houston now has a 21-day window in which Foreman will either be added to the 53-man roster, or placed on the Reserve/Injured list for the remainder of the season.

As a rookie in 2017, he picked up 327 yards on the ground, with two touchdowns in 10 games played. He told reporters on Monday that he felt "really good" and was "looking forward to getting back out there".

Although he'll practice Wednesday, Foreman is not expected to join the roster this weekend to play against Washington.
*sigh* Do I pick this guy up now? :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very odd timing... again, not in shape and hasn't practiced at all yet. It feels more like they're seeing if they can rehab him for the stratch run rather than gwetting him ready to play in the next week or two.

edit: Whoops

*sigh* Do I pick this guy up now? :doh:
 I wouldn't bother in redraft anyways, even if he comes back he will either not play much or be stuck in a RBBC. Maybe he gets another chance next year to do something.

Even if he's 80% of what he was, Lamar Miller has taken over the backfield this year. Maybe he could take the Alfred Blue role, but BOB trusts Blue a ton...

So let's be realistic. Do you feel comfortable starting him week 15 or 16 after little to no game action? 
No one should 

And if you're playing in a meaningful game week 15 or 16- do you even need him? (assuming no major injuries occur in the next 2 weeks)
Again, no one should

If we want to talk about 2019, I'd say temper expectations. Houston can save 6 million by cutting Miller after this season. Given how good he has been doing, I think he's well worth the 7 million they would have to pay him. Regardless, I think Houston drafts a RB. Foreman fades into obscurity- I could be wrong in saying that he doesn't ever come back 100%, but chances are greater that I'm not. 

Dr. Dan said:
So let's be realistic. Do you feel comfortable starting himend week 15 or 16 after little to no game action? 
No one should 

And if you're playing in a meaningful game week 15 or 16- do you even need him? (assuming no major injuries occur in the next 2 weeks)
Again, no one should

If we want to talk about 2019, I'd say temper expectations. Houston can save 6 million by cutting Miller after this season. Given how good he has been doing, I think he's well worth the 7 million they would have to pay him. Regardless, I think Houston drafts a RB. Foreman fades into obscurity- I could be wrong in saying that he doesn't ever come back 100%, but chances are greater that I'm not. 
Yeah, I think I agree with you regarding this year for fantasy purposes.   The injury is a shame, because I was very impressed with him last season before that injury.   I remember watching his touchdown run jumping out of my seat, being a Foreman owner, thinking that he would eventually be the primary ball carrier in this offense.   Then I noticed he was hurt on the play and my excitement deflated like a balloon.  Aside from him looking fantastic during the playoffs (if he would even get the opportunity to do so), I don't see the Texans going into next season depending on him for a major role without strong legitimate competition.    I'm not sure what Foreman is now after the injury, but I certainly felt pretty good about his abilities pre-injury from what I saw of him last season and preseason.  

Texans activated RB D'Onta Foreman (Achilles') from the reserve/PUP list.

The Texans had until Wednesday to decide. Coach Bill O'Brien has continually hedged on Foreman's potential 2018 contributions. We wouldn't be surprised if the second-year back ended up spending a week or two as a "healthy scratch." He is not going to provide re-draft fantasy value behind Lamar Miller.

Source: Field Yates on Twitter 

Dec 4 - 5:34 PM

D'Onta Foreman (Achilles) is practicing in full for Week 14.

Foreman was activated from the PUP list Tuesday. He looks on track to play this week after sitting the first 12 games. Foreman's role figures to be limited as a change-up to Lamar Miller.

D'Onta Foreman (Achilles') is active for Week 16 against the Eagles.

With Lamar Miller (ankle) out, Foreman is active for the first time this season. Beat writers still expect Alfred Blue to carry the load in the backfield, which makes sense considering Foreman has been essentially a healthy scratch the last couple weeks, but it is possible Foreman shows the hot hand and takes over. Even so, he is not a safe option in the fantasy finals.

Dec 23 - 11:37 AM

D'Onta Foreman - RB -  Texans

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said D'Onta Foreman remains in the team's plans.

"Obviously a very talented guy, but it took him forever to come back from his injury," O'Brien said. "So, hopefully with a good offseason, here's a guy that can really be an excellent player. I have a lot of belief in his ability. I think he's somebody that can help us." Foreman was active for just two games after coming back from Achilles surgery. He flashed as a rookie before going down and the Texans have got inconsistent production the last three seasons from Lamar Miller. Foreman remains a hold in dynasty leagues.

Source: NFL.com 

Feb 9 - 4:02 PM

Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports that the Texans have been impressed with RB D'Onta Foreman in offseason workouts.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said that Foreman remains in the team's plans, despite a very slow start to his NFL career after tearing his Achilles. After missing the first 14 games, Foreman returned late in 2018, only to carry the ball seven times for negative one yards. However, it was good news that he was able to return in 2018 at all, and it appears that he's taken another step in his rehabilitation. Foreman is still a hold in dynasty, but the success rate for players returning with torn Achilles is low.

SOURCE: Sports Radio 610 on Twitter

Feb 26, 2019, 2:54 PM

D'Onta Foreman said his lost 2018 "lit a fire under me."

Foreman was sidelined most of the season recovering from an Achilles' tear, and he struggled to negative-one yard on seven carries in his limited action. "I feel like people started to count me out and were saying what I couldn't do coming back, but I'm a very strong-minded person," Foreman said. "I'm ready to put it out there on the field and show people I'm still here." According to the Houston Chronicle, Foreman looks "much leaner" this offseason and was "quick and explosive" during an impromptu workout. With Lamar Miller trending the wrong way and in the final year of his career, there is an opportunity for Foreman to establish himself as the lead back in Houston if he is healthy.

SOURCE: Houston Chronicle

Mar 25, 2019, 9:53 AM

So this’ll be year 3 in a row for me taking late round shots on him?  There’s worse options for sure.

How do we feel about him after Houston did nothing to shore up their backfield during the draft?
I mean, I guess its positive news, but its still very likely they add a veteran before camp. This is probably not a bad window to trade him away, but I'm personally sticking with the "no RB has ever come back from an Achilles tear and and had any success" point of view.

Its probably better news for Miller than Foreman. 

I know Fantasy guys hate Miller, but I wouldn't be surprised if Houston extends him pretty soon. Just my total speculation, no inside knowledge.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they move on next year. Losing Alfred Blue and not adding anyone in the draft was somewhat surprising though. Houston's offense was totally built around the run game last year to protect Watson, they are going to need another guy before the season starts.

I know Fantasy guys hate Miller, but I wouldn't be surprised if Houston extends him pretty soon. Just my total speculation, no inside knowledge.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they move on next year. Losing Alfred Blue and not adding anyone in the draft was somewhat surprising though. Houston's offense was totally built around the run game last year to protect Watson, they are going to need another guy before the season starts.
I agree they will likely add another guy, but I would bet that they will give Watson a lot more freedom as a passer. The O-line should be much improved, and Watson isn't spending the offseason rehabbing an ACL tear. I think the sneaky play in redraft is DeAndre Hopkins, as a top-4 overall pick. 

Bill O'Brien sees "good progress" with D'Onta Foreman.

Foreman reported to team workouts in good shape, and O'Brien says Foreman parlayed that into a "good spring." After struggling to return from an Achilles' tear last season, Foreman appears to have turned a corner in his rehab process. If he can continue to churn strong practices, Foreman should push Lamar Miller for reps in 2019.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

May 21, 2019, 1:57 PM ET

D'Onta Foreman (Achilles') said he feels as healthy as he ever has dating back to college and is "coming with something to prove to everybody."

Foreman said he is "starting all over with a chip on my shoulder" after essentially losing his 2018 season recovering from his late-2017 torn Achilles'. Foreman just turned 23 last month, and Houston again did little-to-nothing at running back in the offseason while also letting Alfred Blue walk as a free agent. Lamar Miller is the definition of pedestrian -- solid but not spectacular -- and is someone Foreman can easily push for the 1A job in the Texans' backfield. Foreman has been talked up quite a bit already since the start of spring.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

May 29, 2019, 3:34 PM ET

Texans RBs coach  Danny Barrett said D'Onta Foreman is "light-years ahead of where he was last year."

Last year, Foreman was struggling to recover from an Achilles' tear which ultimately limited him to just one game in 2018. This year, Foreman has earned nothing but praise both for his conditioning -- he is reportedly down to 230 pounds -- and offseason work. If that continues, it is possible he pushes Lamar Miller for the lead job.

Jul 2, 2019, 10:35 AM ET

Coach Bill O'Brien said he has "high expectations" for D'Onta Foreman.

"He's got a chance to be a really good football player," O'Brien continued. "If he's healthy and consistent and putting in the work, I think he's got a chance to be good." And healthy Foreman has been, according to the Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson, who says Foreman has "regained his explosiveness" he lost in 2018 as he was coming off Achilles' surgery. Foreman is reportedly in excellent shape after looking sluggish last year off the injury. Foreman has a chance to push Lamar Miller hard for carries in this backfield.

Jul 27, 2019, 3:06 PM ET

Texans coach Bill O'Brien insists the competition for the team's No. 2 running back spot is "wide open."

O'Brien's comments come three days after he pumped up D'Onta Foreman, who is the clear favorite to serve as Lamar Miller's backup. "You have different types of guys," BOB said. So, you have your first and second guys. You have first- and second-down guys, you have your third-down guys, you have some guys that can do a little bit of everything." Behind Foreman are Josh Ferguson, Taiwan Jones, Buddy Howell, Karan Higdon and Damarea Crockett. Provided he looks healthy as he moves further away from his torn Achilles, Foreman will win the job.

Jul 30, 2019, 3:55 PM ET

Link to your concerns about his work habits?
I think you got to give him this one.  I cannot imagine that they cut a guy that they used a 3rd round pick on 2 years ago who looked really good prior to this injury just due to poor work habits when they dont have a bonafide stud starter on the team.  I feel pretty confident that the achilles had a lot to do with this decision, and I also think Dan has been saying that for a long time.  

Now, what do the Texans do next?  Ajayi, Gordon, Duke are out there saying "pick me!".  I am sure they wont go into the season with Josh Ferguson as their best insurance for Lamar Miller.

I think you got to give him this one.  I cannot imagine that they cut a guy that they used a 3rd round pick on 2 years ago who looked really good prior to this injury just due to poor work habits when they dont have a bonafide stud starter on the team.  I feel pretty confident that the achilles had a lot to do with this decision, and I also think Dan has been saying that for a long time.
Not giving him anything.  It's a bad argument.

If NBA players and NFL WRs can make it back there's no reason NFL RBs can't make it back.

Told you. 

D.O.N.E.
No RB has ever made it back from an Achilles tear. I don't know why anybody got their hopes up. A bad work ethic, which was a knock on him at Texas, only made it even harder.

With the Texans having a ton of cap room, I think they almost certainly be in the market for a RB. Melvin Gordon makes sense(they can invest in a RB with a QB on a rookie deal) Duke Johnson and, LeSean McCoy make sense as cheaper options. Maybe Jay Ajayi, or even Spencer Ware if he gets his injury settlement. 

If NBA players and NFL WRs can make it back there's no reason NFL RBs can't make it back.
Yeah, I can't argue with you on that because I dont know enough about it.  I am sure this has been discussed but what RBs have made a successful recovery from a torn achilles?

A bad argument backed up by medical and historical data that refute your post completely. 

I hate NBA facts

"There are very few complete success stories."

I also hate journals

"The NBA players who returned to play after repair of complete Achilles tendon ruptures showed a significant decrease in playing time and performance. Thirty-nine percent of players never returned to play."

the worst are those reviews. always way too long. 

"These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently."

Lots of comments about the Texans bringing in Melvin Gordon, possibly Duke if on the cheap.  I really liked Foreman but this is not a good look.
Lamar is fine. Unless they're looking to replace him, they can easily land a backup RB if they are unhappy with what they have.

I think some here are missing that their no name backups made Foreman expendable.

I think some here are missing that their no name backups made Foreman expendable.
shhhhh. although I already have my shares as I figured foreman would flop, so may as well advertise. Crockett fumbled at the goalline unfortunately but Higdon has been turning a lot of heads and showing some real good goal line work

I don't know what happened here, but if you scroll up- O'Brien was full of praise on July 27th. The RB coach in Faust's post before that too. 

I'll never understand why people here get so specific about injuries like has a RB ever returned from achilles. Sooo if a WR, LB, FB, TE, S, and CB have, we're going to disregard that? There is some injury history with player names earlier in this thread.

Achilles seems to be what they're onto now. The ACL was a thing and the medical/scientific world fixed that and now ACLs aren't career ending. It seems to be hit or miss and still a work in progress. My Titans had a DL hang it up and another come back stronger than ever. It seems to be that way all over the league. The Steelers had a curious rash of achilles injuries and spent a lot of money on research and helping the cause. If you want factual data, maybe dig after that.

Foreman was over the achilles. You can stop blaming that. There's enough quotes and enough video of him doing things he'd never be doing if he didn't overcome it. Watch the videos or read, the cuts are smooth, a faster 40 time, great push in blocking drills, nice ups...it is not the achilles.

I had read he worked out with some Cowboys aside from Texans. I was wondering if the guy took a break at all. Breaks are real important to players in the calendar year. Camp would seem like a marathon to him without the spring break. 

I imagine his buddies on the Boys are recommending they pick him up.

And the "that's what his problem was at Texas" stuff is garbage. Did you miss the ESPN highlights of him hurdling NFL players? There wasn't a college injury holding him back as he flew over another player. 

Foreman was tough, not fast, and people questioned if he'd be good in the NFL. Despite his tough style, he wasn't the best on "and 1" situations and that makes it difficult to find a spot for him. I have always figured this is fixable but...maybe not. Maybe he is one of many backs that need a fullback leading the way? I don't know but this tough back wasn't that great.

There's an awful lot of hype in here for a back that had 327 yards. In any other context, only 327 yards entering year three would not breed any type of job security.

I'll never understand why people here get so specific about injuries like has a RB ever returned from achilles. Sooo if a WR, LB, FB, TE, S, and CB have, we're going to disregard that? 
WR, LB, FB, TE, S are all different positions than RB. Different demands. The explosion needed is so luch more important for RBs. 

Furthermore, studies would suggest that any position will have difficulty coming back from a rupture. 

Achilles seems to be what they're onto now. The ACL was a thing and the medical/scientific world fixed that and now ACLs aren't career ending.
Theres a reason that someone's biggest weakness has always been called their "Achilles heel." Achillies ruptures always have been devastating and anyone to suggest that it shouldn't be, or it's just the flavor of the decade for injuries, is sorely undereducated in the topic and/or doesnt understand at all why this is so devastating. You may as well cut the foot off and sew it back on. 

Users who are viewing this thread