What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

And on that day, Net Neutrality died (1 Viewer)

Sometimes it feels like political opinions are purely based upon whether or not it upsets people from the other party.

"Hey, if it bothers the liberals (or Republicans) it must be good."

:lmao:

So much manufactured hysteria. 

Do you know what their new promise says?

I'll help.

Would you explain the difference between:

"not throttle back the speed at which content comes to you" and "not prioritize internet traffic" 

AND

"we do not block, slow down, or discriminate against lawful content"

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the "lawful content" part.

So, I guess anyone who streams illegal content should be upset. Is that why you guys are so upset?
Net Neutrality and Title II protected us from the shady #### ISP's did.

Pre 2015, Netflix had to cut deals with ISP due to them allowing interconnection points to get congested.

Post Title II implementation, Cogent's CEO says that interconnection points are nearly congestion free.

Also, blocking and throttling are not banned under Restoring Internet Freedom.  In paragraph 259, the FCC writes: “We find the no-blocking and no-throttling rules are unnecessary to prevent the harms that they were intended to thwart.” So, they promise not to throttle, but since there are no rules against it, they can throttle, since they have throttled in the past.

You can read what they say and believe them, or you can look at what they have done to judge what they will do.

Most of the nation only has one legitimate option for high speed internet.

Technically there are competitors but you get significantly lower speeds for the same prices, or more.  For example I can get up to a 300 MB connection, allegedly, from my cable company and the next competitor can offer a max of 25 MB for the same price. That holds for all speed price points.  That feels like a no-choice "choice" to me.
Right, I get that, I guess it was more the 2nd part of what I bolded.  

they start feeling it in their pocketbooks, they may finally see the light on this issue

Right, I get that, I guess it was more the 2nd part of what I bolded.  

they start feeling it in their pocketbooks, they may finally see the light on this issue
Sadly people are acting like this is a partisan issue and it's not. When the people who support the people who overturned NN, start suffering increased costs perhaps they will realize this isn't about party affiliation and speak out in favor or reinstating NN like they should have from the beginning.

https://youtu.be/ltzy5vRmN8Q

The repeal of Net Neutrality is a hot topic in America, but it can be very difficult to understand. That’s why the BURGER KING® brand created WHOPPER® Neutrality, a social experiment that explains the effects of the repeal of Net Neutrality by putting it in terms anyone can understand: A WHOPPER® sandwich.

Small print disclaimer at the end says it was actual customers.

Surprised there isn’t more discussion on this again with the Senate trying to pass something to reinstate NN. They need one Republican vote apparently. 

I had earlier emailed my Rep (R) and his response some time ago was some spiel about it being good for the consumer. But in a twist today, since I’m now on his mailing list, he sent a poll about whether I agreed with FCC repeal. Of course I voted Strongly Disagree. He might see some numbers on this and change his mind. But he probably barely knows what the internet is so I’m not holding my breath. 

Email your Senators and Representatives!

Surprised there isn’t more discussion on this again with the Senate trying to pass something to reinstate NN. They need one Republican vote apparently. 

I had earlier emailed my Rep (R) and his response some time ago was some spiel about it being good for the consumer. But in a twist today, since I’m now on his mailing list, he sent a poll about whether I agreed with FCC repeal. Of course I voted Strongly Disagree. He might see some numbers on this and change his mind. But he probably barely knows what the internet is so I’m not holding my breath. 

Of course it's good for consumers. It's good for them to pay more money to corporations who make contributions to political campaigns to keep the same representatives who probably believe they have the interests of their constituents at heart and...hmmmmm...Therefore...uhhh...erm....repeal = good?

I called my senator and told him I supported Net Neutrality.  Ted Cruz.  Wonder how he'll vote...

I called my senator and told him I supported Net Neutrality.  Ted Cruz.  Wonder how he'll vote...

Cmon.

Cmon.
I don’t get it. Why was I quoted in this cryptic way?

ACLU is telling me the Senate voted to reverse the FCC decision (to kill net neutrality). Hooray?

I guess we need to convince our House Reps of the same now.

Johnny Rock said:
I don’t get it. Why was I quoted in this cryptic way?
Because both of you vote R and think you can pressure your R reps to change their minds.  That's hilarious.

Because both of you vote R and think you can pressure your R reps to change their minds.  That's hilarious.
You set the comedy bar low, friend.  I envy you, you must be laughing all day long.

Att is in his back pocket. Not happening 
It's all setting up for 5G rollouts and network slicing capabilities. This will enable operators to provide portions of their networks for specific customer use cases. People really don't understand how much control and power these wireless operators will have with 5G, absent net neutrality. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A small win for Net Neutrality. Could’ve been way worse.

Still under Pai’s repeal for now but it leaves the door open to hopefully a bigger NN win later. 

Users who are viewing this thread