What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jamaal Williams, NO (1 Viewer)

..you can play with broken/bruised rib(s).. but maybe not this week

Last edited by a moderator:
It's being reported as a knee. I watched it again and he got twisted up and immediately grabbed his knee. Players in pile called for medical staff right away.  He tried to get up and went back down. 
GEZ, I didn't see that. It cut to a commercial after he was on the ground......good to know.

Thanks!

Tex

does the bears run D get credit for making him look like a JAG? or is he a JAG... sure wasnt much dropoff from williams to jones. assuming monty gets back a couple weeks he doesn't have to fear either taking his job

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter  3m3 minutes ago

More

Packers RB Jamaal Williams MRI results came back negative - no ligament damage, purely muscular, per source. Could miss next game, not more.

I was holding my breath. Williams has a ton of potential in that offense.

A thunder guy who compliments their air attack. Does everything well & wears defenses down.

Looking forward to seeing what Williams can do.

Williams is also a decent pass-catcher & a very good pass protector.

You never want to see anybody get hurt, but it happens. This opens the door for Williams if Montgomery is out awhile. He's not a sure thing, but I like him in that offense. Very physical runner.

This won't be popular with the Jones guys, but I don't believe he's an NFL feature back. Without going into details on players, in short, my theory is you need specific traits if you're a smaller RB in today's NFL. It's the reason I wasn't high on Abdullah coming out. On the contrary, I like Cohen, especially in PPR. He's tiny, but has specific traits that offset his size.

It remains to be seen what Jones & Abdullah will do. Sure, they could prove me wrong, but I've been successful with this approach.

I was holding my breath. Williams has a ton of potential in that offense.

A thunder guy who compliments their air attack. Does everything well & wears defenses down.

Looking forward to seeing what Williams can do.
does he have any vision? he looked awfully plodding last night in his limited work.

does he have any vision? he looked awfully plodding last night in his limited work.
I like the total package. I didn't notice anything negative about his vision in college. Williams has pretty decent burst, as well.

He's one of those guys that does everything well & I think he's a perfect fit in their offense. They could use some thunder.

Tough, physical runner who can wear you down, but he's not a plodder. Very good pass pro & a better receiver than he gets credit for.

He's not a sure thing, but I like Williams to eventually emerge as their starting RB at some point (this season or next). That said, it's one of the more difficult backfields to project.

glad i checked this topic before i dropped him for d'onta foreman. right move to keep while this pans out?
I'd definitely keep Williams, but then again, I happen to be fairly high on him.

I'm assuming you're referring to redraft, in which case, it's looking like Williams could get an opportunity before Foreman. At least what we know today.

I'd definitely keep Williams, but then again, I happen to be fairly high on him.

I'm assuming you're referring to redraft, in which case, it's looking like Williams could get an opportunity before Foreman. At least what we know today.
Seems like he is a good fit for a one-cut zone scheme.

glad i checked this topic before i dropped him for d'onta foreman. right move to keep while this pans out?
Foreman > Williams... Both players are back up to the players who have never proven on staying healthy (Lamar can't produce if getting more than 15 carries and Ty have not had experience a heavy dose of carries dating back to his college days at Stanford).  The only reason I like Foreman is his coach's commitment in run-heavy offense.  Williams has opportunity to be productive in one of top offensive teams especially red-zone opportunity.  Alas, he got hurt when given an opportunity last night (does anyone think a wet and sloppy field was culprit?).

O'Brien just started he sees Foreman as a 3 down back. On that note I own both and will probably drop Williams in redraft next week for a bye week QB(if Mont plays or Williams is out multiple weeks.)

I think Jones actually has decent size himself, he's short but compact.  5'9" 208 for Jones and 6' 212 for Williams.  Jones might actually be "bigger" from a durability sense and I don't think he is a small back even though he may have some small back skills. Montgomery is actually listed at 6' 216... odd that he is listed as bigger than Williams, he doesn't look it.

From what I saw, they looked pretty comparable as runners.  We didn't get a long look at Williams though and he didn't have many runs that were well blocked so it's hard to tell much from that.  I did notice that the Packers didn't let a situation occur where Jones could have missed a block leading to Rodgers getting hit...  If Jones pass blocked at all it was a bootleg away from him, even when Hundley was in.

The one to own is the one who is getting the most volume.  This is a mess like the Seattle backfield.  I'd try to own them all if I had the roster spots and see who shakes out. 

I think Jones actually has decent size himself, he's short but compact.  5'9" 208 for Jones and 6' 212 for Williams.  Jones might actually be "bigger" from a durability sense and I don't think he is a small back even though he may have some small back skills. Montgomery is actually listed at 6' 216... odd that he is listed as bigger than Williams, he doesn't look it.

From what I saw, they looked pretty comparable as runners.  We didn't get a long look at Williams though and he didn't have many runs that were well blocked so it's hard to tell much from that.  I did notice that the Packers didn't let a situation occur where Jones could have missed a block leading to Rodgers getting hit...  If Jones pass blocked at all it was a bootleg away from him, even when Hundley was in.

The one to own is the one who is getting the most volume.  This is a mess like the Seattle backfield.  I'd try to own them all if I had the roster spots and see who shakes out. 
Williams is a much more physical runner & much stronger than Jones. It's why I have some different indicators applied to Jones' profile & why I believe he needs to have specific traits as a smaller RB to succeed.

The Green Bay backfield is very interesting from a dynasty perspective. Lots of people are high on Jones & I can appreciate that, but I don't believe he's an NFL feature back. Not sure Williams is either, although, I like his overall package.

As always, time will tell on these guys.

If Williams is fully healthy, I'd be shocked if he doesn't get the start & receive the vast majority of snaps. Touches are a little more difficult to predict, but I suspect Jones will at least get a few. Hard to say how many touches either one will get, though.

If Williams isn't 100%, & only they would know that because he's not on the injury report, then all bets are off & it should be more of a split.

Is anyone starting him? With Sean Lee out, I want to, but I can't justify it with my other options. Won't be surprised if I regret leaving him on the bench, but would have so much regret if he put up a dud and like 5 guys from my bench outscored him. Will still be very interested in watching him get his shot. He's got true 3 down workhorse potential. 

Is anyone starting him? With Sean Lee out, I want to, but I can't justify it with my other options. Won't be surprised if I regret leaving him on the bench, but would have so much regret if he put up a dud and like 5 guys from my bench outscored him. Will still be very interested in watching him get his shot. He's got true 3 down workhorse potential. 
It's fairly risky until we see more, but like always, it depends on your other options.

It's fairly risky until we see more, but like always, it depends on your other options.
Yeah, I've got some very solid options so I can't justify the risk, but I'm pretty sure he'll be, at a minimum, getting any goal line opps and against this Sean Lee-less defense, that's a pretty ripe fantasy matchup. But without knowing the split and only seeing a handful of preseason and in-season carries (which seems to be enough for people to say Jones is clearly better than him  :rolleyes:  - they are both good, IMO, but with Williams' game being better for a 3 down role) it would be crazy to start him over known commodities with know roles. But I'm still curious if anyone is starting him due to the plus matchup.

Yeah, I've got some very solid options so I can't justify the risk, but I'm pretty sure he'll be, at a minimum, getting any goal line opps and against this Sean Lee-less defense, that's a pretty ripe fantasy matchup. But without knowing the split and only seeing a handful of preseason and in-season carries (which seems to be enough for people to say Jones is clearly better than him  :rolleyes:  - they are both good, IMO, but with Williams' game being better for a 3 down role) it would be crazy to start him over known commodities with know roles. But I'm still curious if anyone is starting him due to the plus matchup.
If the Pack get a down from the 1, my money is on Ripkowski pounding it in, over any of the running backs.

Because I have Aaron Jones in a dynasty league, I just grabbed Jamaal Williams.  One thing I've noticed about him, statistically speaking, is that he's had more success receiving than running, and that dates back to the preseason.  Everything I read indicated that his surest route to success was to run it between the tackles, and he did punch one in from the 1 yard line last week.  Can anyone elaborate on this dichotomy?  

Cant speak to the dichotomy, other than to say...great SAT word!  I do think Williams is worth a dynasty hold though.  Jones flashed on a few runs, but apparently blew an assignment last week, and didnt put up any numbers.  Another week or two like that, and Williams may find himself in position to earn more carries.  If he does well with them, he could leapfrog his way back into a role.  

I just think the packers will be a mess the rest of the season.  There is very little value in any of these guys.  

If not for the knee injury Williams suffered after Montgomery hurt his ribs (in the same game), Jones may never have gotten his chance.

Jones has looked good at times, but I like Williams & you can't count him out long-term. The feature back job for next season is yet to be determined. I kinda doubt they draft a RB on day 1 or 2.

The coming weeks could be telling.

With the injuries today this guy the starter now? 
might want to check out Mays

Williams has looked so bad thus far this season, I wouldn' be surprised if Mays gets more work than Williams next week if ty and Jones are both out

I only saw a few of Williams' touches, but he looked good & was noticeably more aggressive.

It finally seems like he's starting to play loose (way too tight earlier in the season).

I'm anxious to see all his touches this week.

Don't forget about this kid in your dynasty leagues.

Dr. Dan said:
might want to check out Mays

Williams has looked so bad thus far this season, I wouldn' be surprised if Mays gets more work than Williams next week if ty and Jones are both out
:rolleyes:  Total carries in first 8 games: 11

Hard to say a rookie has looked bad when he hasn't really played. He did something right because he was taking some first team snaps in training camp. Yesterday he was playing against stacked boxes in obvious running situations and he kept moving the chains, but you're not going to average 5 ypc like that unless the defense makes a big mistake.

Now that's not to say Mays can't be good, but it's a little early to be shoveling dirt on Williams. Both Matt Waldman and the Packers liked him more than Aaron Jones out of college, so he showed enough to them to warrant at least a little patience from fantasy owners. With Rodgers hurt, his scoring opportunities will be limited and more men will be in the box, so it's hard to recommend blowing a lot of FAAB on him this week, but we're going into week 11... if people still have FAAB left, not sure something more appealing is going to come by. Then again, we need to hear about Ty's ribs and the severity of Jones' MCL sprain. I wouldn't bother for a 1 week rental or a RBBC if Ty will be back this week.

I don’t think Mays will jump him.  Kid ran hard yesterday and earned a chance to be the main guy.  

I do expect they won’t pound just one guy into the ground though...given how banged up they are at the position.  Expect we see more of Cobb back there too.

I only saw a few of Williams' touches, but he looked good & was noticeably more aggressive.

It finally seems like he's starting to play loose (way too tight earlier in the season).

I'm anxious to see all his touches this week.

Don't forget about this kid in your dynasty leagues.
I agree. While his YPC yesterday was low, I thought he looked pretty good grinding for those yards.  He looked aggressive, and ran violently. I think he's the top pickup this week.

Around The NFL‏Verified account @AroundTheNFL 55m55 minutes ago

Packers RB Aaron Jones expected to miss about a month with sprained MCL, @RapSheet reports

Link

I disagree about Williams but at this point no GB rb is going to be the savior. I liked Williams coming out of college but he hasn't been that same player so far. those that want to comment on his lack of carries before this last week, and how its too early to tell, you didn't watch those carries apparently or the preseason. guy has been a lump on a log since day 1. would be nice if he played to his potential, but imo he's JAG

Picked him up for nothing 2 weeks ago on the wire in my dynasty.

Time to give him a start this week (along with McCoy and Drake) gotta bench Miller with Deshaun out for the year. Texans are dead meat now on offense.

He ran very hard this past weekend and hey.....he will get most of the touches this week. Worth a shot.

How is he as a pass catcher?  Is he a decent PPR candidate?
From what I've read, he's quite capable but was not utilized as a pass catcher in college. His PPR upside will be determined by Ty Montgomery's availability. I haven't seen anything definitive about his aggravation of the rib injury. It wouldn't shock me if he plays this week, thus limiting Williams.

How is he as a pass catcher?  Is he a decent PPR candidate?
He's a decent all-around receiver. Nothing special, but certainly not bad.

Williams is somebody I was fairly high on coming out, but he had been playing so tight. Didn't even look like the guy I scouted at BYU.

The few plays I saw of Williams last week showed a big difference. Like night & day. The one play where he got hit behind the LOS & powered through tacklers for a 1st down was awesome. I don't believe any other current Green Bay RB could've done that.

When playing loose & aggressive, Williams is powerful & fairly dynamic. I'm curious to see if he can keep it going & show even more.

Williams has the talent to be a feature back, IMO. It just depends on if he can put everything together.

Users who are viewing this thread