What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jamaal Williams, NO (2 Viewers)

I like Williams a lot and i think he landed in a good spot, competing against a WR.

Most important thing to consider imo is the other rookie rb they drafted, Aaron Jones.

Williams is a between the tackles bruiser, not wholly one dimensional. Jones, the more modern of the two imo is a little bit of everything with one of the nastiest stiff arms ive ever seen.

I wouldnt feel comfortable owning just one of them before the workloads are known, both are affordable now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't be that much of a sleeper, he's going early to mid 2nd
He's in that same category as Mack to me that people are moving him up too much due to situation.  Looks like I'm taking the ones that slide to the 3rd.

He's in that same category as Mack to me that people are moving him up too much due to situation.  Looks like I'm taking the ones that slide to the 3rd.
Of course it depends on league, but my non PPR has almost all of the RBs done by round 2.

9 of 14 round 1 picks were RBs

6 of 14 in round 2 were RBs

In our draft I took Jamaal after Kamara and Hunt were picked with Mack and Foreman on the board.

Maybe I shouldve taken Foreman instead of Jamaal, but I like his path to significant playing time and GBs offense is a tier or two better than houstons.

Mack was highly thought of before the draft. He went later than expected, but landed in a good spot. I don't think people are moving him up. Williams is being moved up a lot. I wouldn't spend a 2nd on him personally.

in non-IDP and not superflex leagues .....these guys are not available in the 3rd round.....people like Connor and Joe Williams are. even Wayne Freaking Gallman is going in the 2nd.

Grabbed him at 1.10 in a non-ppr and followed it up by grabbing Aaron Jones at 2.10
I like the strategy.  1.10 might have been a tad early but you pick where you pick.

ETA: Even more so in a 14 teamer.  It can be a challenge to assemble a back field.

I like the strategy.  1.10 might have been a tad early but you pick where you pick.
I pick 1.11, and am planning on ''reaching'' for a guy I like.  

After the big 7 (I include OJ Howard), I can make a strong argument against any of the consensus next picks.  

I pick 1.11, and am planning on ''reaching'' for a guy I like.  

After the big 7 (I include OJ Howard), I can make a strong argument against any of the consensus next picks.  
exactly but the next tier seems to be a combo of:

Kamara, ross, engram, hunt, zay and JuJu. after that mack, Jamaal W. Njoku

Meh.  If we're going of "metrics" alone, he is super unimpressive.  Knee/ankle injuries, suspended in college and Alfred Morris comps?  

I saw Aaron Jones tear teams up on a crappy UTEP offense.  I'd rather gamble on him in the 3rd/4th than spend a pick on a plodder in the 2nd.

I took him at 2.15 16 team ppr idp league.  Then got Aaron Jones at 5.03

I feel like I've love my draft

1.10 Njoku.     

1.15 Jarrad Davis

2.02 Rueben Foster 

2.11 Curtis Samuel

2.14 Adarius Stewart

2.15 Jamaal Williams

3.03 traded for 2 future 2nds

4.06 Joe Williams

4.11 Raekwon McMillan

5.03 Aaron jones

5.12 Donell Pumphrey

5.14 otc deciding between Budda and Kittle

Something that is interesting just looking at Williams stats is that he had 27 receptions as a freshman. 18 as a Sophomore, 8 as a Junior in 2014 then he missed a year. 7 as a senior. It keeps going down each year.

27 receptions is pretty good for a college RB though. I wonder why they  kept reducing his role n this area each year?

Jamal Williams receiving stats

2012 36 targets 27 receptions (75%) 315 yards 8.75 ypt
2013 25 targets 18 receptions (72%) 125 yards 5 ypt
2014 11 targets 8 recptions (72.7%) 47 yards 4.2 ypt
2016 13 targets 7 receptions (53.9%) 80 yards 6.15 ypt

Total 85 targets 60 receptions (70%) 567 yards 6.7 yards per target

The catch percentage is a bit below average for a RB and the yards per target are below average. The numbers from his freshman year are decent though. 

Looking at their QB play, they change their QB every year during this time frame and Ricky Nelson is not noticeably better than their other QBs were in passing yards and completion percentage, in fact Nelson was a bit less efficient than the QB who followed him. So that doesn't really explain why Williams was more efficient in 2012 than years since then.

In my two rookie drafts I have preferred other RBs in the area Williams is going, and since I like A.Jones just as much, I like him later. 

I picked Jones at #28 in one league, but in another league I had 10 picks earlier than that, so I watched him fall to #57. There are 5 owners new to dynasty in this league, and two more that traded all of their picks before the draft, so that may explain the fall.

I took him at 2.15 16 team ppr idp league.  Then got Aaron Jones at 5.03

I feel like I've love my draft

1.10 Njoku.     

1.15 Jarrad Davis

2.02 Rueben Foster 

2.11 Curtis Samuel

2.14 Adarius Stewart

2.15 Jamaal Williams

3.03 traded for 2 future 2nds

4.06 Joe Williams

4.11 Raekwon McMillan

5.03 Aaron jones

5.12 Donell Pumphrey

5.14 otc deciding between Budda and Kittle
Samuel went 27th overall?  Joe Williams 54th?

Ummm...........

I like Williams a lot and i think he landed in a good spot, competing against a WR.

Most important thing to consider imo is the other rookie rb they drafted, Aaron Jones.

Williams is a between the tackles bruiser, not wholly one dimensional. Jones, the more modern of the two imo is a little bit of everything with one of the nastiest stiff arms ive ever seen.

I wouldnt feel comfortable owning just one of them before the workloads are known, both are affordable now.
As someone who doesn't play fantasy football anymore but loves the Packers, I approve this message.  

Honestly... I think Aaron Jones is a guy to watch. He is incredibly impressive. 

I know SPARQ isn't everything but the guy was #2 in this RB class
Yup. It was expensive but I'm hedging my bets.

Rookie RB8 and RB15 for a good shot at GB RB??? It pays off it's money.

Aaron Jones is a lot better than Williams and I expect him to prove it when given the opportunity.
He has better measurables, but tape says otherwise Williams has much better feet and vision.  One of the best in this class.  imo.

We've seen this dynamic where two backs get drafted with one well ahead of the other a lot of times now.  Seems like the later guy is always the fantasy darling.  How did those work out? (actually asking)

We've seen this dynamic where two backs get drafted with one well ahead of the other a lot of times now.  Seems like the later guy is always the fantasy darling.  How did those work out? (actually asking)
We've seen this in GB before, Jon Franklin vs Lacy. 

He has better measurables, but tape says otherwise Williams has much better feet and vision.  One of the best in this class.  imo.
I seldom watch youtube videos of players because IMO they don't tell the whole story of a player, only his best moments, but I did sit down and watch 30 minutes of Aaron Jones.  He has great feet and vision from what I saw, so if Williams has "much better feet and vision", he is a sure bet to be a HOFer.

JohnnyU said:
I seldom watch youtube videos of players because IMO they don't tell the whole story of a player, only his best moments, but I did sit down and watch 30 minutes of Aaron Jones.  He has great feet and vision from what I saw, so if Williams has "much better feet and vision", he is a sure bet to be a HOFer.
Because the 5th rounder's feet and vision are Pro Bowl level?  Makes sense.

When I watch this guy's tape I find myself seeing many of the same things I saw when I watched Jordan Howard's tape this time last year - impressive feet/hips for his size, brushing off arm tackles, always falling forward.  Hard to know how he might figure into the passing game. 

I'm a fan of this guy and will grab him where I can in my rookie drafts.  But I'm doing so with the sense the Packers are developing an offensive scheme this season reminiscent of what the Patriots do - weapons everywhere, opponent-specific game plans, and extreme difficulty predicting who (especially in the backfield) will be featured from game to game.

Williams is on my list of late round / cheap auction guys that have huge ceilings.  His competition for work is a 5th round rookie and a WR.  On one of the FBG's podcasts Matt Waldman was talking Williams up and said that he would have been the 4th rookie RB in his rankings based on film only.  He also didn't think Jones does anything better than Williams except have more speed, but followed it saying Williams was fast enough.

When I watch this guy's tape I find myself seeing many of the same things I saw when I watched Jordan Howard's tape this time last year - impressive feet/hips for his size, brushing off arm tackles, always falling forward.  Hard to know how he might figure into the passing game. 

I'm a fan of this guy and will grab him where I can in my rookie drafts.  But I'm doing so with the sense the Packers are developing an offensive scheme this season reminiscent of what the Patriots do - weapons everywhere, opponent-specific game plans, and extreme difficulty predicting who (especially in the backfield) will be featured from game to game.
Be cautious on your expectations. GB finished third last last season in rushing attempts per game. Granted, they did not have a RB. When they had a talented RB, Lacy, he was fed the ball plenty of times. I hope to see them go back to that. Everyone is looking for this year's Howard, and many are pegging Williams as such. I think no matter what RB GB took he'd be considered a potential Howard pick this season. Just based off of opportunity alone. Probably rightfully so

Williams is on my list of late round / cheap auction guys that have huge ceilings.  His competition for work is a 5th round rookie and a WR.  On one of the FBG's podcasts Matt Waldman was talking Williams up and said that he would have been the 4th rookie RB in his rankings based on film only.  He also didn't think Jones does anything better than Williams except have more speed, but followed it saying Williams was fast enough.
I believe Jones is a better receiver. Faster also, yes. 

As a fan, I am super excited at our depth at RB and I am curious to see how it shakes out. I hold the opinion that Ty will be old news this time next year. Jones may pass Williams up long term, but I am excited to see what Williams can do. No one knows though...

If someone says they know how the Packers' running back group will shake out in 2017, they're either lying or from the future.

Williams is a chainsaw of a runner, with a strong, muscular body, an appetite for running between the tackles and the balance and strength to rip through tackle attempts at every level of the field. His tape at BYU isn’t flashy, but he’s already an advanced zone runner capable of reading his keys, making a decisive cut and getting up the field. Rarely was he tackled by the first defender, and he almost always fell forward through contact to finish a run. He also shares an athletic profile with Bears running back Jordan Howard.

Be cautious on your expectations. GB finished third last last season in rushing attempts per game. Granted, they did not have a RB. When they had a talented RB, Lacy, he was fed the ball plenty of times. I hope to see them go back to that. Everyone is looking for this year's Howard, and many are pegging Williams as such. I think no matter what RB GB took he'd be considered a potential Howard pick this season. Just based off of opportunity alone. Probably rightfully so
Thanks for the input.  I didn't realize the Packers had such a high rate of rush attempts last season.  I don't have any data to offer to support my feelings here, just a gut instinct I guess.  It seems McCarthy tries to revise his offense every season and based on the moves this offseason (such as adding two multi-faceted TEs and drafting 3 RBs) I have a suspicion this year's offense will be dynamic in unique and unpredictable ways, ala New England.  If that's the case, even if Williams wins the RB1 gig outright I could see games in which Montgomery is featured....or Jones is featured....on no RB is featured.

Regarding the Howard comps, I didn't mean to suggest I see Williams having the same kind of impact Howard had last season.  I would be shocked (pleasantly so, of course) if he did.  What I meant was, when I watch his college tape I feel like I'm watching Howard's college tape.

Thanks for the input.  I didn't realize the Packers had such a high rate of rush attempts last season.  I don't have any data to offer to support my feelings here, just a gut instinct I guess.  It seems McCarthy tries to revise his offense every season and based on the moves this offseason (such as adding two multi-faceted TEs and drafting 3 RBs) I have a suspicion this year's offense will be dynamic in unique and unpredictable ways, ala New England.  If that's the case, even if Williams wins the RB1 gig outright I could see games in which Montgomery is featured....or Jones is featured....on no RB is featured.

Regarding the Howard comps, I didn't mean to suggest I see Williams having the same kind of impact Howard had last season.  I would be shocked (pleasantly so, of course) if he did.  What I meant was, when I watch his college tape I feel like I'm watching Howard's college tape.
A lot of people have made that same comparison. I agree. It translated well for Howard so maybe it will for Williams.

When they had Lacy they ran the ball a lot and it was fun to watch a balanced attack. The last 2 seasons it's been kind of pathetic to watch Rodgers throw for an entire series. They need a running attack and it looks like they have talent to do it. I agree, it's kind of neat to think about what could happen in the GB backfield with all that talent. It will very much be like NE where you will think one RB will be the one to own but its just a number of them, maybe each one going off in a particular week depending on the matchup. NFL is an imitation league. Show one thing works and suddenly everyone copies. 

He actually said the Packers were 3rd lowest for RB opportunities, not 3rd highest. 

2011 Draft - new England drafted Shane Vereen at 56 and Stevan Ridley at 73

Users who are viewing this thread